9-8-2013 Packers vs 49ers - REVENGE

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK, just got back from Arizona for my annual Fantasy Draft/Golf tournament weekend.
(I was the winner and hero on the links....).

I DID MY PART to jinx the 49ers. I couldn't get Kaepernick because someone kept him.
But I did take his top 2 targets in Vernon Davis and Anquan Boldin.

In the past few years, I have (injury) jinxed: Roethlisberger (something broke), MJD (foot last year, missed last half+season), Cedric Benson (lisfranc), LeSean McCoy (head), Adrian Peterson (high ankle sprain the week I got him, then the torn ACL the week they rushed him back), Rob Gronkowski (broken arm), Peyton Manning (neck) and Tony Romo (broken collar bone).

I will work the trade wires to try and obtain some Falcons, Giants, and Seahawks.
I wish we played IDP so I could take Alden Smith, Richard Sherman, Justin Smith, Novorro Bowman, Patrick Willis.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
We definitely have the talent on this roster to compete with SF. They're a bad match up for us though.

It really comes down to the run. If we can stop their run game, I have far more confidence in our pass defense. The 9ers struggle with big backs, and we now have one. If we could 4.8 with a little back because of how much they fear 12, think of what Lacy should be able to do. That being said, EDS has shown significant regression so far this year, Barclay is Barclay and will need tons of help, and as good as Bakhtiari has been this will be a baptism by fire for a rookie who will make rookie mistakes against one of the best blind side rushing duos in the NF, who are now completely healthy again.

Things that make me smile rather villainously:
Nnamdi probably covers Jones in Nickel
Reid may get stuck covering Finley

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we are better than they are in many areas, but the mismatch of our horrible OL vs their great DL might be too much to overcome.

Some fans think Rodgers can overcome everything but we've seen he can't.
We saw it vs the Giants 4-man front in the 2011 season playoffs when we almost went undefeated. We saw it at Kansas City that year when Newhouse let Tamba Hali run round him all day long.

And now Bakhtiari has to go against the speed of Alden Smith and the power and brilliance of Justin Smith all on that same side.

If we could run block that would help a lot, but our run blocking is also horrible.

I do have more faith in our defense though.... love Jolly's swag.
Hope Nick Perry gives Kapernick a new tattoo right on his chest.

USArmyParatrooper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think 94 niners was saying that all the niners have to do is "not beat themselves."

I think 94niners brought up legitimate concerns of 49ers fans, and possible weaknesses of the team. Having an unproven, rookie FS go up against the NFL's top Qb and the Packers' wideouts is not ideal. The Packers have a team that can exploit that match up. On top of that, the Packers have a D that looks to be improved, whereas the niners WR's are at best a question mark, at worst a liability. One unmentioned worry is the fact that Kaepernick saw fewer preseason snaps than any other projected starter in the NFL(except RGIII, for obvious reasons). Hopefully, he doesn't come into the game and immediately put the niners in a hole like last time. Throwing in an improved Packer run game (which the niners will try to stop with their front 7) and reasonable niner fans are apprehensive of this matchup.

I believe both fan bases have respect for the opposing teams, and both recognize that either team can take this one. Personally, I think that it will come down to the Packer's Oline. If the Packer oline folds under pressure, then the niners win. But if it can protect Rogers, open up some running lanes for Lacy / Franklin, and force the niners to drop a safety in the box, then the Packers win.

Hopefully, both teams come out of the matchup without any major injuries.

I agree it comes down to GB pass protection, but with Justin and Aldon Smith actually playing healthy this time, and with new found strong depth on the 49ers D, and with GB's questionable pass protection - you're kind of screwed in that department.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I agree it comes down to GB pass protection, but with Justin and Aldon Smith actually playing healthy this time, and with new found strong depth on the 49ers D, and with GB's questionable pass protection - you're kind of screwed in that department.
What effect do guys who don't play have on a game? From what I saw in PS your special teams didn't take a hit (Didn't get any better either, but it was a great unit to begin with) and that's the only time they'll see the field.

USArmyParatrooper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What effect do guys who don't play have on a game? From what I saw in PS your special teams didn't take a hit (Didn't get any better either, but it was a great unit to begin with) and that's the only time they'll see the field.

Last year some of the same work horses were playing almost every single snap, getting very little rest. Now we have some beastly new blood like Lemonier giving offensive lines fits, which will allow for more sub packages. God help the rest of the league when Tank Carradine is healthy.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last year some of the same work horses were playing almost every single snap, getting very little rest. Now we have some beastly new blood like Lemonier giving offensive lines fits, which will allow for more sub packages. God help the rest of the league when Tank Carradine is healthy.
I really liked Lemonier into this draft.
Carradine has all kinds of ability, but the motor runs hot & cold.
Hopefully the fruitty town of San Francisco can rub off on him.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is not a revenge game. It is more about trying to beat the one team in the conference that appears to have us. In 2011 it was the Giants. Last year it was the 9ers. MM chalked the Giants game up to poor pass rush and poor pass D. He knows they can fix that and can beat the Giants somehow.

With SF we were just beaten on both sides of the ball plain and simple. MM is obsessed with solving this dilemma. But it is not really a cat and mouse game. It is really a case of one team being better in a number of phases and simply executing it on the field. Right now they have the upper hand. 3 years ago the 9ers were atrocious. The Ravens were able to match up with the 9ers to where the game was close and could have gone either way. In the end they made a few more plays and that was enough to win. We'll need more than a few plays to beat the 9ers.

Marvin49

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't be surprised if the 49ers run very little run option and do something they've never done before...like run no huddle or something. Harbaugh/Roman know damn well that the Pack are sitting in weight for the read-option. I wouldn't expect the 49ers to play into the trap.

There are too many variables tho for me to make a prediction. Should be a good game. I for one am happy that both Aldon and Justin will be healthy again for this game so the pass rush should be back.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I think the ravens main factor in helping keep the 49ers in check was their stable of good LB'ers. They had R. Lewis, D. Ellerby (beast), Paul Kruger and Courtney Upshaw. We cant hold a candle to that LBing crew and what they did to the 49ers.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I for one am happy that both Aldon and Justin will be healthy again for this game so the pass rush should be back.
Sure would be nice to have our two #1 draft pick OTs healthy...
...or to have the Niners two #1 draft pick OT's out like ours are.

Marvin49

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the ravens main factor in helping keep the 49ers in check was their stable of good LB'ers. They had R. Lewis, D. Ellerby (beast), Paul Kruger and Courtney Upshaw. We cant hold a candle to that LBing crew and what they did to the 49ers.

Kruger, Ellerbe(sp?) and Upshaw...maybe. Ngata....definitely. Ray Ray tho? He was horrible. The 49ers abused him all day. He was a liablity and the Ravens won in spite of him, not because of him.

Gore ran right past him in the hole on several occasions. Vernon Davis and Michael Crabtree attacked him specifically in the pass game. He may have given them a lift from an emotional perspective, but he was terrible on the field.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Kruger, Ellerbe(sp?) and Upshaw...maybe. Ngata....definitely. Ray Ray tho? He was horrible. The 49ers abused him all day. He was a liablity and the Ravens won in spite of him, not because of him.

Gore ran right past him in the hole on several occasions. Vernon Davis and Michael Crabtree attacked him specifically in the pass game. He may have given them a lift from an emotional perspective, but he was terrible on the field.
He was the BAL version of Hawk. Made the calls and adjustments, but as a player was useless. He also set the tone and played with heart.

OP
OP

12theTruth

Sure would be nice to have our two #1 draft pick OTs healthy...
...or to have the Niners two #1 draft pick OT's out like ours are.

I wonder if when Ted said he was OK with the line he knew something we didn't maybe Sherrod is going to contribute this season. :whistling:

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think there's really anything to avenge anyway. The Niners were just a mismatch for the Packers last year and probably will be again in this opener. I don't see our 0-line doing anything against their physical and athletic front seven to be able to run the ball and Aaron Rodgers will probably get sacked 5-6 times. Our defense should show better than in January to keep things from being embarrassing.

The first 3 games of this season, before the bye, are essentially an extended preseason for the Packers. They will have some more growing pains and be a work in progress with the o-line, running game and defense but after the bye they should start to assert themselves more and end up with a successful season.

OP
OP

12theTruth

See Harbaugh is whining in the media about Matthews comments. Obviously he is posturing, just angling to get a better response from the refs. As far as I am concerned he is the biggest tool in NFL coaching besides Pete Carroll.

OP
OP

12theTruth

I don't think there's really anything to avenge anyway. The Niners were just a mismatch for the Packers last year and probably will be again in this opener. I don't see our 0-line doing anything against their physical and athletic front seven to be able to run the ball and Aaron Rodgers will probably get sacked 5-6 times. Our defense should show better than in January to keep things from being embarrassing.

The first 3 games of this season, before the bye, are essentially an extended preseason for the Packers. They will have some more growing pains and be a work in progress with the o-line, running game and defense but after the bye they should start to assert themselves more and end up with a successful season.

So are you saying that revenge only applies when a team is favored to win the game? Even though these NFL players are millionaires they are a proud lot. You can bet these players have this Week 1 contest circled as the Green Bay Packers were embarrassed on the field last January (primarily the defense).

So whether it be payback or revenge or whatever else you want to call it there's going to be a little extra of it on Sunday.

Last edited by a moderator:

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
See Harbaugh is whining in the media about Matthews comments. Obviously he is posturing, just angling to get a better response from the refs. As far as I am concerned he is the biggest tool in NFL coaching besides Pete Carroll.
He's a child and he always has been. Bad lip reading nailed him perfectly. Still a great coach

USArmyParatrooper

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He's welcome to join the 49ers. He'll be better protected, play with a better defense and we're in great need of a very good backup quarterback.