2022 Draft Romeo Doubs #132

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I don't see a top 40 or 50 either. But that's not necessary, if the results are spread out more than on one player.
Agreed. I wasn't implying that the Packers won't win with that type of WR room, just that it is wide open for a rookie like Doubs or anyone else for that matter, to be impactful each and every week.

I read an article this morning about the Chiefs and comparing their WR room to something similar to the Packers and then concluding the obvious, when you have one of the highest paid and performing QB's in the NFL, that is what ultimately can happen, cap has to be allocated elsewhere, since that better QB should be able to do more with less. Ideally for the Packers, both Doubs and Watson are bonified 1 and 2 receivers and for the next 4 seasons, provide the Packers with quality play, at a reduced price.

If Tampa Bay can ever get Evans, Godwin, Jones, Perriman and now Beasley, all healthy and game time ready, look out. That is one impressive WR room IMO.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man....after looking up the stats of all WRs, I may take back what I said dismissing him as a Top 50 type...he is proving me wrong in the very short term we are in to be there perhaps when discussing just WRs he is producing like a Top 50....whether he is one or not it is far too early to tell.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Further stats on him...of WRs with 10 targets or more:

He is 15th in YAC with 84
Where do you see that?

On the list I am looking at....he is 30th, with only 1 guy ahead of him with less than 10 targets. Did you mean receptions?

While YAC is an important stat, I think yds/tgt or yds/rec are more telling.

Reaction score
Not downplaying Doubs or any other young WR that makes a name for himself this season with the Packers. However, lets face it, the Packers WR room is one of the worst in the league and that is when it is healthy. So on any given Sunday, we may see a new WR pop into the decent statistic box and then disappear for a few games. As long as they stay healthy, the 2 AJ's are going to be the Packers bread and butter. As long as they keep winning, I don't care how they do it, but I don't think any of our WR's will sniff top 40 in stats, by the end of the year.

Side note: My new nickname for the 2 AJ's: "Bread and Butter".
Much of that I agree with. I still think we underestimate what a good Rookie can do. If things keeping shaping up the way it’s been with injuries? Doubs Could very well put up 900+ All/purpose yards.
If I’m not mistaken he’s pacing ~750+ right now?. I would think he might get more usage as the season wears on. Like 55% of his totals pie over the last 8 games and 45% over the first 9 games. Just my take and where I’m coming up with that 900 yard figure.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where do you see that?

On the list I am looking at....he is 30th, with only 1 guy ahead of him with less than 10 targets. Did you mean receptions?

While YAC is an important stat, I think yds/tgt or yds/rec are more telling.

Wide Receivers brother, you have to remove positions we are not comparing him to.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Much of that I agree with. I still think we underestimate what a good Rookie can do. If things keeping shaping up the way it’s been with injuries? Doubs Could very well put up 900+ All/purpose yards.
If I’m not mistaken he’s pacing ~750+ right now?. I would think he might get more usage as the season wears on. Like 55% of his totals pie over the last 8 games and 45% over the first 9 games. Just my take and where I’m coming up with that 900 yard figure.
Agreed, but when you have AR at QB, that is usually a big pie to split up amongst the guys catching balls. As well as what I said before, with our WR room, chances to step up and do your thing will be wide open this season. Doubs has earned a starting spot IMO, but if defenses start shutting him down, that might change.

I will make a "bold" prediction, if they both stay healthy, the 2 AJ's will be close to the top of the Packer stats in # of receptions, as will Tonyan.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

IT is crazy but if Lazard is hampered at all again and Watkins remains with health issues, there is a serious viable pathway for Doubs to easily get to 700 yards

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL....well don't I feel stupid! :oops:

I did the same thing originally which caused me to quickly dismiss him as a Top 50 WR....but his production (albeit VERY short season so far) is actually on par of that. Now for sure I'd struggle probably putting him ahead of many quite yet as far as overall Top 50, but he is producing Top 50 level in many many categories.

I couldn't get over the LOW catch percentage that Adams is having with Carr. Shocking really.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's rare, in the Packers system, where you throw to the guy that's open. In LeFleur's offense, the QB needs to throw the ball often before the WR even makes his cut. He has to trust that he'll be there when the ball arrives.

Another prime example of that is the back shoulder pass. Knowing that the receiver can disguise it well enough to convince the defender it's not going to happen is essential, or the defender has an easy pick.
I just disagree with this. Of course there are timing plays. But they are not the majority. And they should not be.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I couldn't get over the LOW catch percentage that Adams is having with Carr. Shocking really.
Carr is definitely not Aaron Rodgers and it might take time for those 2 to re-establish the Chemistry they once had at Fresno State. I did read today that going back to their time in college, yesterday was the 8th straight game that they have hooked up for a TD.

I doubt it bothers Davante that much to be 0-3 and with a team that has been on a pretty terrible run of bad management/coaching/drafting/playing. Afterall, he got paid and is closer to his family.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'd compare Doubs more to Jordy and not because of their jersey number. Pretty close in size and speed and it appears Doubs has been able to learn the playbook relatively quick. Good upper body strength and able to go up and high point the ball. I would be fine with him turning out as good as Jordy.

D

Deleted member 6794

However, lets face it, the Packers WR room is one of the worst in the league and that is when it is healthy.

While I agree at this point if Doubs is able to put up similar numbers in the upcoming games I would significantly more optimistic about the group as a whole.

He is amongst the leaders in the NFL WRs in many categories, yet those he is up there with have 2 or 3 starts listed. I couldn't find a good table to combine snap counts in there, but I suspect many of the leaders ahead of him all have more snaps than him.

I'm actually very curious to his production per snaps taken compared to the leaders....maybe if I'm bored I'll compile this manually as Pro-Football Reference didn't have a table in basic or advanced which included.

Doubs is currently ranked 29th among 79 receivers with at least 10 targets in yards per route run.

I just disagree with this. Of course there are timing plays. But they are not the majority. And they should not be.

Rodgers, like every other quarterback in the league, needs to trust his receivers to run the correct route on the majority of plays as otherwise passes fall incomplete or get intercepted.

Reaction score
Agreed, but when you have AR at QB, that is usually a big pie to split up amongst the guys catching balls. As well as what I said before, with our WR room, chances to step up and do your thing will be wide open this season. Doubs has earned a starting spot IMO, but if defenses start shutting him down, that might change.

I will make a "bold" prediction, if they both stay healthy, the 2 AJ's will be close to the top of the Packer stats in # of receptions, as will Tonyan.
Yeah. Plus we truly do have some WR who have been injury prone. I realize anyone can injure, but we are already seeing some signs of unavailability from older veterans.
It makes sense either Watson or Doubs had a nice chance of opportunities. It seems Doubs is the one with a fast start. That kid is terrific and to think he’s not even refined yet. So far the WR production is flip flopped with the draft placing on those 2.
Good point on the RB’s. We’ve got to get Dillon amped up he’s got terrific hands and he’s like a 20lb bowling ball in space

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I agree at this point if Doubs is able to put up similar numbers in the upcoming games I would significantly more optimistic about the group as a whole.

Doubs is currently ranked 29th among 79 receivers with at least 10 targets in yards per route run.

Rodgers, like every other quarterback in the league, needs to trust his receivers to run the correct route on the majority of plays as otherwise passes fall incomplete or get intercepted.
Being ranked 29th, after only getting one game of major exposure, as a rookie, is pretty darned high standards from where I stand. I see that as a good stepping stone for the Packers to take a real good look at how much more they can get out of him, in only his first year on the team.

It's possible the fast start is a fluke, but it's also possible that he's going to be a great addition for a long time, and if Watson can join him as being as effective, the Packers are going to have guys who can catch the ball for the fairly foreseeable future.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

For a guy with fewer snaps than essentially any of the top 40 WRs given his limited usage at first and only one start, in a VERY short sample size there is a ton to like about what he has been doing!

D

Deleted member 6794

Good point on the RB’s. We’ve got to get Dillon amped up he’s got terrific hands and he’s like a 20lb bowling ball in space

The Packers need to get Dillon going running the ball as well. He hasn't been impressive averaging only 3.45 yards per attempt.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers need to get Dillon going running the ball as well. He hasn't been impressive averaging only 3.45 yards per attempt.
sometimes Jones can make his own way even though the blocking is poor. If there is just a little space. But Dillon can't go too far unless he has the original hole. The blocking has to be better and since imho it is more difficult for linemen to run block than to pass block; the better run blockers are who we should be going with and in the positions where they are most effective doing that. Decent run blocking is what opens up the play action.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sometimes Jones can make his own way even though the blocking is poor. If there is just a little space. But Dillon can't go too far unless he has the original hole. The blocking has to be better and since imho it is more difficult for linemen to run block than to pass block; the better run blockers are who we should be going with and in the positions where they are most effective doing that. Decent run blocking is what opens up the play action.

Jone's shiftiness in tight quarters makes gains happen at times when nothing was there...or nothing happens.
Dillon in tight quarters can make nothing into two yards against nearly any defender out there...but if nothing is there, he is again ONLY getting two yards.

They so special in their own right.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just cannot express enough how much I appreciate this young man's maturity and where his head seems to always be. I pray this man explodes into one of our best, because kids need to see and hear more guys like him and Aaron Jones types that aren't cocky or "me-me-me" types; if they are they hide it so incredibly well.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I just cannot express enough how much I appreciate this young man's maturity and where his head seems to always be.
Agreed. Humble, team centered guy. Seems the Packers try to load their roster with that type of individual. Could be why certain free agents just aren't pursued by Gute and the Packers and why some are shown the door, sooner than expected.