2023 Draft Talk

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The way everything Rodgers ever does or says is maticulously dissected, bisected, poured on, over and through, my guess is had he said anything privately, and the ministorm that followed Love's drafting. SOmeone would have leaked that just a little bit.

Coupled with the fact he's often said his goal all along was to play to 40 and for GB, i find it a bit of a stretch to imply he was talking retirement behind closed doors at that point in his career.

Reaction score
I have a different definition of a winning quarterback though.

As mentioned above there's still no reason to make a final evaluation of the Love pick. The early returns are terrible though.
I agree with part 2 to a degree, however these two statements are contradictory.
You just evaluated him against your own word, are you confounded?

Let’s both hope we don’t draft another QB early in 2023 :coffee:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Let’s both hope we don’t draft another QB early in 2023 :coffee:
We shouldn't need to, we have Love. At some point before Rodgers isn't in GB, Gute and the Packers knew they would need to draft a QB that they liked, which typically involves a first round pick being invested. They really liked Love, so they pulled the trigger and seemed to have pissed a lot of fans off in the process.

Had Rodgers decided to retire in either of 2021 or 2022, as he contemplated doing, the Pack wouldn't have had to use a top pick in any of those drafts on a QB. Same situation had Rodgers forced a trade or suffered a severe injury.

D

Deleted member 6794

Not publicly, no, you are correct.

Do you have any inside knowledge that Rodgers privately stated that he was thinking about retirement or forcing a trade before Love was drafted?

Otherwise it's a huge stretch to post something like that.

I agree with part 2 to a degree, however these two statements are contradictory.
You just evaluated him against your own word, are you confounded?

It should have been pretty obvious for everyone I was talking about Garrard when mentioning he's not a winning quarterback.

Obvioulsy I need to do a better job of explaining myself for you to understand.

We shouldn't need to, we have Love. At some point before Rodgers isn't in GB, Gute and the Packers knew they would need to draft a QB that they liked, which typically involves a first round pick being invested. They really liked Love, so they pulled the trigger and seemed to have pissed a lot of fans off in the process.

It was too early to make the move in 2020 though. With Rodgers still around there's a distinct possibility the Packers end up losing Love without him having played any meaningful snaps for them.

If only that could have been seen as a probable outcome at the time of his selection :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Do you have any inside knowledge that Rodgers privately stated that he was thinking about retirement or forcing a trade before Love was drafted?

Otherwise it's a huge stretch to post something like that.
Right, because we as fans are privy to EVERYTHING. :rolleyes:

If only that could have been seen as a probable outcome at the time of his selection :rolleyes:

Some just aren't as smart as you Captain! :rolleyes:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think it was his position that Fans have all the information when forming opinions, rather that some will go to very far lengths, even just make stuff up that has zero basis in any sort of reality, just to make their position appear stronger.

you'd probably have to look far, wide and pretty damn deep to find any sort of beat writer or even twitter hack with hot takes on a daily basis that was suggesting Rodgers was contemplating retirement prior to the Love selection. even then, I think you'd come up with empty nets.

wanna argue they took love to hedge against injury shortening his career or a decline in skills shortening his time here in GB at that point they selected Love? Sure, it was a question and one you can legitimately argue.

Suggesting Rodgers was hinting at retirement? You're just making stuff up and you know it.

Reaction score
Obvioulsy I need to do a better job of explaining myself for you to understand.
Once someone verbally told me to go to a website and they kept spelling it and saying such n such.com.
It didn’t work after 13 tries and I literally realized I was typing “dotcom” at the end. Duh!!
I kept asking over and over “spell it” so many times that They nicknamed me “spell it” when we realized the problem!
It was very abusive in a non traditional way :cry:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Right, because we as fans are privy to EVERYTHING. :rolleyes:

No, we obviously don't know everything about the players.

But putting something out about one of them without having any evidence to back up the statement is kind of disingenuous in my opinion.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
But putting something out about one of them without having any evidence to back up the statement is kind of disingenuous in my opinion.
What was I putting out? You were the one that put out this "definitive statement" (below).
As I have mentioned on a lot of occasions Rodgers never mentioned anything about wanting to retire or being traded before Love was drafted.
I merely corrected you, well... tried to correct you. By telling you that us as fans do not know everything that goes on inside the Packer organization. So YOU stating something like you did is actually being disingenious...in my opinion of course.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Considering there is ample evidence of Rodgers saying his goals were 1 team for his career ( Green Bay) and wanted to play to age 40 and zero implications, mumblings, grumblings, word drops, allusions, illusions or other evidence pointing to talking about retiring before Love was drafted, YOU are obviously the disingenuous one Capt. Obviously LOL.

D

Deleted member 6794

What was I putting out? You were the one that put out this "definitive statement" (below).

You're well aware that you implied Rodgers mentioned that he wanted to retire or be traded privately.

I merely corrected you, well... tried to correct you. By telling you that us as fans do not know everything that goes on inside the Packer organization. So YOU stating something like you did is actually being disingenious...in my opinion of course.

There was no reason to correct me.

The only thing we know is that Rodgers repeatedly mentioned that he wanted to retire as a Packers and play into his 40s on several occasions. He even did it in his first media appearance after Love was drafted.

Everything else is pure speculation on your part without any evidence to prove it.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The only thing we know is that Rodgers repeatedly mentioned that he wanted to retire as a Packers and play into his 40s on several occasions. He even did it in his first media appearance after Love was drafted.

Everything else is pure speculation on your part without any evidence to prove it.
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Yet you continue to ignore what happened in 2021.

You're well aware that you implied Rodgers mentioned that he wanted to retire or be traded privately.
Actually, no I didn't. What I did point out was the fact that you, I and most of the general public have no clue what Rodgers was thinking and saying to the organization. Nor do we know what Gute knew and didn't know. Rodgers is not the open book that you seem to think he is.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

As I have mentioned on a lot of occasions Rodgers never mentioned anything about wanting to retire or being traded before Love was drafted.

It was too early to make the move in 2020 though.

As Tina would say, what's 2021 go to do, go to do with it?

He's been clear as day on this, repeatedly, on this and every other thread concerning Love and Rodgers. and he's right. There is zero other than someone making stuff up to try and appear from a position of some legitimacy alluding to Rodgers somehow having retirement talks prior to the selection of Jordan Love in 2020.

I often wonder why some either can't see, or just won't see and go to such great lengths to keep it that way?

D

Deleted member 6794

That has nothing to do with what I said. I have been pretty consistent about mentioing that Rodgers never threatened to retire or ask for a trade BEFORE Love was drafted.

That obviously changed in 2021 but that has never been a point I was trying to make.

Actually, no I didn't. What I did point out was the fact that you, I and most of the general public have no clue what Rodgers was thinking and saying to the organization. Nor do we know what Gute knew and didn't know. Rodgers is not the open book that you seem to think he is.

Oh yes, you definitely did.

There has been zero speculation that Rodgers ever talked about it before Love was drafted. Therefore I prefer to assume that's what actually happened and not imply there's any truth to it without any evidence at all to support that claim.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AMEN x1,000,000,000,000
FYI, you seem to be the one that started this direction in the first place

and then this guy chimed in
Exactly! The organization needs to do what's in their best interest, and evaluating Love is THE #1 priority now that the season isn't ending in a SB. If AR won't "gracefully" sit down & heal Gute needs to IR him & take that "option" away from AR. I totally understand AR doesn't want to turn over the team to Love (& get "Bledsoed" - relinquish the QB role in GB)... but the organization needs to do what's best for itself & see what Love can do by starting & playing 5 regular season games.

and had some other pro, mistake by gute, sit Rodgers, etc posts by a few others and now you're mad that people made some rebuttals? If you don't want to talk about it, don't post about it. Just a friendly reminder :)

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FYI, you seem to be the one that started this direction in the first place

and then this guy chimed in

and had some other pro, mistake by gute, sit Rodgers, etc posts by a few others and now you're mad that people made some rebuttals? If you don't want to talk about it, don't post about it. Just a friendly reminder :)

I was discussing draft position NOT all this same old ROdgers/Love hub bub

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will go as far as to say this....playing Rodgers the rest of this year is a bigger mistake by Gute than them deciding to draft Love when they did.
But you did bring it into this discussion. Not me, or anybody else. You, Poker, Pkr did before anybody else said anything. and someone disagreed with that statement.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the "talk" of possibly moving Rasul Douglas to Safety I think another high CB pick will happen. Top 5 "needs" for 2023, IMHO, are: CB, TE, OT, WR, and possibly OLB.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But you did bring it into this discussion. Not me, or anybody else. You, Poker, Pkr did before anybody else said anything. and someone disagreed with that statement.

I'll go back through it. Here's the funny thing though....only two carry the discussion into a solely focused Rodgers topic. Only two did that. (reading back through maybe 3 LOL )

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
With the "talk" of possibly moving Rasul Douglas to Safety I think another high CB pick will happen. Top 5 "needs" for 2023, IMHO, are: CB, TE, OT, WR, and possibly OLB.

I would be interested to know the coaches feelings on Stokes as well. Hopefully, it was just a sophomore slump, but he didn't look all that great this year before his injury.

I think how the Packers approach Free Agency, as well as the draft, when it comes to the offense, might be influenced by who will be under center next year. Same QB, then I think they will go after WR's and TE's in Free Agency to try and jumpstart to offense faster. If Love is under center, I could see them drafting both a WR and TE to learn along side him.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be interested to know the coaches feelings on Stokes as well. Hopefully, it was just a sophomore slump, but he didn't look all that great this year before his injury.

I think how the Packers approach Free Agency, as well as the draft, when it comes to the offense, might be influenced by who will be under center next year. Same QB, then I think they will go after WR's and TE's in Free Agency to try and jumpstart to offense faster. If Love is under center, I could see them drafting both a WR and TE to learn along side him.
The free agent list for both positions is extremely UNDERwhelming, IMHO. TE's are either under-utilized OR don't have the talent to block DE's or beat Safeties in patterns. Regardless of who's under center I'd load-up on TE & WR talent in the draft rather than overspending on free agency.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The free agent list for both positions is extremely UNDERwhelming, IMHO. TE's are either under-utilized OR don't have the talent to block DE's or beat Safeties in patterns. Regardless of who's under center I'd load-up on TE & WR talent in the draft rather than overspending on free agency.

Personally I'm fine with not forcing a high pick on WR in this coming draft - the in house verdict is Watons, Doubs are both going to be at worst WR2 type guys...with both appearing capable of possibly WR1 ceilings. Toure is also LOVED in house and makes splash plays from time to time in LIMITED time. Sign back a Cobb or a Lazard and roll forward with no forced WR picks in the draft....possibly look for a veteran signing of a guy with maybe something to show out for as well again.

TE is no doubt a concern of a great significance. Lewis value is purely from an OL assistance level and old man time is not gonna be able to play forever...Tonyan not signed beyond next year and no matter how anyone feels on it Davis is not as well - although as a RFA he'll no doubt be back battling for something.

This draft has of course HIGH HIGH level guy in Michael Mayer...but there are some others to love:

Tier Two for me:
Darnell Washington Georgia
Dalton Kincaid Utah
Luke Musgrave - Oregon State
Tucker Kraft - South Dakota State

Tier Three:
Luke Schoonmaker - Michigan
Sam LaPorta - Iowa
Josh Whyle - Cinci
Jaheim Bell - South Carolina

Darkhorse fan of for me is Payne Durham from Purdue

You give me Mayer in the first, paired then later with a Whyle or Durham I am ON CLOUD 99 Tight End future projections for Green Bay. Now that doesn't equal immense things right out the gate, but I'm telling you right now Mayer is a day 1 starter...and even a guy like Whyle and Durham are fully capable now if they digest the playbook to come in and make yards happen. Payne in the last two seasons has produced at a BAD school over 1,000 yards along with 14 touchdowns and for three straight seasons has an over 10 yards per reception statline.

Reaction score
we should know more concretely of our draft placing over Christmas Dinner. For time being, we’re conceivably in that top #10-15 area. I’d be totally good with TE, Michael Mayer.
He fits what GB aspires to, but has tried to do it on the cheap. Great All around TE who can do some damage early in his career. It’s a dynamic that would give our Offense an instant jump start. If we are truly about Winning with #12, we need to supply him with another weapon.