1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Big Announcement Coming for 2015 Football Season!!

Be on the look out for a big Packer Forum announcement when the schedule is released. Full details coming soon...

Al Harris trade rumor

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by magic_8ball, Oct 13, 2006.

1. magic_8ball

magic_8ball Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    From foxsports.com rumor section:
    The 49ers are reportedly interested in adding a veteran cornerback to their struggling secondary, possibly in exchange for a future draft pick. The one guy who might be available is Al Harris from the Packers. Problem is, there is baggage: Harris missed offseason workouts because he wanted a new contract. Last week, he dropped an interception that landed in his hands and was schooled by Rams wide receiver Torry Holt.

Posted October 13, by Ben Maller

I have no idea how we would replace him, however, if he keeps playing the way he has, I guess it wouldn't be that hard. Still I think its a long shot.

2. Since69

Since69 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    If the 49ers want an aging CB, Troy Vincent would make more sense.

3. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +645
    this trade will not happen.

4. trippster

trippster Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    "schooled" by Torry holt? What game did they watch? Didn't Tory have a a total of 40 yards?

5. tkpckfan

tkpckfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    this wont happen we cant afford to give up a db right now

6. net

net Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +62
    Notice the 'source' didn't mention any attribution, meaning its pulled from his/her arse to fill column inches.

Behind the Packers starters there's virtually no one. So TT would be saying "bombs away" to every opponent the rest of the season.

For a draft pick? What utter nonsense. A starting cornerback like Al would need a first rounder, minimum, something that ain't gonna happen.

7. Greg C.

Greg C. Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    It sounded more and more suspicious as I read it, and the "schooled by Torry Holt" line was the icing on the cake. Holt had 3 catches for 40 yards and a TD. The TD was on a quick slant into the middle of the end zone, where there was no safety help.

8. GakkofNorway

GakkofNorway Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Trade him if we get good value,

this season is most likely lost and Al Harris is doing next to nothing.

If we get value for an underachieving slightly disgruntled and aging CB, why not?

9. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Fox Sports has 0 creditability in my opinion. ok maybe a little but not much.

10. Packnic

Packnic Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6
    i agree gakk. hes playing like a punk lately. and as soon as this season is over, hes gonna be a pain in the *** about money. so if we can do something about it now and get something for him. why not do so. dont let it come to him bitchin about money and becoming a big deal .

11. skylerjheav

skylerjheav Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree that if we could get good value for him we should trade him. But like many before me have pointed out, the article seems hoaky. It doesn't even say that the 49ers have contacted the Pack only that Al Harris "might" be available.

12. dhpackr

dhpackr Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    When would the trade take place? Right away, trade harris now? well you are throwing in the towell on the whole season. that's how i see it. what round draft pick would he be traded for?

a second & third for next year. i would do that.

13. billv

billv Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    This comes from Fox, so it means nothing.

14. GakkofNorway

GakkofNorway Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    It was in the San Francisco Chronicle..

15. pack_in_black

pack_in_black Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, my friend @ work is always on the niners board, and showed me a thread about this the other day..

Everyone seems excited way more about Nate Clements. But I'm pretty sure that there won't be any blockbusters. I can't see TT pulling a quick trigger on something like this, it just aint his style. Would be neat to be involved in any big-time trade, though.

16. thetombradyhater

thetombradyhater Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't see it happening, especially since I couldn't see Al harris being happy with going to san fransico, also 69 Vincent's been playing safety of late (before he was cut)

17. Cdnfavrefan

Cdnfavrefan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I can't see the Packers losing Al. It's taking them long enough to finally have to starting corners and we've seen it's not that easy to just draft one and coach him into a starter.

18. yooperfan

yooperfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I would like to see Al go if possible.
    I think he is very unhappy and dogging it (watch the replay of Holts TD a few times).
    The problem is we have no depth at corner or safety to allow a move.

19. PackerLegend

PackerLegend Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldnt really mind because Al Harris is no Champ Bailey and he is getting old and unhappy.

20. Cdnfavrefan

Cdnfavrefan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I think we'd be surprised how hard it would be to replace AL, unless he does not play to his capabilities

21. packedhouse01

packedhouse01 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    If we had a young dback that was just about ready to play and you could trade him for either another quality player or a top first rounder, I'd make the trade. However, we don't have anyone ready to come in and play so I don't think this trade will happen.

22. net

net Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +62
    "Al Harris is doing next to nothing". No, not much, just guarding the other team's #1 receiver.

Why is there always an assumption that the "trade" will upgrade what the Packers currently have?

We had a 'young'...speedy...db named A. Carroll. The Packers cut him. Cut him, for nothing. So they are going to give away their top corner for....what? So the other teams can pick on the rookie like they did Carroll?

First off, the season isn't over yet...far from it.

The Packers have to play San Fran on Dec. 10. So we hand them our top cornerback for essentially nothing this year(maybe ever) so he can come and give all of our reads to an opponent who will use it to beat us?

Sounds like fundamental thinking to me...........(sigh)

23. CaliforniaCheez

CaliforniaCheez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    A trade could make a lot of sense.

Al is getting slower, more disgruntled, and worth less with every week.

The Packers will be drafting a CB rather high next year. Moving Harris gains a draft pick and the 49'ers get a better player at a cost less likely less than Clements.

Bush and maybe Blackmon are due on the field this year though I doubt anyone can prove themselves in McCarthy/Shottenheimer defensive scheme. Can it really get that much worse??

GM's are paid to make tough calls and this is one of them.

24. rundemc

rundemc Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    shoulda traded al harris before this year while people thought he was a good corner if they watch the film of him this year hes worth a 3rd rounder at the most probably more like a 4th