Another lost season in Rodgers prime

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jerry Rice is a 1 in a million player and i'm tired of teams playing us "single high" and getting away with it because we cannot stretch the defense. Cobb is a slot receiver. Comparing him to Antonio Brown is fine but look what else Pittsburgh has. It's called Wheaton and Bryant. They also have a TE way better then ours in Miller so the whole Antonio Brown thing has to be compared in the correct context. Those guys make it much easier for Brown to get favorable matchups. We need either a TE that imposes some more attention that can stretch the field a little or another outside guy that can do similar to what we had with Jordy or ultimately both. It's not Janis and it's not Perillo. Yes, its not just speed but a combination of that with of course the right skill set.

I will say it one more time. The only guy I see that can help us out now to get back to playing 5 on 5 and pushing teams out of "single high safety" is Montgomery. IMO him and Cobb used correctly together can create match up problems with the other guys we have. That's are only hope. TT should of went and got somebody before the trade dead line.

My point was that Jerry Rice managed to get open without speed by being a graceful and precise route runner not through some unseen magic force. Someone like Davante Adams could create separation the same way even if he's never comparable as a player at the position.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bakhtiari stepped in admirably as a rookie when Bulaga was lost for the season but overall he´s a below average left tackle and the worst player on the offensive line on the most crucial position.

The Packers released Thornton this year and he´s now on the Lions roster, so he´s for sure a miss. Bradford hasn´t played a single snap in nearly two years and has been on the practice squad all season, so it´s likely he´s a bust as well.

The Steelers have three speedy receivers in Bryant, Heyward-Bey and Wheaton opening up short and intermediate routes for Brown though.

Bakh has generally rated as a positive in pass protection by the Packers coaching staff, he has received negative grades as a run blocker in both of his first two seasons. Why do I dismiss PFF's rating on David Bakhtiari? For the same reason that Bill Belicheck does, they try to judge the player in isolation but fail to consider the scheme or surrounding players. In the Packers case we really do very little to assist the OTs in pass pro thus our OTs will tend to receive lower grades from a rating service like PFF.

I should have said that Thornton was a bust and that Bradford looks like a miss.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FWIW the Packers were actually last in that category with the Patriots coming in at 31st. I´m convinced New England benefits from having the best tight end in the league though.

We will see this next week... I keep hearing it is because of Gronk. This week they will likely be without Edelman, Amendola, Gronk, (Dobson not that that matters much), and Deon Lewis. Playing behind one of the worst offensive lines I have ever seen (Somewhat better as of late though snow in Denver slows things down too).

If last weeks final drive is any indication... It doesn't matter. I would say its 70% coaching, 30% quarterback but Tom finds someone open when he needs to. Period. If that is scheme or Brady just understanding the game better after more years and experience than Rodgers. Devante looked like garbage last week there is no doubt about that. You cant hand him the ball. But if anyone remember watching the Jets Patriots game 5-6 week ago. Patriots dropped something like 14 passes and won. Don't get me wrong Adams needs to make those catches but Rodgers is far from perfect or the best quarterback in the league this year. And the more this goes on the more it looks like Jordy made this offense run not Rodgers.

Ill be glad to finally put this to rest, as this week we will find out if it is Gronk or Brady that makes that offense click. You can't even begin to make a case that Patriots are more talented at skill positions than the Packers at this point. So it will be interesting in seeing what happens.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The same things did get us to 6-0 and we would be 9-2 or 10-1 with them without all the player mistakes.

I don't agree with this at all... Packers are more likely to be 5-6 at this point than 10-1. I remember on their winning streak people were like "I guess a win is a win but that was ugly". Which I agree with. Lets look at those wins.

Chicago 5-6
Chiefs 6-5
49er's 3-8
Rams 4-7
Chargers 3-8
Seahawks 6-5
Vikings 8-3

Combined 35-42 45% win percentage

Really you beat 1 team that is securely over 500 in 3 chances.

You lost 1st place in your division and your playoff spot is getting damn close to being taken over. The Packers didn't look good in their wins, even worse in their loses. Mental errors been happening all year long.

Just because you get a win doesn't mean you are on the right track. Playing scrub teams can give you a false sense of security.

The goal is to improve each week throughout the season, people forget that even though we barely squeaked in the playoff the super bowl year. They had a good team. They were competitive every game. Never put up huge duds. This team is not that. Nor does it have the veteran leadership that one did. I think Aaron's arrogance may finally get the best of him this year. It seemed like the common feeling was this was the best team ever and was destined for greatness coming out of the pre-season. Unless things drastically change and some consistency comes into play. This team will be lucky to make the playoffs.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I think Aaron's arrogance may finally get the best of him this year. It seemed like the common feeling was this was the best team ever and was destined for greatness coming out of the pre-season.
IMO the first sentence makes no sense. How is his "arrogance" making him miss open receivers by a lot? How is it making him jumpy in the pocket even on the occasions he's getting protected? The Packers may have been Super Bowl favorites but the "best team ever" is more gross exaggeration IMO. Remember the third preseason (usually the most important of the preseason)? Don't you remember concerns about the defense after the Eagles went up and down the field at will?

D

Deleted member 6794

The same things did get us to 6-0 and we would be 9-2 or 10-1 with them without all the player mistakes.

The Packers struggled during portions of the first six games aa well. It doesn't matter what could have happened, as of now we've lost four of the last five games.

Bakh has generally rated as a positive in pass protection by the Packers coaching staff, he has received negative grades as a run blocker in both of his first two seasons. Why do I dismiss PFF's rating on David Bakhtiari? For the same reason that Bill Belicheck does, they try to judge the player in isolation but fail to consider the scheme or surrounding players. In the Packers case we really do very little to assist the OTs in pass pro thus our OTs will tend to receive lower grades from a rating service like PFF.

True, Bakhtiari was a pretty good pass blocker during his first two years in the league but has unfortunately regressed this season.

A win is a win in my book, and we know this team can play A LOT better than it has been.

And a loss is a loss in everyone's book.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO the first sentence makes no sense. How is his "arrogance" making him miss open receivers by a lot? How is it making him jumpy in the pocket even on the occasions he's getting protected? The Packers may have been Super Bowl favorites but the "best team ever" is more gross exaggeration IMO. Remember the third preseason (usually the most important of the preseason)? Don't you remember concerns about the defense after the Eagles went up and down the field at will?

Aaron was widely considered the best quarterback in the league as of last year. Is it only me that see's a different person in general than the one that joined 10 years ago? Feels hes too good for preseason games, comments about "It's not leadership" when if you ask me it certainly is (he's becoming moppy Jay Cutler v2), even his post games he just seems less approachable than in past years. Kind of an ****** at times.

And what I was referring to was his comments about this being the best team he has ever played on, or most talented? Something near to that.

Honestly this looks like a team that didn't put in the work, takes winning for granted, that isn't dedicated or have the ambition to be the best. And they deserve to lose.

I look at a team like the Patriots, Broncos or even Carolina. Patriots lose basically their whole offense at this point minus Brady (and some very important players on defense that no one talks about) and still able to drive down the field on team Aaron could do nothing with with a bye week. Broncos lose peyton, sanders, ware.. They still more motivation and more heart. Carolina is probably one of the most lack-luster offensive teams I have ever seen. And I still believe they will hit their wall. BUT they play with heart, they play hard and they win games.

Until someone steps up and shows what it takes to be a champion this team will fall short. I firmly believe that the man in my avatar was a huge reason the Packers pulled off that super bowl run. His leadership, his heart, his passion is FAAAR above anything I have seen from anyone on this current roster.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When a team is having as many problems over a prolonged period of time such as this one is, they may get some or most of the issues cleaned up at least to some degree, but not all, and not enough to suddenly become a legit title contender this season.
The best thing about this group and their struggles is, IMO, that most of the issues, to one degree or another, are from the neck up- mental errors and shaken confidence.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Aaron was widely considered the best quarterback in the league as of last year. Is it only me that see's a different person in general than the one that joined 10 years ago? Feels hes too good for preseason games, comments about "It's not leadership" when if you ask me it certainly is (he's becoming moppy Jay Cutler v2), even his post games he just seems less approachable than in past years. Kind of an ****** at times.
Again, how is any of that affecting his play this season? You wrote, “I think Aaron's arrogance may finally get the best of him this year.” Is he more inaccurate throwing the ball this season than we’ve ever seen him because of anything you wrote in that post? Are receivers dropping the ball, not getting open, or is the OL purposely missing blocks because of anything you wrote? IOW, how is his supposed arrogance "getting the best of him"?
And what I was referring to was his comments about this being the best team he has ever played on, or most talented? Something near to that.
Well that’s not what you wrote. You wrote: “It seemed like the common feeling was this was the best team ever…” That doesn’t look like you were referring to Rodgers, does it?

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't agree with this at all... Packers are more likely to be 5-6 at this point than 10-1. I remember on their winning streak people were like "I guess a win is a win but that was ugly". Which I agree with. Lets look at those wins.

Chicago 5-6
Chiefs 6-5
49er's 3-8
Rams 4-7
Chargers 3-8
Seahawks 6-5
Vikings 8-3

Combined 35-42 45% win percentage

Really you beat 1 team that is securely over 500 in 3 chances.

You lost 1st place in your division and your playoff spot is getting damn close to being taken over. The Packers didn't look good in their wins, even worse in their loses. Mental errors been happening all year long.

Just because you get a win doesn't mean you are on the right track. Playing scrub teams can give you a false sense of security.

The goal is to improve each week throughout the season, people forget that even though we barely squeaked in the playoff the super bowl year. They had a good team. They were competitive every game. Never put up huge duds. This team is not that. Nor does it have the veteran leadership that one did. I think Aaron's arrogance may finally get the best of him this year. It seemed like the common feeling was this was the best team ever and was destined for greatness coming out of the pre-season. Unless things drastically change and some consistency comes into play. This team will be lucky to make the playoffs.

They won the first five games by more than one score. It's not like they squeaked out wins. They didn't just beat the scrub teams, they won easily. Add in the dominate win at a good Vikings team, and it shows this team is capable of being very good.

Considering 6 of their 7 wins weren't close, but I'm not sure how you justify they are closer 5-6 than 10-1. Two of their loses game down the Packers' last offensive play of the game. That puts them much close to 10-1 than 5-6.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers struggled during portions of the first six games aa well. It doesn't matter what could have happened, as of now we've lost four of the last five games.

True, Bakhtiari was a pretty good pass blocker during his first two years in the league but has unfortunately regressed this season.

And a loss is a loss in everyone's book.

You're right it doesn't matter what could have happened, but the 6-0 start clearly demonstrates this team can be much better without any significant changes in play calling or scheme. Those first 5 games weren't very close either.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I would not say the season is over. I think we will make play offs. And as we have learned in the past its all about who gets hot come playoff's. I do not think we will be the team that gets hot, BUT we do have the potential too with the way our defense has been playing and how effective our run game has been. Season is not over. But I am not putting any money on the Lombardi trophy coming home this year.

D

Deleted member 6794

You're right it doesn't matter what could have happened, but the 6-0 start clearly demonstrates this team can be much better without any significant changes in play calling or scheme. Those first 5 games weren't very close either.

There's absolutely no doubt this team could play better, unfortunately they haven't been able to over the last few weeks aside of the Vikings game.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They won the first five games by more than one score. It's not like they squeaked out wins. They didn't just beat the scrub teams, they won easily. Add in the dominate win at a good Vikings team, and it shows this team is capable of being very good.

Considering 6 of their 7 wins weren't close, but I'm not sure how you justify they are closer 5-6 than 10-1. Two of their loses game down the Packers' last offensive play of the game. That puts them much close to 10-1 than 5-6.

Are you looking at the wrong year?

Bears 31-23 is 8 points
Chargers 27-20 is 7 points

Not to mention Seattle was less than 1 score games with less than 2 minutes left in the games. How is that dominant? Look at New England vs Dallas. That was dominant. Look at Denver playing us, that was dominant. And I will give you Carolina and Detroit, but seriously you're considering staying close with a team with 1 win as a positive?

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again, how is any of that affecting his play this season? You wrote, “I think Aaron's arrogance may finally get the best of him this year.” Is he more inaccurate throwing the ball this season than we’ve ever seen him because of anything you wrote in that post? Are receivers dropping the ball, not getting open, or is the OL purposely missing blocks because of anything you wrote? IOW, how is his supposed arrogance "getting the best of him"? Well that’s not what you wrote. You wrote: “It seemed like the common feeling was this was the best team ever…” That doesn’t look like you were referring to Rodgers, does it?

I wrote this already but I will say it again... Aaron and the staff feel he is too good to waste on pre-season games. That he is good enough to do without it. This team looks like they need all the practice they can get and more. And yes you do get more inaccurate if you sit on your *** more and take for granted that you can make every pass.

There was a saying about Micheal Jordan that not only was he the best basketball player of all time but also the hardest working player of all time. Rodgers is a leader and sending the message to team that he is better than Tom Brady, when Brady (after 4 super bowl victories) plays the 3rd preseason game and Rodgers cant be bothered to step on the field is quite the message. Think about it in your own working experience if someone you closely work with is getting special privileges. This in turn results in missed snaps and a general feeling that Rodgers is above all. Which is dandy if you preform all year. But he has been off all season even in the wins, even in good games he is missing more passes.

Brady can't walk the ball to his receivers either. 14 drops against the Jets the Patriots had. Yet Brady lead them to a victory. Packers can't beat the Bears because Adams has a bad day even though Lacy is tearing up the field. That is just sad.

And this could just be my view of them, but his post games have been horrid at times.

Side note: My biggest disappointment this year is Cobb not Adams. Cobb had a chance to be something special this year and has more time in the system than Adams and yet hasn't performed much at all.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you looking at the wrong year?

Bears 31-23 is 8 points
Chargers 27-20 is 7 points

Not to mention Seattle was less than 1 score games with less than 2 minutes left in the games. How is that dominant? Look at New England vs Dallas. That was dominant. Look at Denver playing us, that was dominant. And I will give you Carolina and Detroit, but seriously you're considering staying close with a team with 1 win as a positive?

I'll give you Chicago is 8 points, but if you read the post carefully, you'd see I didn't include the Charger game by saying the first 5 games. Also, I only claimed the Vikings game was dominate.

Either way, still having 5 wins of 7 by more than one score and 3 very close loses makes them much closer to 10-1 than 5-6.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I wrote this already but I will say it again...
You can say it again but it still doesn't make any sense IMO: So Rodgers is struggling because his arrogance caused him to sit out preseason games and that arrogance has caught up with him? Is that why he started the season with QB ratings of 140.5, 116.9, 138.5, 99.00, 82.8 and 107.7 before the bye and then never over 100 after the bye with two games in the 60s? Could you explain the time delay effect of his so-called arrogance and the preseason? I don’t see any evidence of what you’re talking about as it looks to me like he started the season pretty well. It’s one thing to complain about what you see as Rodgers’ arrogance but its another to say it has affected his play and I think the evidence points in the other direction if you're basing it on missing preseason games.

And I assume you’ve backed off the idea that it was a common feeling that this was the best team ever, since you haven't posted anything supporting that idea.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Worst case scenario is that we lose the last five games of the season and end up 7-9. Realistically I think that the worst likely scenario is going 9-7 . The NFC sucks this year and the likely two wild cards are coming out of the North and West (Seahawks...). At 9-7 with an ugly finale to the season this is still a team that is capable of catching on fire in the playoffs. I bring up 2010 not to live in the past, but to point out that this team under this leadership and QB, has done it before and with more injuries. Being the 5th or 6th seed would mean a likely road game against the Vikings or Cardinals. Not scary at this point.

So I for one will continue to be disappointed if we lose tonight and several more, but I won't be jumping off any bridges even if we close out 0-5. Still a good team.

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is the season lost? No, there are 5 weeks to play until the playoffs, where anything can happen...

That said, does it look like we are going to be in contention come the end of January? No, most likely not.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Worst case scenario is that we lose the last five games of the season and end up 7-9. Realistically I think that the worst likely scenario is going 9-7 . The NFC sucks this year and the likely two wild cards are coming out of the North and West (Seahawks...). At 9-7 with an ugly finale to the season this is still a team that is capable of catching on fire in the playoffs. I bring up 2010 not to live in the past, but to point out that this team under this leadership and QB, has done it before and with more injuries. Being the 5th or 6th seed would mean a likely road game against the Vikings or Cardinals. Not scary at this point.

So I for one will continue to be disappointed if we lose tonight and several more, but I won't be jumping off any bridges even if we close out 0-5. Still a good team.

This team and that one are vastly different... 5 of 6 losses came on the road. Think their biggest loss was 4 points?

The biggest leader of that team is gone.. Woodson.

Also as a side note why do people always say we caught fire at the end of that season? Our last game we won 10-3. lol. Lost 3 of our last 6 (granted 1.5 games without Rodgers) Though Detroit game didn't look good before he went down.

Members online

Latest posts