Abbrederis & Jannis are better than Jones & Adams.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's the zone that somehow left out one of football's finest receivers. I blame Campen for AR's bad throws. :(

Blame the guy who blew his responsibilities then...

I would bet my life that no defense Capers draws up, that has a receiver that doesn't have a defender within 20 yards. And if that is how he drew it up, then he should definitely be fired.

DMANDTM

Cheesehead
Reaction score
jones should receive more credit than he is getting. the guy made great catches this season considering he isnt our number one receiver.

Jones earned his paycheck this year - league minimum. He got open a few times on Saturday, but either wasn't seen or was over/under thrown. He would have been much more effective this year playing with a real number one receiver in the lineup, like Jordy. I'd bring him to camp and let him try to earn a spot on next season's roster.

Last edited:

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WTF are you talking about? Did you watch the play? Do you know what boxing out means? He clearly put his back to Peterson and jumped in front. Thus giving Peterson a worse shot at getting the ball. AKA Boxing out.

Peterson was on the spot 3 second before Janis got there. Don't get wrong Janis jumped in front nicely. But anyone that played 500 on the playground knows that is not the position you want to be in as a defender. Peterson in my estimation had about 2 full seconds to do anything he wanted. He was standing there waiting for the ball.

I guarantee you that if you ask Peterson he would say there is much more he could have done, and completely misplayed the ball.
I meant Janis got there as the ball did. Peterson could have gotten better position, but in real time, he probably wasn't able to react quickly enough to get in front of him The most realistic thing he could have done at that point would have been to move up and make contact with Janis while going for the ball, instead of competing for the jump ball with inferior position. But like I said, all of this happened very quickly while the ball was in the air. It wasn't like the Detroit screw up.

Reaction score
I meant Janis got there as the ball did. Peterson could have gotten better position, but in real time, he probably wasn't able to react quickly enough to get in front of him The most realistic thing he could have done at that point would have been to move up and make contact with Janis while going for the ball, instead of competing for the jump ball with inferior position. But like I said, all of this happened very quickly while the ball was in the air. It wasn't like the Detroit screw up.
They Should've called Calvin Johnson ;)

LarrysCrookedFinger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I`m getting really tired of this Anti- James Jones crap. He was no worse than any other Wr this year, and I defy anybody to say any other receivers could have caught those over/under thrown passes Rodgers threw this season.

It's not "anti-James Jones" as you put it. It's PRO-future. I've always been a JJ fan, even when he had problems with drops a few years ago. But Jones has clearly lost a step and he was never particularly fast to begin with. Unless you already foresee cutting one of either Adams, Abbrederis or Janis next year, there simply isn't any justification in offering a guy on the back end of his career a new contract. Adams isn't likely to be going anywhere due to the investment of a 2nd round draft pick. Janis isn't likely to go anywhere due to his special teams acumen alone, not to mention the fact that his potential as a WR is beginning to come to fruition. Abbrederis isn't going anywhere because he's... well, he's Abbrederis. I guess that's enough in Green Bay.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is that the same zone that made shields drop the game winning interception? Or the other two he had in his hands earlier in the game? Or made Rodgers throw a ball 3 feet short on fourth down?

If so Capers definitely needs to go.

Come on, that pass was no more than 2 feet short.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to see Jones back next year. Great 3rd or 4th receiver. And we didn't lose because of Capers. Blown coverage and missed sack. 8 other plays during the game that could have happened to make OT a non issue. But mostly our defense played really well against a top Offense. They are explosive (Arizona).

I agree but it is a crowded position. We have the same six who were going to be our WRs last season after we drafted Montgomery and only Adams really took a step back but I can't see us giving up on him. Jones is one of my favorite Packers and I would like to see him back as well but I just don't see TT giving up on any of the other 6.

Jones earned his paycheck this year - league minimum. He got open a few times on Saturday, but either wasn't seen or was over/under thrown. He would have been much more effective this year playing with a real number one receiver in the lineup, like Jordy. I'd bring him to camp and let him try to earn a spot on next season's roster.

Sure, you offer him a minimum deal again with no guaranteed money and see if he can beat someone out. If not he doesn't make the final cut. No harm in that. Will he take it? That depends. I don't think he jumps at it that's for sure. He will want to see if someone offers him more and if by the time TC starts if he doesn't have any other offers maybe he comes back. I don't know if anyone will. I think he is worth it but I've always been a fan of his. Like I and so many others have said though. It will be a very tough group to crack.

Sky King

Reaction score
Father Time being undefeated predicts the inevitable for James Jones. The slow get slower. Even the fast guys will eventually experience that phenomenon. If guile and experience are no longer capable of carrying the day for Jones (to compensate for a normal loss of speed and explosiveness) then the end of the line will have finally been reached. Sadly, I think that day may be getting quite near for this favorite player. It's not a sentimental business.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones will be allowed to walk and find a job that he see's fit under his terms. I'm sure Thompson will tell him no matter where he ends up or for how long, to stay in shape because his phone could ring again if he's cut and available. But I do not see GB offering him before have had a draft and some training camp if he's still available.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones will be allowed to walk and find a job that he see's fit under his terms. I'm sure Thompson will tell him no matter where he ends up or for how long, to stay in shape because his phone could ring again if he's cut and available. But I do not see GB offering him before have had a draft and some training camp if he's still available.

I agree with this, it sucks because I really like hoodie but its the nature of the beast... You cant really imagine the Packers keeping 7 wide receivers on the roster can you? That would leave you 44 players to fill the other 23 positions including punter, long snapper, and kicker. Or 41 to fill 20 positions with. Especially since you need like 4 corners minimum. You are really killing depth everywhere.

Nelson
JJ
Ty
Adams
Janis
Abby
Cobb

I think the younger guys are safer than JJ personally.

Reaction score
I agree with this, it sucks because I really like hoodie but its the nature of the beast... You cant really imagine the Packers keeping 7 wide receivers on the roster can you? That would leave you 44 players to fill the other 23 positions including punter, long snapper, and kicker. Or 41 to fill 20 positions with. Especially since you need like 4 corners minimum. You are really killing depth everywhere.

Nelson
JJ
Ty
Adams
Janis
Abby
Cobb

I think the younger guys are safer than JJ personally.
Although I agree somewhat with your age assertion. James Jones just put up 8TDs and 890 yards and a career high 17.8 yards per catch. Jones was the #1 scoring receiver in the NFL 3 years ago with 14 TDs. Yes, that's more than Gronk, Julio, Dez, Jordy, etc... I promise you the only reason James left last time is he had an off year and was asking too much $$. He Became Oaklands #1 producer at receiver last year. Then this year he puts up 8TDs, 890 yards and nearly 18YPC (that's a career high btw and a premo stat on any team in this league).
He's clearly good enough to be top 4-5 and proven it. I like having James because he's consistent. We need consistency this year. It all comes down to his price tag IMO and if he leaves it's about the $
PS. Some of the athletic plays he made this year couldn't be done by many 25 year olds.

Last edited:

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Although I agree somewhat with your age assertion. James Jones just put up 8TDs and 890 yards and a career high 17.8 yards per catch. Jones was the #1 scoring receiver in the NFL 3 years ago with 14 TDs. Yes, that's more than Gronk, Julio, Dez, Jordy, etc... I promise you the only reason James left last time is he had an off year and was asking too much $$. He Became Oaklands #1 producer at receiver last year. Then this year he puts up 8TDs, 890 yards and nearly 18YPC (that's a career high btw and a premo stat on any team in this league).
He's clearly good enough to be top 4-5 and proven it. I like having James because he's consistent. We need consistency this year. It all comes down to his price tag IMO and if he leaves it's about the $
PS. Some of the athletic plays he made this year couldn't be done by many 25 year olds.

I can't say I disagree... I just can't make a good argument to get rid of anyone else. They won't keep 7. Who is your vote with?

Crockett&Tubbs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Article today on Press Gazette Packers News indicated that Janis and Abbrederis actually had even better games than their stats show. It outlined in great specificity at least a dozen plays after studying game tape where both of them were wide open and Rodgers saw them and decided to throw elsewhere. Something stinks here and I'm getting the feeling a big part of it might have more to do with Rodgers than Janis and Abbrederis.
I didn't read the article yet, but I have defended Janis many times on Twitter and elsewhere. Yes I remember the deep pass up the right sideline this year to Janis where it looked like he didn't react to the ball well and go get it. How did his ball skills look on the last 101-yard drive he had 2 catches on in do-or-die situations?

I also remember, clearly, at least 4 deep balls thrown to Janis where he was open, past the defensive backs, that Rodgers underthrew him, 2 or 3 of them we wanted DPI calls, and there could have been. He also overthrew him in the end zone on a deep ball Saturday night where the pass came late, and long outta the back of the end zone.

The other thing that pizzes me off is that when Rodgers misses him, it's never a mistake on Rodgers part. And when there seems to be a "mixup" or "miscommunication" between them, it's automatically the fault of Janis.

Case in point the other night was a 3rd down pass at about the AZ 10, where Janis was on the right side and cutting right. But the CB was all over it and coming across sharply... Janis angled it deeper into the end zone deeper. Rodgers didn't see or anticipate this and float it over the smaller CB into the back of the corner end zone. He just threw the regular out, and it was incomplete. And everyone said Janis ran the wrong route! He reacted to what the DB was doing and he adjusted. If Rodgers was on HIS PAGE, it would have been a touchdown much like the first TD pass to Floyd in the corner of the end zone, but this one would have been easier.

Why does Rodgers like to crucify Janis for these? Why doesn't he blame Jordy or Cobb when they have similar "miscoms"? They DO have them. And nobody rips the WR or Rodgers for them. Why is that? Remember the loss to Seattle in the NFC Championship game, where one play could have made the difference in a Super Bowl?

You all remember Rodgers 2 Ints in that game right? The first one was on what should have been a free play, but wasn't because the ref was asleep or had money on Seattle.
Rodgers chucked it into the end zone against Richard Sherman, the best deep cover CB in the NFL. He was trying to get it to Davante. Can anyone point me one play ever in the NFL where Davante has scored on a deep TD?

But that Int (which cost points) is not the one that was from a miscom.
THIS ONE, which is inexcusable, is.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Why wasn't Rodgers mad at Cobb here? Or why wasn't Cobb mad at Rodgers?
This was such a simple play, in FG range, and on 1st down. No pass rush. It was Jordy and Cobb, each 1-on-1 covered and wide open.

My point is this, and I had many readers and Tweeps addressing and agreeing with it yesterday, today:
Cobb, and Jordy, and Jones, have had THOUSANDS of reps with Rodgers, both in years of camps and in thousands of snaps in live games.
AND THEY (Cobb & Jordy) have seen defenses differently and sat down, adjusted routes, and hoped Rodgers would see it the same, ahead of time. Often they do, but many times they don't, and that includes James Jones.

So why is Janis the only one who gets called out and ripped on for this? He has only had a small fraction of the reps with Rodgers. Seems like Matt Flynn in preseason games worked pretty well with Janis.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers chucked it into the end zone against Richard Sherman, the best deep cover CB in the NFL. He was trying to get it to Davante. Can anyone point me one play ever in the NFL where Davante has scored on a deep TD?

At 3:30 he puts a HELL of a move on the corner and it is a 50 yard gain on a 25 yard pass... At 5:02 he goes 46 yards for touchdown on 20 yard pass. That is the game before the one you are questioning.

If you are doubting his high point skills...Against Randall. But tell me Randall wasn't trying. There is probably others, just didn't take the time to look.

http://blacksportsonline.com/home/2...ous-1-handed-catch-over-cb-at-practice-video/

Granted it is practice... But Adams has skills.

I will give you that Adams has under-achieved to this point. But come on he is in his second year and plagued with injuries. Give the dude a break seriously.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jz3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I`m getting really tired of this Anti- James Jones crap. He was no worse than any other Wr this year, and I defy anybody to say any other receivers could have caught those over/under thrown passes Rodgers threw this season.

Jones has great hands which is odd because his hands were bad when he came into the league. Jones lacks speed to break away from coverage. He can't get open.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At 3:30 he puts a HELL of a move on the corner and it is a 50 yard gain on a 25 yard pass... At 5:02 he goes 46 yards for touchdown on 20 yard pass. That is the game before the one you are questioning.

If you are doubting his high point skills...Against Randall. But tell me Randall wasn't trying. There is probably others, just didn't take the time to look.

http://blacksportsonline.com/home/2...ous-1-handed-catch-over-cb-at-practice-video/

I will give you that Adams has under-achieved to this point. But come on he is in his second year and plagued with injuries. Give the dude a break seriously.

The guy in that video is not the one we saw on the field this year. Hopefully it's just injuries, but I don't understand why they would keep him in if his play suffered that much.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The guy in that video is not the one we saw on the field this year. Hopefully it's just injuries, but I don't understand why they would keep him in if his play suffered that much.

No kidding, I agree... Seen some right before he got hurt. AGAIN.

But if people only check out 1 think look at that move he puts on the Pats corner at 3:30. I didn't see that at all this year which gives me hope that the injury never let him play to potential.

LarrysCrookedFinger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Case in point the other night was a 3rd down pass at about the AZ 10, where Janis was on the right side and cutting right. But the CB was all over it and coming across sharply... Janis angled it deeper into the end zone deeper. Rodgers didn't see or anticipate this and float it over the smaller CB into the back of the corner end zone. He just threw the regular out, and it was incomplete. And everyone said Janis ran the wrong route! He reacted to what the DB was doing and he adjusted. If Rodgers was on HIS PAGE, it would have been a touchdown much like the first TD pass to Floyd in the corner of the end zone, but this one would have been easier.

Why does Rodgers like to crucify Janis for these?

To be fair to AR, I really don't think he crucified Janis on that play. When I looked at it on replay, it seemed like he wanted to point the finger at him, but the look on his face seemed to have a bit of mea culpa about it as well. So I think it probably dawned on him that Janis likely made the better decision on that play even though he hated to admit it to himself. That's my speculation based on body language only. So take it FWIW.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be fair to AR, I really don't think he crucified Janis on that play. When I looked at it on replay, it seemed like he wanted to point the finger at him, but the look on his face seemed to have a bit of mea culpa about it as well. So I think he probably dawned on him that Janis probably made the better decision on that play even though he hated to admit it to himself. That's my speculation based on body language only. So take it FWIW.

And I also think in most situations, for right or wrong, you are going to take the reigning MVP's word for it. Who has been in the system longer. He has earned that.

Not saying he threw the ball correctly on that play given the coverage. BUT overall I think Aaron has a pretty decent idea of how the offense should be run.

LarrysCrookedFinger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And I also think in most situations, for right or wrong, you are going to take the reigning MVP's word for it. Who has been in the system longer. He has earned that.

Not saying he threw the ball correctly on that play given the coverage. BUT overall I think Aaron has a pretty decent idea of how the offense should be run.
Of course he does. But he isn't perfect. He's just really, really close to it.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No kidding, I agree... Seen some right before he got hurt. AGAIN.

But if people only check out 1 think look at that move he puts on the Pats corner at 3:30. I didn't see that at all this year which gives me hope that the injury never let him play to potential.
I think Adams is faster than we realize while healthy...He clocked a 4.50 flat in one of his runs at the combine, which is plenty given how quick his first step can be.

But I also think Janis is quicker and more capable of separation than we realize in plays other than just straight line sprinting-his 20 yard shuttle time was 4th among WRs, and 3 cone drill run was also exceptional. Blows Nelson out of the water in both.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Adams is faster than we realize while healthy...He clocked a 4.50 flat in one of his runs at the combine, which is plenty given how quick his first step can be.

But I also think Janis is quicker and more capable of separation than we realize in plays other than just straight line sprinting-his 20 yard shuttle time was 4th among WRs, and 3 cone drill run was also exceptional. Blows Nelson out of the water in both.

I can definitely give you that... My honest opinion which may be hated for next year is.

Nelson, Cobb, Adams, Ty, and Janis... If we are keeping 5. I think Janis is too talented to just let go of.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can definitely give you that... My honest opinion which may be hated for next year is.

Nelson, Cobb, Adams, Ty, and Janis... If we are keeping 5. I think Janis is too talented to just let go of.
Maybe Montgomery and Cobb can just be the official backup RBs and make some room for more WR depth.

Members online

Latest posts