2024 Draft Prospect Discussions

Reaction score
Couple of thoughts here.

1. I’m totally convinced after watching Tim Boyle get mauled today that we need to upgrade our OL. Also I had just watched some of Rodgers film early in 2008-2009 and he had a better OL and WR grouping imo. Aaron was slightly crisper, but he did have missed throws, fumbles etc. He wasn’t mistake free either and he had Jordy, Jones, Driver some real studs. #12 had much better Pass and Run blocking also imo. There were times he didn’t have a Defender come within 2 yards for 3+ seconds, which is a rarity today.
I'm just early projecting.
Thankfully also the Jets are struggling. I’m basing this more on where I see thicker positional groups that align with current or future need.
2009 also clearly showed how investing in the D Backfield paid dividends. We had Williams, Collins and Woodson getting INT left n right.

#17 CB
#41 (Jets) LT
#49 iOL
#79 Safety
#84 RB
#121 WR
#138 (4th comp) Safety
(Traded 5th to the Bills)
6th/6th Edge/LB/RB etc
7th/7th ST/ST

Last edited:
Reaction score
A second option (but less likely) would look like this if they feel Stokes is going to fully rebound and Valentine/Ballentine ascend:

#17 OT
#41 (Jets) Safety
#49 iOL
#79 WR
#84 RB
#121 CB
#136 (4th comp) RB
6th/6th Safety/LB
7th/7th ST/ST

I also like the idea of addressing 1 positional weakness using FA. Similar to what we did when bringing in Amos etc. I’d prefer a substantial known quantity Veteran FA. An Interior OL to pair with a 1st/2nd Round O Tackle

Last edited:
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm just going to say it now, Coope DeJean is a name Packer fans really need to be familiar with for multiple reasons:

-May very well end up the best safety prospect in the draft
-Is a starting caliber outside corner as well
-Positionally he is a need regardless of if safety or outside corner
-Fits the typical age Gute tends to like
-For sure is going to test VERY well and have a sufficient RAS
-Top safety type guys typically go in the teens...right where we are.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've played the devil's advocate role often on whether picking a WR this draft makes sense...and I still see the value of it if we trade back or doing it NOT on Day1

With the way this WR room is seemingly stacked with talent that is growing and progressing weekly, I personally believe that if you draft a WR on Day1 he better be the second coming of Davante level or the GM that calls the pick needs fired asap and is a massive mismanagement of the team.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've played the devil's advocate role often on whether picking a WR this draft makes sense...and I still see the value of it if we trade back or doing it NOT on Day1

With the way this WR room is seemingly stacked with talent that is growing and progressing weekly, I personally believe that if you draft a WR on Day1 he better be the second coming of Davante level or the GM that calls the pick needs fired asap and is a massive mismanagement of the team.
I guess he'll get fired before the w/o starts playing well then.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess he'll get fired before the w/o starts playing well then.

LOL personally it wouldn't matter for me. The good news is I suspect the top 3 minimum will be off the board when we pick so I think it won't happen, but if it did I'd be fine if they fired him - absolute waste of a pick with the roster structure we have presently.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
LOL personally it wouldn't matter for me. The good news is I suspect the top 3 minimum will be off the board when we pick so I think it won't happen, but if it did I'd be fine if they fired him - absolute waste of a pick with the roster structure we have presently.
Almost like picking a QB early when a fHOF is still hitting it. Or some would say. :D

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Almost like picking a QB early when a fHOF is still hitting it. Or some would say. :D
Entirely different points in each's career...say Love signs a 4 or 5 year extension after 2024. I think around 2027 or 2028 depending on what he is showing it wouldn't shock me one bit to see us do a similar direction which may end up having worked three times.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm just going to say it now, Coope DeJean is a name Packer fans really need to be familiar with for multiple reasons:

-May very well end up the best safety prospect in the draft
-Is a starting caliber outside corner as well
-Positionally he is a need regardless of if safety or outside corner
-Fits the typical age Gute tends to like
-For sure is going to test VERY well and have a sufficient RAS
-Top safety type guys typically go in the teens...right where we are.
Did they ever say what the injury was? I'm only seeing lower leg, but nothing particular. I wonder if he's going to be able to test. But I agree, the kid is special.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did they ever say what the injury was? I'm only seeing lower leg, but nothing particular. I wonder if he's going to be able to test. But I agree, the kid is special.

I'm actually working on ascertaining enough confirmation to place a belief of my own on significance. I've heard far too different things. I've never heard anyone suspect it was severe enough to miss testing...but I've also not heard true confirmation of that either.

Reaction score

I agree. My thoughts are only selecting at WR IF it’s a no brainer. Such as if we have a top 50-75 grade on someone and he’s there at our natural 4th round pick.

I’d also really like us to use one of our two 3rd Rounders on a dynamic RB.

Within 4 Rounds (likely 7 selections) we should ideally have 2 OL + 1 DL to bolster the trenches. Ideally the other positions of interest would be Safety, RB, LB, CB not necessarily in that order.

I sent Santa my current wishlist in an ideal world.
OT 1st
Safety 2nd
iOL 2nd
RB 3rd
DT 3rd
LB 4th
CB 4th
Safety 6th
RB 6th
ST, ST

Last edited:

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Couple of thoughts here.

1. I’m totally convinced after watching Tim Boyle get mauled today that we need to upgrade our OL. Also I had just watched some of Rodgers film early in 2008-2009 and he had a better OL and WR grouping imo. Aaron was slightly crisper, but he did have missed throws, fumbles etc. He wasn’t mistake free either and he had Jordy, Jones, Driver some real studs. #12 had much better Pass and Run blocking also imo. There were times he didn’t have a Defender come within 2 yards for 3+ seconds, which is a rarity today.
I'm just early projecting.
Thankfully also the Jets are struggling. I’m basing this more on where I see thicker positional groups that align with current or future need.
2009 also clearly showed how investing in the D Backfield paid dividends. We had Williams, Collins and Woodson getting INT left n right.

#17 CB
#41 (Jets) LT
#49 iOL
#79 Safety
#84 RB
#121 WR
#138 (4th comp) Safety
6th/6th Edge/LB/RB etc
7th/7th ST/ST
Top 3 picks should be LT, S and RB, or ILB in whatever order you want to put it in.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As we continue to push a little deeper in the draft folks have been asking me who are the guys Ty that both might realistically be there and also that regardless of position you cannot pass on???

So....

Jared Verse EDGE Florida State 6'4' 260lbs
This edge prospect is just a flat out NASTY stud IMO. Many I talk to say the toss up is which of the three Latu, Turner and Verse go first, second and third. While all three (and Chop Robinson really) are EXCELLENT STUDS - Verse to me is the most put together, out the gate starter over Preston - and you all know how much I love Preston. I'm very curious how he does testing athletically as if he can stack a high testing output I think he won't see a pick outside the top 10 an option...however he is my red circled guy I think might make it to us as I believe Latu is #1 and Turner #2 and won't be an option - at this stage in the game at least that is how I feel.

Jer'Zhan Newton iDL Illinois 6'2' 295lbs
Folks, he is my clear and above iDL#1...which as everyone knows I'm a big measurables guy, but this young man is one of those arguably 'undersized" outliers that I absolutely believe can and will see success at the NFL level. A guy that was one of the best defenders in 2022 collegiate season, and only continued to be arguably the best in the trenches again at his position. Everyone knows my personal displeasure with how Wyatt continues to be a roller coaster of performances and I'm not going to continue riding his entire rookie deal out before possibly supplementing that iDL with potential replacements (that's if Brooks or Colby don't do it anyways). Either way Newton is a top10 skilled type guy that I'd have a hard time passing on even if Wyatt was lighting it up.

Malik Nabers WR LSU 6'0' 200lbs
Hate to even mention a WR here...but I have to. Everyone knows I LOVE Rome Odunze, but he is a guy I can pass in the teens...same with Keon Coleman...but Nabers to me is a top 8 overall prospect and a WR type that can and will most likely be a team's WR1 clearly by the end of his rookie year. I DON'T WANT TO DO THIS PICK, as our WR room is stacked with potential and there isn't a guy in that room I don't love how he is projecting...but if I'm being honest Nabers is a guy right now that if he falls and we are sitting there in the mid to late teens we'd have to make it happen.

Joe Alt OT Notre Dame 6'8' 322lbs
Look I've made it clear I don't have Alt as a Top10 type pick, but if we are sitting in that 15-19 range and Alt is there I'm more more palatable to it. If you were to say on a scale of 1-10 what level he is now and what his ceiling is - I argue for him that is almost the same exact number. Like he comes in a 8.0 or 8.5 type with his ceiling being dang near the same...but what I do believe is that Alt will at minimum be an NFL starting caliber tackle for probably about 75% of the league.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As we continue to push a little deeper in the draft folks have been asking me who are the guys Ty that both might realistically be there and also that regardless of position you cannot pass on???

So....

This edge prospect is just a flat out NASTY stud IMO. Many I talk to say the toss up is which of the three Latu, Turner and Verse go first, second and third. While all three (and Chop Robinson really) are EXCELLENT STUDS - Verse to me is the most put together, out the gate starter over Preston - and you all know how much I love Preston. I'm very curious how he does testing athletically as if he can stack a high testing output I think he won't see a pick outside the top 10 an option...however he is my red circled guy I think might make it to us as I believe Latu is #1 and Turner #2 and won't be an option - at this stage in the game at least that is how I feel.

Folks, he is my clear and above iDL#1...which as everyone knows I'm a big measurables guy, but this young man is one of those arguably 'undersized" outliers that I absolutely believe can and will see success at the NFL level. A guy that was one of the best defenders in 2022 collegiate season, and only continued to be arguably the best in the trenches again at his position. Everyone knows my personal displeasure with how Wyatt continues to be a roller coaster of performances and I'm not going to continue riding his entire rookie deal out before possibly supplementing that iDL with potential replacements (that's if Brooks or Colby don't do it anyways). Either way Newton is a top10 skilled type guy that I'd have a hard time passing on even if Wyatt was lighting it up.

Hate to even mention a WR here...but I have to. Everyone knows I LOVE Rome Odunze, but he is a guy I can pass in the teens...same with Keon Coleman...but Nabers to me is a top 8 overall prospect and a WR type that can and will most likely be a team's WR1 clearly by the end of his rookie year. I DON'T WANT TO DO THIS PICK, as our WR room is stacked with potential and there isn't a guy in that room I don't love how he is projecting...but if I'm being honest Nabers is a guy right now that if he falls and we are sitting there in the mid to late teens we'd have to make it happen.

Look I've made it clear I don't have Alt as a Top10 type pick, but if we are sitting in that 15-19 range and Alt is there I'm more more palatable to it. If you were to say on a scale of 1-10 what level he is now and what his ceiling is - I argue for him that is almost the same exact number. Like he comes in a 8.0 or 8.5 type with his ceiling being dang near the same...but what I do believe is that Alt will at minimum be an NFL starting caliber tackle for probably about 75% of the league.
Great list, but if we keep winning, all of these guys are top 20 draft picks. Absolutely love Nabers and Verse though! If we think we might have our left tackle on the team already, I really like Latham as a road grader/punishing RT. I wish there were some better true nose tackles in this draft, but I would be ok taking a swing on Jordan Jefferson or T'vondre Sweat a little later in the draft. Really wanted Bento or Mazi last year and we need either more beef up front or a real thumper linebacker to help support this run defense.

I'm a little nervous about the safety and running backs in this class, but I think walking out addressing OL, DL, Safety, and RB in this draft should have us in a good spot. Would like to see ILB and CB too, but that's asking a lot in one draft.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great list, but if we keep winning, all of these guys are top 20 draft picks. Absolutely love Nabers and Verse though! If we think we might have our left tackle on the team already, I really like Latham as a road grader/punishing RT. I wish there were some better true nose tackles in this draft, but I would be ok taking a swing on Jordan Jefferson or T'vondre Sweat a little later in the draft. Really wanted Bento or Mazi last year and we need either more beef up front or a real thumper linebacker to help support this run defense.

I'm a little nervous about the safety and running backs in this class, but I think walking out addressing OL, DL, Safety, and RB in this draft should have us in a good spot. Would like to see ILB and CB too, but that's asking a lot in one draft.

RBs are deep and diverse in this class - I'm a big Day2/early Day3 fan.

T'Vondre Sweat is for sure a guy I'd be comfortable spending a Day 2 pick on truthfully even one of our seconds even. I do believe he is that good and diverse.

Latham is a good RT for sure, but I don't see us looking for an RT unless we plan on moving Tom inside (C or G). I believe they have no desire to move Tom away from RT, he is playing at elite level most games there.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Heard back from a very credible source, his camp is saying February he'll be golden to train and expects no hiccup in being around for everything draft process from then on. GOOD NEWS.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score

So....

I like Alt and Newton, but unless we top out at 6 wins there's no way we get Alt.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Alt and Newton, but unless we top out at 6 wins there's no way we get Alt.

I don’t personally think the entire NFL is likely to have him at LT2 like many seem to think. Jordan Morgan, Patrick Paul and couple others may unseat him

edensmage

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Howdy all. This will be my first post and intro to the board. I'm a native cheesehead but currently live in FL. Have followed the draft for about 10 years on and off and like to do some YT scouting for fun as time allows. I found this forum and thought it would be fun to join since there seems to be some good regular chat/content. With that said, I've read through the past posts and don't have any drastically differing opinions but will share a some of my own thoughts with what I've been able to review so far...

I think after the KC game we can confidently scratch the QB talk. I'm definitely in the OT/S camp for round 1 depending on where we end up. At our current rate we could be closer to 32 than any of us probably thought possible a few weeks ago...this would increase my desire for a Nubin or Kinchens. I haven't scouted much beyond that but I know Iowa produces good players so DeJean could be on that list too. I'm never going to be upset at a OLB in the first but at this point I feel like it would be a luxury pick.

I'm normally not a draft-a-running-back-high guy but I started looking at some RB tape and can't help but imagine what a guy like Henderson would do to improve our RB room. I love AJones but his time is running out. I also recognize our running game could be greatly improved with some improved OL play - as we saw demonstrated with the KC game...so again, maybe hard to justify a 2nd round pick but definitely looking at one by the 3rd.

I'll stop at that for now, but leave with a question of how you rate DeJean vs. Kinchens vs. Nubin? I definitely feel like Nubin fits the Packers mold but the more I watch of Kinchens the more I feel like he may be the better player...just not sure how much he'll appreciate the cold coming from Miami. :)

Cheers

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DeJean > Nubin > Kitchens

Safety prospects get much less predictable and more holes…those three if drafted start day1 without hesitation IMO.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What do you mean by this? As far as the safety class after the top 3?

I will start doing some work on DeJean...
Yeah after those three.

The USC prospect can cover both personnel and field but is insanely thin and tackling clearly a struggle. Guys like Bishop from Utah or Hicks from Washington State (maybe James Williams also Miami) are possibly my S4 and S5 and then S6…over Bullock who typically is folks next.

Bullard at Georgia shows potential but this is his first year working backend and not just a slot/nickel guy.

Reaction score
I’d like to wait and be patient at Safety. I think Owens and Johnston are showing promise. I’d like to Add another one in Round 2-4 area. I’m not sold on this Safety class with a Top22 or better draft pick. There’s Safeties thick through 4 Rounds. Same goes for RB. We could have 4 picks in Rounds 3-4 where RB, Saf is thick.
I’m also not opposed to a WR but it’s the thickest Class in this draft. That means it’s smart to wait if it’s not detrimental. We’ll be able to find a Doubs type again in RD4 imo. If Malachi Corley is there late RD3 I’m on that all day.

My favorite RB is Jonathan Brooks out of Texas. He’s going to be good
Unfortunately his injury has me concerned but if he makes full recovery he’s special. Blake Corum peaks my interest. He’s small but he’s very great center gravity and he’s smart.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I think Owens and Johnston are showing promise.
Owens is 28 and a 5 year vet. Promise is past, he is what he is. Maybe he suits this defense better than what he was in. AJ,jr is 24; Savage 26; and Ford 29. btw only 3 players on the roster have celebrated their 30th birthday.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Owens HAS shown improvement since Detroit. Something I've not seen Savage show at all. Savage since his rookie year has shown regression yearly. I did think last year Ford was a Stud. Johnston with playing time is showing he gets the scheme. I really only see one weak link in this group, but he happens to be a starter.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts