Another lost season in Rodgers prime

aristotle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you can kiss this season goodbye. Sure, the Packers will make the playoffs but have no chance against the Panthers, Cardinals and maybe even the Giants. They have no passion right now. Until they get a legitimate TE who Aaron can use as a safety net, a possession receiver similar to the Patriots Edelman, they will not compete for a championship. Why are they not considering bringing back Joe Philbin. He was the offensive coordinator when they won the super bowl. Clements is awful and needs to go back to a position coach.
Devante Adams has regressed in his 2nd year and needs to be demoted behind Janis. This kid Janis is electric and could become a no. 3 receiver next year.
As far as the play calling goes, they need to establish a rhythm early with short high percentage plays such as screens and short passes. Also running on 2nd and 10 is a recipe for disaster.
Now to Rodgers....he is clearly not happy right now with his teammates and the play calling. He needs to step up and lead this team, which means telling MM what he wants and what he thinks will work.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
OK ... let's pack 'er up guys. ;) Now... what to do with Sunday afternoon ....

OP
OP
aristotle

aristotle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They could make Cobb the possesion guy and use Jones and Janis as outside guys. It certainly seems easy from a distance on what would work here. Why the coaching staff is so stubborn is beyond me.
I also think the running game is better with a fullback then without. We need more Kuhn.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you can kiss this season goodbye. Sure, the Packers will make the playoffs but have no chance against the Panthers, Cardinals and maybe even the Giants. They have no passion right now. Until they get a legitimate TE who Aaron can use as a safety net, a possession receiver similar to the Patriots Edelman, they will not compete for a championship. Why are they not considering bringing back Joe Philbin. He was the offensive coordinator when they won the super bowl. Clements is awful and needs to go back to a position coach.
Devante Adams has regressed in his 2nd year and needs to be demoted behind Janis. This kid Janis is electric and could become a no. 3 receiver next year.
As far as the play calling goes, they need to establish a rhythm early with short high percentage plays such as screens and short passes. Also running on 2nd and 10 is a recipe for disaster.
Now to Rodgers....he is clearly not happy right now with his teammates and the play calling. He needs to step up and lead this team, which means telling MM what he wants and what he thinks will work.
You are right on. Replacing Finley was a tall order and we have not come close. A small school late round pick like Donald Driver started becoming a great one once Favre believed in him. Adams should be able to do the same but is not.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eh the 2010 offense didn't look like a super bowl unit late in the season, remember their last game of the season against Chicago? We probably would have been sunk without Tim Masthay playing the game of his life.

Let's see what Aaron and Co. do with the rest of the season before we declare this year over.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
"It Ain't over until its over" ~ Yogi Berra

I'm going to continue to enjoy the season, win or lose. I still need someone to explain to me how Janis has moved so far up the depth chart by "Fanoaches" (fan coaches). He has 4 career receptions for 95 yards.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
We probably would have been sunk without Tim Masthay playing the game of his life.
You mean he kicked one over 30 yards and not out of bounds? I need to pull the tape on that game!! :coffee:

I overheard MM saying in the locker room one day, "That Masthay can hold the hell out of the ball on kicks"

D

Deleted member 6794

I still need someone to explain to me how Janis has moved so far up the depth chart by "Fanoaches" (fan coaches). He has 4 career receptions for 95 yards.

Janis adds speed and even if he's not on the same page with Rodgers the defense has to cover him, maybe even put a safety over the top to deal with him. That would open up some space on short and intermediate routes.

I agree that Janis hasn't proven anything yet but playing him can't result in any worse play by the receivers.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I still haven't heard a legitimate reason why the play calling wasn't the issue when Rodgers was league favorite for mvp..

I think now it's the "in" thing to say while ignoring the drops and the horrible throws.

Face it...majority of posters have no clue what is being done behind the doors..

Only the team knows if it's the play calling and I suspect they know it isn't the play calling. Some one posted mm didmt toss out his 200 page play book and let clements make his own..the same plays are still there..

They are focusing on the faults the players are making. Correctable issues...why the players aren't responding is the main issue..

I know people think mm is full of cow crap when he mentions cliche phrases.... but play calling won't stop Adams from dropping a sure td. Not once but twice in one game..

Play calling won't stop Aaron from throwing in the dirt..

there are reasons why they aren't doing what the arm chair experts want..

People think the team is bullheaded and don't want to change...yes the team rather keep losing...

As far as philbin..does any one know if he even wants to return to GB? Did you know if they contacted him? Or is the only legit reason he isn't here is because mm is to stubborn..

/rant

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
As a Packer fan I want to hope and believe that Jeff Janis could become a receiver a lot like Jordy. But beyond the physical and speed comparisons, going back to articles like the one below, reaffirms that his "potential" are the only things that have kept him on the team. Should he get more reps at WR to see if he can achieve that potential, sure, especially with the way Adams is playing. But its pretty clear that the coaching staff still isn't too confident with Janis. When Montgomery and/or Abby come back, I still see Janis as our #6. One silver lining though, I think he has proven himself a worthy kick returner and this will keep him active each game for the potential to sub in at WR to get more reps.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...struggling-in-camp-b99555431z1-321698201.html

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see Janis, Abby or Monty being "the answers" short or long term. Oh, a good game and some splash plays here and there, but those expecting the 'next great thing ' leading a turnaround, IMO, will be disappointed short term and even more so long term.
That said, there is zero reason not to put them out there. Maybe they open things up for others; maybe they make some big plays themselves. But things can't be worse right now.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
• A variation of the subject of this thread appears on a few others.

• Regarding the title: While that may be true, this time Rodgers is contributing to it, as Bill mentioned.
But beyond the physical and speed comparisons, going back to articles like the one below, reaffirms that his "potential" are the only things that have kept him on the team.
That may have been true at the time the article was written in August, but that’s no longer the case. Even if Janis doesn’t contribute as a WR, he’s earned his spot on the roster with his STs play. And not just as a returner, but on coverage teams. Jarrett Bush didn’t stick on the roster because of his ability at DB and Janis has far more potential as a WR than Bush did at DB.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Like I said, they will make the playoffs, but have no shot of going deep.

Truthfully, that is what I thought in 2010 -- although I don't recall the Pack looking this bad even in 2010. My belief at that time was that the ugly defense would rear its ugly head again during the playoff run.

Your initial post Aristotle, you could remove Aaron's name and substitute Brett's name and it would be an identical post from the mid-2000's. :) Just sayin' ... one of the things about being an old geezer on these forums is that I can see that which was old, become new again. Sort of like my jokes -- I can recycle my line-of-crap, but since the young guys haven't heard 'em ... well, you know. ;)

OP
OP
aristotle

aristotle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another issue is Rodgers is sitting in the pocket too long. He needs to roll out a lot more than he is. Designed roll outs will help the hits he is taking

OP
OP
aristotle

aristotle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
These losses to the Lions and Bears are not acceptable. The Bronos and Panthers on the road we OK. These are bad losses that at Lambeau show no guts and no pride. remember last year when they were blowing out everyone at home in the first half. That desire is gone and one player (Jordy) is not the only reason. I do not see Aaron being the leader he needs to be. I'd players are playing video games instead of learning their routes and plays, sit them down. Clearly Adams' head is not on straight.

OP
OP
aristotle

aristotle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"It Ain't over until its over" ~ Yogi Berra

I'm going to continue to enjoy the season, win or lose. I still need someone to explain to me how Janis has moved so far up the depth chart by "Fanoaches" (fan coaches). He has 4 career receptions for 95 yards.
Because Adams sucks right now and Ty Montgomery is hurt

Rick 12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are right on. Replacing Finley was a tall order and we have not come close. A small school late round pick like Donald Driver started becoming a great one once Favre believed in him. Adams should be able to do the same but is not.
Packers need a bog time WR in the Draft !

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still haven't heard a legitimate reason why the play calling wasn't the issue when Rodgers was league favorite for mvp..

I think now it's the "in" thing to say while ignoring the drops and the horrible throws.

Face it...majority of posters have no clue what is being done behind the doors..

Only the team knows if it's the play calling and I suspect they know it isn't the play calling. Some one posted mm didmt toss out his 200 page play book and let clements make his own..the same plays are still there..

They are focusing on the faults the players are making. Correctable issues...why the players aren't responding is the main issue..

I know people think mm is full of cow crap when he mentions cliche phrases.... but play calling won't stop Adams from dropping a sure td. Not once but twice in one game..

Play calling won't stop Aaron from throwing in the dirt..

there are reasons why they aren't doing what the arm chair experts want..

People think the team is bullheaded and don't want to change...yes the team rather keep losing...

As far as philbin..does any one know if he even wants to return to GB? Did you know if they contacted him? Or is the only legit reason he isn't here is because mm is to stubborn..

/rant

Blaming the play calling will always happen when an offense struggles even when there are also obvious player mistakes. It's like Capers getting blame for defenders getting burned.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

2nd and 10 runs on Thursday:
2nd and 10 at GB 15
(14:48 - 1st) (No Huddle) E.Lacy right tackle pushed ob at GB 44 for 29 yards (K.Fuller)
2nd and 10 at GB 12
(10:55 - 2nd) (No Huddle) E.Lacy right end to GB 27 for 15 yards (C.Prosinski). FUMBLES (C.Prosinski), RECOVERED by CHI-L.Houston at GB 34. L.Houston to GB 34 for no gain (J.Tretter)

Two big runs on 2nd and 10. Not sure where you are getting that running on 2nd and 10 is a bad thing. Yeah Lacy fumbled, but that doesn't mean the play call didn't work.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Blaming the play calling will always happen when an offense struggles even when there are also obvious player mistakes. It's like Capers getting blame for defenders getting burned.

And blaming the players will only get you so far, especially when it is the coaches job to put the players in the best possible position to win. However, when the coaches keep doing the same things that fail over and over again, regardless if it is "player execution" that is causing the failures, it is the coaches play calling that is the problem. Play calling is not just about calling a play and players executing it, it is about creating mismatches and utilizing different personnel for different plays.

Mike McCarthy basically has completely blamed everyone but himself and his coaching staff during his entire tenure for any problems the Packers are having. After this game he basically flat out said. Our play calling is perfect, the players are not doing their jobs. And while I do completely agree with that to an extent, it shows a level of arrogance by McCarthy that even Belichick does not display.

The arrogance of Thompson, McCarthy and Rodgers with his trust ******** is everything that is wrong with this team. When certain guys are not performing, give the other guys a chance at the very least. But what they are doing right now is absolutely not working and they are so flocking arrogant that they refuse to try anything else. It is pathetic.

Dagger85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There have been several instances in the last several years where teams that people thought didn't have a chance went deep into the playoffs or even won the Super Bowl. (Giants....AND US). If you make it to the playoffs with a talented team and start clicking, anything can happen. (Once again, see us at 15-1 in 2011 vs. Giants who people thought didn't stand a chance.)

I hate to burst the pessimistic bubble, but history shows countless times that if you make the playoffs, all bets are off.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts