Aaron Rodgers' 2022 Season

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers knows exactly what he’s doing. He’s trying to get past a relatively easier game against Chicago or Rams to snuff out any chance of relative Love success.
Yet he’ll gladly turn the keys over to Love At Miami against a 8-3 team and then against the 9-2 Vikings. It’s the kinda guy he is and I guess you could say “it’s complicated”. :whistling:
You may be half right. IMO the Rams have the best defense of the 5 remaining teams the Packers will play.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
But he's also not going to roll over or step aside if that means potentially losing his starting position.
Agreed. Forget about records, money, MVP's, etc., I would say probably the worst thing that Aaron Rodgers can imagine happening, is someone else beating him out of his job. If we saw animosity by Rodgers towards the Packers after Love was drafted, stand back if that same guy would push him out of his starting job.

I think it will be years before Love is equal to or better than a healthy Rodgers, if ever. Unfortunately, unless they are willing to pony up a lot of money, I don't think that the Packers have years to wait to see if that happens. Play Love in these final games, see what he has and if nothing else, if he has something, than you know that you have yourself the potential future QB or some really good trade bait.

The Packers working out another QB (James Morgan) on Tuesday, leads me to believe that they are getting ready to moth ball Rodgers for the season. Whether that happens sooner, than later, I think they know that once that playoff window is completely shut, so is Rodgers season.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers working out another QB (James Morgan) on Tuesday, leads me to believe that they are getting ready to moth ball Rodgers for the season. Whether that happens sooner, than later, I think they know that once that playoff window is completely shut, so is Rodgers season.
It is just a prudent thing to do since Rodgers is one hit away from the IR. You need 2 QBs at least on game day.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

AR is done. The 2 touchdown throws were good, but that 2nd interception was a terrible decision and he had TIME too, good protection.

Loves noticeable improvement in his throwing motion, release point, accuracy and foot work(no more back foot throws) gives me confidence he can be successful

A HOFer? I don't know

This is the bit that rattles me the most, and I don`t mean that personally. Nobody has ever claimed he will be the next potential HOF qb, I just want the guy to be given a chance to show what he can do without everybody writing him off already.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It is just a prudent thing to do since Rodgers is one hit away from the IR. You need 2 QBs at least on game day.
He's been one hit away from IR all season, that hasn't changed. They have Danny Etling on the PS, so working out Morgan was with and eye on potentially wanting a 4th QB on the team in some form or simply to replace Etling, I guess we will see.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's been one hit away from IR all season, that hasn't changed. They have Danny Etling on the PS, so working out Morgan was with and eye on potentially wanting a 4th QB on the team in some form or simply to replace Etling, I guess we will see.

I think it is prepping for when Etling is elevated, Love is starter and Rodgers perhaps inactive once we are mathematically eliminated.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think it is prepping for when Etling is elevated, Love is starter and Rodgers perhaps inactive once we are mathematically eliminated.
Which is my guess too. This is the second time they have had Morgan in for a tryout. They must have liked what they saw last July and are just reconfirming that he is in shape and hasn't lost what he had. The surprising thing with both Etling (2018 Pats 7th round pick) and Morgan (2020 Jets 4th round pick), both have been in the NFL awhile and have zero regular season snaps, yet here they still are fighting for PS and roster spots.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which is my guess too. This is the second time they have had Morgan in for a tryout. They must have liked what they saw last July and are just reconfirming that he is in shape and hasn't lost what he had. The surprising thing with both Etling (2018 Pats 7th round pick) and Morgan (2020 Jets 4th round pick), both have been in the NFL awhile and have zero regular season snaps, yet here they still are fighting for PS and roster spots.

Morgan did very well in the preseason action he saw. He's a raw slinger of the ball many liked in the draft.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Throughout the course of a season teams work out players at every position. Each week they have a few guys working out. This usually means very, very little. With their current state at QB I would say this particular work-out rises to the meaning very little status. IMO.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Throughout the course of a season teams work out players at every position. Each week they have a few guys working out. This usually means very, very little. With their current state at QB I would say this particular work-out rises to the meaning very little status. IMO.
It is one thing to workout different guys at different positions. However, when a team works out a K, P, LS or QB, unless there is an injury that has/could knock out the starter/roster player, in one of those 4 positions, I raise an eyebrow as to why they are working out a guy for one of those positions. Could be that they have seen enough of Etling or he in fact is injured.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Darius Slay sure was impressed with Love.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just don't see a figure both the team or his agent/him would be able to agree to. However, that is a gamble he'd have to consider...especially if they say we are not picking up your 5th year...but if you'd do a 2024/2025 say $7M a year type deal (even maybe fully guaranteed) it is a hedge your bets type thing. However I don't see him taking it unless you break $11M or so a year.

There's probably a way to offer Love a contract with some terms that he'd like, but it would have to be super creative. A decent signing bonus in leu of the year 5 option to entice him and maybe a roster bonus on year 3 (2026) to make him highly/appropriately paid assuming Rodgers retires after 2025. Adjust the specific years around as appropriate.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's probably a way to offer Love a contract with some terms that he'd like, but it would have to be super creative. A decent signing bonus in leu of the year 5 option to entice him and maybe a roster bonus on year 3 (2026) to make him highly/appropriately paid assuming Rodgers retires after 2025. Adjust the specific years around as appropriate.
Love just turned 24 & has carried a clipboard for almost 3 seasons. Doubt he'd be content doing so for another 3 years, regardless of making $10-$15Mil/year while he continues waiting. He'd "only" be 27 after the 2025 season... but elsewhere he could already have a SB title, MVP or 2, and be pushing for a $50Mil/yr. extension by the end of 2025 IF he becomes a stud.

Reaction score
I don't know that I'd go quite this far; I really doubt that he has any desire to sabotage Love or to put him in a bad situation that minimizes his chances of success...

BUT at the same time...I suspect Rodgers has a better read on Love's overall ceiling, talent level, progress, potential, etc than just about anyone outside of 1265 Lombardi Ave... and I also suspect Rodgers probably has more insight as to the organization's overall feelings on Love in general, too (i.e. if they really see him as a starting option in the near future and thereabouts).

And so IF he knows that Love is the real deal - and IF he knows that the organization knows it as well and would be ready and willing to make him the starter going forward - then it would stand to reason that he would do everything to cling to his spot, including going out there with a dozen injuries for a team that's 4-8 and realistically has no shot of making the playoffs or doing anything of consequence if they did miraculously gets there. I know Rodgers is a big competitor for sure but he's also not stupid and I think deep down he probably knows (and has known for a while now) that this is not a playoff-quality team, let alone a Super Bowl contender.

It's been said before that in the league the LAST thing you ever want to do is put yourself in a position where someone else can take your job - if you can help it you want to make sure you are always the one occupying your spot because you never know if you'll get it back once it's gone.

So I don't think he's going to do anything to try and sabotage Love - every indication is that he likes the kid and they have a good relationship and there's no bad blood there. But he's also not going to roll over or step aside if that means potentially losing his starting position. Obviously his contract makes it difficult for us but being the competitor he is Rodgers is going to want to play and I really doubt he would be content to be a backup in GB and just collect a paycheck in the event that Love looks great and we decide to go with him going forward.
That’s fair.

If you look at the history of how #12 won the starting role? While we have no idea of the long term impact Love will or wont have? It’s still eerily similar #12 replacing #4

Let’s just come up with 1 possible scenario. You are the GM I trust you you sound reasonable.

Jordan Love comes out on fire and Wins a respectable 2 or 3 of the final 5 contests. However, almost as important, he goes toe to toe with Tua or Kirk until deep in the contests (possibly even winning 1 in an upset)

If you know Jordan’s trajectory is around an athlete that is likely .500 or + better in the very near future..
What do you do?
I agree with you on one point, no way do you bench #12, he’s still a bad man. What are your options?

1. Keep both
2. Trade Love
3. Trade Rodgers

Imo It’s “highly unlikely” you keep $75Mil of QB’s on your Roster.

That leaves 2 options.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I agree with you on one point, no way do you bench #12, he’s still a bad man. What are your options?
One would never bench Rodgers for 2023 and beyond, but if Love seemed like the real deal, trade Rodgers while he still has trade value. I'd be fine if the Packers used 2023 as a good learning season for Love, as well as a season to get cap healthy.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One would never bench Rodgers for 2023 and beyond, but if Love seemed like the real deal, trade Rodgers while he still has trade value. I'd be fine if the Packers used 2023 as a good learning season for Love, as well as a season to get cap healthy.
And so maybe let ARod rest and bring him back later in the season to show that he still has it. Because he really isn't showing it right now.

Reaction score
You may be half right. IMO the Rams have the best defense of the 5 remaining teams the Packers will play.
Ok. I see it as a relative toss up between D scoring
Rams (18th)
Vikings (19th) and
Miami (#21)
None of those strike fear though.

I could see Love having success on the #27th ranked Bears scoring D this week IF he was to play

I just realized that Rodgers has played Defenses ranked
#2, #4, #5, #7, #8,#9,#10,

Last edited:

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That’s fair.

If you look at the history of how #12 won the starting role? While we have no idea of the long term impact Love will or wont have? It’s still eerily similar #12 replacing #4

Let’s just come up with 1 possible scenario. You are the GM I trust you you sound reasonable.

Jordan Love comes out on fire and Wins a respectable 2 or 3 of the final 5 contests. However, almost as important, he goes toe to toe with Tua or Kirk until deep in the contests (possibly even winning 1 in an upset)

If you know Jordan’s trajectory is around an athlete that is likely .500 or + better in the very near future..
What do you do?

1. Keep both
2. Trade Love
3. Trade Rodgers

Imo It’s “highly unlikely” you keep $75Mil of QB’s on your Roster.

That leaves 2 options.
Oh yeah. I'm mostly with you there.

I don't know if the last four or five matches will be enough to give us a great read on Love or not. I very much doubt he ever becomes a Rodgers-level player (and that's not a slight on him at all. For my money the number of QBs who have played the game as good or better than Rodgers can be counted on one hand), but at the same time I don't know that he needs to be. We have heard for a while now that the LaFleur system doesn't necessarily need an elite QB to be successful and I think that's mostly true; we have had plenty of great team performances even when Rodgers has been average just so long as he sticks to the script.

So with all that being said I think it's a case where Love doesn't *need* to absolutely blow everyone away and convince us he'll be our third HOF QB in a row. Obviously that would be preferable, but for me it's not a requirement to commit to building around him and picking up his option and making him "The guy" for the next few years.

Of course hindsight is 20-20 but it does look more and more like the best move would've been to trade Rodgers this past offseason and it was arguably a mistake to not do so. But you don't want to compound that mistake further this year, so ultimately I DO think we ought to look to find a trade for him following this season. I think there's a handful of teams that would make sense for him (A team that needs a QB, has the money, can send assets in trade, and isn't a total rebuild project) and we could still stand to get a decent return, too.

In general though I'm usually of the opinion that it's better to move on a bit too early than it is to wait until it's too late. It's possible that Rodgers could be traded and be succesful elsewhere but at this point TBH I'd take my chances.

Best-case scenario for me then is that we trade Rodgers for a decent haul of picks and it's another Russell Wilson situation. He makes a big move to another team, we get a big payday, and he's no good for them (Nothing against Rodgers of course but we have to admit it's better for us if we trade him and he does poorly than if we move on and he's a massive success). Love blossoms into an elite QB and we're stocked up with assets to invest around him and a much healthier cap situation in a couple of years.

Worst-case scenario is that Rodgers just retires or gets traded for peanuts OR we make a decent trade but he's wildly successful with another team a la Tom Brady joining the Bucs. Love doesn't develop nearly enough and is just mediocre-to-average while Rodgers brings home another super bowl for someone else. We've committed to an average QB and have to either build around him or endure a few very lean years until we can get a top QB again.

But somewhere in the middle is probably more likely and I think that is an O.K. outcome too: Rodgers gets traded for a decent return, although not quite Russell Wilson trade-levels. Love develops nicely into a quality starting QB. He's not immediately in the absolute top-tier elite conversation, but he's above-average - and perhaps more importantly he learns LaFleur's offense inside and out and has no problem with sticking to the script and executing it cleanly and following the gameplan. His talent/potential still peeks out every now and then with some highlight plays but for the most part he is more "efficient" than "amazing" and that's okay. Rodgers goes to another team, gets healthy, and with a better skill cast around him he has a bit of a bounce back in 2023.

I'd be reasonably okay with that "middle" outcome, honestly.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think there's a handful of teams that would make sense for him (A team that needs a QB, has the money, can send assets in trade, and isn't a total rebuild project) and we could still stand to get a decent return, too.

One interesting problem with that, among others, is that Tom Brady is to be an URFA next year. The Bucs aren't looking so hot for 2024, so Tom will presumably have his preferred pick again. (assuming he doesn't retire, of course)

If one of those teams exists, would they rather trade a boat load of picks AND pay a boat load of money for Rodgers? Or "just" pay a boat load of money for Tom Brady?

Reaction score
I’m happy to hear reports coming out that Rodger’s is open ears to sit out this week in the event he’s not cleared. He’s be smart to let Jordan compete this week. If we are not eliminated? He can always resume the following contest.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts