1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Are the Packers just a LITTLE cocky?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by YouFrgotPoland, Nov 15, 2011.

1. YouFrgotPoland

YouFrgotPoland Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +66
    Yes we're 9 and 0. Yes we're the defending SB champs. Yes our QB is playing the best football ever played ever. But going for it on 4th and 5? Lol you can't argue with results, but that is kind of funny... Definitely not the first time this season we've gone for similar. What was everyone else thinking on that call before the snap?

I know it's MM showing how much faith he has in the offense, deservedly so. But still... Risky...

Thoughts?

(Btw with all this being said, I don't mean to imply we are cocky like the Lions had been this season for instance. Still class acts across the board on our team as far as I'm concerned. It's more swagger for us than anything)

2. 2411t

2411t Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +119
    I think it was... the right call (all things considered -- including our high-powered offense and their rookie QB under center). Also must consider if the punt would've touched back, it would've been ~ 20 yard field differential.

3. mor4les

mor4les Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +61
    I dont think so, im pretty sure we where playing against the wind, and I think the ofense needed to convert some 4th downs to gain confidence just in case we need a 4th down in a close game in the future.

4. Southpaw

Southpaw Endorphin Junkie

Ratings:
    +422
    Confident in our ability

Rodgers is a reliable passer and our receivers are reliable ball catchers. Our defense (for once) was playing well and Minnesota wasn't doing dick on offense. Plus when we went for it we were deep in our own territory, so had we not converted we would have given them the ball with unfavorable field position.

Why not try to keep the drive going the way Rodgers is playing anyway. You never know the defense could lay an egg at any time so it's always good to go for the throat and get the TD to preserve the lead Especially if you know the opposing defense can't stop you

5. Croak

Croak Terminally twisted.

Ratings:
    +1,389
    Perhaps he was unsure of the kick? And there is a difference between confidence and cocky.

6. neilfii

neilfii Hall of Fame Fan

Ratings:
    +714
    I think it was a good call in light of the field position. 2411t called it right. Mashtay has way too much leg and from that distance it would have been a touchback, so yeah, why not go for it: especially the way the D had been playing up to that point.

7. Helmets

Helmets Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +222
    Yes, the call was made based on field postion and conditions - not because of a cocky attitude. The best coaches will go for it in that situation most often. You often hear the announcers call that position on the field "four down territory" because it is too far for a FG attempt and too close to punt.

8. Trapped In Vikingville

Trapped In Vikingville Trapped

Ratings:
    +156
    Cocky? Nope. Gotta' little swagger? You bet!
    Trapped

• Like Like x 1
  9. Aaron rodgers is god

Aaron rodgers is god Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +154
    The 4th down was probably in one of those gray areas. The area where you either try a long field goal, try to pin them back, or go for it. MM decided to go for it. I trust he will make the right decision most of the time

10. greenandgold

greenandgold I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan

Ratings:
    +466
    I was kind of wondering if MM was doing a bit to keep Crosby's record clean by not having to kick a long one against the wind. I mean Longwell came up short on a long try in that direction.

11. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,379
    It had nothing to do with being cocky. Position on the field and the wind dictated the call. Too long for a field goal under the circumstances and a punt would probably have neted only a few yards if the 4th down call failed. Good call by MM.

12. Ceodore

Ceodore Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +185
    Yeah, MN had just missed a field goal from a similar area and left it short. I think if it was still in the first quarter they would have kicked because the would have had the wind. But it was right after the second, so they changed sides and were going the same way MN was going.

13. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,994
    We have threads wanting MM to be more aggressive and not let up on he gas..

Now when he does something to keep pedal to the ground, people are complaining?

• Like Like x 3
  14. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
    Cocky is good. You want them to think they're gonna beat everyone they face. Practice to win. Prepare to win. Play to win. Win.

15. SanDiegoCheese

SanDiegoCheese West Coast Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +185
    Cocky, I don't think so.
    Confident (almost business like) YES!
    If you are an offensive player, imagine the confidence booster having a coach that doesn't flinch and goes for it on 4th and 6. That lets you know, your coach has complete confidence in your ability as a pro to go out an execute what you learned during the week in practice and meetings.

16. IluvGB

IluvGB I <3 Packers!!!!

Ratings:
    +845
    I would add methodical !!!

17. packerfan4ever

packerfan4ever Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +53
    Like all have said swagger is more like it.

18. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +979
    It's not cockiness when you're the SB champions and you're walking the talk.

Then it's the truth.

• Like Like x 1
  19. The Real Pack Attack

The Real Pack Attack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +31
    Absolutely the right call. Where they were on the field a FG was iffy. This offense is playing as good as any team has played in recent memory. I don't call it cocky I call it confidence.

20. Kitten

Kitten Feline Cheesehead Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,429
    I wouldn't call them cocky as much as confident. They have every right to be confident and even a little cocky too with the way they are playing. I think we be have reveling in this moment, basking in it, instead of wondering if the team is cocky. Let them, they have earned it. Seasons like this don't come around that often. I say seize it and own it.