49ers -- NFCCG (who'da thunk these 2 teams in August)

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Damn it, I forgot about him holding on extra points as well. In that case I hope he has to get on the field in those situations a ton ;)

An 8/2 split would work! But yeah if he has to punt 10 times we're pretty screwed.

D

Deleted member 6794

I have a vague recollection of Crosby being the designated emergency punter several years ago but not used at that time.

That would make sense although Crosby hasn't attempted a punt since his senior season in college when he hit a single one for 43 yards.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Scott is going to play. I have little doubt about that. If they really felt like he was in any danger of not playing I'm certain they would have had an emergency plan to bring in a punter off the street.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last 25 years no 2 teams have played more playoff games (Edit, AGAINST EACH OTHER) than the Packers and 49ers.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

7th meeting in that span, correct?

The only NFC team I cannot recall the Packers facing since or during the 90s is the Saints.

Today will be the eighth playoff game between the Packers and Niners from 1995-2019.

The Packers have actually never faced the Saints in the playoffs while having played against every other NFC team in the postseason at least once since 1993.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
7th meeting in that span, correct?

The only NFC team I cannot recall the Packers facing since or during the 90s is the Saints.

That's pretty crazy considering
1)how good both teams (Packers and Saints) have been the last 10 years
2)that's a lot of teams we've faced!

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just saw on ESPN 49ers OL Mike McGlinchey saying they resented that Rodgers was considered better than Garoppollo. So they must be making that some sort of locker room talking point.

Amazing the way the 49ers are being picked to win almost universally, but they still find ways to feel slighted about it.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just saw on ESPN 49ers OL Mike McGlinchey saying they resented that Rodgers was considered better than Garoppollo. So they must be making that some sort of locker room talking point.

Amazing the way the 49ers are being picked to win almost universally, but they still find ways to feel slighted about it.
Anything to stay motivated I suppose. Besides we've heard reports that some of them are really trying their best not to look past this game on their way to the Superbowl. So that just comes to tell you how little they think of us. I hope we punch them in the mouth and beat them decisively.

CheeseNwine

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well I've just read over 17 pages in this thread, along with reading over a lot of Seattle and San Fran boards. We are, as everyone already knows, heavy underdogs by EVERYONE. Oh and every team blames the refs favoritism for the other team ( apparently Seattle is the worst in the league at getting calls in their favor).

My 2 cents on this game is i cant believe we rallied and pulled off this amazing season with a new coach, new offense and missing so many critical personnel-yet we keep winning. I am very worried about Blake Martinez and the overwhelming use of San Fran's middle of the field short passing game. Worried that they throw the secondary at Adams and no one steps up to become a threat while DLine tee's off on Rodgers. The 49ers are a very good team right now....BUTthey are playing victim though and pretend they haven't been favored to be a superbowl contender since midway through the season. I hope the hidden over confidence hurts them and this turns into a sort of trap game. At any rate this IS NOT the same team that went into Levi stadium in November. Lessons learned and i hope we can expose the weakest parts of that team, I've never been sold on Jimmy G, hes a game manager and if we pressure him and take away his bread and butter he'll throw a couple of picks forcing the ball to Kittle. I think that is the game changer. Only other thing i have to say is stop with the "nope" replies to score posts, that got annoying after the 3rd time you posted it.

It was way later than mid season when the analysts started picking 49ers as Super Bowl favorites. That didn’t happen until the ravens were knocked out. At the end of the season they weren’t even picking the 49ers to win the NFC. That didn’t happen until they clobbered the Vikings. Until near mid season, many of the analysts were still calling the 49ers “pretenders” because they hadn’t played anyone good.

As for Jimmy Garoppolo being a game manager, the Saints put up 46 points against the 49ers, and ‘game managed’ 48 points, a 74% completion percentage, 349 yards, 4 TD’s and an INT. The 49ers run a lot but that doesn’t mean Jimmy Garoppolo isn’t a threat in the air.

But you are correct that he needs to protect the ball more, especially in the first half of the season (he’s gotten better). IMO if the 49ers lose it means the Packers O-line held up and Jimmy turned the ball over couple of times or more. So I agree with you on that point.

CheeseNwine

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Do you have a link to that interview? I just looked for it and couldn’t find it.

H

HardRightEdge

There are some interesting stats in this ESPN piece:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...know-green-bay-packers-vs-san-francisco-49ers

To wit:

"The 49ers, meanwhile, have recorded a sack on 17.3% of dropbacks with both Nick Bosa and Dee Ford on the field and just 5.7% with either or both off. The NFL average sack rate is 6.5%."

Ford's been on a limited snap count all season with an array of leg issues, knee tendonitis, irritation of a quadriceps and a torn groin dating back to 2018, and most recently reported as quadriceps/hamstring. After Week 1, his highest snap count was 27. It was 22 last week after having been out since Week 11 except for 4 snaps. I would expect that limited snap count to continue in passing down rotation.

At the same time, it is interesting to note that according to pro-football-reference, Bosa has participated in only 1 blitz rush all season on 802 snaps; Ford in only 6 blitz rushes on 232 snaps, perhaps when Bosa is taking a blow.

Given the 49ers' below average sack rate when Ford is not on the field, and the fact they don't blitz much, practically never when Bosa is on the field, some options present themselves. If SF opens the game with a 1st. down run look with Ford on the bench, the presumed default, I'd go counter-tendency right off the bat. With the stats indicating time to throw, I wouldn't even bother with play action. Motion Jones wide to an empty backfield; you might get him on a LB. If they bring a safety up, take the downfield shot. The perimeter corner opposite Sherman has been a trouble spot. Get them off-balance right out of the box with an unexpected look. And if it works, keep going back to it until they adjust.

Sky King

Reaction score
From another thread:

One of several articles that virtually bypass today's game. I love these types of articles. They're already going to be playing two weeks from now according to the media's ear-tickling narrative and hopefully, some of that entitlement mentality has sufficiently rubbed off on the 49er team just as it apparently has on a great deal of its fan base:

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/super-bowl-49ers-lose-after-titans-nfl-playoff-upset-ravens

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/01/05/the-49ers-now-have-a-gold-paved-path-to-the-super-bowl/

https://clutchpoints.com/4-reasons-the-san-francisco-49ers-will-win-the-super-bowl/

Golden path? I guess it gold paved path about sums it up, per these articles. The Packers might as well throw in the towel. :coffee:

D

Deleted member 6794

As for Jimmy Garoppolo being a game manager, the Saints put up 46 points against the 49ers, and ‘game managed’ 48 points, a 74% completion percentage, 349 yards, 4 TD’s and an INT. The 49ers run a lot but that doesn’t mean Jimmy Garoppolo isn’t a threat in the air.

To be fair, that was Garropolo's best game of the season. If he puts up similar numbers tonight the Niners will definitely win the game.

I don't expect him to come anywhere close though.

CheeseNwine

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be fair, that was Garropolo's best game of the season. If he puts up similar numbers tonight the Niners will definitely win the game.

I don't expect him to come anywhere close though.

Oh I don’t expect it, either. That was just a situation that forced the 49ers hand, and made them have to air it out. The point is when called upon he can definitely sling some guns in a shoot out. He’s no Aaron Rodgers, but this is his first year starting a full season.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That’s quite different than him saying they resent that Rogers is considered better than Garoppolo. That would be very out of character.
Sorry, it was just a clip on ESPN, don't have a link. As longtimefan pointed out, basically what he said was:

"We Hear the talk that Rodgers is superior..it's BS. Rodgers is a hof but we trust number 10".

So they are trying to make something out of it. That statement didn't make much sense to me, if they think Rodgers is a Hall of Famer, why are they upset that he is considered better than Garoppollo? Unless they're saying Garoppollo is a shoe in for HOF also. Which maybe he will be, but it's too early in his career to draw conclusions on that IMO.

H

HardRightEdge

Just saw on ESPN 49ers OL Mike McGlinchey saying they resented that Rodgers was considered better than Garoppollo.
I don't know why he'd be upset with his head coach saying, "There’s probably not anybody on the planet who throws better than [Rodgers].” ;)

Buttering up the opposition aside, McGlinchey evidently does not understand the habits of the chattering class and how the news cycle works. He's young. Of course there's a lesson for fans who take the media too seriously (or seriously at all).

If McGlinchey's guy and his team plays well and goes on to the Super Bowl, it won't take long past 9:30 PM EST for the story line to be the long awaited ascendency of the new guard supplanting the HOF cadre of Brady, Brees, Roethlisberger and Rodgers. So many pretenders have fallen by the wayside, but not it is finally here, will be the patter. If it's the other way around, it will be "Rodgers is back!" (as though he ever went anywhere) and Garoppolo will go back down the list of leaders of the new breed.

After the Super Bowl we'll get another story line and post-game news cycle depending on the outcome.

None of the media types who were wrong will care to recall what they actually said before the game and, tellingly, few others care to fact check. Fox NFL Sunday has won 4 Emmys since 2014. Contrast that with those "expert" HOFer and ex-coach pick records flashed on the screen, all 0.500 records, give or take by small margins, and below 0.500 in the aggregate. That's not even against the spread. They're worse than a coin flip. You could do better blindly picking the favorite in every game.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

Oh I don’t expect it, either. That was just a situation that forced the 49ers hand, and made them have to air it out. The point is when called upon he can definitely sling some guns in a shoot out. He’s no Aaron Rodgers, but this is his first year starting a full season.

I truly believe that the Niners don't want to have to rely on Garropolo winning the game for them. While he might be capable of doing it I like our chances if he really has to.

H

HardRightEdge

Anything to stay motivated I suppose.
Or is it reaching for something?

When in comes to locker room bulletin board material, stuff coming from a bunch of random guys on the internet is pretty thin gruel. If it came from the other locker room, particularly a guy who's lined up right across from you, that's a different matter.

It's pretty simple. Garoppolo wins football games and has since he played in relief of Brady. Rodgers has been winning football games this season that, purportedly, he shouldn't have being "ugly" and all.

There you have it. Two winners going head to head, the news cycle be d*mned.

Enough of that. It's nearly time to go see who the other Super Bowl team will be. I hope it's a well played game. Watching messy football is pretty much a wast of time.

Members online

Latest posts