Aaron Rodgers MVP

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If it were a 16 game season I would say Aaron would take home the MVP trophy but I don't know if its as big of a blowout as most Packer fans want to believe. Brady had another comeback win today and has 1000 more yards and and 5 more TDs. Rodgers has a higher rating and 8 fewer interceptions. What if Rodgers sits next week and brady comes out and 25/30 with 400 yards and 4 TDs. Would it be enough to overtake him? What if Kupp goes 12/200/3 or Taylor goes 200/3. The way it is looking both of them are going to win their positions triple crowns. Is it possible they could wind up taking the trophy away from Aaron? Could sitting hurt Aarons chances?

From a purely MVP position, that being the most valuable player to his team, (a definition I'm not sure is appropriate for the LEAGUE MVP but that's another story) I think Rodgers is more valuable to the Packers than the other three are to their respective teams and he certainly has the stats to back it up for those voters who put as much, if not more stock in stats than MVPness so I think it would take phenomenal games from the other three to pull ahead but it could happen.

Lastly there is the sitting factor that may not sit well with some of the voters. They may hold it against Rodgers if he doesn't start.

Reaction score
If it were a 16 game season I would say Aaron would take home the MVP trophy but I don't know if its as big of a blowout as most Packer fans want to believe. Brady had another comeback win today and has 1000 more yards and and 5 more TDs. Rodgers has a higher rating and 8 fewer interceptions. What if Rodgers sits next week and brady comes out and 25/30 with 400 yards and 4 TDs. Would it be enough to overtake him? What if Kupp goes 12/200/3 or Taylor goes 200/3. The way it is looking both of them are going to win their positions triple crowns. Is it possible they could wind up taking the trophy away from Aaron? Could sitting hurt Aarons chances?

From a purely MVP position, that being the most valuable player to his team, (a definition I'm not sure is appropriate for the LEAGUE MVP but that's another story) I think Rodgers is more valuable to the Packers than the other three are to their respective teams and he certainly has the stats to back it up for those voters who put as much, if not more stock in stats than MVPness so I think it would take phenomenal games from the other three to pull ahead but it could happen.

Lastly there is the sitting factor that may not sit well with some of the voters. They may hold it against Rodgers if he doesn't start.
I’d rather have a SuperBowl. I’ll trade the regular season MVP for SuperBowl MVP

OP
OP
S

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anybody who holds something against an injured player sitting a meaningless game should not be voting. IMO
I don't disagree but do you think they will tell you they are holding it against them?

I know in baseball I've heard of players maybe skipping the last game if it close (I know its for pure statistics and not subjective like an MVP) so they don't go 0-4 and maybe lose out.

It is another reason why I think we Might see Rodgers for a quarter. Come in and go 10/12 with 2 TDs and hit the bench. Build his stats, keep his routine and hopefully build a lead for the
backups.

Reaction score
I don't disagree but do you think they will tell you they are holding it against them?

I know in baseball I've heard of players maybe skipping the last game if it close (I know its for pure statistics and not subjective like an MVP) so they don't go 0-4 and maybe lose out.

It is another reason why I think we Might see Rodgers for a quarter. Come in and go 10/12 with 2 TDs and hit the bench. Build his stats, keep his routine and hopefully build a lead for the
backups.
In seriousness. There are ways to mitigate QB hits. Let Rodgers play first half (maybe 3 quarters max) depending on the score.
-Use lots of 12 Personnel
-Use a higher mix of Run vs. Pass.
-Use a higher % of quick throws.

I’d have the B team in by 4th quarter or before.

OP
OP
S

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In seriousness. There are ways to mitigate QB hits. Let Rodgers play first half (maybe 3 quarters max) depending on the score.
-Use lots of 12 Personnel
-Use a higher mix of Run vs. Pass.
-Use a higher % of quick throws.

I’d have the B team in by 4th quarter or before.
I'd start them but they wouldn't make it past the first half.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well for what it's worth Rodgers is pretty much the runaway favorite in betting odds at the moment.

1. Aaron Rodgers -400
2. Tom Brady +550
3. Joe Burrow +1200
4. Jonathan Taylor +1400
5. Cooper Kupp +3000
(BetMGM)

1. Aaron Rodgers -400
2. Tom Brady +500
3. Joe Burrow +1000
4. Jonathan Taylor +1600
5. Cooper Kupp +2000
(DraftKings)

Haven't bothered to check, but I suspect most other books are going to be giving similar odds.
Even if Rodgers only plays half the game and Brady plays the whole thing (and has a big performance) it's hard to see him overtaking AR for the top spot. I suspect the fact that Rodgers has played one less game probably helps his case too - not only statistically (brings their per-game numbers closer) but also in that everyone got a chance to see just how unimpressive we looked without Rodgers...

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To me it's kind of simple. Most times a QB is going to get it unless there is a season for the ages by someone else. Jonathon Taylor is a nice season, but it's not 2000yds + nice. So no for me.

Brady? great QB. if he was replaced with an average QB, the Bucs are still winning a lot of games. Start taking away his Oline, RB, a receiver or 2 and that defense? I suspect they aren't sitting as well as they are.

Rodgers? They're still winning with many pieces missing. and if you took Rodgers off and replaced with an average QB? I suspect we'd be losing a lot more than we have. Not that I think we don't have anything, but he tilts the field more than anybody right now in our favor. Even without gaudy stats everywhere, but let's be real, they still are, he makes plays every game because of how he sees and processes a play and delivers the ball that win it for us. They might not be obvious, but their impact is real.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The QB is the MVP because the position is by far the most important.

There should be 2 awards. 1 for MVP and one for MVP-NQ (nonQuarterback)

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To me it's kind of simple. Most times a QB is going to get it unless there is a season for the ages by someone else. Jonathon Taylor is a nice season, but it's not 2000yds + nice. So no for me.
That's the thing too. I think Taylor is a great player, he's having a great season, but is he better than Derrick Henry was last season? And Henry didn't even get a sniff at MVP.

Edit:

Derrick Henry 2020 season: 378 rush attempts, 2027 yards, 17 rush TD, 126.7 rush yards/game, 114 rec yards, 0 rec TD = 0 MVP votes
Jonathan Taylor 2021 season: 317 rush attemps, 1734 yards, 18 rush TD, 108.4 rush yards/game, 342 rec yards, 2 rec TD = ???

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Why would age or time with the team matter at all?

The question is value, it's not graded on a curve.
Age.. What qb has his numbers (ever) at his age

Only 2nd year with team

What qb only 2nd year with team throws his numbers

Look...I dont think he should win..im predicting WHY

Arod2gjdd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Age.. What qb has his numbers (ever) at his age

Only 2nd year with team

What qb only 2nd year with team throws his numbers

Look...I dont think he should win..im predicting WHY
But you don't get bonus points for being old is all I am saying. It should be completely objective; it should not be a factor whatsoever. Unfortunately, as we heard yesterday, subjectivity has entered the equation.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Has the MVP voting taken place. I believe it’s supposed to be based on the regular season only but if the votes haven’t been cast, hard to believe the egg Rodgers laid yesterday wouldn’t have some impact

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think OPoY is the non-QB award. That will be Kupp or Taylor. MVP will be AR12 or TB12.
The OPoY to the MVP is the Golden Globes to the Oscars.
Everyone pays attention to it for like three minutes until the bigger award comes along and outshines it.

Frankly or to me IMO the Walter Payton MOTY award is the most important one and should be held in higher regard than MVP.

Phil Young

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sometimes a great player isn't the best player a team needs.
England football team Italy 1990 lost our best player to injury & the team as a whole was better.

OP
OP
S

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The voting is in. If he wins, everyone's going to shake their head and roll their eyes.
why? I'm sure there are a lot of people who think he should win. Why would they shake their heads and role their eyes?

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The QB is the MVP because the position is by far the most important.

There should be 2 awards. 1 for MVP and one for MVP-NQ (nonQuarterback)
The should just make QBs ineligible for OPOY. There's also DPOY. But they should personalize them to make them more special. Drop the stupid sponsors and give them names like the NHL does.

OPOY could be the Barry Sanders Award.

DPOY could be the Jack Lambert Trophy.

How about these (I'll give Packer/non-Packer possible names):

Bart Starr/Gale Sayers Trophy - Given to the player judged to have exhibited the best sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct combined with a high standard of playing ability.

Jerry Kramer/Joe Jacoby Award - Given to the OL judge by peers to have been the best at his position.

Johnny "Blood" McNally/Larry Centers Trophy - for the RB who excels the most in the receiving game.

Jim Taylor/Earl Campbell Trophy - best overall RB.

Reggie White/Lawrence Taylor Award - defensive player who is most disruptive in the offensive backfield.

Willie Wood/Darrell Green Cup - most disruptive defensive player in the passing game.

Gilbert Brown/Vince Wilfork Award - best defender against the run

Paul Coffman/Tony Gonzalez Trophy - best overall TE

Don Hutson/Jerry Rice Trophy - Best WR

Desmond Howard/Morten Anderson Cup - best special teams player

The regular season MVP could be changed to the Aaron Rodgers/Peyton Manning Trophy and the post-season MVP could be well... the Tom Brady Award. Who else could it be?

Members online

Latest posts