6 offseason issues

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Finley - its been widely reported he will be gone this year with one year and $8 mil left on his contract. Dont be so sure about that.

2. Woodson - 37 yrs old and due $10 mil, he will need to rework his contract to remain with the team.

3. Center position -EDS was suitable for the season but does the team think he is a long term solution? A viable option may appear in the draft.

4. Back up QB - Does the coaching staff trust GH? Do they draft a back up? Acquire a vet?

5. Contract extensions -Rodgers Raji Jones and Matthews are some of the big names that might be due an extension soon.

6. Driver - Its time to say goodbye to an old friend. I hope we see him around GB often.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. It's funny how Finley was basically already off the team two months ago. But then, following McGinn's article, he turned it around drastically and was reliable. Still, his plays weren't the result of his overwhelming talent. Rather, he was open and caught the damn ball. To put it another way, he didn't do anything that Quarless or D.J. Williams can't do, and Quarless is a much better blocker. I love Finley because of his potential, but he hasn't lived up to it and $8M is too much to pay for potential.

2. Agree. I bet he doesn't return. But, maybe he's one of those aging veterans that cares more about winning and will take a significant pay cut to remain on a perennial contender.

3. I bet they consider EDS the future. I expect them to add some interior line depth, someone in the mold of EDS that can be plugged in at guard/center.

4. Very good point. I think the staff trusts him, but I'd like to see some better option that GH.

5. I don't think James Jones is high up the priority list yet. You need to include Sam Shields in that discussion. He's a must sign/extend in my mind. Young and only getting better.

6. Spot on.

7. WR position. If Jennings and DD are gone - like we all expect - and Finley leaves, the Pack will need to start re-loading the stable. Jordy, Jones, and Cobb are great 1-3 options. But, we need to develop that 4th and 5th talent. We may have it already with Boykin and Ross, but they need competition at a minimum. I wouldn't mind seeing a higher pick on a talent that TT identifies. He's done very well with 2nd-round WR selections - Jennings, Jordy, and Cobb.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
1- I happen to think finley will still be around.

2-woodson will have some big time talking to do and talk a big pay cut to stay at his age and with his re-occuring injury. Doubt many other teams would pick him up due to those 2 issues.

3- Might as well draft a young C prospect, can't hurt

4- YES, WE NEED A BETTER back up QB. Rookie, hmmm...maybe, but a crafty veteran that has some mileage and knowledge might be more useful at back up and would play as a back up for lower pay.

5- gotta find a way to give the guys you listed what they want, without them we are in trouble.

6- Bye DD, you are a true packer legend and will be missed.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Article today seems to point out that Finley is now in the good graces of the coaches. But is he with Rogers?? If Woodson accepts a cut he'll be back. If Tramon's problem is the nerve damage in his shoulder, and it's not getting any better, he'll be let go. Nobody outside the organization gives any insight to injuries. BTW, Rogers' knee and ankle injuries are a direct result of 51 sacks and hundreds of hits. The offensive line is priority no. 1 imo. Campen has had 9 years working with the offensive line, 6 as offensive line coach. TT has drafted 15 offensive linemen, 11 of which are playing in the NFL (6 with the Packers). I think someone should have been able to put together 5 of them as a dominant line by this point.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Article today seems to point out that Finley is now in the good graces of the coaches. But is he with Rogers?? If Woodson accepts a cut he'll be back. If Tramon's problem is the nerve damage in his shoulder, and it's not getting any better, he'll be let go. Nobody outside the organization gives any insight to injuries. BTW, Rogers' knee and ankle injuries are a direct result of 51 sacks and hundreds of hits. The offensive line is priority no. 1 imo. Campen has had 9 years working with the offensive line, 6 as offensive line coach. TT has drafted 15 offensive linemen, 11 of which are playing in the NFL (6 with the Packers). I think someone should have been able to put together 5 of them as a dominant line by this point.

Rodgers is at direct fault for a good portion of those sacks. You can't hold the ball longer than every other QB and not expect to take sacks

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Fontenot says he hopes to see Fin for a long time

Capers has said he likes both Wood and Hawk

We'll see if they re-sign him, because if they do, it will be as the starter. No confidence in GVR though, so backup plz

Backup QB really depends more on Coleman than Harrell. That being said expect at least one more camp body. MM likes to have 4 guys in camp.

Add Burnett and Neal.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers is at direct fault for a good portion of those sacks. You can't hold the ball longer than every other QB and not expect to take sacks

Yes, I've seen this criticism of Rogers. I've never seen a stat that reflects the time between the snap and when the rush affects the QB, but Football Outsiders compiles sack times (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/under-pressure/2011/under-pressure-standard-sack-deviation). For the 3 years 2009 through 2011 Rogers was sacked 109 times for a sack rate of 7.17%. Average time to sack was 3.1 sec. During the same period Tom Brady was sacked 61 times, a rate of 2.7% and had AN AVERAGE TIME OF 3.1 SEC., IDENTICAL TO ROGERS'. So, over that 3 year period the numbers would indicate that the problem is not Rogers holding the ball too long. And if you add to this the pathetic run game, it seems to me the problem is the line, not Rogers.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, I've seen this criticism of Rogers. I've never seen a stat that reflects the time between the snap and when the rush affects the QB, but Football Outsiders compiles sack times (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/under-pressure/2011/under-pressure-standard-sack-deviation). For the 3 years 2009 through 2011 Rogers was sacked 109 times for a sack rate of 7.17%. Average time to sack was 3.1 sec. During the same period Tom Brady was sacked 61 times, a rate of 2.7% and had AN AVERAGE TIME OF 3.1 SEC., IDENTICAL TO ROGERS'. So, over that 3 year period the numbers would indicate that the problem is not Rogers holding the ball too long. And if you add to this the pathetic run game, it seems to me the problem is the line, not Rogers.

Umm wouldn't this support the fact that Rodgers holds the ball too long, and lend credence to the fact that the offensive line hasn’t been that bad.

If Rodgers and Brady have approximately the same amount of time before they get sacked which is 3.1 seconds… Wouldn’t this mean that when 3.1 seconds is up Brady has gotten rid of the ball 97.3% and Rodgers only 92.83% of the time. Just saying…

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Umm wouldn't this support the fact that Rodgers holds the ball too long, and lend credence to the fact that the offensive line hasn’t been that bad.

If Rodgers and Brady have approximately the same amount of time before they get sacked which is 3.1 seconds… Wouldn’t this mean that when 3.1 seconds is up Brady has gotten rid of the ball 97.3% and Rodgers only 92.83% of the time. Just saying…
Interesting thought, but it could also be that Rogers is running for his life 4.5% of the time within 2 sec. before getting sacked. Brady is about as close to a statue as you can get at QB. A good statue, for sure.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts