Andrew Brandt article on the marketing deal for Brett

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Andrew Brandt article on the marketing deal for Brett

The Packers planned marketing deal with Brett Favre was something I discussed with President/CEO Mark Murphy when he arrived in January.* Obviously, it is important for the franchise’s most famous and most iconic player to be part of its future when he retires.*

Hope I never hear the Packers bribed him again

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The King of Turnovers ought to pay the Packers if he wants to represent 'em.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I admit to being somewhat internet/Twitter illiterate. What does this mean when you type @thequick12 in an 11yr old thread?

He wants me to read that article that he linked. Which I will and I'm pretty sure I already have but won't hurt to read it again... I'm definitely a fan of Andrew Brandt

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
He wants me to read that article that he linked. Which I will and I'm pretty sure I already have but won't hurt to read it again... I'm definitely a fan of Andrew Brandt
Article is gone..just the quote I have

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
@longtimefan
Some quotes from Brandt I find very informative

Favre was livid; he called our coach right away, and his agent called me. And for the next three years, we would hear from Brett’s camp asking: “Andrew, do you know what it’s like to come into work every day and sit with your replacement? That stinks.” And I would hear from Aaron’s camp asking: “Andrew, is he ever going to play? Brett’s never going to retire; you know that.”

Aaron was a team player about the Love pick over the past year, at least publicly, but it sounds like that acquiescence has ended. He understands the reality that I have noted often: Aaron is the MVP of the NFL while also serving as a placeholder quarterback for the Packers, keeping the seat warm for Love. The only question about when the turnover happens, as the question was 15 years ago, is when.

Here is the reality: Sports, as entertainment, is a star-driven business, and Aaron is a true A-lister in sports. Yes, football is a team game and coaches preach "all for one, and one for all," blah, blah, blah, but that ignores the reality in the business of sports: Greater talent merits greater leverage for different treatment.

This is what we're in the midst of right now ...

In trading two first-round picks and swapping this year’s first-round pick, the 49ers gave up more for Lance than the Bears gave up for Khalil Mack, the Rams gave up for Jalen Ramsey and the Texans gave up for Laremy Tunsil. Think about that. Lance may turn out to be a superstar, but for the compensation given up to acquire him, he better be.

This tells you a little bit about what Aaron Rodgers trade value is

https://www.si.com/nfl/2015/07/15/brett-favre-packers-divorce-number-retired-nfl

This is an interesting article about the Favre situation as well

The link didn't go to an article just the website in general. Which article were you talking about?

Ok I see let me look at the quote

The Packers planned marketing deal with Brett Favre was something I discussed with President/CEO Mark Murphy when he arrived in January.* Obviously, it is important for the franchise’s most famous and most iconic player to be part of its future when he retires.*

My opinion this does not discredit anything I said. I said they would of given it to him whenever he retired regardless. But also the timing Jan. leads me to believe it was the Packers FO number 1 outcome that Favre retired and Rodgers became the starter. You can call it whatever you want but the idea was to encourage him to retire in order for their best outcome to come to fruition.

Then Mark Murphy went down to the farm and tried to offer Favre the 20 million "marketing deal" in late July I believe when it was pretty clear Favre was not going to retire. A last ditch effort. Which is what Favre was referring to when he said had they had it in a briefcase...

I'm really not sure how else to slice it especially knowing they end up trading him for far less than market value

Did they ever end up paying him the 20 m for this deal?

Last edited:
OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
@longtimefan
Some quotes from Brandt I find very informative

Favre was livid; he called our coach right away, and his agent called me. And for the next three years, we would hear from Brett’s camp asking: “Andrew, do you know what it’s like to come into work every day and sit with your replacement? That stinks.” And I would hear from Aaron’s camp asking: “Andrew, is he ever going to play? Brett’s never going to retire; you know that.”

Aaron was a team player about the Love pick over the past year, at least publicly, but it sounds like that acquiescence has ended. He understands the reality that I have noted often: Aaron is the MVP of the NFL while also serving as a placeholder quarterback for the Packers, keeping the seat warm for Love. The only question about when the turnover happens, as the question was 15 years ago, is when.

Here is the reality: Sports, as entertainment, is a star-driven business, and Aaron is a true A-lister in sports. Yes, football is a team game and coaches preach "all for one, and one for all," blah, blah, blah, but that ignores the reality in the business of sports: Greater talent merits greater leverage for different treatment.

This is what we're in the midst of right now ...

In trading two first-round picks and swapping this year’s first-round pick, the 49ers gave up more for Lance than the Bears gave up for Khalil Mack, the Rams gave up for Jalen Ramsey and the Texans gave up for Laremy Tunsil. Think about that. Lance may turn out to be a superstar, but for the compensation given up to acquire him, he better be.

This tells you a little bit about what Aaron Rodgers trade value is

https://www.si.com/nfl/2015/07/15/brett-favre-packers-divorce-number-retired-nfl

This is an interesting article about the Favre situation as well

The link didn't go to an article just the website in general. Which article were you talking about?

Ok I see let me look at the quote

My opinion this does not discredit anything I said. I said they would of given it to him whenever he retired regardless. But also the timing Jan. leads me to believe it was the Packers FO number 1 outcome that Favre retired and Rodgers became the starter. You can call it whatever you want but the idea was to encourage him to retire in order for their best outcome to come to fruition.

Then Mark Murphy went down to the farm and tried to offer Favre the 20 million "marketing deal" in late July I believe when it was pretty clear Favre was not going to retire. A last ditch effort. Which is what Favre was referring to when he said had they had it in a briefcase...

I'm really not sure how else to slice it especially knowing they end up trading him for far less than market value

Did they ever end up paying him the 20 m for this deal?
Andrew Brandt went to Mark about the marketing deal. Isnt that how Andrew wrote it? If so Andrew was pushing brett out?

Dont buy it.

Did you forget they were taking a plane down to ms and was going to announce him back, but brett again said no

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There was so much to forget about the Favre saga, as I suspect we will all forget the details of the Rodgers split as well.

Latest posts