1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Big Announcement Coming for 2015 Football Season!!

Be on the look out for a big Packer Forum announcement when the schedule is released. Full details coming soon...

7 more years of Cutler

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Rodgers_Forever, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers 1. FC Eintracht Bamberg

Ratings:
    +489
    He never had a winning record and threw lots of picks. Is that what you consider "very good"? Jeff George part II.

2. LAG

LAG Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +164
  3. Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers 1. FC Eintracht Bamberg

Ratings:
    +489
    I don't know what a Derp is, and I'm not from that part of the country. I'm not even a Packer fan (or fan of any other NFC North team) so I am an unbiased opinion. I know I'm dead correct on this one.

4. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +2,837
    I was hoping it would take them longer to come to an agreement so I could lobby on Bears radio for a contract bigger than Rodgers. :D IMO the best thing about this is the size of the contract, it’ll make it more difficult for them to upgrade their defense. The Bears have a lot of cap room (before this contract I believe about 40 some million) and a lot of free agents this off season. And Peppers is signed but his cap number for 2014 is about $18M.

I think Cutler has a fatal flaw but he has a strong arm and their receiver corp, Forte, and their newly rebuilt OL are pretty impressive: The Bears finished second in the league in scoring so Trestman definitely revived the Bears offense. And it was effective with the second string QB (so they perhaps could’ve saved some money and cap room with a cheaper QB). But their D finished tied for second worst in the league in scoring. They've basically switched from Lovie's teams: Lovie never found the right OC and let's hope Trestman does as well regarding a DC (BTW I'm hoping they keep their current DC).

Cutler did post the best passer rating of his career in his 11 games this season at 89.2. But as already mentioned, his problem is INTs. Of course no one, not even the craziest Bears fan, would argue Cutler is better than Rodgers but for comparison purposes here are some stats. Rodgers began starting in 2008 and his rating that season was 93.8. That’s his lowest rating as a starter and of course it’s higher than Cutler’s career high.

Over the past five seasons, using nfl.com’s stats, Cutler has played in 67 regular season games and Rodgers has played in 71. Cutler has thrown 101 TDs and 75 INTs over that period so he’s averaged 1.51 TDs/game and 1.12 INTS/game.

Rodgers has thrown 159 TDs and 38 INTs over that period so he’s averaged 2.24 TDs/game and 0.53 INTS/game. Cutler's TDs/game was up slightly this year under Trestman but his INTs/game were right on his average. What’s the difference in their compensation?

5. Bensalama21

Bensalama21 Ben

Ratings:
    +606
    I like this one better haha

6. melvin dangerr

melvin dangerr Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +105
    LOOOOVVEEE IT, 7 more years of kicking his ARSE!!!!!!!!

7. BigBayBlues

BigBayBlues Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +34
    Man, I really miss 21!

8. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,379
    Best news so far in 2014!!!:D

9. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +615
    Any time you can pay a quarterback that has only won one playoff game his entire career $17M-$18M annually, you have to do it! Da Bears!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,379
    I think this is the only thread where there is unanimous approval by Packer fans. :cool:

11. PackwillBEback

PackwillBEback Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    Eh, I dont' hate Jay. Sure he's whiny, makes a lot of dumb decisions, but he's good. Don't think he'll ever make a run in the playoffs, but he's serviceable.

12. Carl

Carl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +900
    I think the best thing about him being locked in for years is that it means the Bears won't end up with a great QB anytime soon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. HyponGrey

HyponGrey Caseus Locutus Est

Ratings:
    +1,030
    We get to play the baker for 7 more years? Cookies and turnovers for everyone!

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +645
    fine by me.

15. Southpaw

Southpaw Endorphin Junkie

Ratings:
    +422
    Cutler can't even beat us as it is, now they drop a ridiculous amount of money to keep him, meanwhile their defense is getting worse.

A lot of other organization are probably pissed about this, Chicago just set a new bar in terms of salary for b-level quarterbacks everywhere

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,425
    We all know that Cutler has the physical tools to be good. He displays it occasionally for everyone to see. Mentally he doesn't have the tools to be an elite, clutch QB and is severely lacking in leadership qualities. Men don't follow whiny, frumpy leaders. They follow confidence. This huge contract will be the boat anchor that makes championships hard to come by in Chicago for the next 5 years.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. HyponGrey

HyponGrey Caseus Locutus Est

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Cutler is a 3 year deal with 4 club option years after that.

18. Weadoption

Weadoption Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    yup......Cutler will never play out that contract.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. NOMOFO

NOMOFO Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +394
    I think it's pretty funny that the Bears are now managing their roster using the Packers model. They actually admit to it! They're wrapping up a bunch of their own players, with talk of extending some that are approaching their last year.

I can not even believe how ignorant some fans are. They're going to have to eat a ton of cap space by cutting Peppers. There are VERY FEW big-name free agents that play to the pay of their contracts. Yet... Bears fans are now calling for a big free agent signing this off season!!!!!

20. dandbuck

dandbuck Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Now if we can get our DB's to close the gap a bit, we have 2-3 int's and maybe a pick-6 for two games a year!

21. Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper Fantasy Football Guru

Ratings:
    +1,395
    McCown outplayed Cutler and he was a backup.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,058
    This contract dramatically increases the likelihood that Cutler ends up on the Packers' Ring of Honor.

• Funny Funny x 3
  23. RonRod

RonRod Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Too much false bravado around here. Cutler will most definitely break our hearts a few times over the next couple seasons. The guy plays hurt and has turned a corner this year as a leader. People just get fooled because he doesn't act like they want a football player to act. Get over it

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  24. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,058
    Yeah, well....lighten up Rod ... this is a Packers football forum and if we choose to ridicule an opponents QB1, that's part and parcel with the whole schtick. False bravado? Hardly. Mean spirited vindictiveness? That's more like it.

• Funny Funny x 1
  25. RonRod

RonRod Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Fair enough. Didn't mean to offend. Just pointing out that in my opinion the national narrative is way off on Cutler. Him and Trestman are going to be scary.

But yes, cutler can appear to be a huge douche and I'm glad I dont have to try to root for him.