2024 Round 7, pick 245: Michael Pratt, QB

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lots to like, esp his TD/INT ratio. Not the biggest thrower, but seems to be sensible decision maker. Good prospect to develop.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought he was one of the better QB's throwing in the drills at the combine
I liked him better than Rattler…and Milton and both went before him. Crazy he fell this far…literally don’t get it

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This could be a 3rd and possibly even 2nd round pick coming to us in about 26 in 27.

Terrific investment; he has the classic build for an NFL QB (6'4", 225), and an RAS of 8.22. He's a smart player (TD/INT ratio is 3.5:1), with the right touch for short, intermediate, and long passes. I've watched a lot of his tape, and his effective maximum range at this stage appears to be 45-50 yards, but he seems to have a sort of awkward release, and his arm strength is not NFL-level. He doesn't have the velocity to reliably complete deep passes in the NFL. Some scouts also say that he processes the game too slowly sometimes for the NFL, missing reads and losing track of DBs, and his footwork is inconsistent.

But he's a tough kid, keeps cool and doesn't rattle in the pocket, and it appears that everything that may have caused him to slide all the way to Brock Purdy territory is fixable, with good quarterback coaching (Tom Clements, for example). He'll never have a Michael Penix arm, but we'll fix his release and his footwork, and he'll have a lot more arm strength and better deep ball in a couple of years. This is a prospect who could not possibly have been drafted by a more perfect NFL club; when he answered that phone call, he must have felt like he won the Powerball.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I liked him better than Rattler…and Milton and both went before him. Crazy he fell this far…literally don’t get it
Could it be that there aren't that many teams who could afford to spend a couple of years developing him and getting him up the NFL level? Because I can't see many teams trusting him right now to start in the immediate future.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Could it be that there aren't that many teams who could afford to spend a couple of years developing him and getting him up the NFL level? Because I can't see many teams trusting him right now to start in the immediate future.
Oh I think that and his inability to feel the pocket. But I’m telling you this guy can make passes, pinpoint throws and read defenses. If he grows he will be a trade bait candidate in year three

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know... silly as I feel saying this about a guy who hopefully never plays a meaningful snap as a Packer, this is one of the most exciting picks of the weekend for me. Tremendous value, we're so fortunate to have the luxury to pick him and develop him.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow... brought a tear, his dad going over and hugging him...

Sounds like every one of those people knew full well that this was the best team in the NFL by far for him to go to. He seems very happy.

"Well... get your jackets... we're going to Green Bay"

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Why He Will Succeed: The traits that had many analysts regarding him as a top 100 talent blossom in Green Bay, making Pratt a valuable backup and possible trade chip.

Why He Would Fail: Pratt's lack of arm talent and precision cap his ceiling at QB3.

My Guess: I would guess that Pratt and Clifford both make the roster and continue developing. I don't necessarily think it will be for premium capital, but I would bet that one or the other gets traded at some point.

Upside Comp: Colt McCoy

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While reading some of the evaluations, I started thinking Ty Detmer. That would not be half bad.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While reading some of the evaluations, I started thinking Ty Detmer. That would not be half bad.
I've watched several hours of this guy, and while yes, many of them tend to be highlight reels (so they're obviously biased), the basic tool set is there, and it's impressive. Watching actual game tape, you see the warts and all, and yeah - the flaws are there. But as long as a player has the basic tools, the raw material is there too, and that's something that NFL-level coaches like Clements, Vrable, and now Mannion too are there to develop. And build upon.

I'm not saying he's a future hall of famer, by any means. But quarterbacks with similar toolboxes as Pratt have had very good NFL careers, and even won Super Bowls. 2-3 years of development, and then trade him to the right club, this guy could have a very good future.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
May the spirit of Philip Rivers fill him with **** and vinegar.

Members online