2023 Draft Talk

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Speaking of PFF's board in the other thread, who are people high/low on against consensus?

Five I'm high on:

-Zay Flowers, WR, BC:
I like him better than Jahan Dotson and could see him going in a similar range.

-Darnell Wright, OT, TENN: I think he should be in the conversation for OT1 in this class.

-Jonathan Mingo, WR, MISS: He might be my 3rd receiver.

-Keeanu Benton, iDL, WISC:
Closer to a round 1 guy than round 3 guy.

-Evan Hull, RB, NW: Wouldn't be shocked by an Aaron Jones type of career path.

Five I'm low on:

-Michael Mayer, TE, ND:
With his size/frame, I don't think he'll be a special blocker at the next level. Would project him as an Austin Hooper type.

-Jordan Addison, WR, USC: Not a 1st round caliber player.

-Peter Skoronski, OL, NW: I don't think he's a tackle and I don't believe he will be special inside.

-Brian Branch, DB, UA: 1) He's a slot corner; 2) His athletic profile is not safe.

-Emmanuel Forbes, CB, MSU: He's 6'1" 166#; I wouldn't draft that until day 3.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Love this...my fives, some already shared but better place here in this thread:

Five I'm Higher On:

Mingo - we share thoughts so no need to elaborate and will pick 5 different ones.

Blake Freeland OT - Honestly after Paris, Broderick and Darnell he very well could be my OT4 and I'll go as far as for me I like him more than Wright even but barely.

John Ojukwu OT - I have him right around that top 100 level prospect, which STRONGLY disagrees with PFF.

McClendon Curtis OT - This man is exactly hand in hand with Ojukwu for me.

Bryce Ford-Wheaton WR - This young man is a clear lock in my Top 15 WRs and is borderline Top 10 honestly. To me after round 2 I want Mingo than him, then Xavier Hutchinson or Andrei Iosivas for a variety of different reasons. Either way BFW is a freaking awesome prospect IMO that for a school that barely produced a QB with over 2,000 yards passing has been a consistent receiving threat in an otherwise zero threat through the air offense. His tape shows his immense athletic profile, but the measurements locked that in as true as well.

Brenton Strange TE - This PSU tight end is getting zero love for IMO zero reasons. Is he a top 120 prospect no, but I could see him right at that 3rd/4th level ranking - however PFF essentially sees him nearly as a UDFA...so we are worlds apart.

Five I'm Lower On:

Andre Carter EDGE
- Sorry this man tested worse at his position than I bet many 300 plus lineman would have.

Brian Branch S - He is NOT a first rounder, I know I said I would not repeat, but I believe this one too much not to repeat this one.

Bijan Robinson RB - I live firmly by the motto no RB is worth a first round pick...by default of this position I have to state I disagree with PFF on him quite a bit.

Anton Harrison OT - I don't see a Day 1 or 2nd rounder personally...their offensive system is tough to gauge OL in and I will honestly say I am just uncomfortable figuring out what I think he is exactly.

Tre'Vius Hodges-Tomlinson CB - You have to be other worldly for me to consider drafting you as a DB and you're sub 5'10'...it's like my hardline on RB, I just won't do it almost 9,999 times out of 10,000 for that their belief that he is the 8th best CB in the draft is just not how I see it at all.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Brenton Strange TE - This PSU tight end is getting zero love for IMO zero reasons. Is he a top 120 prospect no, but I could see him right at that 3rd/4th level ranking - however PFF essentially sees him nearly as a UDFA...so we are worlds apart.
I like this guy too. Even if the Packers don't pick up one of the top 4 or 5 TE's that most are talking about, this guy would make me happy. I would even go as far as to say, even if the Packers do grab a top 4/5 TE and Strange is still on the board in the 4th round, I would love to see him as a Packer. Our TE cupboard is basically empty.

Reaction score
Actually, if Aaron Jones continues to play well, his contract is now structured such that the Packers might choose to keep him. The guy they might have to move away from next year, is actually A.J. Dillon. This is the last year of his rookie deal and depending on what he wants, possibly starter like money, it would be wise for the Packers to have his replacement ready to go.

I am convinced more than ever that Aaron Jones is a deviation (exception to the rule) from the normal running backs, in that he was worth the second contract. Seems like teams are finding reasonable options at RB by signing old vets to cheap deals or just finding a rookie. I guess what I am saying, I wouldn't use a top draft pick or pay too much for a RB, unless his name is Aaron Jones. Given Gute's bad luck at 3rd round picks, maybe he finds Dillons replacement there.
Yeah. I was looking from the angle that his cap hit will be just shy of $18m next season and he’ll be turning 30yrs old in 2024. I love the guy, but he could become another Za’darius Smith situation where it’s best to clean the contract slate. Next year would be the year to get our books in line.
I almost forgot that it’s also Dillons last season on a Rookie contract. Probably would be even more wise to grab a RB this draft, especially if we get an extra Day 3 pick etc.. in a trade or if we’re picking 8 times in 6 rounds.

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I honestly don't believe that the Packers will contend for a playoff spot even if Love shows promise as a first year starter. In my opinion the supporting cast just isn't good enough. In addition it's unrealistic to expect him to be a top 10 quarterback in his first season as a starter as well.

Unfortunately I'm not convinced the defense will perform up to their potential with Barry still around as their coordinator. Love will need to perform at a decent level for the rushing offense to have a chance at being a top 5-10 unit in the league, especially with the offensive line not excelling in blocking for the run.
Not likely they would compete for a playoff unless our division were to perform very sub par in 2023. And you have to figure we will be playing even more defense now. I do not believe LaFleur will gamble on 4th downs as he has in the pass.

Reaction score
IMO (as picks currently stand before the Jet trade) the Pack should not choose a RB before the 7th round. Too many other holes.
You could do that. However it’s very possible we have 8 selections (2 selections in trade) before Round 7. I highly doubt we get a later 7th Rounder that is good enough for anything but rotational for a few years. We will need at minimum 1 starting caliber RB by next season and possibly 2 inside 2-3 seasons.

I get that value of RB’s has diminished some. However that doesn’t mean we need to ignore the position either. Round 4/5 you can still get a decent RB past Round 6 it’s scraps.

Reaction score
You could do that. However it’s very possible we have 8 selections (2 selections in trade) before Round 7. I highly doubt we get a later 7th Rounder that is good enough for anything but rotational for a few years. We will need at minimum 1 starting caliber RB by next season and possibly 2 inside 2-3 seasons.

I get that value of RB’s has diminished some. However that doesn’t mean we need to ignore the position either. Round 4/5 you can still get a decent RB past Round 6 it’s scraps.
I do agree that we will probably need a RB after this year and possibly 2 long term in 2-3 years. However, running backs are generally easy to replace, both in the draft and FA (good ones can also be found almost anywhere in the draft) Also, running backs are generally NFL ready and don't take time to develop.

Having a good OL is the key to having a good running game anyway, so we need to make sure we have a good OL that can run block.

The only running back I might at least consider is Bijan Robinson, but only because he is supposedly a generational talent, and is projected to be the next superstar and an elite running back. I probably wouldn't draft him because we have so many other needs, but if we didn't, I would want to draft him.

Reaction score
I do agree that we will probably need a RB after this year and possibly 2 long term in 2-3 years. However, running backs are generally easy to replace, both in the draft and FA (good ones can also be found almost anywhere in the draft) Also, running backs are generally NFL ready and don't take time to develop.

Having a good OL is the key to having a good running game anyway, so we need to make sure we have a good OL that can run block.

The only running back I might at least consider is Bijan Robinson, but only because he is supposedly a generational talent, and is projected to be the next superstar and an elite running back. I probably wouldn't draft him because we have so many other needs, but if we didn't, I would want to draft him.
I agree with your assertion on the OL and many other ideas. That’s validated with 9 Draft picks over the last 3 drafts at OL. We haven’t even discussed Yosh (UDFA)or Elgton or Bak leftover previous acquisitions. That said, we can’t keep drafting multiple OL and throwing them away. At some point you have to trust in the process and play your hand. I can see maybe adding 1 OL, but anymore than that is a crowded room.

If we were going to bring in the Longhorn RB, it’s overlapping RB hard. I guess they might see having Dillon as a pseudo FB. That’s how they use him so maybe it’s justified. Bijan Robinson can do it all, but I still think we can find a really good RB in that 4-5th Round area that can take over in a year or two.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Actually, if Aaron Jones continues to play well, his contract is now structured such that the Packers might choose to keep him.

True, the Packers would save less than $5 million of cap space by moving on from Jones after the 2023 season. It's more likely they will restructure his contract once again to keep him for '24 as well.

And on top of that, he forgoes $5 mil to stay with GB. That kind of loyalty is rare in any sport, and really a welcome relief after watching greedy Rodgers grab for all he can and take more interest in his MVPs than a Lombardi.

Don't fool yourself, Jones didn't forgo that money voluntarily. It's all but guaranteed the Packers approached him to either take a pay cut or get released this offseason.

With Jones getting up there in age and Dillion in the last year of his contract I wouldn't mind the Packers selecting a running back in this year's draft. They shouldn't use an early rounder on one though.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah. I was looking from the angle that his cap hit will be just shy of $18m next season and he’ll be turning 30yrs old in 2024. I love the guy, but he could become another Za’darius Smith situation where it’s best to clean the contract slate. Next year would be the year to get our books in line.
I almost forgot that it’s also Dillons last season on a Rookie contract. Probably would be even more wise to grab a RB this draft, especially if we get an extra Day 3 pick etc.. in a trade or if we’re picking 8 times in 6 rounds.
I'm pretty certain Gluten will take a RB, probably a Day 3 guy.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Good points. And even generational talents at RB have their problems. Saquan Barkley has been injured a lot. And it's a position where you expect injuries, given all the hits they take.

The Packers do have other, more pressing needs and Jones and Dillon are in place for at least this year. But a round four pick at RB makes sense. And it's been a surprise how much RB talent comes from Day 3 picks.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I personally think unless we draft a RB before the 7th, Tyler Goodson will be our #3 this year.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He fared pretty well in limited production, right?

Mainly preseason. He is a very capable and explosive runner and I was shocked Taylor got more nods in season than elevating him, but for most part Dillon and Jones stayed healthy and didn't present much of a chance.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Here's one idea.

I'm projecting that the Jets trade results in something like this:

-Swap #15 for #13
-Pick #42
-Conditional 2024 pick (from a 3rd up to a 1st)
-ED/DL Micheal Clemsons (2022 4th rd pick)

So the Packers would then have four top 100 picks, three in the top 50, and 11 picks in total. My inclination would be to stick and make all those selections because they team desperately needs cost-controlled rookie contracts-- as many as they can get.

1.13: Darnell Wright, OT, Tennessee-- For this pick, I mocked the top 12. Smith-Njigba went 12th, leaving Wright as my favorite pick left on the board. Wright could compete at either/both RG or RT as a rookie and would be the RT of the future. He is a true student of OL play and shows advanced technique. His length is adequate and his power is +. I think he has true gap/zone versatility in the running game, which is key. LaFleur and Stenavich have become very diverse in the way they call blocking schemes.

Alternatives: Zay Flowers, WR, Boston College; Nolan Smith, ED, Georgia

2.42: Jonathan Mingo, WR, Mississippi-- As I've recently outlined on this forum, I'm very high on Mingo. For GB, he's in contention for WR3 for me. I think he could immediately step into Lazard's role and would fit the offensive philosophy hand-in-glove because of his YAC ability and blocking prowess.

2.45: Sam LaPorta, TE, Iowa-- With an H-Back and a blocking Y on the roster (in my projection), a true F is what is needed to replace Tonyan. LaPorta has the skills and athleticism to be a good receiving TE and is probably underrated because of the offense that he played in.

3.78: Zacch Pickens, DL, South Carolina-- The Packers have some options at shade/nose, but they are currently fairly limited when it comes to guys who thrive at 3T, 4i, 5T, etc. Pickens is versatile in that mold-- he has the length to control blocks over the tackle, but he also has the athleticism to threaten inside. He profiles like a Packer and I think he would be a great addition.

4.116: Riley Moss, DB, Iowa-- Moss has both some cornerback and safety traits and might be a better addition to the defensive backfield than any pure safety available at this point. I would add him to the mix and see where he fits in best with the existing players.

5.149: Daniel Scott, S, Cal-- Scott is old for being an incoming rookie, but he's highly experienced, athletic, and would immediately get on the field as a special teamer.

5:170: Clayton Tune, QB, Houston-- I want to see the Packers bring in a rookie to develop into a long term backup to Love who has a similar skill-set. In this era of concussion treatment, your QB2 is really important. Tune is 6'2"+, 220# and very athletic for the position. He threw for 4074-40-10 in 2022, 67+% completion, and ran for 546 yards and 5 touchdowns.

7th Round: Use these picks as lotto tickets on high end athletes that you don't want to compete for in UFA. Also a kicker.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's one idea.

-Swap #15 for #13
-Pick #42

So the Packers would then have four top 100 picks, three in the top 50, and 11 picks in total. My inclination would be to stick and make all those selections because they team desperately needs cost-controlled rookie contracts-- as many as they can get.

1.13: Darnell Wright, OT, Tennessee-- For this pick, I mocked the top 12. Smith-Njigba went 12th, leaving Wright as my favorite pick left on the board. Wright could compete at either/both RG or RT as a rookie and would be the RT of the future. He is a true student of OL play and shows advanced technique. His length is adequate and his power is +. I think he has true gap/zone versatility in the running game, which is key. LaFleur and Stenavich have become very diverse in the way they call blocking schemes.

2.42: Jonathan Mingo, WR, Mississippi-- As I've recently outlined on this forum, I'm very high on Mingo. For GB, he's in contention for WR3 for me. I think he could immediately step into Lazard's role and would fit the offensive philosophy hand-in-glove because of his YAC ability and blocking prowess.

2.45: Sam LaPorta, TE, Iowa-- With an H-Back and a blocking Y on the roster (in my projection), a true F is what is needed to replace Tonyan. LaPorta has the skills and athleticism to be a good receiving TE and is probably underrated because of the offense that he played in.

3.78: Zacch Pickens, DL, South Carolina-- The Packers have some options at shade/nose, but they are currently fairly limited when it comes to guys who thrive at 3T, 4i, 5T, etc. Pickens is versatile in that mold-- he has the length to control blocks over the tackle, but he also has the athleticism to threaten inside. He profiles like a Packer and I think he would be a great addition.

4.116: Riley Moss, DB, Iowa-- Moss has both some cornerback and safety traits and might be a better addition to the defensive backfield than any pure safety available at this point. I would add him to the mix and see where he fits in best with the existing players.

5.149: Daniel Scott, S, Cal-- Scott is old for being an incoming rookie, but he's highly experienced, athletic, and would immediately get on the field as a special teamer.

5:170: Clayton Tune, QB, Houston-- I want to see the Packers bring in a rookie to develop into a long term backup to Love who has a similar skill-set. In this era of concussion treatment, your QB2 is really important. Tune is 6'2"+, 220# and very athletic for the position. He threw for 4074-40-10 in 2022, 67+% completion, and ran for 546 yards and 5 touchdowns.

7th Round: Use these picks as lotto tickets on high end athletes that you don't want to compete for in UFA. Also a kicker.

Zero qualms - was LVN gone at 13? If not, him and Nolan Smith are two Packer type prospects I could for sure see Gute in love with.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Anyone notice that the PFF Draft simulator is no longer free, for more than a 2 round draft?

I found the one below today. :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Run a mock Packer draft and see who is there at #15.

SPOILER ALERT: Is Gutey going to have to decide between Love and Bryce Young/Will Levis/Anthony Richardson?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clusters I want one of from the main positional groups I expect us to take people from (inside the groupings "roughly" ordered by my personal rankings). The clusters are 3 guys I personally think may not last till our third rounder or so - and would love to see us come away with one IF we go that position, than beneath the hash are my Day 3 single mentioned prospects I like in the position groups:

*some of these positions make a few personal assumptions like at Edge example Will Anderson will be gone...I believe Paris Johnson will be gone at Tackle....

OT Prospects
Broderick Jones
Darnell Wright
Blake Freeland
-
Braeden Daniels

iOL Prospects
Steve Avilla
Cody Mauch
John Michael Schmitz
-
Juice Scruggs

TE Prospects

Darnell Washington
Dalton Kincaid
Luke Musgrave
-
Davis Allen

WR Prospects
JSN
Mingo
Rice
-
Bryce Ford-Wheaton

EDGE Prospects
Lukas Van Ness
Nolan Smith
Derick Hall
-
Thomas Incoom

iDL Prospects
Bryan Bresee
Mazi Smith
Keanu Benton
-
Dante Stills

Safety Prospects - Honestly Sydney Brown is the only guy I think as a pure Safety that is worth a pick as early as being discussed here....listed my "favorite three deep safety prospects IMO...but Conner and Martin most likely are not top 70 picks.
Sydney Brown
Chamarri Conner
Jartavius Martin

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's one idea.

-Swap #15 for #13
-Pick #42

Interesting stuff, thanks. This might solve the trade impasse for Rodgers. Aside from that, I was all in on taking a TE at either #15 or #13. But looking back in recent years, TEs taken early haven't worked out. Not sure why but I'd be ok waiting until round 2 and taking a guy like LaPorta, or one of the other guys if available.

Recently Wright has been mocked a few times in the top 15, and it is an area that needs help, whether he plays RG or RT.

Anyway this is an interesting scenario and a good one for the Packers.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Zero qualms - was LVN gone at 13? If not, him and Nolan Smith are two Packer type prospects I could for sure see Gute in love with.

I had Van Ness to the Titans at #11 and Smith still on the board. I chose the tackle over the edge rusher simply because in that scenario I had them getting an edge back from NYJ in the trade. However, I would have no qualms myself if they went Smith.

These were the top 12:

1. CAR: Stroud/Young, QB
2. HOU: Young/Stroud, QB
3. ATL: A. Richardson, QB
4. IND: W. Levis, QB
5. SEA: J. Carter, DT
6. DET: W. Anderson, ED
7. LV: D. Witherspoon, CB
8. ARI: C. Gonzalez, CB
9. CHI: P. Johnson, OT
10. PHI: T. Wilson, ED
11. TEN: L. Van Ness, ED
12. HOU: J. Smith-Njigba, WR

if the Packers picked at #15, I would probably project the next two picks like this:

13. NYJ: D. Wright, OT
14. NE: P. Skoronski, OL

And then at #15 I would be considering Nolan Smith, Zay Flowers, Broderick Jones...

Last edited:

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's one idea.

-Swap #15 for #13
-Pick #42

IMO this is a little high for Mingo. I could be completely wrong, but he seems like a third round pick. That being said, I really respect Greg Cosell's take on prospects and he really likes both Mingo and Tyler Scott. I also think if the reports of our scouts being enamored by Hyatt are true, we're continuing to covet speed. I know Hyatt tested elite as well, but it's telling me with the Watson pick and now the interest in Hyatt, we still want more speed. I do think Mingo is a good fit for the system though for sure and Cosell even said he reminds him a little bit of Deebo.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
IMO this is a little high for Mingo. I could be completely wrong, but he seems like a third round pick. That being said, I really respect Greg Cosell's take on prospects and he really likes both Mingo and Tyler Scott. I also think if the reports of our scouts being enamored by Hyatt are true, we're continuing to covet speed. I know Hyatt tested elite as well, but it's telling me with the Watson pick and now the interest in Hyatt, we still want more speed. I do think Mingo is a good fit for the system though for sure and Cosell even said he reminds him a little bit of Deebo.

Who would you comp him to as a prospect that went round 3? Just curious.

Reaction score
To throw a little hitch in the Giddeyup
If we had #13 in a 1st Round swap We could back up a hair to #17 and #33 with Steelers for our #13, #45
We’d pick:
Etc..

I love that 2nd Pick overall in Day 2 because we get to think about it all night. A group of Day 1 rated players will be there due to oversight or positional needs. It’s very possible a premier WR, OL, TE skipped through the 20’s by accident.

Last edited:

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who would you comp him to as a prospect that went round 3? Just curious.

I guess that's not the way I was looking at it. I was looking at it more of the strength of the position in this years draft vs. other positions as well as other wide receivers this year that may be ranked higher. Again, not saying I don't like his talent and he could definitely be a draft riser if other GMs/Scouts feel the same way as Cosell. However, I just think with the strength of the tight end group coupled with DL/Edge/Corner/Interior OL it will probably push him down the board a bit.

Members online

Latest posts