Ahman Green

DeusNova

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This question was posted on another forum...

What should the Packers do with Ahman Green after the season? He's had two back to back 100 yard games. He looks like he's hitting his stride, and he is still a quality reciever at his age.

Assuming his play continues, he should surpass the 1000 yard mark. So the question is, should Green Bay bring back Ahman past this season and then draft a running back in the second or third round?

Discuss.

jdlax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If this ends up being a "rensissance" season for Green, and he doesn't try to break the bank because of it, sure, why not?

skylerjheav

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree, overpaying him at this point in his career would be a big mistake.

I don't think he'll get a long term deal in GB. Maybe a two year deal.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would say play him as long as he is a valuable player if he makes the team worse somehow then he shouldn't paly.

Sim_4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would be great to see Green back with Packers next season - but I also think we should be looking at adding some talent to the backfield in the early rounds.

It would be great to see a "Jackson/Faulk" like combination for a year or two. Green still has a lot to contribute but I suspect his days of "carrying the full load" are behind him. Seems like Morency and Herron could step up too.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We definoitely need to get an RB in this years draft. Green is starting to get it going...well after the OL started to figure it out, but he still has missed games this year being banged up. He needs to play superbly this year to get the contract he wants but I don't see it happening in GB. We still have a long season to go and he's been banged up already so time will tell. Nonetheless we need to draft an RB for sure. I'd rather throw some more money at Harris to keep him happy on the D side.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think it is good to carry 4 running backs. green could teach a young rookie a lot about football. like faulk and jackson. most important green could shows the younger guys how a leader should act. green is classy and a hardworkers. i think he should be resigned for another two years.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tough call really. I assume morency and herron will be back next year or at least for camp. I think if Green can be brought back for another year as a 3rd down RB and someone to spot whoever we go out and fine.

It would really come down to if Green wants to take a smaller role instead of one he has had in the past.

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if he playes good this season i dont see why the packers shouldent keep him for another year.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Tough call really. I assume morency and herron will be back next year or at least for camp. I think if Green can be brought back for another year as a 3rd down RB and someone to spot whoever we go out and fine.

It would really come down to if Green wants to take a smaller role instead of one he has had in the past.

As long as he continues to produce like he has this year why would he be a 3rd down back?

I say see if he would accept a very nice base, with lot of bonuses put in for 2 years, or let him test the market to see what he could get..

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i don't think the any organization would demote someone like ahman green unless he gave them a reason to. the real question is if ahman would sign for a less than block-buster salary.

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Although Green is picking up some steam it is a bit early to look at next year, IMO. If he ends the season over 1,000 yds and a good avg. per carry then perhaps the Packers could work out another incentive laden short term deal.

Nevertheless, I still draft a top RB in the draft.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he has a good year i say bring him back, but dont break the bank or give him anything more then a two year deal. With that said I still think we need to draft a RB in round 1 or 2 which we can groom under Ahman Green.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:

As long as he continues to produce like he has this year why would he be a 3rd down back?

I say see if he would accept a very nice base, with lot of bonuses put in for 2 years, or let him test the market to see what he could get..

He's 30 years old. Curtis Martin is 33 and he has to retire. Faulk is 33 as well and is doing NFL Network. It's time to look at the future at that position regardless of Green's numbers this year.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
like I said I agree in getting a rb in the draft next year...but why not run him until he says enough? as long a she is producing that is..

scotty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Keep Green and give Morency more carries - just like they've been doing. Morency looks pretty durn good to me... let's see how he does against some tough defenses the rest of the year, he might be our future. Course it sucks that he got hurt, have to wait a couple of weeks.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he continues to show his burst, w/o fumbling, it would be foolish not to keep him on our side. I could see a 3 yr. contract front-loaded w/ a decent SB. He seems to be able to run with our new OL scheme since he also did it at Nebraska. He will never give less than his best, we know that. It should be done around the 14th week, I believe.

Drich318

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it all depends on who we draft. If we get Peterson, or someone like that, then Green maybe back for another 1 season, but he won't be the long-term answer.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he has a good year i say bring him back, but dont break the bank or give him anything more then a two year deal. With that said I still think we need to draft a RB in round 1 or 2 which we can groom under Ahman Green.
I don't want to be overly critical but if we draft a RB in the 1st round I don't think he should be sitting on the bench watching someone else play.
For the most 1st round RB are the ones who can come in a start right from the beginning.
As to Green. If he has a good year GB should offer him an incentive based contract. however, I would be surprised if another team doesn't out bid GB and give him a contract that is not incentive based.

Drich318

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we need to hang onto Green, but we still need to spend a first round pick on a RB. Either Irons, Peterson, or maybe Lynch. But we need another RB. mOorency could be the 3rd down back, and Herron would be gone, or FB.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
YES.

I would assume GB will offer a 2 or 3 year deal, frontloaded and incentive laden so that after the first year there would be very little impact if he were to be released. It will not be blockbuster type money.

If he, however, feels that he can do better elsewhere he may leave on his own.

Members online

Latest posts