AJ Dillon the starter?

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Dillon ISN'T the starter next season, then Gute needs to face time kind of consequence, like getting a fan-voted tattoo on his face. Gute drafted the guy in round 2... If he's not the starter by year 2, then the pick was an absolute disaster.
While I think there is a very good chance that Dillon will be a decent player, your take is extreme to say the least. Josh Jackson, Josh Jones, Quinton Rollins.... remember them? all second round picks.... Obviously we all want our 2nd round picks to be starters... but expecting it is not realistic.

OP
OP
GreenNGold_81

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I think there is a very good chance that Dillon will be a decent player, your take is extreme to say the least. Josh Jackson, Josh Jones, Quinton Rollins.... remember them? all second round picks.... Obviously we all want our 2nd round picks to be starters... but expecting it is not realistic.

Brian Brohm would probably be the best example there....

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would they have offered Williams an offer when they clearly were doing all they could to see if they could come to a Jones agreement?

It makes complete sense for the Williams discussions to start now and progress forward.

So you think they've given up on signing jones?

I doubt it...I still think that signing is very much on the table. In the end I think jones takes a little less to stay where he's at and win a sb with Rodgers.

I don't doubt dillon can be a starter in the nfl I just think mlf wants to have 2 starting caliber feature guys that complement each other. Jones and dillon are that combination.

I don't care what anyone says, williams will not be starting for any team in 2021. He's an awesome role player a great teammate but he's not a feature back

D

Deleted member 6794

I would like to get White and also Samuel from the Panthers, especially if we don't resign Jones. We would be adding another playmaker/wrinkle to our offense. I think we would also keep most of our running production/yards from last year while increasing our passing. I think our offense would be as good as last year or even slightly better assuming we keep Williams and the offensive line intact in that scenario.

Where do the Packers get the cap space from to sign Williams and keep the offensive line intact while adding White and Samuel in your opinion?

While it's true that not every second round pick ends up being a starter it's disappointing if it doesn't happen.

Especially at running back, even more considering Gutekunst used the pick despite not having an immediate need at the position.

So you think they've given up on signing jones?

I doubt it...I still think that signing is very much on the table. In the end I think jones takes a little less to stay where he's at and win a sb with Rodgers.

I don't doubt dillon can be a starter in the nfl I just think mlf wants to have 2 starting caliber feature guys that complement each other. Jones and dillon are that combination.

I'm quite sure the Packers want to re-sign Jones but they most likely don't have the cap space to pull it off.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the situation this year, what does anyone think about good players taking one year contracts to see how things shake out the following year?

Reaction score
Where do the Packers get the cap space from to sign Williams and keep the offensive line intact while adding White and Samuel in your opinion?

I don't know but I have seen those names being mentioned a lot with regards to free agents that we may sign. I don't really know what to expect with regards to free agency because of the cap space, but I have seen a lot of speculation that we may restructure a lot of deals, plus we are going to be letting some players go and not resign them as well.

Honestly, I think our biggest need is defense, although I am not sure if we could adequately address it totally through the draft, but I was just saying it would be nice to have those two on offense.

With that being said, if we can't at the very least resign our offensive line and Williams, our offense is going to take a hit. It would also be nice to get one running back or receiver in the draft or sign a cheap free agent to a short term deal at he very least if we don't get Aaron Jones resigned.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

And, per Sunshine's position, they were considered disasters.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And, per Sunshine's position, they were considered disasters.
That is the point.... I could continue to name second round and even first round picks all across the league that were busts. To make the statement that if last year’s second round pick is “not the starter” Gute should “have to face sound kind of consequences”... is ridiculous.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aha, now I think I get it. Just like so many other situations during the year, it's not appropriate to get upset with anything to do with the Packers if other teams also screw up. Got it.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Aha, now I think I get it. Just like so many other situations during the year, it's not appropriate to get upset with anything to do with the Packers if other teams also screw up. Got it.
So you think Gutekunst needs to face some kind of consequences too?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

The point isn’t so much that’s it’s inappropriate to get upset. If people want to continue to be upset about a draft that happened 10 months ago, that’s their call.

The point is that the same people make the same complaints over and over and over and over. They’re free to do so, and others are free to point out that’s it’s redundant and premature.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
So you think Gutekunst needs to face some kind of consequences too?

Some Packer fans can be so incredibly spoiled and entitled.

Since Gutekunst had the chance to hire his pick at HC, the team is 28-8 and has been in back to back NFCCG’s.

People who want Gutekunst fired or on the hot seat deserve to be Lions fans.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Getting upset isn’t the point. I’m on record as being very against last years draft. I’m not going to rehash that again here. But despite your condescending rhetoric, I think it’s ridiculous to suggest that a GM should be punished simply because a particular draft choice doesn’t work out.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

When you draft a running back in the second round, it means that guy better be a starter or you have failed at your job. There is literally no other standard to drafting a running back that high in the draft.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
When you draft a running back in the second round, it means that guy better be a starter or you have failed at your job. There is literally no other standard to drafting a running back that high in the draft.

You mean they have to become starters or they have to start as rookies?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
They should be starters as rookies but they darn well better be starters by year 2.

So I guess I'm asking you, are you saying that Dillon is already a failed pick, or that he will be one if he isn't the lead back in 2021?

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I guess I'm asking you, are you saying that Dillon is already a failed pick, or that he will be one if he isn't the lead back in 2021?

I think drafting a RB in round 2 is a bad idea and I think a draft selection at WR, CB, or DL would have been a better choice. However, what I am saying is that if the Packers let Aaron Jones go then it's obvious that they drafted Dillon with the expectation that he would be the replacement. ANY team that drafts a RB in the first 2-3 rounds is drafting that guy with the expectation that he will be a starter. If Dillon is not the starter next season, then he's a bust.

What's weird is that most posters on this board don't think RBs are worth any decent money in free agency and, if that's true, then you better get your value out of the RB on his rookie deal. If Dillon isn't the starter by year 2 then you've wasted half his valuable years on the team.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm quite sure the Packers want to re-sign Jones but they most likely don't have the cap space to pull it off.

Well I guess I would argue that the fact, if true, that they offered him a 12 m per deal towards the end of the season implies that the Packers front office believes they do have the ability to create the cap space to sign Jones

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I think drafting a RB in round 2 is a bad idea and I think a draft selection at WR, CB, or DL would have been a better choice. However, what I am saying is that if the Packers let Aaron Jones go then it's obvious that they drafted Dillon with the expectation that he would be the replacement. ANY team that drafts a RB in the first 2-3 rounds is drafting that guy with the expectation that he will be a starter. If Dillon is not the starter next season, then he's a bust.

What's weird is that most posters on this board don't think RBs are worth any decent money in free agency and, if that's true, then you better get your value out of the RB on his rookie deal. If Dillon isn't the starter by year 2 then you've wasted half his valuable years on the team.

I agree with the point that if Dillon isn’t a major part of the backfield in year 2, that was not a good pick.

The one caveat here is that if they somehow kept Jones and Dillon was really effective as a 180 touch “backup,” he certainly would not be a bust.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Green Bay offered jones that contract that was worth 12 mil a year or so whatever it was if he don’t take that then they could possibly franchise tag him I think that’s around 10 mil. Yeah I know with all the cap space etc everything is a cluster F. But let’s say they get some spending money etc I wouldn’t rule it out. I guess it would depend if he held out or not. I hate to see Jamal Williams go he has SWAG to this team

OP
OP
GreenNGold_81

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Green Bay offered jones that contract that was worth 12 mil a year or so whatever it was if he don’t take that then they could possibly franchise tag him I think that’s around 10 mil. Yeah I know with all the cap space etc everything is a cluster F. But let’s say they get some spending money etc I wouldn’t rule it out. I guess it would depend if he held out or not. I hate to see Jamal Williams go he has SWAG to this team

Jamaal's easily replaceable though by what Dillon brings. Losing Jones hurts much more than losing Jamaal.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't know but I have seen those names being mentioned a lot with regards to free agents that we may sign. I don't really know what to expect with regards to free agency because of the cap space, but I have seen a lot of speculation that we may restructure a lot of deals, plus we are going to be letting some players go and not resign them as well.

Honestly, I think our biggest need is defense, although I am not sure if we could adequately address it totally through the draft, but I was just saying it would be nice to have those two on offense.

With that being said, if we can't at the very least resign our offensive line and Williams, our offense is going to take a hit. It would also be nice to get one running back or receiver in the draft or sign a cheap free agent to a short term deal at he very least if we don't get Aaron Jones resigned.

It's true that the Packers could create cap space for the 2021 season by restructuring several contracts.

While I'm in favor of it to surround Rodgers with as much talent on both sides of the ball Gutekunst needs to keep some balance about it as that would have negative implications on the cap situation in coming years.

The point isn’t so much that’s it’s inappropriate to get upset. If people want to continue to be upset about a draft that happened 10 months ago, that’s their call.

You have repeatedly stated (correctly, I might add) that it takes several years to fairly evaluate a draft class.

Yet people having who weren't happy with last year's draft shouldn't talk about it anymore after only 10 months ??? :rolleyes:

Well I guess I would argue that the fact, if true, that they offered him a 12 m per deal towards the end of the season implies that the Packers front office believes they do have the ability to create the cap space to sign Jones

As I've stated repeatedly, the Packers could afford to re-sign Jones. You have to consider the moves necessary to create enough cap spae to fit his contract under the cap when evaluating it as well though.

If Green Bay offered jones that contract that was worth 12 mil a year or so whatever it was if he don’t take that then they could possibly franchise tag him I think that’s around 10 mil.

It would definitely be smarter to sign Jones to a long-term deal to keep the cap hit relatively low in 2021.

Members online

Latest posts