AJ Dillon the starter?

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm still holding out hope that they can sign at least one of Jones and Williams. I read an article yesterday can't remember who right now, that showed between renegotiations, cuts, and extensions that the Packers could save as much as 71 million in cap money.If so, I believe they can resign Lindsley, Jones, and Williams and still have enough to bring in one or two guys from outside.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would they have offered Williams an offer when they clearly were doing all they could to see if they could come to a Jones agreement?

It makes complete sense for the Williams discussions to start now and progress forward.

Dillon was drafted for this precise scenario, it was NEVER about 2020 when we picked him it had everything to do with 2021 and the risk of the RB room being in reboot. He 100% if healthy can be your #1, he needs a change of pace or solid #2 with him however, Williams and him truly would be a great combo mixed with a small speedy style 3rd.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tough decisions and I think the one we're going to be left with is just moving on with Dillon and drafting another and bringing in a 1-2 year type vet.

Jones is most explosive, he's also going to cost more than I think is prudent at the RB position in this day and age. Coupled with the fact he's not your every down pounder that can do anything and everything from the RB position. He certainly has strengths, very strong ones but I don't see him as the every down, workhorse that does it all. While nice to have, when you have invested that heavily in your QB, you don't invest that much into this type of RB.

Williams would be the most affordable. he's solid. I think an underrated pass catcher. Tough, solid, consistent and ball secure runner. Great pass blocker. But his skill set isn't that of an explosive game changer like Jones. and while great to have on a team, I think his skills are more easily replaced. Not easy, but more easily. Someone is likely going to pay him a fair amount, but do we knowing he's not the game changer?

I think it's a done deal that Jones is going to get more than we should even think about paying him. I'm not certain Williams is going to get that much. If he does, we move on obviously. 4M average is about the high end of what I'd want to keep him at. 6-7 or more? Time to replace and move on.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm not certain Williams is going to get that much. If he does, we move on obviously. 4M average is about the high end of what I'd want to keep him at. 6-7 or more? Time to replace and move on.

I don't think it would be smart for the Packers to pay a backup running back $4 million a season either considering they have limited cap space available this offseason.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it wouldn't be my hope that's what we do, but I could stomach it and that would be the highest amount I probably could. I think it's likely we're using a draft pick.

OP
OP
GreenNGold_81

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder if they don't sign Jamaal, if they get Gainwell in the 2nd. I wonder if he drops out of the first round. I'd be doubtful if he falls to the 3rd. I think this is a year where we trade out of the first assuming we don't get someone falling to us.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder if they don't sign Jamaal, if they get Gainwell in the 2nd. I wonder if he drops out of the first round. I'd be doubtful if he falls to the 3rd. I think this is a year where we trade out of the first assuming we don't get someone falling to us.

Gainwell will be there outside the first for sure. If Etienne and Harris both go very quick it could bump both awesome backs out of UNC and Gainwell up some. I wouldn't be shocked if Gainwell is there for our second pick for sure. The risk is waiting till our 3rd rounder, I doubt he lasts or I feel he shouldn't.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
You're advocating for drafting a backup in the second round? So much for all in. :whistling:

OP
OP
GreenNGold_81

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're advocating for drafting a backup in the second round? So much for all in. :whistling:

I'm typically BPA with the draft, just would have to think twice if someone who's a projected top talent that's fallen based on circumstance, is in our lap at the end of the 2nd round. In this case, he'd be lighting to AJ's thunder.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The Packers had about 380 true running back rushing attempts in 2020.

Whether it's Williams, Jones, or someone else, they will absolutely have more guys in the backfield who can legitimately handle work-- at least one other besides Dillon who can handle 100+ carries.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm sorry Poppa I like ya and all but if you think drafting the second head in our backfield in Gainwell is merely adding a backup I think you either don't understand the power of multi-backs in the MLF system is or you don't know about Gainwell. Gainwell also is VERY comfortably out of the slot as a WR - with above average route running abilities and hands very few rookie RBs enter the league with. He is about as perfect of a complimentary back we could ask for IMO, which is why he is my #1 RB for our team specifically.

Dude could be a feature back for a game, play that jet/sweep motion man and serve as a slot. Very skillful weapon that I 100% could understand if Gute fell in love with him and even drafted him in the first...albeit it unnecessary.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'm sorry Poppa I like ya and all but if you think drafting the second head in our backfield in Gainwell is merely adding a backup I think you either don't understand the power of multi-backs in the MLF system is or you don't know about Gainwell. Gainwell also is VERY comfortably out of the slot as a WR - with above average route running abilities and hands very few rookie RBs enter the league with. He is about as perfect of a complimentary back we could ask for IMO, which is why he is my #1 RB for our team specifically.

Dude could be a feature back for a game, play that jet/sweep motion man and serve as a slot. Very skillful weapon that I 100% could understand if Gute fell in love with him and even drafted him in the first...albeit it unnecessary.

Pretty sure Poppa was just poking fun at the fact that people have been throwing a hissy for months because “the Packers drafted backups in the first three rounds of 2020.”

Which is just fantastic.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty sure Poppa was just poking fun at the fact that people have been throwing a hissy for months because “the Packers drafted backups in the first three rounds of 2020.”

Which is just fantastic.

Oh man, if this is true bravo @Poppa San BRAVO!!!!

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
OP
OP
GreenNGold_81

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reading on Twitter that James White has interest in signing... Dillon, White, draft pick would be pretty good. White probably cheaper than Jamaal would be.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I don’t like James White at all in this offense.

The whole premise of the system is to run and pass out of identical personnel and formations.

To do that, you need players who are threats in both facets.

So I can’t see the great value in a 29 year old running back who isn’t much of a runner.

OP
OP
GreenNGold_81

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t like James White at all in this offense.

The whole premise of the system is to run and pass out of identical personnel and formations.

To do that, you need players who are threats in both facets.

So I can’t see the great value in a 29 year old running back who isn’t much of a runner.

Ya, I get that, but $$$ plays a role here as well. If we're in a pinch, maybe we have to jam a square peg into a round hole. That said, Gurley looks like he'll be available too...

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Ya, I get that, but $$$ plays a role here as well. If we're in a pinch, maybe we have to jam a square peg into a round hole. That said, Gurley looks like he'll be available too...

Cap space is going to be tight this off-season, but RB isn’t exactly the most expensive spot on the roster.

D

Deleted member 6794

it wouldn't be my hope that's what we do, but I could stomach it and that would be the highest amount I probably could. I think it's likely we're using a draft pick.

I fully expect the Packers to use a draft pick on a running back. But I don't think they have the cap space to offer Williams $4 million a season though.

Which is just fantastic.

Which, most importantly, is true. The Packers used their first four picks in last year's draft on players that combined to play a total of 128 snaps last season.

There's no doubt neither of them was anything else than a backup at best.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Dillon ISN'T the starter next season, then Gute needs to face time kind of consequence, like getting a fan-voted tattoo on his face. Gute drafted the guy in round 2... If he's not the starter by year 2, then the pick was an absolute disaster.

Reaction score
Reading on Twitter that James White has interest in signing... Dillon, White, draft pick would be pretty good. White probably cheaper than Jamaal would be.

I would like to get White and also Samuel from the Panthers, especially if we don't resign Jones. We would be adding another playmaker/wrinkle to our offense. I think we would also keep most of our running production/yards from last year while increasing our passing. I think our offense would be as good as last year or even slightly better assuming we keep Williams and the offensive line intact in that scenario.

As much as I like Dillion, and I agree that he is probably ready to take a huge step forward like everybody else seems to think, I think that we at the very least need to resign Jamaal Williams and the offensive line for me to feel comfortable about the running game if we do lose Jones, which seems likely.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts