Aaron Rodgers MVP

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First, tell me if Stafford and Burrow are thought of as one of the best.
Put Rodgers on either of their teams, tell me, are they better?

THIS TEAM, the PACKERS, they aren't better with a lesser QB. Some disagree apparently. If you think THIS team is better with a QB not at an MVP level, then by all means tell us why

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Given those narrow parameters, I can't say why, any more than anyone can say why not. If you're looking for proof, I'll go with Buggy's fade-out, as there is no way.

My position is just the playoff record since 2010 and the performance of teams without an MVP QB.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Given those narrow parameters, I can't say why, any more than anyone can say why not. If you're looking for proof, I'll go with Buggy's fade-out, as there is no way.

My position is just the playoff record since 2010 and the performance of teams without an MVP QB.
given the parameters I said a QB playing at an MVP level, i'd say the playoff recored is pretty good considering every QB considered for an MVP was likely one of 2 as the last standing in the league more often than not.

He said, his play means nothing to the organization. I disagreed. I think his level of play has a huge impact. This team isn't better with a lesser QB

OP
OP
S

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First, tell me if Stafford and Burrow are thought of as one of the best.
Not sure what you are getting at but Stafford and Burrow were both, at one time on many people's list of possible MVP candidates. As the season wore on they had some struggles but I would consider both to be MVP caliber players. By that I mean I do believe either could win the league MVP.

And yes, having an MVP caliber QB makes your team better.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well it is MVP of the season, not MVP of the playoffs. I think he certainly deserves it for his play this regular season.

Does the award mean much to the Packers? Sure. There are some bragging rights there.

I can't say I'm too interested in it, though. Without the Lombardi there is a joy damper on these kind of things.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

you think we'd be better with a QB not thought of as one of the best in the league?
My point is Mondio, the accolades are for him, We get nothing to us. If it got us some sort of monetory benefit or a bye in the playoffs I`d feel differently but no I don`t.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If it were a 16 game season I would say Aaron would take home the MVP trophy but I don't know if its as big of a blowout as most Packer fans want to believe. Brady had another comeback win today and has 1000 more yards and and 5 more TDs. Rodgers has a higher rating and 8 fewer interceptions. What if Rodgers sits next week and brady comes out and 25/30 with 400 yards and 4 TDs. Would it be enough to overtake him? What if Kupp goes 12/200/3 or Taylor goes 200/3. The way it is looking both of them are going to win their positions triple crowns. Is it possible they could wind up taking the trophy away from Aaron? Could sitting hurt Aarons chances?

From a purely MVP position, that being the most valuable player to his team, (a definition I'm not sure is appropriate for the LEAGUE MVP but that's another story) I think Rodgers is more valuable to the Packers than the other three are to their respective teams and he certainly has the stats to back it up for those voters who put as much, if not more stock in stats than MVPness so I think it would take phenomenal games from the other three to pull ahead but it could happen.

Lastly there is the sitting factor that may not sit well with some of the voters. They may hold it against Rodgers if he doesn't start.
Good observations. Not sure who or why yet. The postseason should have nothing to do with it.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't know how one can objectively judge over-ratedness but I think one of the reasons for AR being #1 is (like the team each season) expectation. We knew that Favre was going win games he shouldn't and lose games he shouldn't. We expect AR to win through superior talent, so when he doesn't, it seems like he's over-rated. Just a thought.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even 6 int playoff?
I think he means Brett goes down swinging and he keeps coming back for more. We do not always see the grit in Aaron. Usually just a sad or stern look. Even Brady is more demonstrative. But style really means nothing. Getting the job done one way or another is what matters.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brady got the job done. Wasn't always spectacular BUT he won games. Yes he was good, in fact very good, but sometimes he became a game manager & that isn't always a bad thing.
But he played most of his career for arguably maybe the greatest coach in NFL history.

OP
OP
S

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But he played most of his career for arguably maybe the greatest coach in NFL history.
I don't think Brady wins 6 rings with another coach but I don't think Belichick wins 6 without Brady either. It takes a perfect storm to win the SB and I think Brady and Belichick just gelled.

Despite last year I also say Belichick would have been more successful without Brady than Brady would have been without Belichick. Brady was a great QB but winning a SB take a team effort and I think Belichick is responsible for building those teams.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he means Brett goes down swinging and he keeps coming back for more. We do not always see the grit in Aaron. Usually just a sad or stern look. Even Brady is more demonstrative. But style really means nothing. Getting the job done one way or another is what matters.
Sort of yeah. When Favre lost a lead or made a bad play he shook it off, fired up his teammates and went back to work. When the same happens to Rodgers he looks dejected and scared and goes into his shell. That, or he yells at the defense to "Get the F___ing ball back!" and then does nothing with it when they do, twice.

Other than that, Favre's mentality when it was crunch time is he would look at a play and say to himself, "I think there's a good chance of scoring on this throw." and he took the chance. Rodgers' mentality is, "I think there's a chance of an INT if I try this throw, so I think I'll just take the sack." Gotta protect that passer rating!

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Brady wins 6 rings with another coach but I don't think Belichick wins 6 without Brady either. It takes a perfect storm to win the SB and I think Brady and Belichick just gelled.

Despite last year I also say Belichick would have been more successful without Brady than Brady would have been without Belichick. Brady was a great QB but winning a SB take a team effort and I think Belichick is responsible for building those teams.
Brady's main job was to not **** it up.

Staff online

Latest posts