Ben Steele?

vikefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is he still with you guys? I didn't get to see your game and haven't heard anything about him. I liked the guy when he was here.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, he's still here, and with Bubba Franks holding out he's getting lots of playing time with the #1 offense. In the scrimmage against Buffalo, he caught a couple TD passes from Favre. Now our #2 tight end, David Martin, is back from an injury, and started against San Diego, but Steele still spent a lot of time on the field early in the game. He seems to have gotten over his case of the "dropsies" from last season. I'm not sure how good a blocker he is. I can see why you liked him. He seems like a hard worker.

OP
OP
V

vikefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Yes, he's still here, and with Bubba Franks holding out he's getting lots of playing time with the #1 offense. In the scrimmage against Buffalo, he caught a couple TD passes from Favre. Now our #2 tight end, David Martin, is back from an injury, and started against San Diego, but Steele still spent a lot of time on the field early in the game. He seems to have gotten over his case of the "dropsies" from last season. I'm not sure how good a blocker he is. I can see why you liked him. He seems like a hard worker.
Thanks for the info...sure is fun to have football back.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's good to hear from a fan who still appreciates a player even after he's left your team. I usually forget about players after they leave the Packers. Maybe I should be a little more gracious. I'll think about it, anyway.

You guys are in good shape at tight end with Wiggins. That guy's hard to tackle.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you too.

I dont like ben steele. he made that great play last year on special teams, but he cant catch for his life. His blocking must be pretty good.

I'm rooting for him I guess...but I can only watch so many more drops before I call for his head.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have nop problem when someone left my team in good terms I still like and respect Marco and Wahle a lot. I have problems with guys like Sharper that when leaving burn the bridges with stupid behaviour and low class interviews !!! :twisted:

Schmitty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Steele has been having a great traing camp. I saw him at practice a few times and he is catching every dam# thing thrown to him. He also looked good in the scrimmage and in preseason. I think when we get Bubba back, him and Steele are gonna be a great two TE tandom. Favre like those two TE sets.

lonewolf

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still think Steele is a #3 TE at best. But I can't see paying Bubba $4M, either.

It's not often that gracious and polite can be applied to a Vikings fan, vut Vikesfan deserves those adjectives! :)

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Steele makes the team, it'll be by default due to injuries or Franks not signed. Steele's problem is that he can't catch the ball consistently, not a good trait in a TE. I look for them to pick up a final cutdown TE from another team.

GBXU

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson's top priority right now needs to be getting Franks into camp.

Steele has been anything but consistent. He's driving the coaches nuts. That wouldn't be too bad if Martin's productive camps ever carried over into the season, so far that hasn't happened. The Packers gave Martin a 250k bonus this offseason (which was a mistake IMO) but right now he's the best we have.

TE is definitely our weakest position right now.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Franks will sign the final week of the pre-season or eat $2 mill. I doubt he would do that.

I can summarize our #2 tight end this way...Ben "hands made of" Steele.

I would never trust him with the game on the line.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
net said:
Franks will sign the final week of the pre-season or eat $2 mill. I doubt he would do that.

net nails it pretty well, with the notable exception of "never say never."

Players improve and develop -- the problem they face is they are always against a rapidly ticking clock. Steele's best prospect would be to make it as a #3 where he could by some time on development of consistency -- especially catching the rock.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce said:
net said:

net nails it pretty well, with the notable exception of "never say never."

Players improve and develop -- the problem they face is they are always against a rapidly ticking clock. Steele's best prospect would be to make it as a #3 where he could by some time on development of consistency -- especially catching the rock.
Agreed.... If Bubba goes away, we're looking at Sean McHugh as the guy slated to take his place and he's even more of a project in the making. Steele reminds me of a very young Mark Chmura, and Sean McHugh is supposed to be more of a 'blocking' tackle....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts