Are referees lazy about spotting the ball early in the game?

Brandon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have Sunday Ticket and I'm a pretty big fan of the game in general, so on Sundays I'm always flipping between games and just studying almost as much as watching. Now, is it just me, or are the refs really lazy about correctly spotting the football early on in the games?

I understand that the yellow line isn't official, which is why as often as I'm able I keep my eyes on the sticks when the ball carrier approaches the marker. I can't count how many times the ball carrier has appeared to be a full yard short of the marker, and yet no measurement, they just get awarded the first down. Is this to keep the game flowing or something? I mean even if it's 2nd and short in the NFL this can be a game changing dynamic rather than awarding the automatic first down.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In our house we are always asking how they know exactly where to place the ball.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have Sunday Ticket and I'm a pretty big fan of the game in general, so on Sundays I'm always flipping between games and just studying almost as much as watching. Now, is it just me, or are the refs really lazy about correctly spotting the football early on in the games?

I understand that the yellow line isn't official, which is why as often as I'm able I keep my eyes on the sticks when the ball carrier approaches the marker. I can't count how many times the ball carrier has appeared to be a full yard short of the marker, and yet no measurement, they just get awarded the first down. Is this to keep the game flowing or something? I mean even if it's 2nd and short in the NFL this can be a game changing dynamic rather than awarding the automatic first down.
Interesting speculation.
In a game that many claim is a game of inches, I've noticed time and again that the officials seem pretty careless spotting the ball.
I just never thought to peg it to a timeline.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think the teams care all that much or they would argue. It might also be a case of camera angles. They usually have the sideline camera on a golf cart near the line of scrimmage, but the larger shots come more from the center of the field near the press boxes so the camera angle can skew the line of scrimmage by just enough to make it look questionable on tv.

The refs are also usually walking off a hangover in the first hour of the game

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think the teams care all that much or they would argue. It might also be a case of camera angles. They usually have the sideline camera on a golf cart near the line of scrimmage, but the larger shots come more from the center of the field near the press boxes so the camera angle can skew the line of scrimmage by just enough to make it look questionable on tv.

The refs are also usually walking off a hangover in the first hour of the game
You are probably correct regarding the camera angle.
The hangover part was funny.:laugh:

Members online

Latest posts