Besides being overpaid, why all the Cobb hate?

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm just curious....

He actually holds the receiving group together since Nelson is back..

Cobb is NOT and NEVER WILL BE a "number 1" so yes he is overpaid

BUT....

With the way the receiving corp is structured:

Nelson and Adams on the OUTSIDE
Cobb, Bennett, Kendricks to work the MIDDLE

He kind of holds it all together..

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't understand it either. It's true he hasn't performed up to his contract but he's easily one of the best three receivers on the roster.

Reaction score
Cobb is our Donald Driver. He might not be our #1. But the second a Defense takes focus off him hes crafty enough to become our #1 that given play.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It really is just him being overpaid.

Cobb is a great player + teammate and always gives it his all.

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The fact that he is overpaid, and has the tendency to disappear for entire games at a time, same reasons that cause the hate for 52.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I like Cobb but he does disappear at times. I think they wanna go bigger though in the middle and use more multiple TE sets so it makes Cobb somewhat expendable.

That is until someone gets hurt so I think they should keep him unless he was involved in getting a guy like Richard Sherman. Then I would have no problem with Allison being the 3rd guy along with drafting Carlos Henderson who is a "faster Cobb"

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As a few have said, other than the overpaid part I don't think there really is any hate. Take 3 million off his cap hit and no one would be complaining. As far as disappearing every WR disappears at times. Sometimes teams just shut them down and offenses go in a different direction.

OP
OP
kevans74

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The fact that he is overpaid, and has the tendency to disappear for entire games at a time, same reasons that cause the hate for 52.

not really...

Cobb is/can be used in a variety of ways...

he plays in the backfield a lot, moves around in the inside slots, can return kicks... threat to throw a pass on a TRICK PLAY

He's kind of what Percy Harvin was in a sense (while Harvin was good)

He's essentially a "very good" number 2 WR when you have a true "number one" (Jordy Nelson)

OP
OP
kevans74

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Cobb but he does disappear at times. I think they wanna go bigger though in the middle and use more multiple TE sets so it makes Cobb somewhat expendable.

That is until someone gets hurt so I think they should keep him unless he was involved in getting a guy like Richard Sherman. Then I would have no problem with Allison being the 3rd guy along with drafting Carlos Henderson who is a "faster Cobb"

Hell yea I would do it for Sherman...

Hell our 1st round, Hundley, Cobb

For Sherman and some picks I would do it

* we would most likely get some late round picks back as well is my thinking...

But even before this talk, Cobb was getting heat

He's not worth $10 mil/year I get that but he's not "too far off" like Clay is i would say. Cobb produces at a respectable rate IMO

OP
OP
kevans74

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also...

Cobb has generally always had a very good Reception to Target %, so he's a pretty reliable target.... and I know a good number of those are screens lol, but still...

With TWO more big bodies.. Bennett and Kendricks... in now to also work the middle of the field, I would expect him to continue to be very good if not better

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Hell yea I would do it for Sherman...

Hell our 1st round, Hundley, Cobb

For Sherman and some picks I would do it

* we would most likely get some late round picks back as well is my thinking...

But even before this talk, Cobb was getting heat

He's not worth $10 mil/year I get that but he's not "too far off" like Clay is i would say. Cobb produces at a respectable rate IMO

Based on the reports of what the Seahawks want for Sherman I think it would be Cobb and a 3rd. The Seahawks want a good player and high pick or 1st.

Sherman wants out of Seattle.

OP
OP
kevans74

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Based on the reports of what the Seahawks want for Sherman I think it would be Cobb and a 3rd. The Seahawks want a good player and high pick or 1st.

Sherman wants out of Seattle.

That would be VERY ideal actually and make the team as a whole MUCH, MUCH better... My guess is TT would find a way to weasel out a late, late pick too though if that happened

which is fine i think

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The Packers have wasted money on a lot worse players. You also have to look at the big picture, same with Clay Matthews, Cobb's contract over 4 years. When Cobb was resigned, I think even the Packers knew he was being slightly overpaid but a worthwhile overpayment considering the alternatives and at the time had just come off of a season of these stats: 1,287 yds. 12 TD's and a 14.1 yd/catch ave. At the time, how do you justify not resigning him, without a crystal ball to the future? With his dead cap hits in year 2 and 3, how do you not keep him as long as he can stay healthy and somewhat productive? You also have to remember, that he is actually "making" an average of $10M/year on his 4 year contract. I keep seeing people throw out "he isn't worth $12M+".....that is the way that the math of his contract worked out, like it or not. In the first year of that contract he only counted as a $5.35M cap hit. Cobb will only be 28 years old next season (2018) the final year of his contract and only a $3.125M dead cap hit, the Packers will have a big decision to make at the end of the 2017 season.

I for one hope Cobb and the Packers can sit down at the end of this season and rework his contract to better reflect his future value to the Packers, because I love having him on the team, he and Aaron have established chemistry. I would like to see Jordy, Aaron and Randall stay together as long as possible.

Last edited:

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also think it's worth noting that AR12 thinks very highly of Cobb, and he wouldn't be happy if we let him go or traded him.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why is it 'hate' if someone gets called out for underperforming, doing a bad job or whatever?

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I also think it's worth noting that AR12 thinks very highly of Cobb, and he wouldn't be happy if we let him go or traded him.

I'm not bagging on Cobb but they got Rodgers some new toys with Bennett and Kendricks.

You don't think AR12 would be happy to see a no.1 corner come in and take some heat off the offense?

OP
OP
kevans74

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not bagging on Cobb but they got Rodgers some new toys with Bennett and Kendricks.

You don't think AR12 would be happy to see a no.1 corner come in and take some heat off the offense?

yea i concur here

Sherman, at his peak, is a Champ Bailey/Peterson/Sanders/Revis type of guy

He would INSTANTLY make our D so much better it isn't even funny

that would allow for House AND/OR Randall/Rollins to come up and compliment him

I think it would be worth it

BUT ALSO... it is contingent on how the Packers feel about Allison ( who i see as just a Jarret Boykin 2.0 tbh)

Could Allison "respectfully" replace Cobb?? Or maybe Trevor Davis...
Davante, I am sure will MOST LIKELY be resigned btw

D

Deleted member 6794

Then I would have no problem with Allison being the 3rd guy along with drafting Carlos Henderson who is a "faster Cobb"

Allison doesn't possess the same traits as Cobb though and would be a terrible replacement for him. The Packers would need to add a slot receiver if they let Cobb walk away.

OP
OP
kevans74

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Allison doesn't possess the same traits as Cobb though and would be a terrible replacement for him. The Packers would need to add a slot receiver if they let Cobb walk away.

my first guess for this would be Trevor Davis...

I agree with you on Allison though

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

Carlos Henderson does and could probably be gotten in 3rd round. I know he is a rookie but would rather gamble on a rookie here then at no.1 corner.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
It's not that I "hate" Cobb. I view him as one of the few players that would have value to other teams and plays a position that would not devastate the team if he were not here. WR & TE are the only positions that have any competent proven depth ATM.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts