Ahman Green

fondypackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone else think its time that Davenport gets more playing time? Green isn't really running that well and the fumbles are becoming a liablity. With Green being two years older and both there contracts coming up I think its time to see what Davenport can do with regular carries.

v00d00

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hindsight is always 20/20 they say, but when I heard that Ahman green was asking the Packers for a 14 million dollar contract, I thought it was time for Green to pack it in and take a hike. In no way does this mean that I don't appreciate him for what he has done here, but the kind of money he's asking for is ridiculous! This guy is not getting younger, and his fumbling problem rears it's ugly head at the most inopportune times. 14 mil Ahman? Get real buddy...

Is Davenport the answer? I don't know. But he's what we have left after Green, and I still believe that Green Bay could have an effective running back tandem between him and Fisher.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd hate to lose Green, but I believe in an old baseball saying I heard a GM say that says something like it's better to trade a away player too soon in his career than too late.

In Green's case we wouldn't be trading him, but the analogy still applies. I think it's very risky spending big bucks on guys who are nearing 30. He's not 30 yet, but the majority of his contract would be for years after he's 30. I'd hate to be stuck with a declining player who has a big salary like we did with Antonio Freeman.

It's kind of a cold business at times because I really like what Ahman has done for us over the years, but from a business standpoint I think we might be better off not giving him the huge contract he wants. We need the money to build up the defense in my opinion, and I don't want a huge contract to tie our hands with the salary cap like Freemon's seemed to do.

acw

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ahman might not be the best running back, but he's damn close. Think about all the times he has gotten that first down with his head down, plowing through defenders. He's worth his weight in crude oil.

It's not the yearly amount, it's the signing bonus. They can give him a 10 year 40 million dollar contract for all I care, he's worth 4 mil next year. If he doesn't work out, cut him. However, if he gets a huge signing bonus we couldn't afford to cut him. That's what happen with Freeman.

I wouldn't sell the farm to keep him, however I would make EVERY attempt possible short of that.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Has anyone considered the current crop of RB's about to hit the Draft?
Man's right - Batman is getting older, and what's the current lifespan of a RB?
Look at Denver - only good thing about it all that we've been spared with Ahman is 'no chunky soup' commercials which usually spell doom for a player with hollywood stars in his eyes..
I like the way Najeh runs, almost parallel to the ground ala Alstott, but he's not a lead RB and having Fisher in there, certainly spells the other two. Fisher is no Ahman Green, either. Remember that!

So, who do we go get? Ex: look at Dallas right now...

Brad

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we keep Ahman Green...He runs like no other running back in the league...he keeps his shoulders square and body low, no one ever gets a solid shot on him in the open field and thats the key to longevity for a running back in the NFL...avoid all those hits...and green is very good at that...i think he'll be around a considerably long time still and i think it would be foolish to give him up...Davenport just isn't the same and i can see him getting hurt halfway through a season just by his pad level when he runs...he runs straight up and down and that is how you get killed as a RB :comp:

NCPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would love to see Davenport get more playing time, but he can't seem to stay healthy. He's limited now by two broken ribs suffered in the Rams game. I also seem to recall him fumbling occasionally as well. We just notice Greens fumbles more because he's out there every game. IMO, Greens the best back Green Bay has had since John Brockington. He does seem to fumble at the worst times, but like Mr. Favre, we have to take the good with the bad sometimes. I also don't think he would go into the tank like Freeman did after his big payday. 14 million might be a bit much, but he has more than earned a nice raise.

Gravedigger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ahman Green is playing with very sore ribs and Davenport has broken ribs. Time for more Fisher.

Fred Taylor is a heck of a running back!

Members online

Latest posts