2022 Pick #22 Quay Walker

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My point is that most players need to figure out the game in stages. Quay is figuring out how to be smart and in the right places, which were the weak points in his college game. He's always been a physical player so I am happy to see him becoming a sound player. I think that the big hits will come back once he truly gets comfortable.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, Ray was a fullback in college. But I'm talking about hitting hard. I don't think you really have to grow into that. I remember playoff time and Nitschke would make a big hit early and it seemed to set the tone for the game. Anyway, I am very happy with Q. He wraps them up really well and he has the size to do that. btw I don't remember Bettis except the one on Atlanta.
As I recall Bettis wound up going to the Bears in 1963. There was no room for him aby more.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

Stupid is as stupid does. Not sure you can fix stupid.

Funny, I never saw much blow back over Kenny Clark's penalty against the Saints, when he tossed a guy like a rag doll. Walker plays pretty solid defense (one of the few players to do so) Thursday night, gets an admittedly stupid penalty on special teams and this is how fans react? Now maybe LeFleur was just protecting Quay, but as Matt said "We gotta do a better job of educating players as to what the rules are, so that's on me".

This is how players improve, they learn by their mistakes. Quay's learning curve is rising and I am still very happy with him in Green and Gold.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Funny, I never saw much blow back over Kenny Clark's penalty against the Saints, when he tossed a guy like a rag doll. Walker plays pretty solid defense (one of the few players to do so) Thursday night, gets an admittedly stupid penalty on special teams and this is how fans react? Now maybe LeFleur was just protecting Quay, but as Matt said "We gotta do a better job of educating players as to what the rules are, so that's on me".

This is how players improve, they learn by their mistakes. Quay's learning curve is rising and I am still very happy with him in Green and Gold.

This was at the very least Strike 2 and a half and ONLY because he didn't get himself ejected again.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Don't have to cut him. Players are motivated by other factors.
Bench him for a game or 2?

If Clark commits another dumb penalty or makes a bonehead mistake, same thing for him? Pull Love when he makes a bad throw? OL missing blocks, sit them too? Coach doesn't call a timeout and the penalty pushes them out of FG position, fire him?

Sounds like you have a strict discipline plan in mind, what is it? Just a reminder, Quay's previous 2 PF's were in 2022.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bench him for a game or 2?

If Clark commits another dumb penalty or makes a bonehead mistake, same thing for him? Pull Love when he makes a bad throw? OL missing blocks, sit them too? Coach doesn't call a timeout and the penalty pushes them out of FG position, fire him?

Sounds like you have a strict discipline plan in mind, what is it? Just a reminder, Quay's previous 2 PF's were in 2022.
IF the other instances cost the team 3 games 100%

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Special teams coach should be reviewing those rules, technique, and positioning in preseason every year. Then practice it. Playground methods are natural and aggressive. Much of what was legal throughout the history of the league is no longer.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The two times he was ejected last year, so that we had an inferior player in his position and specifically this week's game YES
You said 3 games:

So in this weeks game, his 1 penalty cost the Packers 4 points. Packers lost by 14 points, is your math that bad?

The Bills beat the Packers by 10 points, after Quay's first ejection. Are you saying his replacement was THAT bad?

Lions game. Quay's ejection was costly, but did it and it alone, really cost the Packers the game?

So if you bench him and an "inferior player" takes his spot, isn't that a circular argument?

This is what you said originally:

This was at the very least Strike 2 and a half and ONLY because he didn't get himself ejected again.

To me that implies "3 strikes and you are out". Out? What does that entail in your mind?

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The two times he was ejected last year, so that we had an inferior player in his position and specifically this week's game YES
Packers have had other players ejected over the years or committed silly egotist penalties. Johnny Jolley comes to mind. Teams used to be able to impose their own fines and discipline. This team as a whole commits too many penalties. And one saving grace is that our opponents have been right up there as well. All the X's and O's are great but coaching is the key to discipline and we are lacking there. Mentorship needs to come from veterans on the team. This year we do not really have many in that category. The veterans on the Packers during the Reggie-LeRoy era as well as the Driver-Woodson time did a pretty good job of it. The last group did not. I recall in 2001 we had a relatively easy game against Atlanta at home. One of our secondary named Chris Akins lines up in the neutral zone, precedes the snap into the backfield, and even after a whistle grabs the QB and slams his head into the ground. It cost us the game. Butler had gotten hurt earlier and was out of the game and in the locker room. Needless to say Mike Sherman chewed the kid out on the sideline and the next day he was no longer a Green Bay Packer.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You said 3 games:

So in this weeks game, his 1 penalty cost the Packers 4 points. Packers lost by 14 points, is your math that bad?

The Bills beat the Packers by 10 points, after Quay's first ejection. Are you saying his replacement was THAT bad?

Lions game. Quay's ejection was costly, but did it and it alone, really cost the Packers the game?

So if you bench him and an "inferior player" takes his spot, isn't that a circular argument?

This is what you said originally:

To me that implies "3 strikes and you are out". Out? What does that entail in your mind?
Let's start with the Buffalo game. YES the backups are that bad. We saw that last year, we're seeing it this year.

Lions: If he's in there I'll guarantee you the defense plays better for the rest of that game

This week: 7...kick the field goal down 10...2 possession game TD XP and FG tie it. He pulls his **** down 14...2 TD and 2 XP needed to tie.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Let's start with the Buffalo game. YES the backups are that bad. We saw that last year, we're seeing it this year.

Lions: If he's in there I'll guarantee you the defense plays better for the rest of that game

This week: 7...kick the field goal down 10...2 possession game TD XP and FG tie it. He pulls his **** down 14...2 TD and 2 XP needed to tie.
Major stretch to say all of this AND Quays 3 different penalties cost the Packers 3 games! Think what you want, I fully disagree and think it is a total over-reaction on your part.

Back to your original post, because you STILL have not addressed this and what you mean by it:

What did you mean? If he commits another penalty, what would YOU do? You have said that the defense is better with him. So what are you proposing with your 3 strike rule?