2022 Pick #22 Quay Walker

Cornelius Weems

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cool. I was just being fair and diplomatic. Walker and Campbell is gonna be insane.
Idk, hard for an unsigned rookie
Brother, Walker supplanted Barnes last night.

My point in posting that starting unit was this-- heading into the draft last night, there was one very clear spot on defense where a rookie could make an instant impact.

So while linebacker was surprising from a Packers trends perspective, it makes sense if they're trying to use picks to help them win right now.
Hard to say about an unsigned rookie yet to named starter, I'd think he'd actually be signed and make it through the preseason to be starter. I honestly hope so, but he fell for a reason. I hope it's like AR, and he turns out to be great, and eventually a HOF player, but I'm not holding my breath that it happens twice in less than 16 years.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Hard to say about an unsigned rookie yet to named starter, I'd think he'd actually be signed and make it through the preseason to be starter. I honestly hope so, but he fell for a reason. I hope it's like AR, and he turns out to be great, and eventually a HOF player, but I'm not holding my breath that it happens twice in less than 16 years.

Ever read something that leaves you more confused than when you started….

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

He fell? How high did you expect him to go?

Devin Lloyd... now he fell.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Wait hang on….does he think we drafted Travon Walker from Georgia and not Quay??
That’s the only thing I can think of…

Cornelius Weems

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ever read something that leaves you more confused than when you started….
Idk, what about that was confusing? He needs to be signed and make it through preseason to named starter.

I got him confused with the 28th pick, sorry about that.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Idk, what about that was confusing? He needs to be signed and make it through preseason to named starter.

I got him confused with the 28th pick, sorry about that.

In Wyatt's case, we do know the reasons he fell.

He's old and and he had some off-field trouble in his background.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have seen some analysts say Walker lacked athleticism and was more of a 2 down ilb. That seems opposite of what others are saying. Kind of confusing. He seems quite athletic from measurements

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have seen some analysts say Walker lacked athleticism and was more of a 2 down ilb. That seems opposite of what others are saying. Kind of confusing. He seems quite athletic from measurements
I've watched every Georgia game... I'm not an expert, but they're wrong. There's plenty of times he went from sideline to sideline and was able to drop in coverage. His athleticism definitely shows up on film.. If you look it up, I don't think he gave up a single touchdown in almost 600 snaps.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Walker can put the Packers in Base more often. He can be the thumper, Campbell can be the cover guy. Also I've heard that Walker CAN pretty much play all for spots. I had Walker later in the draft in some of the mocks I did. Not what I would've done, but once Burks was taken, Gute took the best player on the board.

Also isn't Campbell only getting about 30 Million?

coulomb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In Wyatt's case, we do know the reasons he fell.

He's old and and he had some off-field trouble in his background.

Dude is 24 years old, just a few years away from AARP years. I get it its all relative to the 20 year olds, but cmon. I'm excited about this pick. Defense needed another stout DL and got it.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Dude is 24 years old, just a few years away from AARP years. I get it its all relative to the 20 year olds, but cmon. I'm excited about this pick. Defense needed another stout DL and got it.

The age thing isn't a concern in the sense that a player can't be really good for a long time at age 24.

It's a concern in the sense that, historically speaking, a player who wasn't really good in college until he was 23 has a lower chance of NFL success.

So in other words, we will know right away if his age matters or not. If he's good as a rookie, then it's largely irrelevant.

Cornelius Weems

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Quay pick I will still think is a reach, our defense only allowed 14pts in their lone playoff game. It was combination of multiple bad things on offense that only scored 13pts, now it's going to be up to SW, RC, AJ, and AL for all our points now. Not addressing any offensive needs and instead drafting Quay means he better be a perineal pro-bowler.

Cornelius Weems

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Quay pick I will still think is a reach, our defense only allowed 14pts in their lone playoff game. It was combination of multiple bad things on offense that only scored 13pts, now it's going to be up to SW, RC, AJ, and AL for all our points now. Not addressing any offensive needs and instead drafting Quay means he better be a perineal pro-bowler.
Forgot to add Tonyan.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
14???

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's a good pick. A solid and versatile player, who will be especially good at covering TEs. Got speed, range and good sideway movement plus tackles well.

Between him, Campbell and Barnes we have upgraded one of our weakest areas from last year.

I believe he'll have a impact in Year 1.

Cornelius Weems

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry, they only scored 10pts and allowed 13pts. I do make mistakes as I live with a TBI. The point was, the offense looked horrible and the defense did it's job for the most part. Didn't we have like the 6th ranked defense last year? My point is, we didn't even address our most glaring problem. Quay is an ok pick, but another Adams like talent is NOT just waiting around.

Last edited:

grignon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like both these picks because the easiest way to get your defense off the field is get them into 3rd and long. That's been really difficult for the Packers for a long time because the run defense was so porous. If the other team is punting from their 15 instead of their 45, the need for splash plays on offense is reduced. Now if only the special teams wizard can work his magic.

Cornelius Weems

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which Adam's level pro bowler WR did we pass on?
Wow, you missed the point. The point is we have a very bad need at WR, can we say that honestly any player on the roster is better than a WR 3? Watkins is on his best day a WR 2. We have a glaring need, and Quay may or likely not, make up for that on a what was already a ranked (last year) top 10 overall defense. So an inside LB wasn't the best choice there. It's my opinion, if you disagree, that's your opinion. Free exchange of ideas, that's my point. Mine is Quay doesn't fill our most glaring need.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I wondered aloud before the draft whether the Packers would want a LB who complemented Campbell with a different kind of skill set (e.g. Chenal) or if they would want someone who could duplicate Campbell and play the same roles interchangeably.

The Packers have made it clear that it’s the latter. Campbell is actually a good NFL comp for Quay Walker. Super long (both have like 6’8” wingspans), fluid movers, comfortable working backwards, strong tacklers.

The way I see this defense working in the back 7 is that the personnel will be fairly static, but the deployment of that personnel will be variable. Because no one is pigeon-holed into playing in one particular spot or one particular manner. The safeties can be used interchangeably, the linebackers can be used interchangeably, the corners can all work inside or outside.

So keep that back seven unpredictable, rotate the front four like crazy to keep it fresh, and watch this unit hunt. It’s going to be fun.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, you missed the point. The point is we have a very bad need at WR, can we say that honestly any player on the roster is better than a WR 3? Watkins is on his best day a WR 2. We have a glaring need, and Quay may or likely not, make up for that on a what was already a ranked (last year) top 10 overall defense. So an inside LB wasn't the best choice there. It's my opinion, if you disagree, that's your opinion. Free exchange of ideas, that's my point. Mine is Quay doesn't fill our most glaring need.
But he was rated higher than any player left who did fill our most glaring need. I've said it all along grabbing a guy you have rated lower just because he fills a need is not a smart way to do things.

IMO disapproving of the pick because you don't think the player was worthy of the #22 pick is legit. Disapproving of the pick just because the player isn't a WR is not.

Members online

Latest posts