Bears support change in OT rule (effect of GB/Seahawks game)

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Even in a low scoring game like baseball, both teams get an equal shot at scoring. A 15 minute quarter cancels out the luck of the coin toss and the sting of one bad play and thus is a better way to determine the better team (on that given day).

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another 15 mins should be the way..

The play that for 4 quarters for a game

You're talking about a significant increase in injuries by playing a whole 5th quarter every time there is a tie in regulation. Then what happens if the game is still tied at the end of that 5th quarter? You're still in the position of needing an efficient and fair way of ending the game.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
You're talking about a significant increase in injuries by playing a whole 5th quarter every time there is a tie in regulation. Then what happens if the game is still tied at the end of that 5th quarter? You're still in the position of needing an efficient and fair way of ending the game.

How many games at regulation end are tied?

baseball allows both teams to go on offesnse

basketball gives both sides enough time

Maybe 15 is to much but both sides should get a chance

fanindaup

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with longtimefan's premise. I liked the thrill of sudden death but since we're looking for both sides to have an equal chance of winning the game and the rules have already been altered forever (we're not going back to sudden death now) I think coming up with a way for both sides to get a chance on offense and defense is the only fair solution and may make overtime more exciting as well.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I wondered about that, too, but the solution is to then call it a tie.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Interesting discussion, but with respect, do the league ever listen to the needs or wants of the fans ??

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do the Packers ever listen to the wants and needs of the fans?? ;)

No, the league and the Packers don't listen to the fans, nor should they. They make they're business decisions based on what's best for business, as they should.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Do the Packers ever listen to the wants and needs of the fans?? ;)

My point was do the league ever take a survey of fans regarding situations like this, or is it purely the owners who are canvassed about rules changes ? I wasn`t trying to be patronising :tup:. Just curious is all.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, the league and the Packers don't listen to the fans, nor should they. They make they're business decisions based on what's best for business, as they should.

I thought the point of this business was to lots of people watching the product, and I assume those are the fans. If they keep making decisions without listening to the fans, and I think they're missing what's best for business.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought the point of this business was to lots of people watching the product, and I assume those are the fans. If they keep making decisions without listening to the fans, and I think they're missing what's best for business.

Agree to an extent, HalfEmpty. They're aware of concerns and need to take them into consideration; but only as they effect business, not as being final decision makers.
The NFL being a business that basically makes money just by being, they could probably get away with thumbing their noses at us.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I don't quite get is if a tie is an acceptable overtime outcome, why bother with any kind of post-regulation play? Why not just go back to the way it was?

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How many games at regulation end are tied?

baseball allows both teams to go on offesnse

basketball gives both sides enough time

Maybe 15 is to much but both sides should get a chance

Baseball and basketball are irrelevant to the discussion. The incidence of injuries in those sports isn't even in the same ballpark as football.

And yes, 15 is too much. That was what I was getting at. It's moot anyway because the NFLPA would never agree to it. More importantly, what if both teams are still tied at the end of that extra period? Then you're still back where you started. At some point, for the sake of players' health, you have to find an expedient way to end the game fairly anyway.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I don't quite get is if a tie is an acceptable overtime outcome, why bother with any kind of post-regulation play? Why not just go back to the way it was?
Can't have a tie in the playoffs.