Beightol was a fall guy...

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT decides to replace 2 pro-bowl caliber guards with journeymen, mid-level FA's, or a rookie and Larry Beightol pays the ultimate price with his firing. Something really sucks about that... :evil:

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:
TT decides to replace 2 pro-bowl caliber guards with journeymen, mid-level FA's, or a rookie and Larry Beightol pays the ultimate price with his firing. Something really sucks about that... :evil:

and a pro bowl caliber Offensive Tackle that false started once per possession, inconsistent play from the interior line, Flanagan was subpar, teams found many ways to blitz us successfully...and i think we're past the "Rivera/Wahle" arguement

OP
OP
NDPackerFan

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think anyone should be "past the Rivera/Wahle argument" until we get two guards that can get the job done. Whitticker did alright for a rookie but needs to finish blocks and get a nasty streak. Flanagan came around big time from the beginning of the year in spite of fighting the sports hernia all season. BTW, I know Clifton had some false starts this year and some were at some pretty crucial times, but once per possession? I know you're exaggerating when you type that but come on...

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt that Beightol was fired because of the O-line's poor performance this season. Beightol was one of Sherman's most trusted assistant coaches, so he will probably follow his former boss if Sherman gets another head coaching job. Also, McCarthy is very particular about his O-line coaching, and is reportedly looking for someone with experience in the "zone blocking" scheme, whatever that is.

Beightol just didn't fit McCarthy's plans. Here is what Beightol had to say about his own firing: "I understand, a guy certainly wants to have his own people in here. I have no qualms about that.â€

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
There is NOT any 'rivera/wahle' argument seeing as the Packers could not match the offers they received from their current teams.

Get over it already.

Beightol just didn't fit McCarthy's plans. Here is what Beightol had to say about his own firing: "I understand, a guy certainly wants to have his own people in here. I have no qualms about that.â€

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:
:twisted: T.T. Never had any intention of providing Sherman or the coaches with what they needed. He was, from the beginning, building his own empire.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thats possible...........but we don't know for certain what was going through TT's mind. Ron Wolf certainly "built his own empire" when he came to Green Bay..........i don't hear too many people crying about that. Every GM does it. I think Beightol is a heck of a nice guy, and great coach. For whatever reason, McCarthy didn't want him back. Will he bring in someone good? I hope so.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jeff Jags is coming from Atlanta to be Offensive Coordinator AND offensive line coach. They want to put in the 'zone-blocking' system like the Falcons and the Broncos have. Larry B. said in the Journal-Sentinel this morning he understands the concept, but isn't experienced in it at all.

It's fairly routine for the team to ashcan most if not all the coaches from the prior administration.

Footnote: the Falcons had one of the best running attacks in the league with the zone system. Whether we have the players to perform in it is the secondary question.

Reaction score
net, this is exactly what I wrote down in the previous "OC-Bates Who" thread. You said it perfectly. McCarthy wants a new scheme in there, and Beightol admitted he could teach the new scheme, but isn't specialized in it ala Jeff J.

It seems like perhaps we do not have the guards for Beightol's scheme anymore, and so I think a change might be good. Our Tackles and Guards (Wells, Conston, maybe Whitt) are above average in the speed department for O-Line personell.

Gopackgo82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe with the zone blocking scheme we can throw anyone in the backfield and have them run for 1,000 yards, like Denver can. :D
Of course, we need guards for that to happen....but at least the scheme will be there.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Beightol is simply a casualty of a new coach...i would have liked him back myself, but you know what they say "Tough tacos." wait, do people say that? :)

Members online

Latest posts