And magic # part 2

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
If the offense played a better game no way Rivers throws for that because he's standing on the sidelines. Won't be able to get away with that Sunday Night.

Wait....

When I would bring up offense shortcomings, people would still say so what.... It was all capers fault...

Im going to find those posts..

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I pointed out that twice (once with Neal and once with Peppers) he had a DE on the scatback for two important 3rd down plays. If you are going to drop these big guys into coverage...well you just shouldn't. Another DB should be in the game insead.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe the main reason why the Pack gave up so many yards through the air vs the Chargers is that the defense was on the field way too much.

Packers offense went 20 minutes without a 1st down between the 3rd and 4th quarter. The offense needs to move the ball and keep possession. They obviously need to score but they can't go 3 and out 4 straight times. That puts too much pressure on the defense.

That certainly has something to do with it however I wish some people would understand and give credit where credit is due. The Chargers executed the short passing game to perfection that day. They had a gameplan, nothing but short 3-step and few 5-step drops and the ball out of Rivers hands. This was done to combat the fact that the Packers were one of the top if not the top sack teams in the NFL leading into that game.

Sometimes other teams execute their gameplans to perfection or near perfection. We have all seen the Packers do it with 45 to 50 point games games last year. But can you see the difference between the Packers offense running at near perfection and the Charges offense doing the same? They lost. Think about that, on the rare day when the other team's offense was nearly perfect, they still LOST.

People nead to learn to tip their hat to the other team and get over it. It was a near flawless gameplan and execution of that gameplan by the Charges on that day. Nothing more, nothing less.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I pointed out that twice (once with Neal and once with Peppers) he had a DE on the scatback for two important 3rd down plays. If you are going to drop these big guys into coverage...well you just shouldn't. Another DB should be in the game insead.
So what do you propose? we're only allowed 11 on the field, are you suggesting we take one of our pass rushers off the field and put in a defensive back? What if that only leaves us with 3 pass rushers on the field? Fire Capers? or take away your posting privileges? :)

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
If the offense played a better game no way Rivers throws for that because he's standing on the sidelines. Won't be able to get away with that Sunday Night.

Wait....

When I would bring up offense shortcomings, people would still say so what.... It was all capers fault...

https://www.packerforum.com/threads/everyone-blames-the-d-where-is-the-blame-for-the-o.42729/

Sustained drives woulda helped the defense true. Defense getting off the field woulda helped them out to. Until the defense can stop ppl the Packers will win alot of games and then lose in the playoffs...but hey, at least they will win the North. (Eye. Roll)

Did we actually agree?

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We'll have a better idea of our strength after the next 2 weeks. Currently we have the 29th ranked schedule. If we beat a solid Carolina team I'll be a believer.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mondio, I hate the 3 man rush and Capers (not sure he hasn't been told not to use it) has not been using it. So when the two DE dropped back to cover the back in the flat (on two different plays)...there were 4 others that were rushing...at least 4 (not sure if he blitzed). I am saying that disguising your rush by dropping a big man back to cover a back is dumb. Just put in another DB. And anyway it is not much of a disguise. Those guys were out on an island all alone.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've seen the Jets, Rams, Packers, Patriots, etc all use a 3 man rush at some point this year. Offenses scheme defensive personel too, they don't line their RB's up on DB's, they also try and create mismatches. SOmetimes you get caught in one. Take your DL or LB's and replace them with DB's and there are offenses that can be called to beat the crap out of that defense too. BJ Raji dropped back in coverage once, and did a dance afterwards called "the Raji" He's a big guy.

rushing 5 on the line leaves any number of combinations of LB and DB/safety help behind. Are you suggesting we run Dime all the time with 4 guys along the line a linebacker and 6 DB's all the time?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I watched the second half of the Chargers game last night. I noticed just one play the Packers rushed three - it was during the Chargers last drive of the game. The result was a five yard pass completion. Compared to the rest of the game, that counted as a win for the Packers D. I'm not sure how often they rushed just three in the first half but my guess is not a lot. So for those who hate a three-man rush, the 4, 5, and 6 man rushes didn't do much to prevent Rivers from averaging more than 11.5 yards per completion and 7.7 yards per attempt for the game. Capers said on the last four Chargers snaps of the game, they showed pressure and then backed out of it. Of course I don't want to see a steady diet of three man rushes on passing downs, but it does make sense at times and the last thing a defense wants to be is predictable.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I watched the second half of the Chargers game last night. I noticed just one play the Packers rushed three - it was during the Chargers last drive of the game. The result was a five yard pass completion. Compared to the rest of the game, that counted as a win for the Packers D. I'm not sure how often they rushed just three in the first half but my guess is not a lot. So for those who hate a three-man rush, the 4, 5, and 6 man rushes didn't do much to prevent Rivers from averaging more than 11.5 yards per completion and 7.7 yards per attempt for the game. Capers said on the last four Chargers snaps of the game, they showed pressure and then backed out of it. Of course I don't want to see a steady diet of three man rushes on passing downs, but it does make sense at times and the last thing a defense wants to be is predictable.
Some teams can get some pressure with 3. We usually don't. That 3rd and long (26?) against Seattle is a prime example. I think it is noteworthy that the Chargers ended up very close to a TD in that last drive. I think that both offensively and defensively you never go into a totally conservative mode.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wait....

And? I've never had an issue saying offense stink it up when they did so.....can't blame the defense when they can't sustain a drive. I've never changed my stand in regards to that.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've seen the Jets, Rams, Packers, Patriots, etc all use a 3 man rush at some point this year. Offenses scheme defensive personel too, they don't line their RB's up on DB's, they also try and create mismatches. SOmetimes you get caught in one. Take your DL or LB's and replace them with DB's and there are offenses that can be called to beat the crap out of that defense too. BJ Raji dropped back in coverage once, and did a dance afterwards called "the Raji" He's a big guy.

rushing 5 on the line leaves any number of combinations of LB and DB/safety help behind. Are you suggesting we run Dime all the time with 4 guys along the line a linebacker and 6 DB's all the time?
The way the Chargers were throwing the ball...yes the dime would make sense all the time until they showed us they could then run the ball effectively. But I was talking about important 3rd downs where they have a medium yardage to go for a 1st. And the fast and quick back was one on one with a big man. To me that is an unacceptable chance to take. The final play showed the difference with them trying the same play but we had a DB out there.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
from what they said, we had 7 DB's out there at times too. But for every defense, there's an offense designed to beat it. I'd rather not have Peppers covering a RB, but sometimes, for whatever reason, that's the situation a defense will find itself in. maybe they didn't get to substitute, maybe they did, and the offense ran a different play than they were expecting. maybe they were in a perfect defense for the play called for down and distance and Rivers sent someone in motion, saw the coverages, and changed the play? Either way, sometimes a OLB will have to cover a guy out of the backfield. It happens.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think they worry less about it when they win.

If they give up less than 200 yards passing and lose, that's a bigger deal. It just is.

That may be true for the head coach. The defensive coordinator and his assistants are more worried when giving up 500+ yards though.

D

Deleted member 6794

The way the Chargers were throwing the ball...yes the dime would make sense all the time until they showed us they could then run the ball effectively. But I was talking about important 3rd downs where they have a medium yardage to go for a 1st. And the fast and quick back was one on one with a big man. To me that is an unacceptable chance to take. The final play showed the difference with them trying the same play but we had a DB out there.

I watched the replay and only found one play on third down when Neal ended up covering Woodhead. On that play it seems Matthews was supposed to cover the Chargers RB but he went into motion and while Clay moved with him before the snap he rushed the passer on the play. The Packers were in a dime formation on that play and for whatever reason Hayward decided to blitz Rivers as well which resulted in Neal having to drop into coverage. I don´t think that was Capers idea on that play though.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I think it is noteworthy that the Chargers ended up very close to a TD in that last drive. I think that both offensively and defensively you never go into a totally conservative mode.
On their last drive, the Chargers passed the ball 7 times before their first and goal at the 3. All 7 were completed. One went for 13 yards, four went for 12 yards, one went for 11 yards and on the only play they rushed only three, the pass was completed for 5 yards. So the play on which the Packers were "most conservative", they were most successful.

It didn't look to me like they were playing prevent defense for any of that drive. For example look at this 2nd and 5 play during the last drive. The Packers rushed 6 and the result was a great pass and great catch for a 13-yard gain:
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-...Gates-makes-one-handed-catch-for-13-yard-gain

Play by play: http://jsonline.sportsdirectinc.com...nfl/playbyplay/2015-2016/playbyplay47018.html

Members online

Latest posts