Abbrederis & Jannis are better than Jones & Adams.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This may sound contradictory but I think we have a very solid group of WRs next year but I am also a little worried about the lack of experience and the other questions that have come up this season.

We have Nelson, Cobb, Adams, Montgomery, Janis, Abby and for the heck of it I'm going to throw Jones in there as well because I think he could still be a solid contributor and worth an offer. You know they won't keep more than 6 so one of these guys is gone. Its a nice problem to have. That's the solid group part.

Now for the questions

Nelson- How will he come back from the injury. he has had a long time to recover so I'm betting he will be fine.
Cobb- He had a down year was it an anomaly or a sign of things to come. Hopefully it was just that he needs someone to take some of the pressure off. He and Nelson are the only two that I would consider experienced.
Adams- Talented but took a step back with a sophomore slump. Too much expected too soon or what you see is what you get. Either way I think its too early to give up on him.
Montgomery- Not a lot to go on but showed promise. Personally I like him to be the #3 by some point early next season. I don't think the injury was anything to really worry about was it.
Janis- Does one great game make him an NFL caliber receiver? A lot of people seem to think so. I'm not sure but he has earned a chance to prove it. Add in his ST play and he's pretty much a lock. I do feel a bit better about him then I did going into the season but he still has a ways to go.
Abby- The odd man out if we keep 5 but it may not be fair. I could see him outplaying Adams though and sticking around. Like Janis he still has a ways to go but I fell better about him too.
Jones- The long shot which I think is unfortunate because I would love to have him back. I just don't know if I would want to sacrifice one of the others. Based on 2015 I'd take him over Adams, Janis and Abby but going ahead I just don't know. IMO he loses out because of his age and because the others have more potential and I just don't see him being any more than a #4 WR. I think he could be higher but i don't think he would be. I hated to see him go last time but it will be even harder this time because I know it probably won't be because we can't afford him.

Anyway, that's how I see it. Then there is the inevitable draft pick. If Ted goes high with one my guess would be Abby as the odd man out but I could see Adams going as well simply based on this year's performance. I doubt it but I could see it.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also love Jones. But I do agree it will be tough to hang onto him with our talent there. I just hate to see him leave again. I do think there will be great battles at the WR position, and if he makes it, I will not be unhappy.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

It's not "anti-James Jones" as you put it. It's PRO-future. I've always been a JJ fan, even when he had problems with drops a few years ago. But Jones has clearly lost a step and he was never particularly fast to begin with. Unless you already foresee cutting one of either Adams, Abbrederis or Janis next year, there simply isn't any justification in offering a guy on the back end of his career a new contract. Adams isn't likely to be going anywhere due to the investment of a 2nd round draft pick. Janis isn't likely to go anywhere due to his special teams acumen alone, not to mention the fact that his potential as a WR is beginning to come to fruition. Abbrederis isn't going anywhere because he's... well, he's Abbrederis. I guess that's enough in Green Bay.

Larry my point is, he has been no better or worse than ANY receiver on the team. Nobody could have caught some of those God awful throws AR has thrown this year. I DID NOT say he should have an extension to his contract, I SAID the way some are talking, he played like ***** this year, and that simply isn`t true.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Jones has great hands which is odd because his hands were bad when he came into the league. Jones lacks speed to break away from coverage. He can't get open.

Neither could several others this season. Just sayin.

LarrysCrookedFinger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Larry my point is, he has been no better or worse than ANY receiver on the team. Nobody could have caught some of those God awful throws AR has thrown this year. I DID NOT say he should have an extension to his contract, I SAID the way some are talking, he played like ***** this year, and that simply isn`t true.
My misunderstanding then.

D

Deleted member 6794

I didn't read the article yet, but I have defended Janis many times on Twitter and elsewhere. Yes I remember the deep pass up the right sideline this year to Janis where it looked like he didn't react to the ball well and go get it. How did his ball skills look on the last 101-yard drive he had 2 catches on in do-or-die situations?

I also remember, clearly, at least 4 deep balls thrown to Janis where he was open, past the defensive backs, that Rodgers underthrew him, 2 or 3 of them we wanted DPI calls, and there could have been. He also overthrew him in the end zone on a deep ball Saturday night where the pass came late, and long outta the back of the end zone.

The other thing that pizzes me off is that when Rodgers misses him, it's never a mistake on Rodgers part. And when there seems to be a "mixup" or "miscommunication" between them, it's automatically the fault of Janis.

Case in point the other night was a 3rd down pass at about the AZ 10, where Janis was on the right side and cutting right. But the CB was all over it and coming across sharply... Janis angled it deeper into the end zone deeper. Rodgers didn't see or anticipate this and float it over the smaller CB into the back of the corner end zone. He just threw the regular out, and it was incomplete. And everyone said Janis ran the wrong route! He reacted to what the DB was doing and he adjusted. If Rodgers was on HIS PAGE, it would have been a touchdown much like the first TD pass to Floyd in the corner of the end zone, but this one would have been easier.

Why does Rodgers like to crucify Janis for these? Why doesn't he blame Jordy or Cobb when they have similar "miscoms"? They DO have them. And nobody rips the WR or Rodgers for them. Why is that? Remember the loss to Seattle in the NFC Championship game, where one play could have made the difference in a Super Bowl?

You all remember Rodgers 2 Ints in that game right? The first one was on what should have been a free play, but wasn't because the ref was asleep or had money on Seattle.
Rodgers chucked it into the end zone against Richard Sherman, the best deep cover CB in the NFL. He was trying to get it to Davante. Can anyone point me one play ever in the NFL where Davante has scored on a deep TD?

But that Int (which cost points) is not the one that was from a miscom.
THIS ONE, which is inexcusable, is.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Why wasn't Rodgers mad at Cobb here? Or why wasn't Cobb mad at Rodgers?
This was such a simple play, in FG range, and on 1st down. No pass rush. It was Jordy and Cobb, each 1-on-1 covered and wide open.

My point is this, and I had many readers and Tweeps addressing and agreeing with it yesterday, today:
Cobb, and Jordy, and Jones, have had THOUSANDS of reps with Rodgers, both in years of camps and in thousands of snaps in live games.
AND THEY (Cobb & Jordy) have seen defenses differently and sat down, adjusted routes, and hoped Rodgers would see it the same, ahead of time. Often they do, but many times they don't, and that includes James Jones.

So why is Janis the only one who gets called out and ripped on for this? He has only had a small fraction of the reps with Rodgers. Seems like Matt Flynn in preseason games worked pretty well with Janis.

Rodgers has called out other receivers as well at times but it seems that Janis makes too many mental mistakes in running routes or adjusting to defenses for Rodgers to trust him. The other receivers aren´t as physically gifted as #83 but are on the same page with the quarterback constantly, something which is pretty important for Rodgers.

Crockett&Tubbs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers has called out other receivers as well at times but it seems ....
I don't hear that. I hear that they aren't on the same page sometimes... although I heard no public criticism over this specific, season-ending type Int. When it happens with Janis, we hear about Janis ******** up and Rodgers shakes his head, comments afterwards point at Janis. When it's Cobb & Jordy & Jones, it's just a "mixup".

Caleb Hendricks

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Janis proved that he's an NFL receiver with a high ceiling, instead of a bust self appointed by McCarthy. We all have proved that we know more about certain things than a coach making millions does.

Ok, we all need to come back to earth when it comes to Janis and Abby. Yes, Janis made two huge catches, and Abby had some clutch receptions to keep drives alive. But if we are going to anoint someone based off of a couple of plays, then Jayrone Elliott should have been a full-time starter after his late game heroics against Seattle, and John Crockett should have taken the RB position after his second half against Detroit. I'm not arguing that these guys didn't make some big plays, but lets see them make them more consistently before we get carried away.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok, we all need to come back to earth when it comes to Janis and Abby. Yes, Janis made two huge catches, and Abby had some clutch receptions to keep drives alive. But if we are going to anoint someone based off of a couple of plays, then Jayrone Elliott should have been a full-time starter after his late game heroics against Seattle, and John Crockett should have taken the RB position after his second half against Detroit. I'm not arguing that these guys didn't make some big plays, but lets see them make them more consistently before we get carried away.
In my defense, that was posted right after it happened. And I was drunk.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not arguing that these guys didn't make some big plays, but lets see them make them more consistently before we get carried away.
This was both WR's most extended playing time in the NFL... and they rose to the challenge. Many on here have been clamoring for them just to get the chance to play. Don't think anyone's anointing them to be starters over Jordy & Cobb, but when they were needed they stepped up, hopefully earning AR's confidence and more playing time by producing.

My projected 2016 depth chart would be (and I'm sure MM will disagree): Jordy, Cobb, Monty, Abby, Janis, and Adams. (along with whatever draft picks/UDFA's TT brings in).

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I find it a bit comical that a lot of people always refer to James Jones as "old". Maybe it is because he "plays old"? He is currently 31 and will be 32 when the 2016 season starts. Compare that to Jordy, who will be 31 when the Season starts and the same age Jones was back this fall when many referred to him as "old".

I'm not saying JJ is young for an NFL WR, but the guy proved he still has some good tread on his tires. With the way injuries decimated the WR group this year, I think the smart thing to do is sign JJ to a Vet min or close, brought into camp to compete and if everyone stays healthy and the younger guys beat him out, so be it. But cutting him lose and going into training camp with the same guys who started the 2015 camp because JJ is "old"?

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/08/27/age-of-decline-wr/

Caleb Hendricks

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This was both WR's most extended playing time in the NFL... and they rose to the challenge. Many on here have been clamoring for them just to get the chance to play. Don't think anyone's anointing them to be starters over Jordy & Cobb, but when they were needed they stepped up, hopefully earning AR's confidence and more playing time by producing.

My projected 2016 depth chart would be (and I'm sure MM will disagree): Jordy, Cobb, Monty, Abby, Janis, and Adams. (along with whatever draft picks/UDFA's TT brings in).

Go read the very first message in the thread.

This whole thread is about how these two guys who came in and made a couple plays in one game, are better than someone who was productive for a majority of the season, and someone who did the exact same thing against Dallas last year in the playoffs. Like I said, I'm not arguing that they made some big plays, and that they do have some potential, but to say that they are all of a sudden "better" is misconceived.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I find it a bit comical that a lot of people always refer to James Jones as "old". Maybe it is because he "plays old"? He is currently 31 and will be 32 when the 2016 season starts. Compare that to Jordy, who will be 31 when the Season starts and the same age Jones was back this fall when many referred to him as "old".

I'm not saying JJ is young for an NFL WR, but the guy proved he still has some good tread on his tires. With the way injuries decimated the WR group this year, I think the smart thing to do is sign JJ to a Vet min or close, brought into camp to compete and if everyone stays healthy and the younger guys beat him out, so be it. But cutting him lose and going into training camp with the same guys who started the 2015 camp because JJ is "old"?

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/08/27/age-of-decline-wr/
I can't deny his contribution this year, but I'm disappointed in his effort at times. He seemed to jog through routes, half-assed his way through blocks, and generally when a play didn't involve or result in him getting the ball, he wouldn't show much effort.

He was good in the scramble drill, but being the first or second guy that Rodgers looks to, I have a hard time believing he struggled to get open because the corners were so much better than him.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...I think the smart thing to do is sign JJ to a Vet min or close, ...
If JJ has so much left in the tank why would he accept a vet min or close salary? There are SO MANY teams desperate for a productive veteran that I've got to think one of them would have more to offer JJ than vet min and a chance to be #6 on the depth chart. Maybe #6 with AR throwing is better than any other gig, but he'd have more security on another roster, IMHO.
Teams in desperate need of WR: Cleveland, San Diego, Baltimore, San Fran, Chicago, LA Rams, Washington, Minnesota and maybe even Cincy and Seattle.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If JJ has so much left in the tank why would he accept a vet min or close salary? There are SO MANY teams desperate for a productive veteran that I've got to think one of them would have more to offer JJ than vet min and a chance to be #6 on the depth chart. Maybe #6 with AR throwing is better than any other gig, but he'd have more security on another roster, IMHO.
Teams in desperate need of WR: Cleveland, San Diego, Baltimore, San Fran, Chicago, LA Rams, Washington, Minnesota and maybe even Cincy and Seattle.

Which is why the Packers offer him Vet Min. with no or minimum guaranteed money. If he sees more money and a better opportunity elsewhere, good for JJ. I'm not saying that once Jordy is back and our younger WR's have the off season to improve, JJ is going to beat them all out for a job, but he might just end up being a better option when the season starts. Bring him to camp and if he wins a spot, then we are that much better for keeping him. If he doesn't, then we are no worse off. I merely see JJ as an able WR in the Packer system competing for a job that had him #2 on the depth chart this year.

LarrysCrookedFinger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers has called out other receivers as well at times but it seems that Janis makes too many mental mistakes in running routes or adjusting to defenses for Rodgers to trust him.

It appeared to me Janis made a pretty good adjustment to a CB trying to cut off his route when he broke to the corner of the endzone WIDE open. Looked like Rodgers was the one who didn't adjust on that play because it should have been an easy TD throw.

It's also time for Rodgers to work on his tendency to underthrow fly routes. There are certainly timing issues between Janis and Rodgers and it's not all on Janis.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't hear that. I hear that they aren't on the same page sometimes... although I heard no public criticism over this specific, season-ending type Int. When it happens with Janis, we hear about Janis ******** up and Rodgers shakes his head, comments afterwards point at Janis. When it's Cobb & Jordy & Jones, it's just a "mixup".

Rodgers has pointed fingers on several occasions at other receivers on the field as well after they made a mental mistake, earning criticism from fans for a lack of leadership.

It appeared to me Janis made a pretty good adjustment to a CB trying to cut off his route when he broke to the corner of the endzone WIDE open. Looked like Rodgers was the one who didn't adjust on that play because it should have been an easy TD throw.

It's also time for Rodgers to work on his tendency to underthrow fly routes. There are certainly timing issues between Janis and Rodgers and it's not all on Janis.

Rodgers makes mistakes adjusting during a play as well but there´s no doubt he has a superior knowledge of the playbook compared to nearly all of the other offensive players.

LarrysCrookedFinger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers makes mistakes adjusting during a play as well but there´s no doubt he has a superior knowledge of the playbook compared to nearly all of the other offensive players.

I'm not saying he doesn't. However, when Janis or anyone else is streaking down the sideline with 2 steps on his man and the ball is underthrown, I'm not sure how you can pin that on the WR.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm not saying he doesn't. However, when Janis or anyone else is streaking down the sideline with 2 steps on his man and the ball is underthrown, I'm not sure how you can pin that on the WR.

We've gotten used to Rodgers accurately hitting a receiver 40+ yards down the field over his career but these throws areb't easy to make. It's obvious to me Janis has troubles adjusting to a not perfectly thrown ball.

Crockett&Tubbs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Remember the pass by Russell Wilson in overtime to beat the Packers? That was a great pass at a huge moment.

Remember Rodgers missing Jordy Nelson in that same game for a touchdown on a simple out to the left? We had to kick a FG instead.
Remember Rodgers missing Greg Jennings in overtime in the last playoff game at Arizona where we DID get the ball first? Jennings also got open deep, as the Seahawks receiver did, but Rodgers overthrew him. Two plays later, we lost, when Rodgers fumbled.

Also, as pointed out by the Press-Gazette and mentioned here somewhere, in this loss to the Cardinals, there were key plays where Rodgers forced the ball to a guy who wasn't open, ignoring wide open Janis and/or Abbrederis on the failed plays.

My point is this: Rodgers is, perhaps, the best QB in the NFL. But he's not been playoff-clutch, and in close playoff games like the 2 losses to Arizona, to Seattle, those misses end seasons.

D

Deleted member 6794

My point is this: Rodgers is, perhaps, the best QB in the NFL. But he's not been playoff-clutch, and in close playoff games like the 2 losses to Arizona, to Seattle, those misses end seasons.

There's no denying Rodgers hasn't played on an elite level and missed some throws during some of the playoffs losses since 2011 the drives to tie the games vs. the Seahawks last season and the Cardinals on Sunday were clutch performances.

Unfortunately he didn't get another chance to win any of these games in OT.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts