49ers -- NFCCG (who'da thunk these 2 teams in August)

TexasCheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was way later than mid season when the analysts started picking 49ers as Super Bowl favorites. That didn’t happen until the ravens were knocked out. At the end of the season they weren’t even picking the 49ers to win the NFC. That didn’t happen until they clobbered the Vikings. Until near mid season, many of the analysts were still calling the 49ers “pretenders” because they hadn’t played anyone good.

As for Jimmy Garoppolo being a game manager, the Saints put up 46 points against the 49ers, and ‘game managed’ 48 points, a 74% completion percentage, 349 yards, 4 TD’s and an INT. The 49ers run a lot but that doesn’t mean Jimmy Garoppolo isn’t a threat in the air.

But you are correct that he needs to protect the ball more, especially in the first half of the season (he’s gotten better). IMO if the 49ers lose it means the Packers O-line held up and Jimmy turned the ball over couple of times or more. So I agree with you on that point.

i said contenders, as in to make it to the superbowl, not favorites to win it though.

Basically to me the richard sherman "keep picking against us" routine that San Fran is running is getting tired. They have a strong team, they are healthy now and the narrative they are pushing is 1) everyone disrespecting Garoppolo vs Rodgers and 2) SanFran is the underdog. They are not, They are playing peak football, and are home with rest after a 1st round bye and what, like 40-45 defensive snaps last week against minny?

I mean year he did well against New Orleans ( and arizona ) so his 2 best games he showed some major spark, i agree....but id rather it be on him to win the game, i think he would crumble if he has to make reads and pick apart a defense. he is a "game manager", and if he has to take control and win it i like our odds, break up his routine he has to have a best game of season stat line. Again, only my opinion.

CheeseNwine

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry, it was just a clip on ESPN, don't have a link. As longtimefan pointed out, basically what he said was:

"We Hear the talk that Rodgers is superior..it's BS. Rodgers is a hof but we trust number 10".

So they are trying to make something out of it. That statement didn't make much sense to me, if they think Rodgers is a Hall of Famer, why are they upset that he is considered better than Garoppollo? Unless they're saying Garoppollo is a shoe in for HOF also. Which maybe he will be, but it's too early in his career to draw conclusions on that IMO.

I’ll just have to see it for myself before I buy into the characterization.
Sorry, it was just a clip on ESPN, don't have a link. As longtimefan pointed out, basically what he said was:

"We Hear the talk that Rodgers is superior..it's BS. Rodgers is a hof but we trust number 10".

So they are trying to make something out of it. That statement didn't make much sense to me, if they think Rodgers is a Hall of Famer, why are they upset that he is considered better than Garoppollo? Unless they're saying Garoppollo is a shoe in for HOF also. Which maybe he will be, but it's too early in his career to draw conclusions on that IMO.

It’s the “It’s BS” characterization I will have to see for myself before I believe. I can totally see them saying something to the effect of, “everyone is talking about Aaron Rodgers but our quarterback is really good as well.“

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

It’s the “It’s BS” characterization I will have to see for myself before I believe. I can totally see them saying something to the effect of, “everyone is talking about Aaron Rodgers but our quarterback is really good as well.“
I don't care he said it..

But he seemed very irratated over it all

CheeseNwine

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i said contenders, as in to make it to the superbowl, not favorites to win it though.

Basically to me the richard sherman "keep picking against us" routine that San Fran is running is getting tired. They have a strong team, they are healthy now and the narrative they are pushing is 1) everyone disrespecting Garoppolo vs Rodgers and 2) SanFran is the underdog. They are not, They are playing peak football, and are home with rest after a 1st round bye and what, like 40-45 defensive snaps last week against minny?

I mean year he did well against New Orleans ( and arizona ) so his 2 best games he showed some major spark, i agree....but id rather it be on him to win the game, i think he would crumble if he has to make reads and pick apart a defense. he is a "game manager", and if he has to take control and win it i like our odds, break up his routine he has to have a best game of season stat line. Again, only my opinion.

That fair. I don’t remember what week it was, but the 49ers went A LOT - 0 before people in the media quit asking if they are pretenders. In fairness, the first half of the schedule was weak and that played into it.

But yeah, somewhere around mid to late season people started taking them seriously.

I think Sherman just likes fodder to get the guys riled up. Truth be told, I’m glad he’s on my team but I still don’t like his mouth sometimes.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Such a great day for another Packer victory! I'm getting more confident as we get closer to kickoff that GB has an offensive game plan to beat the 49ers aggressive D line. I also think our D front 5 can get to Jimmy G enough to force some bad throws...just hope our d-backs can hang onto them & give the ball back to AR.

Going on record: Titans vs. Packers Superbowl LIV

Last edited:

TexasCheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That fair. I don’t remember what week it was, but the 49ers went A LOT - 0 before people in the media quit asking if they are pretenders. In fairness, the first half of the schedule was weak and that played into it.

But yeah, somewhere around mid to late season people started taking them seriously.

I think Sherman just likes fodder to get the guys riled up. Truth be told, I’m glad he’s on my team but I still don’t like his mouth sometimes.

what font size did you change it to in my reply/quote? 200? :laugh: looks like i yelled it at you lol

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

CheeseNwine

Cheesehead
Reaction score

After hearing it, I’d say it’s somewhere in between what you said and I thought it likely was. Nothing remotely like “it’s BS.“ but also a little further than he is good “as well.” It was “he’s as good as anyone out there.“

Anyway, my opinion it’s a nothing burger. He was talking up his own teammate, and he acknowledged Aaron Rodgers as a future Hall of Famer.

THANK YOU for posting that, by the way.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
After hearing it, I’d say it’s somewhere in between what you said and I thought it likely was. Nothing remotely like “it’s BS.“ but also a little further than he is good “as well.” It was “he’s as good as anyone out there.“

Anyway, my opinion it’s a nothing burger. He was talking up his own teammate, and he acknowledged Aaron Rodgers as a future Hall of Famer.

THANK YOU for posting that, by the way.
He did say bull ****

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Hold up folks, change of opponent tonight, we're playing my Home town team at proper football

'Mon the Dons

this was actually broadcast by sky sports, just coincidence that it's my team

Sky King

Reaction score
Such a great day for another Packer victory! I'm getting more confident as we get closer to kickoff that GB has an offensive game plan to beat the 49ers aggressive D line. I also think our D front 5 can get to Jimmy G enough to force some bad throws...just hope our d-backs can hang onto them & give the ball back to AR.

Going on record: Titans vs. Packers Superbowl LIV
An entertaining game that's now at the half. Tennessee is methodical and the Chiefs are the more explosive team. Either team and its style of play are going to be a very tough out for the winner of the GB-SF game.

EWright21

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's definitely going to be a struggle for whoever wins tonight against the AFC representative. Good luck and here's to a great game with no serious injuries.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
An entertaining game that's now at the half. Tennessee is methodical and the Chiefs are the more explosive team. Either team and its style of play are going to be a very tough out for the winner of the GB-SF game.
KC's defense doesn't scare me, and Tennessee is pretty much lesser talented version of The Vikings. I fear neither of them. But first things first in dealing with San Fran. However I think if we get past them, then I don't see anyone beating us.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like Jordy is in the house!

JimWB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This may be the best chance for the Pack, at least for this quarterback era. It's looking like the young athetics qbs are the future. Brees, Brady, and Rodgers are probably done.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This may be the best chance for the Pack, at least for this quarterback era. It's looking like the young athetics qbs are the future. Brees, Brady, and Rodgers are probably done.
Age has caught-up to two of them, one still has some gas left. ;)

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The game is going to come down to how well the Packers can protect Aaron Rodgers. For the Packers to have a chance, the offensive line needs to hold up. It’s a tall order against the 49ers front four, but no doubt they have been preparing and trying to get ready like never before.

Let’s see what happens
Even if they protect well they have to get some separation. The 9ers Lbs and secondary cover so tight and are so fast that eventually Rodgers has to act or he Will get sacked.

Albert Park

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Hold up folks, change of opponent tonight, we're playing my Home town team at proper football

'Mon the Dons

this was actually broadcast by sky sports, just coincidence that it's my team
How the hell did they manage to mess that up? It’s not even the same sport.