Are the Packers just a LITTLE cocky?

YouFrgotPoland

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes we're 9 and 0. Yes we're the defending SB champs. Yes our QB is playing the best football ever played ever. But going for it on 4th and 5? Lol you can't argue with results, but that is kind of funny... Definitely not the first time this season we've gone for similar. What was everyone else thinking on that call before the snap?

I know it's MM showing how much faith he has in the offense, deservedly so. But still... Risky...

Thoughts?

(Btw with all this being said, I don't mean to imply we are cocky like the Lions had been this season for instance. Still class acts across the board on our team as far as I'm concerned. It's more swagger for us than anything)

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it was... the right call (all things considered -- including our high-powered offense and their rookie QB under center). Also must consider if the punt would've touched back, it would've been ~ 20 yard field differential.

mor4les

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont think so, im pretty sure we where playing against the wind, and I think the ofense needed to convert some 4th downs to gain confidence just in case we need a 4th down in a close game in the future.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Yes we're 9 and 0. Yes we're the defending SB champs. Yes our QB is playing the best football ever played ever. But going for it on 4th and 5? Lol you can't argue with results, but that is kind of funny... Definitely not the first time this season we've gone for similar. What was everyone else thinking on that call before the snap?

I know it's MM showing how much faith he has in the offense, deservedly so. But still... Risky...

Thoughts?

Confident in our ability

Rodgers is a reliable passer and our receivers are reliable ball catchers. Our defense (for once) was playing well and Minnesota wasn't doing **** on offense. Plus when we went for it we were deep in our own territory, so had we not converted we would have given them the ball with unfavorable field position.

Why not try to keep the drive going the way Rodgers is playing anyway. You never know the defense could lay an egg at any time so it's always good to go for the throat and get the TD to preserve the lead Especially if you know the opposing defense can't stop you

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
I think it was a good call in light of the field position. 2411t called it right. Mashtay has way too much leg and from that distance it would have been a touchback, so yeah, why not go for it: especially the way the D had been playing up to that point.

Helmets

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, the call was made based on field postion and conditions - not because of a cocky attitude. The best coaches will go for it in that situation most often. You often hear the announcers call that position on the field "four down territory" because it is too far for a FG attempt and too close to punt.

Reaction score
The 4th down was probably in one of those gray areas. The area where you either try a long field goal, try to pin them back, or go for it. MM decided to go for it. I trust he will make the right decision most of the time

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
I was kind of wondering if MM was doing a bit to keep Crosby's record clean by not having to kick a long one against the wind. I mean Longwell came up short on a long try in that direction.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It had nothing to do with being cocky. Position on the field and the wind dictated the call. Too long for a field goal under the circumstances and a punt would probably have neted only a few yards if the 4th down call failed. Good call by MM.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, MN had just missed a field goal from a similar area and left it short. I think if it was still in the first quarter they would have kicked because the would have had the wind. But it was right after the second, so they changed sides and were going the same way MN was going.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cocky is good. You want them to think they're gonna beat everyone they face. Practice to win. Prepare to win. Play to win. Win.

SanDiegoCheese

West Coast Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cocky, I don't think so.
Confident (almost business like) YES!
If you are an offensive player, imagine the confidence booster having a coach that doesn't flinch and goes for it on 4th and 6. That lets you know, your coach has complete confidence in your ability as a pro to go out an execute what you learned during the week in practice and meetings.

Reaction score
Absolutely the right call. Where they were on the field a FG was iffy. This offense is playing as good as any team has played in recent memory. I don't call it cocky I call it confidence.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't call them cocky as much as confident. They have every right to be confident and even a little cocky too with the way they are playing. I think we be have reveling in this moment, basking in it, instead of wondering if the team is cocky. Let them, they have earned it. Seasons like this don't come around that often. I say seize it and own it.