AJ Dillon 5 carries 6.2 yard average..that’s it??

D

Deleted member 6794

Like Williams (who actually averaged more yards per carry on a small sample size for both of them) Dillon had one great run but wasn't effective other than that.

jon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Rodgers getting pummeled perhaps MLF perhaps didn't trust Dillon in picking up blitzers?

Five games in and your #2 pick can't understand the protection calls.

That aside, MLF wants a run heavy offense. Tampa's offensive is going up and down the field. Perhaps using all three backs to run, run, and run again would have at least kept the Tampa offense off the field and kept GB within range of a come back.

Or maybe not. But since one plan isn't working, you try another.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
What ever the plan is going forward, Murphy had better realize that power football is still to be reckoned with, GB has lots of speed and finesse, but are in need of power players to step in to change the outcome of a game, just adding my 12cents worth..

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What ever the plan is going forward, Murphy had better realize that power football is still to be reckoned with, GB has lots of speed and finesse, but are in need of power players to step in to change the outcome of a game, just adding my 12cents worth..

I don't even think they're as fast as teams like the Bucs and 49ers. They're certainly not as physical.'

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Context is important here. Boyle was in for many of these carries and we had clearly been trying to kill the clock to get the F outta there. If you think this game was indicative of what AJ will do for us, then I don't know what to tell you.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Context is important here. Boyle was in for many of these carries and we had clearly been trying to kill the clock to get the F outta there. If you think this game was indicative of what AJ will do for us, then I don't know what to tell you.

Yup, even those that HATED the pick of him, know the situational runs he had provide us zero substantiation for assumptions moving forward.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dillon is going to get his shot..mark my words...lotta tread off the tires in college...and MLF will bring him in slowly...not sure why though.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dillon is going to get his shot..mark my words...lotta tread off the tires in college...and MLF will bring him in slowly...not sure why though.

Partly because Jamaal looks better this year, he's auditioning for other teams and he knows it (unless we keep him and let Aaron go which I doubt). I think AJ gets his time to shine in December.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Partly because Jamaal looks better this year, he's auditioning for other teams and he knows it (unless we keep him and let Aaron go which I doubt). I think AJ gets his time to shine in December.

I would think it’s more likely we keep Williams and let Jones walk than the other way around.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would think it’s more likely we keep Williams and let Jones walk than the other way around.
I don't think WIlliams would be an expensive re-sign and with the prices people are throwing out for Jones, if that's the reality, you don't sign him. He has his moments, but he also has his limitations.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Count me in the camp of Williams gets resigned instead of Jones. Numerous reasons I like and hate that - but to stay on topic IF not this season trust me no matter how it washes out 2021 is going to be a massive task for Dillon as he will be our #2

D

Deleted member 6794

With Rodgers getting pummeled perhaps MLF perhaps didn't trust Dillon in picking up blitzers?

Jones and Williams didn't excel at picking up blitzes vs. the Bucs either.

Dillon had three of five carries with Rodgers still being in at quarterback.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When did he get the 20 yard carry? If it was still when the game was somewhat in contention that's a good sign...

It was the first series in the 4th quarter, believe this was with Aaron still in the game, but game wasn't entirely in contention. Honestly, TB probably knew if they stuffed that possession it was the game's "dagger" to use a Packer radio term - so still promising.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Five games in and your #2 pick can't understand the protection calls.

That aside, MLF wants a run heavy offense. Tampa's offensive is going up and down the field. Perhaps using all three backs to run, run, and run again would have at least kept the Tampa offense off the field and kept GB within range of a come back.

Or maybe not. But since one plan isn't working, you try another.

It’s not, not understanding protection calls. It’s that pass blocking for a RB is very difficult, and Dillon basically never did it in college.

He will figure it out eventually, but that wasn’t the game for him to learn in a trial by fire type scenario.

Btw, Dillon had two really nice runs. The 20 yarder where he hit the gap perfectly, made the safety miss, and if not for great LB play might have housed it, and then the other one where Winfield Jr flipped him after 5 or 6 yards. He’s a very talented back.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Toss in the lack of OTAs and pre-season for a rookie that rarely had to do blitz pickup in college, and that creates a very one-dimensional rookie RB. I just hope that LeFluer starts putting him into goal line situations, some straight ahead and some fakes while the defense keys in on the big guy that the Packers just brought to the goal line.

D

Deleted member 6794

Dillon might get a chance to make an impression either way vs. the Texans with Jones being questionable to play.

D

Deleted member 6794

It seems the coaching staff wasn't impressed with Dillon either as he didn't receive another carry until garbage time after the first series of the second quarter.

Members online

Latest posts