Bears Will Be OK

Miskito

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was devestated just like everybody in Chicago when I saw Grossman drop to the turf, holding his knee. There goes the season, I thought. But after a couple of beers to drown my sorrows and talking it over with my wife, who cares more about football than she does about parasitic nematodes, I came to the realization that the Bears will be ok this year. At least as ok as we would have been with Grossman at the helm.

After his 3rd injury in as many years (remeber his broken digit his 1st year against the Chiefs) it's time to start thinking that Rex may be injury prone. I know that these were all dubbed "freak injuries" and that he never missed a game prior to his career before the Bears, but the fact remains - injuries have cost him playing time. It may be time to stop centering the Bears organization around a fragile QB.

Now the good news - Kyle Orton, who has been showing glimpses of stardom since last week. His arm speed, command of the offense and range has given the Bears hope in a QB that hasn't been seen in years - not even with Grossman. These next three weeks, with Orton at the #2 spot, will show the organization that this kid, who was a steal at the 4th round, deserves to be the Bears' starter.

Of course, this will not be done right away, with Hutchinson taking over, only because he's the only QB left who actually played for the Bears last year. But this will last only a few weeks, Orton will take over, Hutchinson will be forgotten and at the end of the year the Bears will have a long anticipated QB controversy between the boy wonder and the unlucky star.

I know that this is only week 2 of the preseason, but the Bears are certainly headed in the right direction. The injury to Grossman does hurt, but it will be a blessing in disguise once Orton comes in.

vikefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thats tough luck for Grossman. Say, who do you have for a kicker, or is there a battle between free agents, draftees,etc...?

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. As much as everyone seemed to be pinning their hopes on Grossman (including the players) he has yet to prove that he is going to be a great player. Orton looks good and I hope that they do not pull this stubborn "he gives us the best chance to win" crap while trying to force feed us Hutchinson again. Play the kid and get his feet wet. Look at Roethlisberger to see the possibilities.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
vikefan said:
Thats tough luck for Grossman. Say, who do you have for a kicker, or is there a battle between free agents, draftees,etc...?
The Bears signed Doug Brien. He was an outstanding kicker with the Jets but missed two FGs in the playoff lose to the Steelers and they let him go. That was a mistake and I am glade that they did it.

Members online

Latest posts