Any other Business/Banter

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
A good while back I mentioned that my parents bought me Packers tumblers back in the 60's. I finally got around to taking a picture of them.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I think I can say that I'm quite an experienced traveller. But I would never have thought that it can be a problem in England to pay cash with Scottish or Northern-Irish banknotes that I still have from my previous trips.
They simply refuse to take them or only after having it double-checked. I'm now beginning to ask them if Scotland or Northern-Irland are independent now and if I might have missed something as I thought I'd be travelling UK or Great Britain.
I've never experienced this before, just bad luck? :rolleyes:
However, despite of this I'm enjoying my trip, great weather, great sights and great evenings in pubs. ;)

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
Well, I think I can say that I'm quite an experienced traveller. But I would never have thought that it can be a problem in England to pay cash with Scottish or Northern-Irish banknotes that I still have from my previous trips.
They simply refuse to take them or only after having it double-checked. I'm now beginning to ask them if Scotland or Northern-Irland are independent now and if I might have missed something as I thought I'd be travelling UK or Great Britain.
I've never experienced this before, just bad luck? :rolleyes:
However, despite of this I'm enjoying my trip, great weather, great sights and great evenings in pubs. ;)

Pub Rat!!! Haha.

On a similar note. My first trip to Germany in 2002, I saved some 5 euro notes and forgot I had them. In 2011 when I went for the Women's World Cup in Germany I found them to use for U-Bahns and such. They weren't good anymore. They looked totally different and weren't accepted. Couldn't believe it.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pub Rat!!! Haha.

On a similar note. My first trip to Germany in 2002, I saved some 5 euro notes and forgot I had them. In 2011 when I went for the Women's World Cup in Germany I found them to use for U-Bahns and such. They weren't good anymore. They looked totally different and weren't accepted. Couldn't believe it.
Interesting, but possible. But usually this is done over a period of years and we hardly notice it or don't have any issues with it.
But in this case the bank notes are all still valid but just not accepted in England. Our host at the B&B we're staying at worked in a Bank for 20 years and explained to us why. But still strange for us. Like Arizona having their own Dollar notes and not accepting CA Dollar notes. :confused:
You never stop learning :D

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting, but possible. But usually this is done over a period of years and we hardly notice it or don't have any issues with it.
But in this case the bank notes are all still valid but just not accepted in England. Our host at the B&B we're staying at worked in a Bank for 20 years and explained to us why. But still strange for us. Like Arizona having their own Dollar notes and not accepting CA Dollar notes. :confused:
You never stop learning :D
this causes us Scots quite some consternation whenever we travel to Englandshire.

usually the uneducated amongst us will go on about how our notes still say sterling which makes them legal tender, but no Scottish printed bank notes are legal tender, they are however legal currency according to UK government law, and therefore should be accepted anywhere in the UK. the only legal tender are Bank of Englandshire notes, but not in Scotland.

in a nutshell, legal tender must be accepted if offered as payment, whereas legal currency does not and it is up to the two parties involved as to whether it is an acceptable form of payment

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
this causes us Scots quite some consternation whenever we travel to Englandshire.

usually the uneducated amongst us will go on about how our notes still say sterling which makes them legal tender, but no Scottish printed bank notes are legal tender, they are however legal currency according to UK government law, and therefore should be accepted anywhere in the UK. the only legal tender are Bank of Englandshire notes, but not in Scotland.

in a nutshell, legal tender must be accepted if offered as payment, whereas legal currency does not and it is up to the two parties involved as to whether it is an acceptable form of payment
But it's bulls***, isn't it? I can hardly think of another country that isn't able to provide a currency that is accepted everywhere in it's own country. Looks like I was lucky as long as I brought Bank of England notes to Scotland or N-Irland, but it's not working the other way round. I'm surprised that I never experienced this before :cautious:
Been to a bank yesterday and changed all Scottish and N-Ireland banknotes to English ones. That should solve the problem.
And I must add that everybody was very polite and sorry for any inconvenience it caused but most of them were simply not allowed to accept these notes.
Btw - the only one who took the notes without any problems was a bartender in Bourton-On-The-Water who said "As long the note says Stirling I take it" ;):tup:

Last edited:

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score

Hey, it kinda sounds like you and England are totally independent countries. Maybe that should be made official finally.

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
Wow. What Football teams jerseys and helmets would look like in "American Football" jerseys. Kinda interesting.

My 3 favorite:
1. Zenit - That's awesome
2. AS Roma
3. Arsenal

I did like the Bayern helmet, but the rest of the jersey was just too plain.

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, that would have done it for me easily :eek::D
Congrats on your new job!
remember i'm Scottish, and from whisky country, I can take a fair skelpin of drink

it's a job, thats all i'm saying. studying to become a driving instructor, so hopefully only have to do the courier work for a wee while, it's ok but the monies a bit of a con as we are all "self employed" by the logistics firm

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
remember i'm Scottish, and from whisky country, I can take a fair skelpin of drink

it's a job, thats all i'm saying. studying to become a driving instructor, so hopefully only have to do the courier work for a wee while, it's ok but the monies a bit of a con as we are all "self employed" by the logistics firm
Yeah, I thought so, it's just a filler until you've got a better opportunity. But the "self employed" thing is ************ as we all know, at least if you're depending on one company. It's the same thing over here when you're becoming a DLH or DPD courier for example. But nowadays even truck drivers that are driving for big logistics companies are "self employed" and have to bring their own truck to do their job :rolleyes:
However, I keep my fingers crossed for the "driving instructor project", this sounds like fun...depending on your learner drivers of course :D

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts