2024 Draft Prospect Discussions

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JJ is a great kid. I ran the clock for every one of his H.S. home games his freshman thru junior years. I met Harbaugh when he came to watch him play. It has been fun to watch him progress.

I will say I think JJ out of all QBs that will be drafted this next year improved the most.

I still think he gets vastly too squirrely in a closing pocket and I do believe he struggles with at the line reads prior to snap - but I’ve seen both improve some this year.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So lot of season left (Packers) but let's assume we are sitting in the Top 10....prospects many atm are thinking Top 10 pick or you hear and see being discussed as such a LOT:

(IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER)
Caleb Williams QB USC
Olumuyiwa Fashanu OT Penn State
Drake Maye QB UNC
Joe Alt OT Notre Dame
Emeka Egbuka WR OSU
Marvin Harrison Jr WR OSU
Jared Verse EDGE FSU
Brock Bowers TE Georgia
JC Latham OT Alabama
Kool-Aid McKinstry CB Alabama
Kalen King CB Penn State
Laiatu Latu EDGE UCLA
Chop Robinson EDGE Penn State
Malik Nabers WR LSU
Cooper DeJean CB Iowa
Keon Coleman WR FSU
Jer'Zhan Newton DT Illinois
Michael Penix Jr QB Washington
Rome Odunze WR Washington
Bo Nix QB Oregon

First IMO the following guys do not hold a TOP 10 Day 1 draft grade value....but first to me if I'm picking Top 10 I have to know this guy Day 1 is coming in and is AT worst a starter level guy for my team...and depending on the position the best. Example...I draft a QB, RB, TE, LB, C or S this early - they had better be #1 on the depth chart from the word go IMO. If I go CB, ILB, DT, EDGE, G, WR or OT...they had better be one of the two main starters (slot CB thee starter).

Guys I personally don't see it at this time (now keep in mind my film time isn't close to being done....by a long shot....but as of now):

Malik Nabers - I do think he has the skillset to be a first round consideration, but not TOP 10
Joe Alt - Massive ND fan, and still an Alt for first round grade, but this year has made me more hesitant on whether he is that transcendent level OT that will be an AP in his rookie or sophomore season type level.
Brock Bowers - This is tough...I'm very critical of TEs already and argue they have to be extremely rare talent to do it (Pitts is still the only one for me)....but Bowers was going to be that guy, until his injury...now I'm temporarily hitting pause button. Bowers is still insanely gifted and special....I just am unsure if I could write a TE's name down that early in the draft unless I felt they were going to be a centerpiece of the offense.
Michael Penix Jr - I don't see Top 10 skill, but he or Bo Nix I bet go in the Top 10/15 because they're QBs
Bo Nix - speaking of (^), I actually think Nix will wash out above Penix for me purely from an athletic stance and what he offers...also I feel he has more pocket composure when pressure comes than Penix.
Rome Odunze - EVERYONE here has heard me rave about this kid, but BUT I still don't think he's the prospect I'm rolling into Day1 if I'm in the top 10 I have circled to pick...his entrance floor is lower than the three guys ahead of him I feel and while he has put up just immense amount of film of success....he doesn't have the tape pedigree that say the other three Egbuka and Harrison Jr and also Coleman I feel have put up level of DBs wise. That all said, I do think Rome is like a Doubs 2.0...more refined and better at all aspects just a bit. That's a special rookie prospect and personally he is in my Top 20 right now overall...but going to take him off the Top10 for this discussion.
Jer'Zhan Newton - dude is good, dude is special...dude is not a Jalen Carter or Lawrence or some of the special special DL talents we have seen.

I am left tentatively with these 13 guys after those eliminations:

Caleb Williams QB USC
Drake Maye QB UNC
Emeka Egbuka WR OSU
Jared Verse EDGE FSU
JC Latham OT Alabama
Kalen King CB Penn State
Laiatu Latu EDGE UCLA
Cooper DeJean CB Iowa
Keon Coleman WR FSU

That list for me then has Caleb Williams removed. IMO his character flaws are massively too great for me to ignore. Is he a Top10 skilled prospect, HELL yeah...but that doesn't mean I have to believe I see the pick value in him.

So right now at the moment I have 12...and I'm very very mixed on actually both OTs there for Top10 and I'm not so sure Kalen King is the guy for me either.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So lot of season left (Packers) but let's assume we are sitting in the Top 10....prospects many atm are thinking Top 10 pick or you hear and see being discussed as such a LOT:

(IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER)
Caleb Williams QB USC
Drake Maye QB UNC
Joe Alt OT Notre Dame
Emeka Egbuka WR OSU
Jared Verse EDGE FSU
Brock Bowers TE Georgia
JC Latham OT Alabama
Kalen King CB Penn State
Laiatu Latu EDGE UCLA
Malik Nabers WR LSU
Cooper DeJean CB Iowa
Keon Coleman WR FSU
Jer'Zhan Newton DT Illinois
Michael Penix Jr QB Washington
Rome Odunze WR Washington
Bo Nix QB Oregon

First IMO the following guys do not hold a TOP 10 Day 1 draft grade value....but first to me if I'm picking Top 10 I have to know this guy Day 1 is coming in and is AT worst a starter level guy for my team...and depending on the position the best. Example...I draft a QB, RB, TE, LB, C or S this early - they had better be #1 on the depth chart from the word go IMO. If I go CB, ILB, DT, EDGE, G, WR or OT...they had better be one of the two main starters (slot CB thee starter).

Guys I personally don't see it at this time (now keep in mind my film time isn't close to being done....by a long shot....but as of now):

Malik Nabers - I do think he has the skillset to be a first round consideration, but not TOP 10
Joe Alt - Massive ND fan, and still an Alt for first round grade, but this year has made me more hesitant on whether he is that transcendent level OT that will be an AP in his rookie or sophomore season type level.
Brock Bowers - This is tough...I'm very critical of TEs already and argue they have to be extremely rare talent to do it (Pitts is still the only one for me)....but Bowers was going to be that guy, until his injury...now I'm temporarily hitting pause button. Bowers is still insanely gifted and special....I just am unsure if I could write a TE's name down that early in the draft unless I felt they were going to be a centerpiece of the offense.
Michael Penix Jr - I don't see Top 10 skill, but he or Bo Nix I bet go in the Top 10/15 because they're QBs
Bo Nix - speaking of (^), I actually think Nix will wash out above Penix for me purely from an athletic stance and what he offers...also I feel he has more pocket composure when pressure comes than Penix.
Rome Odunze - EVERYONE here has heard me rave about this kid, but BUT I still don't think he's the prospect I'm rolling into Day1 if I'm in the top 10 I have circled to pick...his entrance floor is lower than the three guys ahead of him I feel and while he has put up just immense amount of film of success....he doesn't have the tape pedigree that say the other three Egbuka and Harrison Jr and also Coleman I feel have put up level of DBs wise. That all said, I do think Rome is like a Doubs 2.0...more refined and better at all aspects just a bit. That's a special rookie prospect and personally he is in my Top 20 right now overall...but going to take him off the Top10 for this discussion.
Jer'Zhan Newton - dude is good, dude is special...dude is not a Jalen Carter or Lawrence or some of the special special DL talents we have seen.

I am left tentatively with these 13 guys after those eliminations:

Caleb Williams QB USC
Drake Maye QB UNC
Emeka Egbuka WR OSU
Jared Verse EDGE FSU
JC Latham OT Alabama
Kalen King CB Penn State
Laiatu Latu EDGE UCLA
Cooper DeJean CB Iowa
Keon Coleman WR FSU

That list for me then has Caleb Williams removed. IMO his character flaws are massively too great for me to ignore. Is he a Top10 skilled prospect, HELL yeah...but that doesn't mean I have to believe I see the pick value in him.

So right now at the moment I have 12...and I'm very very mixed on actually both OTs there for Top10 and I'm not so sure Kalen King is the guy for me either.

Finally watched tape of Kalen King some at lunch.....off my top 10 watchlist as well for sure. I'm not sure he gets a first round grade from me.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So... probably not a popular discussion right now, but can we talk about the quarterbacks in this class? It's a pretty strong one, and if we decide that Love is not the future, it's a good class to dip our toes in. I know everyone has Williams and Maye as their #1 and #2, but I really like what I'm seeing from J.J. McCarthy. However, it's also pretty deep if we want to take a swing later on in the draft. Penix is older which may cause him to drop, but has looked really good this year. Jayden Daniels might only be a backup, but he's intriguing as well. Hartman and Nix are later-round guys that might be interesting too.
3rd-4th round I like KJ Jefferson out of Arkansas

7th round/UDFA range I like Will Rogers out of Mississippi State.

I agree with the OP about McCarthy.

Nix I would avoid like the plague, and I say this as an Auburn fan. When the kid played at Auburn he seemed to lose winnable games, and once he broke his ankle he transferred within a week.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll admit....having watched more of Joe Alt....he may very well be one of the safest OTs in the draft in that you are for sure at minimum getting a starter. I don't know if I'd do it, but I could absolutely understand the pick of him early.

Also Dallas Turner edge from Bama is 100% a top 20 no doubter in my opinion and on the table for early pick worthiness.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, I freaking love this edge class...top end guys that I think all are more ready than LVN (who we all knew was a hybrid athletic freak size wise)

Latu is my Edge1 for sure
Jared Verse appears to be my #2

Dallas Turner, Kalen Trice and Chop Robinson all three are likely getting top 40 grades from me....with Tuimoloau and Umanmielen nipping on their heals.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought the QBs on Alabama and LSU both looked very good. And so did both QBs on SCal and Washington. I guess I especially liked Daniels. If he has enough size.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought the QBs on Alabama and LSU both looked very good. And so did both QBs on SCal and Washington. I guess I especially liked Daniels. If he has enough size.
The problem with Williams (USC qb) is he folds against good competition. If he ends up either with the Jets or Rams and gets to sit for 1-2 years he'll be great. If he has to start early he'll be a huge bust.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Washington’s is the only one I’m interested in and not in the first. Williams is an immaturity issue but talent is awesome.

As for Bama and LSUs…day 3 guys for me.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
3rd-4th round I like KJ Jefferson out of Arkansas

7th round/UDFA range I like Will Rogers out of Mississippi State.

I agree with the OP about McCarthy.

Nix I would avoid like the plague, and I say this as an Auburn fan. When the kid played at Auburn he seemed to lose winnable games, and once he broke his ankle he transferred within a week.
I would never consider drafting Jefferson as a QB anywhere in the draft. I've watched him a lot for years now and imo He's very mentally slow. Maybe as a TE late or as a UDFA. Much like Felipe Franks though a more powerful runner. I actually liked Franks as a 7th round pick as a TE but Gutekunst didn't agree with me.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am officially saying something I NEVER thought I would -

Keon Coleman and Malik Nabers have higher ceilings than Marvin Harrison Jr.

Harrison Jr. still may have the highest WR floor we've seen since Calvin Johnson but I said what I said.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am officially saying something I NEVER thought I would -

Keon Coleman and Malik Nabers have higher ceilings than Marvin Harrison Jr.

Harrison Jr. still may have the highest WR floor we've seen since Calvin Johnson but I said what I said.
I can't judge 'ceilings' or 'potential'. I learned that in '06 when we drafted AJ Hawk.

Todd Princl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since our defense against the run can’t get it done, what are your views on drafting T'Vondre Sweat? He is supposedly the best run stuffer in this draft.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since our defense against the run can’t get it done, what are your views on drafting T'Vondre Sweat? He is supposedly the best run stuffer in this draft.

I am higher on Sweat than many and feel if a GM would want to go after him late Round 2 I'd understand it. Strong Top 100 prospect IMO and should be a priority Day2 for a team needing a plugger.

Another run stuffer but of a different type I like at a similar time/range is "The Don" from Cinci. Dontay Corleone is a younger prospect so I know Gute will love that but what I love is he plays the rush extremely well and will embrace double team gobbling to open up tackling lanes for those coming. He isn't a massive pass rush type guy but so what - we need run and line control and that is something he excels at with his 305 pound frame and strength.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’ve said it before (last year, too, lol) but frankly I have absolutely zero interest whatsoever in throwing good money after bad and spending any more investment (be it draft capital or cash spent) on our defense until Joe Barry is gone.

Until that happens, talking about drafting early on defense is for me akin to saying “If I just give Bernie Madoff another $10m, he’s gonna get me a great rate of return” :p

Now if/when he’s done I’d at least entertain the conversation but imo as it stands we have MORE than enough talent as is to get a better result than we have thus far

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’ve said it before (last year, too, lol) but frankly I have absolutely zero interest whatsoever in throwing good money after bad and spending any more investment (be it draft capital or cash spent) on our defense until Joe Barry is gone.

Until that happens, talking about drafting early on defense is for me akin to saying “If I just give Bernie Madoff another $10m, he’s gonna get me a great rate of return” :p

Now if/when he’s done I’d at least entertain the conversation but imo as it stands we have MORE than enough talent as is to get a better result than we have thus far

If I'm Gute or even just anyone I'm always going to be discussing prospects that are good at negatives on the current roster. Just my free two cents though. I understand what you're saying...no sour grapes here if Barry is fired today.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man I love some of these high end WRs but if our young guys keep progressing like they are, it would be unwise or Gute and Co IMO to grab one early.

More and more I feel the way this team proceeds and finishes the year I strongly envision a DB or Edge Day1 and strong OL / RB / Lb or DT throughout Day2 is more and more likely and needed

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is disconcerting how Van Ness and Wyatt have performed. Is there nothing the coaches can do to have them improve? For instance, I've seen Van Ness go way too wide. And then the QB just steps up. Can't they teach him to stop and change directions?

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is disconcerting how Van Ness and Wyatt have performed. Is there nothing the coaches can do to have them improve? For instance, I've seen Van Ness go way too wide. And then the QB just steps up. Can't they teach him to stop and change directions?

I disagree on LVN, I have seen what I figured we would and man that young man’s strength and speed is boggling at times.

Wyatt’s been a disappointment, for me especially at tackling.

Members online

No members online now.