2022 Pick #22 Quay Walker

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Walker is hard to grade due to the talent around him. He's got very good speed and size and seems to be fundamentally sound. I always thought he was a dark horse 1st round pick

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Walker is hard to grade due to the talent around him. He's got very good speed and size and seems to be fundamentally sound. I always thought he was a dark horse 1st round pick

Many pundits argued he was better and they seem to have agreement in the league now confirmed

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As for negatives, I just don't like taking ILB in round 1.
As a generally rule, I agree.

The caveat, and I think I've said this in the past, is there is normally only 1, maybe 2 ILBs in each draft that can cover the Gronks and/or Reggie Bushes of the world. For those players, it makes sense to consider them in Rd1.

Normally, those players go by 15 or so and we never have a chance to take them. With the WR run, we took at guy, on paper at least, can be an excellent cover man.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As a generally rule, I agree.

The caveat, and I think I've said this in the past, is there is normally only 1, maybe 2 ILBs in each draft that can cover the Gronks and/or Reggie Bushes of the world. For those players, it makes sense to consider them in Rd1.

Normally, those players go by 15 or so and we never have a chance to take them. With the WR run, we took at guy, on paper at least, can be an excellent cover man.
He does seem to have the skills to play the part and did play the part in college at least. his tall and long, passing windows in the middle are going to shrink just from that alone. He can run 4.5 and isn't just a big guy running fast, his pro day 3 cone was better than Stokes's was last year.
I'm sure there is a learning curve to covering guys in the NFL vs College, but he has what it takes to be on the field every down and attack from anywhere

Don Barclay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel like Barry's history with linebackers in particular bears this possibility out. Not only has he redefined Devondre's career, but with him Cory Littleton went from UDFA to a pretty outstanding coverage LB on the Rams -- a guy many of us were caping for in FA -- then when he left and got paid big time, disappeared. I'm assuming that prioritizing Walker in Rd 1 has to have Barry's stamp on it, and until proven wrong I'm on board with the concept.

Definitely no guarantees, but feels like this will be fun to watch if you like seeing bad MFs patrolling the middle and stomping fools. Which, let's be honest.....it's been a minute or two.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NFL comp if he hits:

Karlos Dansby
RAS comps:
Bruce Irvin (West Virginia, 2012)
Sedrick Hodge (North Carolina, 2001)
Manny Lawson (NC State, 2006)
Jabril Cox (LSU, 2021)
Martez Wilson (Illinois, 2011)

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
RAS comps:
Bruce Irvin (West Virginia, 2012)
Sedrick Hodge (North Carolina, 2001)
Manny Lawson (NC State, 2006)
Jabril Cox (LSU, 2021)
Martez Wilson (Illinois, 2011)

A couple of these guys are edge rushers.

That's what's unique about comping Walker-- he has the length of an edge guy but he plays off the ball.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A couple of these guys are edge rushers.

That's what's unique about comping Walker-- he has the length of an edge guy but he plays off the ball.
That's a good point and got me wondering....that's who you get if you run him as an LB.

If you set to grade as DE...guess who the first comp RAS spits out is? Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila. :p

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Radio dudes and dudette today mentioned he could line up inside or out. Use him like Z' was after Gary came around.
Definitely, if I had to bet I'd reckon that a big selling point for Gute and Co was the ability to move him around lots of different spots in the defense. I suspect he'll be deployed all over the place.

Wonder if anyone has a decent source to see how many snaps/where he lined up per snap last season.

D

Deleted member 6794

Also isn't Campbell only getting about 30 Million?

Campbell received a $15 million signing bonus which represents the only guaranteed money in his contract. The Packers could move on from him after two seasons and already save some cap space by doing it while he would have earned $21.5 million. In total, his deal is a five-year, $50 million contract though.

Didn't we have like the 6th ranked defense last year?

The Packers actually finished 13th in points allowed last season. I fully expect them to improve in that category in 2022.

I really like this pick. Folks saying we paid Campbell for 50Mill... yeah a FIVE-year deal -- That does not mean we will reach 5 years with him. Realistically, I see us sticking with Campbell for a minimum of one more year or a max of 3 yrs until we move on from him.

As long as Campbell performs up to expectations the structure of the contract allows the Packers to hold on to him for the entire length of the contract.

Reaction score
Radio dudes and dudette today mentioned he could line up inside or out. Use him like Z' was after Gary came around.
That’s a very intriguing concept.
I didn’t consider that they might try him more Rushing the Passer more than a traditional Off ball LB.

2 things :
While Quay didn’t rack up the Sacks in college, he was formidable at QB pressures.
Walker’s 1 common weakness was covering Receivers (or more athletic TE’s) in zone past about the 8-10 yard mark. If they used him more as a downhill force early in his career, that’s where his current strength lies. That’s attacking the Run, blitz stunts and covering the underneath stuff (such as screens and spying athletic QB’s). His strength will be in full display. He’s big enough to hurt many “running style” QB’s if they aren’t careful.

Last edited:

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Saw a post this morning and it wasn't sourced / I haven't independently checked/verified the numbers myself, so not re-posting it, but basically the claim was that Quay could potentially match or break the Packers rookie record for tackles in a season.

I believe AJ Hawk currently holds the record at 121 combined tackles in his rookie season.
Quay is on 114 at the moment with a game left to play.

Of course we are talking about a 16 vs 17 game season, though at the same time Walker did miss nearly 3/4 of the game vs Buffalo.
On the whole for rookie season AJ averaged 7.56 tackles per game and Walker is on 7.13.

I know he's been kind of up-and-down and is still fairly raw with a lot of room to improve but that's still kind of impressive to me!

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Saw a post this morning and it wasn't sourced / I haven't independently checked/verified the numbers myself, so not re-posting it, but basically the claim was that Quay could potentially match or break the Packers rookie record for tackles in a season.

I believe AJ Hawk currently holds the record at 121 combined tackles in his rookie season.
Quay is on 114 at the moment with a game left to play.

Of course we are talking about a 16 vs 17 game season, though at the same time Walker did miss nearly 3/4 of the game vs Buffalo.
On the whole for rookie season AJ averaged 7.56 tackles per game and Walker is on 7.13.

I know he's been kind of up-and-down and is still fairly raw with a lot of room to improve but that's still kind of impressive to me!

Didn’t Barnes do more than that pace when he was as thrust in? Less whole but per game I think he was above that?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn’t Barnes do more than that pace when he was as thrust in? Less whole but per game I think he was above that?

Checked he was in 13 total games but started 11 if you look at just starts he was not quite at 7.0.

Reaction score
Good stuff. What I enjoy about Quay is he likes to body slam people WWF style! J/k! I think?

He’s very physical. Hockenson found out the hard way Sunday! :eek:

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Quay can really cover in the passing game. I don't know if the Packers have ever had such a gifted LB in the past several decades who can play the pass so well. He's solid in the run game as well. I hope whoever is the DC next year finds a way to use Quay's speed to get after the QB on blitzes!

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which was less than Jamaal Williams for two hip thrusts celebrating a touchdown….asininely and ridiculous his shoving of a trainer is less.
Don't they fine players by the percentage of their salaries? Williams makes a lot more than Walker does. I just hope Quay grows up and learns to keep his temper in check going forward.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Don't they fine players by the percentage of their salaries? Williams makes a lot more than Walker does. I just hope Quay grows up and learns to keep his temper in check going forward.
Actually, Walker's rookie deal pays him more than Williams.

I don't think the fines are dependent on salaries. Now if a player is suspended for say a game, then his team wouldn't have to pay him for 1/17th of his yearly salary.

Here is the schedule for 2022 fines, with a note of: "all fines are considered minimums, meaning any mitigating or aggravating factors can result in even more money out of a player’s pocket."

• Physical Contact with Official — 1st offense: $37,232 | 2nd offense: $74,468
  • Horse Collar Tackle — 1st offense: $15,914 | 2nd offense: $21,218
  • Late Hit — 1st offense: $10,609 | 2nd offense: $15, 914
  • Blindside Block — 1st offense: $15,914 | 2nd offense: $21,218
  • Fighting — 1st offense: $37,232 | 2nd offense: $74,468
  • Unsportsmanlike Conduct — 1st offense: $13,261 | 2nd offense: $18,566
  • Football into Stands — 1st offense: $7,426 | 2nd offense: $12,731
  • Unapproved Visor Tint or Lack of Brand Marks — 1st offense: $5,305 | 2nd offense: $10,609
  • Unauthorized Logo/ Branding or Intellectual Property — 1st offense: $10,609 | 2nd offense: $21,218

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts