Aaron Rodgers Fumbling Problems

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
He seems to have fumbled more as the season went on. Granted, most quarterbacks fumble often enough, but it would still be nice for him not to fumble. I think the problem is a lot of them time he is running around, trying to buy time for the WR's to get open, and as he does he leaves himself more at risk to get the ball knocked out of his hands.

The guy had four fumbles all year, lost 3. One was on a poor center-QB exchange, the big fumble was on the QB "sneak". The facts are that Rodgers had a stinger affecting his right hand, so he held the ball on the sneak in the left hand, and instead of looking for a crease created by the O-line, he decided to dive over the D-line, holding the ball in the air with a weaker hand. I don't think you have much of a case for worrying about fumbling problems. So you are left with one fumble lost due to scrambling? Look at these numbers for the 2010 season.
Vick-11 fumbles
Eli M- 7 fumbles
Cutler-10 fumbles
Brees-9 fumbles
Sanchez-9 fumbles
Rivers-7 fumbles

So whats your point?

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That last guy we had averaged ELEVEN fumbles every season he was here, losing 7-8 of them. And that's not to mention his penchant for the INT.

All in all, that guy averaged 25 turnovers every year. Rodgers has averaged just 13.

This is a non-issue and I think this thread has run its course.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a non-issue and I think this thread has run its course.
How many career playoff games as Rodgers played in?
How many times has he fumbled in those 2 games?

I guarantee this is not a non-issue until he goes another 2 playoff games without putting it on the ground 1 or 2 times in the game.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
How many career playoff games as Rodgers played in?
How many times has he fumbled in those 2 games?

I guarantee this is not a non-issue until he goes another 2 playoff games without putting it on the ground 1 or 2 times in the game.

Once again... NON-ISSUE.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think there is some issue, but the majority of QBs have that problem. In fact, Clausen, Facre, Garrard, Palmer, Rivers, Roethlisberger, Sanchez, Orton, Young, all fumbled more than Rodgers this season.

It's more of a perception thing, because we follow the Packers much more than any other team.

QBs fumbling is a protection issue. When a QB is hit from behind, when he's looking downfield, he's bound to fumble the ball. In fact, earlier this year Rodgers started looking at the rush, and playing really poorly. The moment the QB starts worrying about the rush, he's done. He's David Carr.

In recent memory, Rodgers had a tendency to hold onto the ball too long. But he now has one of the best pocket awareness in the game, and his mobility is off charts. The fumbles come with the territory, as long as the protection breaks down and rushers are able to hit him from behind.

PackersAllDay89

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The reason from what I can see is that every time the pass rush gets there he doesn't protect the ball and keeps it in his throwing hand trying to dodge tackles and dump it off/make the pass.

Has anyone else seen this?

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The reason from what I can see is that every time the pass rush gets there he doesn't protect the ball and keeps it in his throwing hand trying to dodge tackles and dump it off/make the pass.

Has anyone else seen this?

I appreciate your opinion but I appreciate facts more than opinion. The fact is that of the 2 of the 4 fumbles Aaron had this year had nothing to do with your observations. One was a center-QB snap (don't know who to blame that one on). One was on a QB sneak. The other two I don't remember.His passer rating against bliztes is first rate. It seems like some fans are just looking for anything to to diminish Rodgers as a complete QB.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I appreciate your opinion but I appreciate facts more than opinion. The fact is that of the 2 of the 4 fumbles Aaron had this year had nothing to do with your observations. One was a center-QB snap (don't know who to blame that one on). One was on a QB sneak. The other two I don't remember.His passer rating against bliztes is first rate. It seems like some fans are just looking for anything to to diminish Rodgers as a complete QB.
One he was hit by an Eagles defender as he tried to scramble out of the rush, hit from behind.

The other I also don't remember.

gbpack12_2_89

Bleeding Green and Gold
Reaction score
One he was hit by an Eagles defender as he tried to scramble out of the rush, hit from behind.

The other I also don't remember.

Wasnt there also another fumble in the Eagles game where he went to hand it off to starks or jackson and Quinn Johnson ran inside instead of outside and hit the ball out of Rodgers hand??

PackersAllDay89

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was just an observation man - I see your facts, but it was simply something I noticed in the Eagles game. Maybe saying he didn't protect the ball gave you the wrong impression of what I really meant.

I meant to say that (at least on the Eagles strip) he didn't tuck the ball and take the sack, he held on to it and attempted to move in order to make a play - he pump fakes (or just pulls back from the pass) and then was in the motion of tucking to escape the rush as the defenders stripped him from behind. I can't fault him for trying to make a play at all. It happens at around the 3:02 mark here:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPBNa1xrj9E]YouTube - Packers Vs Eagles 2010 2011 Highlights Wild Card Playoffs[/ame]

I don't fault him at all and frankly I think Aaron is one of the best QB's in the game. I was just trying to get anyone's opinion and find out if anyone else saw this and thought the same thing. Obviously I could be wrong about the "facts" - but until he says otherwise it's what I saw.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't fault him at all and frankly I think Aaron is one of the best QB's in the game. I was just trying to get anyone's opinion and find out if anyone else saw this and thought the same thing. Obviously I could be wrong about the "facts" - but until he says otherwise it's what I saw.
I think you're right, and people getting so defensive/protective of Rodgers A) cracks me up a little and B) makes me proud because I love the guy.

To dismiss the fact that he's coughed away a couple of the biggest games is naive in my opinion, and non-Packer lovers and opposing defensive coordinators agree with me.

Now, would I trade Rodgers for ANY QB in the league? Nope. None.

But he's not God yet and he can improve in some areas..... and that's the biggest one (big game fumbles). Other than that, he's close to perfect. Let's get him a ring.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good point, Frank. But I put the blame on the o-line more than the QB. If the line plays to its capabilities, we will win this game.

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It was just an observation man - I see your facts, but it was simply something I noticed in the Eagles game. Maybe saying he didn't protect the ball gave you the wrong impression of what I really meant.

I meant to say that (at least on the Eagles strip) he didn't tuck the ball and take the sack, he held on to it and attempted to move in order to make a play - he pump fakes (or just pulls back from the pass) and then was in the motion of tucking to escape the rush as the defenders stripped him from behind. I can't fault him for trying to make a play at all. It happens at around the 3:02 mark here:

YouTube - Packers Vs Eagles 2010 2011 Highlights Wild Card Playoffs

Peace friend. I just thought that saying Rodgers has a fumbling problem based on one game was unfair to rodgers

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts