2024 Clusters

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Max Melton would help the team immediately on special teams, also. 4 career blocked punts, and excelled as a gunner. Being Bo's brother is a nice story, but in all reality, he's a difference maker when on the field.
We missed when taking the wrong St Brown brother. Have both Meltons and you can't miss getting the better one.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's an idea that prioritizes the OL:

1.25: G. Barton, OL, Duke-- I have wondered if the Packers would take Barton, as they virtually never draft iOL in the first round. However, they may see him as having legit ability to play tackle even if that isn't where he ultimately slots in. He would give them immediate depth at tackle, competition at RG, and a succession plan at center.

2.41: C. Bishop, S, Utah-- I think draft day and the closer leadup to the draft will reveal that the media had this safety class all wrong. They've mocked Nubin, Kinchens, Bullard, and Bullock at the top, but I suspect that Bishop, Hicks, and maybe Taylor-Demerson will be the most highly sought after players. Bishop is the best SS on the roster from day one. If the Packers had the choice of him or Hicks and took the latter, I'd be all for that too.

2.58: M. Melton, CB, Rutgers-- The Packers could use more depth/competition outside, but they also only have one guy cut out for the slot. Ideally, they would find an inside/outside versatile corner like Melton or Phillips. Melton is a great athlete, he has adequate size (5'11" 187#), he's been under strong coaching (Schiano), he played inside and out, he has a ton of production (22 PBU, 8 INT over last 3 seasons), and he isn't quite 22 yet. He pushes Nixon in the slot and gives them depth on the outside.

3.88: B. Fisher, OL, Notre Dame-- Fisher profiles as a Packer and, though overshadowed by Alt at Notre Dame, has been a very good starter for the Irish at both left and right tackle. He probably has some position flex on the interior, but I think his height makes tackle his best long-term home. The Packers need immediate depth on both sides and some competition for Walker. I was tempted to go Dominick Puni here, whom I really like, but he's already 24 years old.

3.91: C. Gray, LB, North Carolina-- There are mixed reviews on Gray's ability to handle blockers in the running game, but he's a good athlete with plenty of size for this era of football who I think could become a well-rounded starter. Gutekunst recently talked about the Weak/Strong, Mike/Will designations not mattering so much anymore-- they just need two primary players who can handle multiple roles. In time, that to me is Gray.

4.126: W. Shipley, RB, Clemson-- With Jacobs providing the foundation of the running game and Dillon back to add an interior rush element plus pass pro abilities, the Packers need to fill out the room with some speed/juice. Shipley brings that dynamic to the table, being a very similar tester to Aaron Jones. He's a strong pass catcher who can break the longer run.

5.169: E. Ulofoshio, LB, Washington-- In a weaker LB class, it may be worthwhile to add multiples to the room. Ulofoshio is a little short and old, but overall a good athlete who had a productive career for the Huskies. He's been pretty overlooked this draft cycle and I'm not too sure why that is. I think both him and Gray would be the immediate backups on defense, while Welch and/or Wilson hold down the primary ST roles.

6.202: G. Greenfield, OL, South Dakota State-- Another older, 6th year player, but who offers inside/out versatility and nearly checks all of the Packers' boxes (a little slow for them on the SS).

6.219: C. Johnson, DE, Mississippi-- Athlete to develop and add competition to the back of the position group.

7.245: R. Watts, S, Texas-- Crazy athlete but underperformer at cornerback. Texas had him miscast. He's almost 6'3" and he weighed in at 208#. Try him at safety and see if you stole a good player.

7.255: T. Knox, HB, South Carolina-- Knox is 6'3" 240# and not a good enough athlete to try and hack it at TE, but he did a lot of lead blocking for the Gamecocks and might add a dimension as an H-back.

One thing I like about this scenario is that the first 6 selections are all 21 years old. You have to check ages in this era with the stupid covid year.
I wonder if it is in the realm of possibility to flip picks 25 and 41 and take DeJean at 25 to address our need at safety and whether Barton would still be there to take a 41? Maybe I'm dreaming too much. Take that along with your other picks there and what a haul that would be for the Packers. I'm way high on the Melton and Fisher picks and Shipley too. Gray I don't know much about.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And if Barton isn't available at 41 maybe Jackson-Powers would be. He was a sure 1st round but his stock has dropped after the Combine.

If they're both gone, I like Zach Frazier at 41, but i seem to be in the minority. I only saw him in one game but he was a bulldog at center just pushing ppl off the LOS.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just a question cause I don't know. Is it really important for a guard to be a certain height with a certain or longer length of arms? I would think strength and a capacity to block on the line and then get to the second level effectively would be more important. To say "he isn't our kind of player" seems pretty limiting. And to say "we just want to put our best 5 out there" is ridiculous imo. If a tackle is good and worth more as a player; it doesn't mean he plays guard better than another.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just a question cause I don't know. Is it really important for a guard to be a certain height with a certain or longer length of arms? I would think strength and a capacity to block on the line and then get to the second level effectively would be more important. To say "he isn't our kind of player" seems pretty limiting. And to say "we just want to put our best 5 out there" is ridiculous imo. If a tackle is good and worth more as a player; it doesn't mean he plays guard better than another.

Fact is a guy like Cooper simply isn’t a Packer type, that doesn’t mean he isn’t a good player. Tendencies for GB lean towards tackle built types or guys that are tackles with sub 34 inch arms transitioning to guard play out better than drafting a short armed fatter built pure guard and expect them to excel at next level.

A guy like Christian Mahogany or Zak Zinter will get a longer look at guard by GB cuz their measureables far exceed the others. Beebe is oober athletic for his other measurements being far inferior though…and while I don’t think GB would use a second rounder on him…third rounder they loosen their types sometimes more.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And if Barton isn't available at 41 maybe Jackson-Powers would be. He was a sure 1st round but his stock has dropped after the Combine.

If they're both gone, I like Zach Frazier at 41, but i seem to be in the minority. I only saw him in one game but he was a bulldog at center just pushing ppl off the LOS.

I don’t oppose the idea that Frazier is likely the second best pure center…but that’s the issue, I am not a fan of targeting a pure center unless it is a year where you HAVE to have one.

Myers is at times our worst starter but is a starting level center and will be there this final year of his contract. Unless we plan on moving him in a trade, I am just opposed to a Frazier.

Now JPJ or Beaux Limmer or Sundell who all have versatility proven to not just be centers I could easily see GB go that route

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fact is a guy like Cooper simply isn’t a Packer type, that doesn’t mean he isn’t a good player. Tendencies for GB lean towards tackle built types or guys that are tackles with sub 34 inch arms transitioning to guard play out better than drafting a short armed fatter built pure guard and expect them to excel at next level.

A guy like Christian Mahogany or Zak Zinter will get a longer look at guard by GB cuz their measureables far exceed the others. Beebe is oober athletic for his other measurements being far inferior though…and while I don’t think GB would use a second rounder on him…third rounder they loosen their types sometimes more.
I just think it is very limiting not to look at pure guards. I wasn't referring to Cooper as I don't know anything about him. But wanting someone to be able to cover at tackle from guard, and using that as a criterion for a draft pick; isn't getting what you really need. Probably a step or a half step down. Most likely the same for the other way around. So I think we need another tackle and two on the inside is what we should draft. And I would go with better guard first (if available). If we have to carry an extra lineman; so be it. But these days it seems to be easier to protect someone on the reserve list. And also to bring them up for games when needed.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Here's a guy that I've become more familiar with recently who has Packer written all over him: Brandon Coleman, OL, TCU

-6044, 313#, 34.6" arms
-9.97 overall RAS
-4.62 in the SS and 7.40 in the 3 Cone
-Should still be 22 years old based on when he came out of high school.
-Grew up in Europe in a military family and didn't start football until he was a junior in high school.
-Played sparingly as a RSFR in 2020, started at LG in 2021, started at LT in 2022 and most of 2023 (some snaps at LG).
-The two best OL guys in the media-- Lance Zierlein and Brandon Thorn-- have him graded in the ~4th round range, but see him very differently; Thorn believes much more strongly in Coleman as a run-blocker.

In terms of size, experience, and movement skills Coleman is smack dab in the middle of the typical GB preferences. I would guess he's getting looks in the 3rd round given how later their picks are.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's a guy that I've become more familiar with recently who has Packer written all over him: Brandon Coleman, OL, TCU

-6044, 313#, 34.6" arms
-9.97 overall RAS
-4.62 in the SS and 7.40 in the 3 Cone
-Should still be 22 years old based on when he came out of high school.
-Grew up in Europe in a military family and didn't start football until he was a junior in high school.
-Played sparingly as a RSFR in 2020, started at LG in 2021, started at LT in 2022 and most of 2023 (some snaps at LG).
-The two best OL guys in the media-- Lance Zierlein and Brandon Thorn-- have him graded in the ~4th round range, but see him very differently; Thorn believes much more strongly in Coleman as a run-blocker.

In terms of size, experience, and movement skills Coleman is smack dab in the middle of the typical GB preferences. I would guess he's getting looks in the 3rd round given how later their picks are.
Yup...two names of OTs in this draft to me that fit the Packer type to a "T" are Brandon Coleman and Roger Rosengarten.

Both are capable Tackles I feel, BUT Rosengarten with just a hair shorter arms and hands could be a direction they lean for that OT to OG journey we like to take lineman on...where as I see Coleman as every bit capable of being a swing LT/RT for us.

*Julian Pearl is another OT from Illinois that I suspect is going to test well enough and has the age, size and lengths GB typically targets...if he gets a RAS of at least 7.00 I would for sure keep him in mind Day3

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I opted for Rosengarten in my mock. Coleman is the better athlete - maybe the most athletic OL in the draft. However Rosengarten has the better attitude. More aggressive and competitive, while still being very athletic himself. I think he will be the better pro for that reason. But if Rosengarten is gone - I wouldn't hesitate at taking a swing at Coleman.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I don’t oppose the idea that Frazier is likely the second best pure center…but that’s the issue, I am not a fan of targeting a pure center unless it is a year where you HAVE to have one.

Myers is at times our worst starter but is a starting level center and will be there this final year of his contract. Unless we plan on moving him in a trade, I am just opposed to a Frazier.

Now JPJ or Beaux Limmer or Sundell who all have versatility proven to not just be centers I could easily see GB go that route
Frazier won 4 state wrestling titles and lost like 2 matches his entire career. I think he could figure out how to play guard.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
My 2 cents: there is nothing in Frazier's profile that would suggest he can't play guard and he started off his career there at WVU.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I opted for Rosengarten in my mock. Coleman is the better athlete - maybe the most athletic OL in the draft. However Rosengarten has the better attitude. More aggressive and competitive, while still being very athletic himself. I think he will be the better pro for that reason. But if Rosengarten is gone - I wouldn't hesitate at taking a swing at Coleman.

I think Rosengarten is the all-around better prospect. It's probably not close, actually. I've getting the indication that NFL teams have him rated really high.

One thing I do like more about Coleman, though, is that I think he could legitimately move inside. I'm not sure whether or not I see that from Rosengarten.

edensmage

Cheesehead
Reaction score
-Graham Barton, OL/C, Duke
-Byron Murphy, DT, Texas
-Chop Robinson, DE, Penn State
-Edgerrin Cooper, LB, Texas AM
-Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
-Cooper DeJean, DB, Iowa
Ballsy. Cooper in Rd 1 huh? I've pointed out how I think it's possible the Packers agree based on how he stacks up against Walker, but he's very fringe for me. Same with KoolAid. I don't think KA's RAS is strong enough to justify a round 1 selection on him. However, I like this post a lot.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Ballsy. Cooper in Rd 1 huh? I've pointed out how I think it's possible the Packers agree based on how he stacks up against Walker, but he's very fringe for me. Same with KoolAid. I don't think KA's RAS is strong enough to justify a round 1 selection on him. However, I like this post a lot.

Think about the following regarding Cooper:

1) He’s the best off ball linebacker in this class and the drop off to #2 is really big.

2) He’s a 9.10 RAS guy, so definitely athletic enough.

3) He had huge production last year in the SEC. His best game in college came against Alabama.

4) He’s not a one year wonder— he was very good in 2022.

5) He’s not overaged; he turns 23 during his rookie year. That’s not particularly young, but in this covid era, it’s not bad.

6) He has man skills and length.

7) The Packers have a clear need at the position.

For those reasons, I could see Cooper going much earlier than he’s viewed. And I think he deserves to.

edensmage

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Think about the following regarding Cooper:

1) He’s the best off ball linebacker in this class and the drop off to #2 is really big.

2) He’s a 9.10 RAS guy, so definitely athletic enough.

3) He had huge production last year in the SEC. His best game in college came against Alabama.

4) He’s not a one year wonder— he was very good in 2022.

5) He’s not overaged; he turns 23 during his rookie year. That’s not particularly young, but in this covid era, it’s not bad.

6) He has man skills and length.

7) The Packers have a clear need at the position.

For those reasons, I could see Cooper going much earlier than he’s viewed. And I think he deserves to.
Hey, I love Edge! You won't get a strong argument for me. If I'm being honest, based on the prospects I would like to draft, it could only go that way IF we took Edge @ 25. So I'm all on board.
However, if Dejean, Nate, or one of the top CB's/OL fall, that could be the only other options I see going before. I think that opens up the scenario where we draft at 25 and then trade back up into the early second for Edge. I think they want him, and know they need him to improve at that position next year.

The two guys I feel the most confident this year of being a Packer are Edge and Bishop.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Hey, I love Edge! You won't get a strong argument for me. If I'm being honest, based on the prospects I would like to draft, it could only go that way IF we took Edge @ 25. So I'm all on board.
However, if Dejean, Nate, or one of the top CB's/OL fall, that could be the only other options I see going before. I think that opens up the scenario where we draft at 25 and then trade back up into the early second for Edge. I think they want him, and know they need him to improve at that position next year.

The two guys I feel the most confident this year of being a Packer are Edge and Bishop.

Every argument I can make for Bishop I can also make for Hicks. I would guess they land one of those two.

edensmage

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every argument I can make for Bishop I can also make for Hicks. I would guess they land one of those two.
I would agree. The only minor differentiator I can come up with is Bishop might be a hair more explosive, but he also didn't perform agility drills so hard to say. Otherwise I haven't gotten through enough Hicks film to comment on that yet but it's coming...

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Here’s an idea of what a draft could look like if they took Cooper in the first round:

1.25: Edgerrin Cooper, LB, Texas AM

2.41: Jordan Morgan, OL, Arizona

2.58: Jaden Hicks, S, Wash State

3.88: Jarrian Jones, CB, Florida State

3.91: Will Shipley, RB, Clemson

4.126: Hunter Nourzad, OL, PSU

5.169: Brandon Coleman, OL, TCU

6.202: Ty’Ron Hopper, LB, Missouri

6.219: Jaylen Harrell, DE, Michigan

7.245: Kedon Slovis, QB, BYU

7.255: Ryan Watts, DB, Texas

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Here’s an idea of what a draft could look like if they took Cooper in the first round:

That would be a pretty solid draft. I like the Harrell pick, producer in the sack category, which could help fill the Enagbare spot.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You hit every position I try to get in my mocks except I take a DL instead of a QB. I draft BPA at 25 then my order of need if possible LB-S-OL-CB with the day 2 picks. Sometimes have to mix up the order but really concentrate on those 4 positions. If the BPA at 25 is one of those positions it really opens up the board for those day 2 picks. I am a big Shipley fan but after signing Jacobs I have pushed RB down a bit. I then try to double up at LB, OL & DB. Edge & DT or even a 3rd OL are 7th rounders. IMO trading 126 & 168 to move up in the 4th round makes sense. 10 picks should be enough for Gute & company. IMO.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I know everyone keeps saying Barton is the high end OL that is a Packer through and through...nah I have said since roughly October Jordan Morgan is everything GB likes...his physical make up and athleticism screams swing tackle to slid inside with ease as well.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Here's my last stab at it. Sort of a combination of predictive and what I would want to see. I am projecting a trade here: Carolina gives the Packers #33, #101, and a 2025 3rd rounder for #25.

2.33: Marshawn Kneeland, DE, WMU: Burly defensive end with the skills to get a lot better. The Packers go edge here early because of how shallow the class is.

2.41: Roger Rosengarten, OT, UW: Rosengarten is a Packers type all day long and should have the capability to compete at RT immediately if they want to move Tom inside.

2.58: Max Melton, CB, RUT: Melton has great tools for man and zone coverage, plus inside/out versatility; he has been coached under Schiano (Hafley's tree)

3.88: Cedric Gray, LB, UNC: Gray is young, well-rounded, and reportedly highly intelligent. Competition for McDuffie and future green dot.

3.91: Malik Mustapha, S, WF: Thick, aggressive SS prospect who falls here because of all the 2 high across the league; reminds me of Hufanga in SF.

4.101: Will Shipley, RB, CLEM: Versatile offensive weapon who brings some speed to the backfield and can help in the KOR game.

4.126: Zak Zinter, G, MICH: The Packers typically like tackle experience, but Zinter can play and probably only falls this far due to his injury.

5.169: Khristian Boyd, DT, UNI: 1T/Shade depth with Clark and Slaton both impending free agents.

6.202: Ty'Ron Hopper, LB, MIZZ: Another dart throw at linebacker to add to the competition.

6.219: Omar Brown, S, NEB: A second safety to compete and improve the roster depth.

7.245: Kedon Slovis, QB, BYU: Camp arm with athletic upside to compete for QB3 role.

7.255: Donovan Jennings, OL, USF: Packers-type OL project who could fight for a spot on the back of the roster.

All in all, I think it would be a good haul and it would be nice if they acquired more future draft capital.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's my last stab at it. Sort of a combination of predictive and what I would want to see. I am projecting a trade here: Carolina gives the Packers #33, #101, and a 2025 3rd rounder for #25.

2.33: Marshawn Kneeland, DE, WMU: Burly defensive end with the skills to get a lot better. The Packers go edge here early because of how shallow the class is.

2.41: Roger Rosengarten, OT, UW: Rosengarten is a Packers type all day long and should have the capability to compete at RT immediately if they want to move Tom inside.

2.58: Max Melton, CB, RUT: Melton has great tools for man and zone coverage, plus inside/out versatility; he has been coached under Schiano (Hafley's tree)

3.88: Cedric Gray, LB, UNC: Gray is young, well-rounded, and reportedly highly intelligent. Competition for McDuffie and future green dot.

3.91: Malik Mustapha, S, WF: Thick, aggressive SS prospect who falls here because of all the 2 high across the league; reminds me of Hufanga in SF.

4.101: Will Shipley, RB, CLEM: Versatile offensive weapon who brings some speed to the backfield and can help in the KOR game.

4.126: Zak Zinter, G, MICH: The Packers typically like tackle experience, but Zinter can play and probably only falls this far due to his injury.

5.169: Khristian Boyd, DT, UNI: 1T/Shade depth with Clark and Slaton both impending free agents.

6.202: Ty'Ron Hopper, LB, MIZZ: Another dart throw at linebacker to add to the competition.

6.219: Omar Brown, S, NEB: A second safety to compete and improve the roster depth.

7.245: Kedon Slovis, QB, BYU: Camp arm with athletic upside to compete for QB3 role.

7.255: Donovan Jennings, OL, USF: Packers-type OL project who could fight for a spot on the back of the roster.

All in all, I think it would be a good haul and it would be nice if they acquired more future draft capital.

I would slap anyone in the face that doesn’t think this would be an excellent draft. From a prospect perspective love it!

Latest posts