After this loss can we still make Playoffs

c_mac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Huh? Momentum shifted back and forth all game long. Seemed to me that both VERY EQUAL teams kept throwing their best punches at each other, yet both refused to fall down. Great game that came down to a excellent (for them) long FG kick.

Not sure what game you watched...

Apparently not the one you watched. The one that I watched was the one where we NEVER once had the lead and played catch-up all game. I guess which ever one you saw had us winning at certain points?

Being in control and imposing your will means that you go out there, put up more points than the other team, and don't allow them to dictate the game. We did not do that.

Again, you certainly must have watched a different game than me.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Special Teams is more to blame. They gave up a big return + penalty with 56 seconds left.

Agreed. I think the D played well. 2 sacks. If they D hadn't been able to stop them, those freakin Falcons may very well of scored on nearly every one of their drives. The Falcons have a really good offense, they can run the ball and they have a solid receiving corps. But so do the Packers (running game is not nearly as good but Aaron can move the ball himself). Back to the D, I really think they played a solid game, keeping it a 1 score game all day.

The person I'd hate to be right now is Bulaga. That guy needs a hug!!!

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure, but we need to go 4-1, which is doable.
If we do that, we will most likely get the #2 seed ahead of the NFC East winning Eagles (or Giants). We've beaten Philly already. I think we'll kick the heck out of the Giants.
I expect us to go 4-1, but I think we can win at New England too.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People, people.

Look at all that had to happen for us to lose this game. A freakish fumble in the 1 yard line, that bounced into the endzone. 2 4th down conversions. The D not playing like it usual. And the ST blunder.

Like I said before, they are a great team, no shame in losing at their home.

The way we played gives me belief that we can go deep. Specially Rodgers' play.

maxlives

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those who have been pessimistic all season have cause to wring their hands and think about jumping off the bandwagon, however, those of us who have patience have reason to be optimistic today. We are still pretty dinged up, have big issues on ST and with our running game and STILL played the Falcons well enough to win, just didn't get the breaks today. I like our chances the rest of the way, guess we'll see.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
I guess which ever one you saw had us winning at certain points?

You guess incorrectly.

Regarding the "dictate" comment: I think the Packers were doing mostly what they wanted to do right up until the fumble. Keeping the score managable at 3-3 in their stadium and threatening to go up 10-3 from the one yard line at that point in the game most definitely had the Falcon's attention and the crowd silenced. Maybe it wasn't "imposing our will", but it was certainly matching step for step with an elite team.

Then, marching down the field in the closing minutes to score the tying TD was, imo, "imposing will". Unfortunately, the Falcons where able to return the favor.

I will agree that the Falcons seemed just a little better than the Pack for most of the game. But it wasn't really either team consistently able to impose will or dictate the game. It came down to one or two plays that could have gone either way and an excellent final kick for the win for the home team. I saw it as equals, maybe even almost equal "elite teams" battling it out.

Then again, I think the Packers are a Finley and an RB away from being "elite".

Guess I see more positives than you do. That's the game I watched.

PFanCan

Reaction score
People, people.

Look at all that had to happen for us to lose this game. A freakish fumble in the 1 yard line, that bounced into the endzone. 2 4th down conversions. The D not playing like it usual. And the ST blunder.

Like I said before, they are a great team, no shame in losing at their home.

The way we played gives me belief that we can go deep. Specially Rodgers' play.

Totally agreed, RS. People are jumping off of bridges right now. My goodness, I had this one as a LOSS way back at the start of the season, when we still had Finley, Grant, etc. etc.

Gotta give credit to Atlanta. Great game, no turnovers, excellent game plan. One fumble was the difference. Hope we get the chance to face them again (unfortunately, it will likely be in their stadium...).

c_mac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You guess incorrectly.

Regarding the "dictate" comment: I think the Packers were doing mostly what they wanted to do right up until the fumble. Keeping the score managable at 3-3 in their stadium and threatening to go up 10-3 from the one yard line at that point in the game most definitely had the Falcon's attention and the crowd silenced. Maybe it wasn't "imposing our will", but it was certainly matching step for step with an elite team.

Then, marching down the field in the closing minutes to score the tying TD was, imo, "imposing will". Unfortunately, the Falcons where able to return the favor.

I will agree that the Falcons seemed just a little better than the Pack for most of the game. But it wasn't really either team consistently able to impose will or dictate the game. It came down to one or two plays that could have gone either way and an excellent final kick for the win for the home team. I saw it as equals, maybe even almost equal "elite teams" battling it out.

Then again, I think the Packers are a Finley and an RB away from being "elite".

Guess I see more positives than you do. That's the game I watched.

A bunch of your points would be relevant had we won. When we needed the D or ST to step up and impose their will, they didn't. Simple as that.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
The answer's somewhere in the gray area between the OP and the "slam dunk yes we will" people.

The answer is: Probably.

It's going to take 10 wins at least. We can't slip up and lose a game we're supposed to win. Detroit almost beat us last time we played them, Chicago's looking pretty damn good right now, and the Giants aren't a cakewalk.

I'd say it's probable that we make the Playoffs, but if we stub our toe along the way somewhere that we shouldn't, it might be tough.

PFanCan

Reaction score
A bunch of your points would be relevant had we won. When we needed the D or ST to step up and impose their will, they didn't. Simple as that.

You originally stated that the Packers "were never in control". I disagreed and, when you asked for examples, I pointed out a couple instances when the Packers exerted plenty of control/will.

Our debate had nothing to do with the final score. It was about the Packers being able to compete with elite teams or not. I say that they can.

And to make matters worse, I disagree with your new statement above regarding the D. I thought the D, though not their best game (poor tackling was a surprise today), stepped up several times at critical points and kept the team within striking distance all game long. Even the last drive barely got within range, despite the excellent start on the 50.

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4 Losses, 12 points.

SF and DET should (and must) be victories. At that point, we'll see where we stand in the NFC North race and especially the NFC Wildcard race.

TB should be 7-4 after BAL game and still have games against NO, ATL, and WAS. Overall, it'll probably be NO/ATL as a wildcard, then TB/NYG/GB fighting for wildcard #2 at 10-6, at least (maybe 11-5).

c_mac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You originally stated that the Packers "were never in control". I disagreed and, when you asked for examples, I pointed out a couple instances when the Packers exerted plenty of control/will.

Our debate had nothing to do with the final score. It was about the Packers being able to compete with elite teams or not. I say that they can.

And to make matters worse, I disagree with your new statement above regarding the D. I thought the D, though not their best game (poor tackling was a surprise today), stepped up several times at critical points and kept the team within striking distance all game long. Even the last drive barely got within range, despite the excellent start on the 50.

You and I define things very differently. I still assert that they were never in control. How are in you in control of a game when you never once have the lead?

I never said that the Packers can't compete with elite teams. Clearly they can and sometimes (Jets) they can win. We didn't play a terrible game by any stretch and that is not my argument. The Falcons were a better team. They were the team that made plays when they needed to in order to win, not us.

I'm very glad you feel so good after a loss. I wish I felt the same. Elite teams would have found a way to win that game. We didn't, plain and simple.

Now if you would, keep carrying on and on, it seems important for you to try and show me up, so by all means. Hell, if the Pack had your spunk and persistence they would have pulled this game out today.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If you want to be technical, we lost not because the Falcons were the better team, but because of the Buluga facemask on the return.

You're right about the matchup. People assume that the better team always wins. I don't think either team proved to be any better than the other. The Falcons are better balanced, but not necessarily better. The difference in this game was one or two plays. But I have to make a correction for you. Blame should go where it belongs. It was Wilhelm with the facemask, not Bulaga.

JCpackers04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really would have helped us if the Eagles could have pulled that one out. ughhh. we need to take care of business against SF and DET a loss to one of them would be extremely costly

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wildcard Race, remaining teams and schedules

Wildcard Race and remaining teams:

Atlanta Falcons (9-2, NFC South leader; LOSS)
@TB, @CAR, @SEA, NO, CAR

Chicago Bears (8-3, NFC North leader, LOSS)
@DET, NE, @MIN, NYJ, GB

Philadelphia Eagles (7-4, NFC East leader; WIN)
HOU, @DAL, @NYG, MIN, DAL

NFC West Leader (5-6, who cares)

New Orleans Saints (8-3, Wildcard #1)
@CIN, STL, @BAL, @ATL, TB

Green Bay Packers (7-4, Wildcard #2A)
SF, @DET, @NE, NYG, CHI

New York Giants (7-4, Wildcard #2B)
WAS, @MIN, PHI, @GB, WAS

Tampa Bay Buccaneers (7-4, Wildcard #2C)
ATL, @WAS, DET, SEA, @NO

That GB and NYG could essentially be a wildcard elimination game. Must take care of next two weeks first, however.

Discuss.

JCpackers04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont think we'll have any trouble with SF at home. but the game @DET scares me for some reason. I cant help but feel like a letdown upset game is coming from them.

At the Patriots i have pegged as a loss, the Patriots are hitting their stride and are also really good at home.

The Giants game is gonna be the equivalent of a playoff game both teams will be fighting for their playoff lives.

and the Bears are pretty good, so itll be tough to beat them, but might be for the division! we'll see as we get closer.

As for the other teams, i see ATL clinching the first seed and NO taking one of the wildcard.

That leaves TB, NYG, PHI, CHI, GB...

man i dont understand the optimism that some of the posters have here of getting in. If we dont win the division we very easily could be bumped from a wildcard spot...

Grave

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Without Rodgers we're blown out today. He carried us. He's far better than Ryan who has the luxury of managing the O with a couple of good RBs and a pretty good O-line. I thought Turner was an intimidating runner today.

Atlanta played far better on STs too. Kept us starting in poor field position. We desperately need someone on the kick coverage team to start creaming people. The game was lost with their final return and a little dinking. The balance of power goes to the Falcons on STs and that was enough today.

Why do the QB sneaks always seem to go over Colledge? And where did Colledge go with his "block"? It looked like he missed the guy right in front of him and that guy caused the fumble.

For quite a while I thought it would be very nice to have some semblance of a run game just so we looked like the Green Bay Packers. But now I fear that without the run, Rodgers is going to get killed.

Nevertheless, I see MM making some adjustments. Hopefully he re-hires Jagozinski. Whatever it takes to jackup the O-line I think he must do now. And then we'll go 12-4.

DTown SBrown

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its not an issue until it is. Either way we need to win the games we are given. We have had every loss this year in our hands and have found ways to lose them. Today is no exception.

Fumble in the endzone (due simply to a continued LACK of a real running game)
non challenge of a 4th down catch. This one miffs me most due to the fact it would cost NOTHING at this point in the game!!!>!>! Its an AUTOMATIC TO if you throw the flag, or its the same result as the call on field.

These two moments are the reason we are still a year away...

Its similar to being able to wrap the entire season of the Bills into the drop by Steve Johnson in OT... they are always just a tiny misstep away from a win. We are always seemingly 1 small NORMALLY non issue misstep away from beating teams we lose to.

I would rather a team blow us up than us beat ourselves with the dumb ****.

Members online

Latest posts