9-8-2013 Packers vs 49ers - REVENGE

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My concerns about the SF game has nothing to do with the preseason other than the injuries we incurred.

You seem to think we're the only team dealing with injuries. Crabtree and Manningham are both on their PUP list. That's going to have a huge impact on their offense. Boldin and Kyle Williams are their starters. They're not going to be able to use a lot of their playbook.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't wait for this game. I think it a win not a blow out but a good win,our d-line will have Perry back maybe Jolly witch will help with the run I think. Just have a good feeling about this one:)

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Speaking to the "REVENGE" part of this thread, I'm not buying it. Green Bay has booted the 49ers out of the playoffs more often than not. We beat them in 1995, 1996, and 1997 before the TO game ended the Holmgren era in 1998. We beat them again in 2001 before last year's loss. I think that the 49er fans out there look at last year's loss as "revenge" more than us.

I also think that revenge is a poor kind of motivation. Oh it works, but pride and a quest for greatness are higher in my book.
Jerry Rice fumbled.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You seem to think we're the only team dealing with injuries. Crabtree and Manningham are both on their PUP list. That's going to have a huge impact on their offense. Boldin and Kyle Williams are their starters. They're not going to be able to use a lot of their playbook.

There is absolutely nothing in my post that says I think we're the only team dealing with injuries.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is absolutely nothing in my post that says I think we're the only team dealing with injuries.

Okay, fair enough. My point was that their injuries right now are probably at least as big a loss as ours, possibly more so.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
F what everyone is talking about... we are winning the season opener

Know what? Though I won't make that definitive statement ... I'm there with you. I'm thinking that the Packers have been raked over the coals so thoroughly during this off season, that I've got to believe that McCarthy hasn't just circled this game (much as he denies it), I think he's circled it, put large red exclamation points in front and behind the date and highlighted it in yellow. So thorough was the embarrassment of both losses last year that I'm all but certain that he's hammered his wishes into the heads of these guys (the players and the coaches). On the flip side of that coin, I'm all but certain that the former Bear coaching the 9'ers is telling his guys that this is what's happening in Green Bay.

I hear all the things these guys say to the media "We're professionals and don't need extra motivation" et al, etc..etc..etc... blah blah blah... but, behind closed doors, I just KNOW that he's kicking their keesters with last year's game tape. Let's not forget that these players are young men and DO need to be re-focused from time-to-time, and in the words of Kevin Greene, "It is time...." :)

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Jerry Rice fumbled.

The only people who 'say' (not believe) that Rice did NOT fumble are 9'ers fans. Much the same way that the only people who believe wazziname that ball last year are Seagull fans. ...and it's hard to tell the 9'er fans from the Seagull fans these days. The constant crap talk emanating from northern California and the Pacific Northwest is kind of running together these days - it's hard to tell, if anyone really cares, where one fan base's line of crap ends and the other begins, it's alll turned into one great big steaming pile. ;)

...and my second favorite NFL team going back to the early 70's is the 9'ers (that is being tested since Harbaugh became head coach).

USArmyParatrooper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only people who 'say' (not believe) that Rice did NOT fumble are 9'ers fans. Much the same way that the only people who believe wazziname that ball last year are Seagull fans. ...and it's hard to tell the 9'er fans from the Seagull fans these days. The constant crap talk emanating from northern California and the Pacific Northwest is kind of running together these days - it's hard to tell, if anyone really cares, where one fan base's line of crap ends and the other begins, it's alll turned into one great big steaming pile. ;)

...and my second favorite NFL team going back to the early 70's is the 9'ers (that is being tested since Harbaugh became head coach).

Out of curiosity, why the Harbaugh hate? He does get spastic on the sidelines, but that's not hate worthy. It just makes for some hilarious gifs. He stands up for his players and he's quick to take the blame if any of them aren't playing well.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, why the Harbaugh hate? He does get spastic on the sidelines, but that's not hate worthy. It just makes for some hilarious gifs. He stands up for his players and he's quick to take the blame if any of them aren't playing well.

I don't hate Harbaugh. He is a former Bears QB and that's that for that. ;) Hey... but I'm only indifferent to his brother John...so there's something, right?

H

HardRightEdge

I'm hoping we're competitive. We don't need a win, but I don't think we can afford another embarrassment.

94niners

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is it just me or didn't little DuJuan Harris put up a 4.8 average against them the last time we played them? By what logic do we conclude that it's now impossible for Lacy to match or better what he did?
(a) Justin Smith + Aldon Smith both played the game hurt.
(b) Ian Williams seems to be a better NT than Sopaga was, although there wasn't much base defense in that game.

Still, the Pack's run O should improve. That said,

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

(seems to be about that time of year ;) )

Anyway, where Green Bay will have to hedge its bet is on its defense and its passing offense. Will the 49ers injuries at WR and the improvement of GB's defense be enough to stop the 49ers from putting up a ton of points?
Will rookie Eric Reid of the 49ers be able to not screw up his assignments playing against the best QB in the league right now?

That's what this game will hinge on, not GB's running game.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Anyway, where Green Bay will have to hedge its bet is on its defense and its passing offense. Will the 49ers injuries at WR and the improvement of GB's defense be enough to stop the 49ers from putting up a ton of points?
Will rookie Eric Reid of the 49ers be able to not screw up his assignments playing against the best QB in the league right now?

That's what this game will hinge on, not GB's running game.

Welcome 94niners. I may be reading that wrong and if I am, I apologize in advance. Sure reads to me as though you and a good part of your 9'er brethren believe that all the 9'ers have to do is show up, and that a couple of guys need to NOT screw up and wha-lah!! Victory is yours.

While I understand your fan base's glee at going to (and misery of losing) a Super Bowl, I would offer that the key will NOT be the 9'ers defeating themselves as your post would infer, but rather that the 9'ers coaching staff once again completely out-coach the Packers'.

Your guys ran the ball 43 times in last year's game, including #5's attempts - hard to determine to be sure, how many of those attempts resulted from 'coverage' and how many were designed off the top of my head. Factor out #5's 56-yard busted play jaunt -- and our defense STILL sucked. Much has been made of the read-option thing ... but I still think that poor preparation on GB's side (or exemplary game planning by SF) had more to do with it than anything.

So... 43 running plays to 16 (including Rodgers' 3) for Green Bay, a 38 minute to 21 minute time-of-possession advantage for SF ... want to tell us again how unimportant a running game is to Green Bay? Just sayin' ...

...and I repeat ... LAST year has nothing to do with THIS year -- and I'm not taking thing #1 away from the 9'ers. Your guys beat our guys ... twice... and neither win was a fluke. Best of luck to your guys this year beginning week 2. :)

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think anyone who thinks the Packers will beat the 49'ers at home is dreaming. I don't see the Packers roster improving enough(even with Lacy) to turn the fortunes.
I see the Packers losing the first three games, at SF, home at Washington(really improved team) and losing to Cincy there the following week.(Cincy could win the AFC).
After the bye week they will beat the Lions, lose the next week to the Ravens(could go either way) defeat the Browns and lose to the Vikings, beat the Bears and Eagles, lose to the Giants and beat the Vikings, lose to the Lions and Falcons, beat the Cowboys and lose to the Steelers and beat the Bears.
Thats 7-9... I'm willing to fudge on a couple...maybe the Ravens and maybe the Steelers...but the schedule is a killer, filled with playoff teams and teams on the upswing.
I don't think the Bears will be there this year, but splitting with the Vikings and Lions is reasonable. I don't see the Packers having enough "blue"(top shelf) players to compete with some teams like the 49'ers. TT largely rebuilt the team this year with castoffs and rookies, and that isn't going to cut it with elite teams.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think anyone who thinks the Packers will beat the 49'ers at home is dreaming. I don't see the Packers roster improving enough(even with Lacy) to turn the fortunes.
I see the Packers losing the first three games, at SF, home at Washington(really improved team) and losing to Cincy there the following week.(Cincy could win the AFC).
After the bye week they will beat the Lions, lose the next week to the Ravens(could go either way) defeat the Browns and lose to the Vikings, beat the Bears and Eagles, lose to the Giants and beat the Vikings, lose to the Lions and Falcons, beat the Cowboys and lose to the Steelers and beat the Bears.
Thats 7-9... I'm willing to fudge on a couple...maybe the Ravens and maybe the Steelers...but the schedule is a killer, filled with playoff teams and teams on the upswing.
I don't think the Bears will be there this year, but splitting with the Vikings and Lions is reasonable. I don't see the Packers having enough "blue"(top shelf) players to compete with some teams like the 49'ers. TT largely rebuilt the team this year with castoffs and rookies, and that isn't going to cut it with elite teams.
I'm just a casual fan so I don't really take the time to look at football all that deeply.
Unless you make football your 24/7 job, such as the experts and analysts on TV or online, then it's really impossible to make any kind of prediction.
Changes happen to every team and unless you are keeping yourself up to date on what all the teams have done up to right now here in the pre-season, it's not fair to make any kind of prediction.
Especially based on what teams did last year or just going by name only.
I see Browns and I think, "Losers." I see Niners and I think, "Strong team" and neither one is right.
Packers might beat 49ers and might lose to the Browns.
The season hasn't even started and already you are counting out the Packers.
Yeah, they could go 0-16 but they also could surprise you by having more wins and beating those teams you see them losing to.

Fanatics

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am hoping that we do not need it but there is a chance that the 49ers are looking past us. They are facing the consensus choice to win both the NFCW and Superbowl this season in week 2. And by the way, Seattle is now the biggest rival of theirs. Also, I have heard a few of the 49er players state they are looking forward to the Seattle game the most.

We shall not be overlooked!!

The Drew

The Drew Cave
Reaction score
Written by one of my followers on Instagram: (pretty funny)

One team hasn't won a Super Bowl in almost 20 years/The other has won 2 Super Bowls within that same time frame.

One team has a Super Bowl champion QB which is also a Super Bowl MVP,NFL MVP & a multiple time pro bowler/The other has none of that.

One QB sniffs his armpit as a TD celebration/The other puts on a championship belt as his TD celebration

One QB poses naked for magazines/The other poses with the fans he brought the championship home to

One QB took a photo wearing a cap of another NFL team and said he didn't care what the fans or anyone else thought of it/The other QB is to loyal to his team and craft in spite of the fans not accepting him at first

Last year neither of these teams won the Super Bowl, so 2nd place is as good as 32nd place

This could go on & on. So before anyone wants to say that Packer fans are hating on the 49ers, the 49ers haven't given a much of a reason to hate on them. #sorrynotsorry#justsaying#dontbelievethehype

Reaction score
I'd like to see us commit to running the ball a lot better than in last year's two games against San Fran.

It'd help if the defense actually shows up - keep our offense from panicking and becoming pass happy.

OP
OP

12theTruth

I'd like to see us commit to running the ball a lot better than in last year's two games against San Fran.

It'd help if the defense actually shows up - keep our offense from panicking and becoming pass happy.

The only chance we have to win is we can move the chains on the ground effectively creating balance. If the Pack becomes one dimensional we are hosed as Aldon Smith will be going up against a rookie 4th round left tackle.

I actually believe our defense will surprisingly to many hold up well but get tired late as our offense will struggle to maintain drives and covert red zone opportunities to touchdowns.

Last edited by a moderator:

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I find it very hard to predict the outcome of this game because I don't know how good the Packers are. I'm pretty sure I know how good the 49ers are and what we can expect from them, but the Packers? Rodgers hardly played, Lacy hardly played, our 1st string OL hardly played, our starting WRs hardly played. Datone Jones hardly played after his ankle injury and when he did, it was usually in nickel defenses where he had little chance of getting pressure. Neither the starting offense nor the starting defense played for any appreciable amount of snaps in preseason.

I just don't know how good this team is, or whether they'll going to be on the same page come Sunday. I could see us getting blown out, I could see us pulling off an impressive victory.

AFan77

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I understand your fan base's glee at going to (and misery of losing) a Super Bowl, I would offer that the key will NOT be the 9'ers defeating themselves as your post would infer, but rather that the 9'ers coaching staff once again completely out-coach the Packers'.

I don't think 94 niners was saying that all the niners have to do is "not beat themselves."

I think 94niners brought up legitimate concerns of 49ers fans, and possible weaknesses of the team. Having an unproven, rookie FS go up against the NFL's top Qb and the Packers' wideouts is not ideal. The Packers have a team that can exploit that match up. On top of that, the Packers have a D that looks to be improved, whereas the niners WR's are at best a question mark, at worst a liability. One unmentioned worry is the fact that Kaepernick saw fewer preseason snaps than any other projected starter in the NFL(except RGIII, for obvious reasons). Hopefully, he doesn't come into the game and immediately put the niners in a hole like last time. Throwing in an improved Packer run game (which the niners will try to stop with their front 7) and reasonable niner fans are apprehensive of this matchup.

I believe both fan bases have respect for the opposing teams, and both recognize that either team can take this one. Personally, I think that it will come down to the Packer's Oline. If the Packer oline folds under pressure, then the niners win. But if it can protect Rogers, open up some running lanes for Lacy / Franklin, and force the niners to drop a safety in the box, then the Packers win.

Hopefully, both teams come out of the matchup without any major injuries.

OP
OP

12theTruth

And I get the sick feeling that Burnett's injury might keep him out a while too. It's been too hush-hush about the extent of it. Hopefully, I'm wrong.

Hayward missed practice today but not Burnett. Burnett's injury was minor. He should be good to go for Week 1.

Members online

Latest posts