And magic # part 2

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Let's try this again

Here is the best Stat for the defense

http://tinyurl.com/oyjltdu

Green Bay climbed two spots to No. 1 in the league in scoring defense over the bye. The Packers have allowed 101 points through six games for an average of 16.8 per game, ahead of division rival Minnesota and this week’s opponent, fellow unbeaten Denver, by the narrowest of margins.

The Vikings and Broncos have allowed 102 points in six games (17.0 avg.) to tie for second

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I respectfully disagree. A bend but don't break defense will not win superbowls. If you are giving up yards all over the place; it will come back to bite you sooner than later. That said, I like our D if we could only get off the field more often after 3rd down. I am not a Caper's fan. Anyone that wants to use the 3 man rush is washed up imho. And I disagree with anyone that says we don't have the players. I am looking forward to the rest of the season.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I respectfully disagree. A bend but don't break defense will not win superbowls. If you are giving up yards all over the place; it will come back to bite you sooner than later. That said, I like our D if we could only get off the field more often after 3rd down. I am not a Caper's fan. Anyone that wants to use the 3 man rush is washed up imho. And I disagree with anyone that says we don't have the players. I am looking forward to the rest of the season.

What has Capers done wrong so far this year?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A fair question. Things are going pretty well and I like that he is giving the two rookie DBs experience. Keep Mathews in the middle and we should be good.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

New England has given up more yards than GB

Denver is #1 with least yards allowed.... Tampa is 4th... Packers are 12th. You rather be as good as Tampa with yards given up? You win handly, sometimes the other team only passes and that's how yards are racked

So worrying about yards clearly can back fire.. As I pointed about in 2005 Packers were #1 vs passing yards given up.. But we were 4-12....

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
New England has given up more yards than GB

Denver is #1 with least yards allowed.... Tampa is 4th... Packers are 12th. You rather be as good as Tampa with yards given up? You win handly, sometimes the other team only passes and that's how yards are racked

So worrying about yards clearly can back fire.. As I pointed about in 2005 Packers were #1 vs passing yards given up.. But we were 4-12....
Are games decided by yards or points? Sometimes i can't tell on here

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So much of giving up a lot of passing yards is because you are winning the game. I am only trying to point out that the really excellent defenses are stingy in giving up 1st downs. And I get worried about the defense getting tired at the end of the game if they are on the field too long through the 1st 3 quarters. Like I said though...I love this team and am looking forward to the rest of the season.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
So much of giving up a lot of passing yards is because you are winning the game. I am only trying to point out that the really excellent defenses are stingy in giving up 1st downs. And I get worried about the defense getting tired at the end of the game if they are on the field too long through the 1st 3 quarters. Like I said though...I love this team and am looking forward to the rest of the season.

Packers 40% 3rd downs converted- that's 22nd in league..below average

New England 43%

Houston 1st with 29%

In fact the top 10 in lowest % allowed there are 5 whose record is under. 500

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/downs/sort/thirdDownConvPct/position/defense

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
IMO the yards given up in the first 3 quarters are probably more telling. 4th quarter garbage yardage skews the stats. IIRC Gurleys big run was late in the game as were a few long passes this season.

D

Deleted member 6794

IMO the yards given up in the first 3 quarters are probably more telling. 4th quarter garbage yardage skews the stats. IIRC Gurleys big run was late in the game as were a few long passes this season.

Interestingly, this season the Packers are ranked 4th in the league in yards allowed per play during the first three quarters at 4.71 while ranking only 31st in the fourth quarter at 6.71.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What has Capers done wrong so far this year?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Capers has done well this season. But that doesn't change the fact that he has underperformed for the last few years. He will have to put together a few season in a row to get back in my good graces.

Narveson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe the main reason why the Pack gave up so many yards through the air vs the Chargers is that the defense was on the field way too much.

Packers offense went 20 minutes without a 1st down between the 3rd and 4th quarter. The offense needs to move the ball and keep possession. They obviously need to score but they can't go 3 and out 4 straight times. That puts too much pressure on the defense.

D

Deleted member 6794

I believe the main reason why the Pack gave up so many yards through the air vs the Chargers is that the defense was on the field way too much.

Packers offense went 20 minutes without a 1st down between the 3rd and 4th quarter. The offense needs to move the ball and keep possession. They obviously need to score but they can't go 3 and out 4 straight times. That puts too much pressure on the defense.

There´s no denying the offense has to reduce the three-and-outs, after week 6 the unit was ranked 27th in the league at 26.2% compared to being second in 2014 at 14.1%. The defense not being able to stop the Chargers on third down contributed to them being on the field way too much as well.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Capers has done well this season. But that doesn't change the fact that he has underperformed for the last few years. He will have to put together a few season in a row to get back in my good graces.

This goes right back to has he underperformed or has it been the players? No reason to discuss it though as it's been talked about many times here already.

D

Deleted member 6794

Bingo.

Coaches and players worry about wins and losses. People who play fantasy football sweat the stats.

Do you really think the coaches weren't concerned about the defense giving up 500+ passing yards to Rivers and tried to figure out a way to prevent that from happening again??? :rolleyes:

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you really think the coaches weren't concerned about the defense giving up 500+ passing yards to Rivers and tried to figure out a way to prevent that from happening again??? :rolleyes:

If the offense played a better game no way Rivers throws for that because he's standing on the sidelines. Won't be able to get away with that Sunday Night.

D

Deleted member 6794

If the offense played a better game no way Rivers throws for that because he's standing on the sidelines.

There's no denying the offense's performance factored into the defense guving up that many yards. But it's naive to think the coaching staff didn't address it because the team won the game.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think they worry less about it when they win.

If they give up less than 200 yards passing and lose, that's a bigger deal. It just is.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Let's try this again

Here is the best Stat for the defense

http://tinyurl.com/oyjltdu
Not that I want to steal your thunder but a couple of things. The Bronco's 102 points include 18+ given up by the Bronco's offense, ie: Manning, on pick 6's. So in reality, the Bronco's defense has really only given up 84 points. The Vikings 102 points include 2 points given to the Lions on a safety at the end of the game in order to move the kick out of the end zone.

That being said, 101 points is still pretty impressive.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Not that I want to steal your thunder but a couple of things. The Bronco's 102 points include 18+ given up by the Bronco's offense, ie: Manning, on pick 6's. So in reality, the Bronco's defense has really only given up 84 points. The Vikings 102 points include 2 points given to the Lions on a safety at the end of the game in order to move the kick out of the end zone.

That being said, 101 points is still pretty impressive.

Is that counted already?

Members online

Latest posts