1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Ahman Green

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by DeusNova, Nov 2, 2006.

1. DeusNova

DeusNova Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    This question was posted on another forum...

What should the Packers do with Ahman Green after the season? He's had two back to back 100 yard games. He looks like he's hitting his stride, and he is still a quality reciever at his age.

Assuming his play continues, he should surpass the 1000 yard mark. So the question is, should Green Bay bring back Ahman past this season and then draft a running back in the second or third round?

Discuss.

2. jdlax

jdlax Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    If this ends up being a "rensissance" season for Green, and he doesn't try to break the bank because of it, sure, why not?

3. yooperfan

yooperfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    There are still 9 games left to play. Let's see how it goes.
    And I agree with JD on the breaking the bank part.

4. skylerjheav

skylerjheav Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree, overpaying him at this point in his career would be a big mistake.

I don't think he'll get a long term deal in GB. Maybe a two year deal.

5. cyoung

cyoung Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    I would say play him as long as he is a valuable player if he makes the team worse somehow then he shouldn't paly.

6. Sim_4

Sim_4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    It would be great to see Green back with Packers next season - but I also think we should be looking at adding some talent to the backfield in the early rounds.

It would be great to see a "Jackson/Faulk" like combination for a year or two. Green still has a lot to contribute but I suspect his days of "carrying the full load" are behind him. Seems like Morency and Herron could step up too.

7. calicheesehead

calicheesehead Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    We definoitely need to get an RB in this years draft. Green is starting to get it going...well after the OL started to figure it out, but he still has missed games this year being banged up. He needs to play superbly this year to get the contract he wants but I don't see it happening in GB. We still have a long season to go and he's been banged up already so time will tell. Nonetheless we need to draft an RB for sure. I'd rather throw some more money at Harris to keep him happy on the D side.

8. millertime

millertime Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    i think it is good to carry 4 running backs. green could teach a young rookie a lot about football. like faulk and jackson. most important green could shows the younger guys how a leader should act. green is classy and a hardworkers. i think he should be resigned for another two years.

9. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Tough call really. I assume morency and herron will be back next year or at least for camp. I think if Green can be brought back for another year as a 3rd down RB and someone to spot whoever we go out and fine.

It would really come down to if Green wants to take a smaller role instead of one he has had in the past.

10. umair

umair Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    if he playes good this season i dont see why the packers shouldent keep him for another year.

11. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,481
    As long as he continues to produce like he has this year why would he be a 3rd down back?

I say see if he would accept a very nice base, with lot of bonuses put in for 2 years, or let him test the market to see what he could get..

12. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +652
    i don't think the any organization would demote someone like ahman green unless he gave them a reason to. the real question is if ahman would sign for a less than block-buster salary.

13. CalifPacker

CalifPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Although Green is picking up some steam it is a bit early to look at next year, IMO. If he ends the season over 1,000 yds and a good avg. per carry then perhaps the Packers could work out another incentive laden short term deal.

Nevertheless, I still draft a top RB in the draft.

14. packerfan1245

packerfan1245 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Ahman Green is my favorite player....nuff said. BRING HIM BACK!!!!

15. PackerLegend

PackerLegend Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    If he has a good year i say bring him back, but dont break the bank or give him anything more then a two year deal. With that said I still think we need to draft a RB in round 1 or 2 which we can groom under Ahman Green.

16. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +3,481
    I agree with that thinking ( like a few others have mentioned as well)

17. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    He's 30 years old. Curtis Martin is 33 and he has to retire. Faulk is 33 as well and is doing NFL Network. It's time to look at the future at that position regardless of Green's numbers this year.

18. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +3,481
    like I said I agree in getting a rb in the draft next year...but why not run him until he says enough? as long a she is producing that is..

19. scotty

scotty Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Keep Green and give Morency more carries - just like they've been doing. Morency looks pretty durn good to me... let's see how he does against some tough defenses the rest of the year, he might be our future. Course it sucks that he got hurt, have to wait a couple of weeks.

20. retiredgrampa

retiredgrampa Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    If he continues to show his burst, w/o fumbling, it would be foolish not to keep him on our side. I could see a 3 yr. contract front-loaded w/ a decent SB. He seems to be able to run with our new OL scheme since he also did it at Nebraska. He will never give less than his best, we know that. It should be done around the 14th week, I believe.

21. Drich318

Drich318 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    it all depends on who we draft. If we get Peterson, or someone like that, then Green maybe back for another 1 season, but he won't be the long-term answer.

22. Packers_Finland

Packers_Finland Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    If he continues to play like this, there's no question if we should keep him.

23. wpr

wpr Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't want to be overly critical but if we draft a RB in the 1st round I don't think he should be sitting on the bench watching someone else play.
    For the most 1st round RB are the ones who can come in a start right from the beginning.
    As to Green. If he has a good year GB should offer him an incentive based contract. however, I would be surprised if another team doesn't out bid GB and give him a contract that is not incentive based.

24. Drich318

Drich318 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I think we need to hang onto Green, but we still need to spend a first round pick on a RB. Either Irons, Peterson, or maybe Lynch. But we need another RB. mOorency could be the 3rd down back, and Herron would be gone, or FB.

25. spardo62

spardo62 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    YES.

I would assume GB will offer a 2 or 3 year deal, frontloaded and incentive laden so that after the first year there would be very little impact if he were to be released. It will not be blockbuster type money.

If he, however, feels that he can do better elsewhere he may leave on his own.