2022 Draft Romeo Doubs #132

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good thing coaches don't use 1st few weeks of regular season to see who is real thing
Actually, they do. The weeding out process starts in camp, but it, and the preseason games, isn't sufficient enough to really judge where the team is headed.

During the first few weeks, teams will implement what they worked on in camp, change personnel in packages, and often cut players and add others, to insure they have better matches to what they want. A good coach will tell you that evaluation and implementation are ongoing processes that never end up being finished. There's always something new happening, that changes where you're heading. A lot of it deals with injuries.

But, your point is good, and so is Joe's. There's not much that you can really see and judge by just watching preseason games and reading camp notes. None of it means squat when the season starts.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Actually, they do. The weeding out process starts in camp, but it, and the preseason games, isn't sufficient enough to really judge where the team is headed.

During the first few weeks, teams will implement what they worked on in camp, change personnel in packages, and often cut players and add others, to insure they have better matches to what they want. A good coach will tell you that evaluation and implementation are ongoing processes that never end up being finished. There's always something new happening, that changes where you're heading. A lot of it deals with injuries.

But, your point is good, and so is Joe's. There's not much that you can really see and judge by just watching preseason games and reading camp notes. None of it means squat when the season starts.
He was referring to regular season. he takes tc and pre season with grain of salt. that's why I said what I said

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was referring to regular season. he takes tc and pre season with grain of salt. that's why I said what I said
Actually, I take them with a grain of salt too. As a fan, we don't see the best the team has to offer, and we can only get glimpses of how good guys will be. Then there's the fact that the guys we see most on the field during preseason won't even be on the team, or will be subs at best. We don't see the starters.

It's hard to gauge how good players are until t he real season starts. Even then, early on, it's hard to tell what they've got.

I think we're reading what he said differently. But, I do agree, it's a good thing the coaching staff doesn't take it with a grain of salt. It's their only chance to gauge the personnel they've been given to select from.

EDIT: Please note! I take preseason seriously, but I take what I see with a grain of salt because I don't totally know how the coaches are grading them. It's all just subjective observation on my part.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Actually, I take them with a grain of salt too. As a fan, we don't see the best the team has to offer, and we can only get glimpses of how good guys will be. Then there's the fact that the guys we see most on the field during preseason won't even be on the team, or will be subs at best. We don't see the starters.

It's hard to gauge how good players are until t he real season starts. Even then, early on, it's hard to tell what they've got.

I think we're reading what he said differently. But, I do agree, it's a good thing the coaching staff doesn't take it with a grain of salt. It's their only chance to gauge the personnel they've been given to select from.

EDIT: Please note! I take preseason seriously, but I take what I see with a grain of salt because I don't totally know how the coaches are grading them. It's all just subjective observation on my part.
All good

Reaction score
Preseason gives us a good idea of where fringe players are leaning. Both Fringe Roster players (bubble) and Fringe starter area (1st team worthy)

Last edited:
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doubs....last game 8 receptions on 8 targets for 73 yards (9.1 YPR) and 1 TD.

Season line: 14 receptions on 16 targets for 137 yards (9.8 YPR) and 1 TD. Has one rush for 11 yards as well.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Season line: 14 receptions on 16 targets for 137 yards (9.8 YPR) and 1 TD. Has one rush for 11 yards as well.
I was surprised they did not send him deep a couple times when he seemed one on one and being played tight. And that free play; Rodgers could have hit (I think Lazard) for a real good gain.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was surprised they did not send him deep a couple times when he seemed one on one and being played tight. And that free play; Rodgers could have hit (I think Lazard) for a real good gain.

I sense that was partly by design. With his elevated role and his deep threat reality he showed in college I think some quick hitting routes were their choice to catch TB on heels first drive. Things leveled out then.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Don't read this the wrong way as I don't mean it as a call-out or a "gotcha" or anything like that at all, but how does that track with your pre-season projections for him? I don't remember how you (or others) had predicted for him but I'd be curious to see how close he is to those numbers.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't read this the wrong way as I don't mean it as a call-out or a "gotcha" or anything like that at all, but how does that track with your pre-season projections for him? I don't remember how you (or others) had predicted for him but I'd be curious to see how close he is to those numbers.

Even though I was VERY HIGH on him he is exceeding my projections for sure. Lazard injury and Watkins now opened a door I always said could elevate him but going purely off memory I believe I predicted that 400 yard range at most with 4 TDs

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even though I was VERY HIGH on him he is exceeding my projections for sure. Lazard injury and Watkins now opened a door I always said could elevate him but going purely off memory I believe I predicted that 400 yard range at most with 4 TDs
Here's what I found just in a real quick search...You might've posted on the topic elsewhere too but this on Sept 1 had him down for 25 rec, 350 yards, and 2 TD...

So far, so good... :p

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am highly impressed by Romeo Doubs.

He reminds of Andre Johnson.

Big, strong, great hands, deceptive speed, and already as a rookie shows nice technique.

Clearly, Aaron Rodgers trusts him more and more.

Trust from AR12 WILL only embolden Doubs with confidence.

He is progressing from week to week, and even during the game he's correcting mistakes.

Doubs is looking like a steal. Much needed.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's what I found just in a real quick search...You might've posted on the topic elsewhere too but this on Sept 1 had him down for 25 rec, 350 yards, and 2 TD...

So far, so good... :p

I may have changed that some but yeah I didn't think he'd be our WR2 in games this quick, but knew if he had the chance he'd have a good chance of being successful. At this pace he will flirt with beating MVS recent rookie figures which were impressive.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I figured the only thing holding Doubs back from being a solid #2 or #3 in his first year would be the number of snaps he took, and the role he played in each one.

The number of catches he got against the Bucs exceeded my expectations, but the yardage and the TD were pretty much what I felt was in range.

What I saw on the field was a player "gets it," when Rodgers is making the decision as to where the ball is going to be thrown, before they're even there. So much of the game is played between a guy's ears, and Doubs is right on track learning the Packer system.

The difference between him and Amari Rodgers is that Doubs is quick to learn, whereas Amari seems to have a difficult time grasping the nuances of the RPO that Rodgers uses in changes at the line of scrimmage so often. That is where the game is played between the ears.

To those that might not understand, often, on running plays, Rodgers will have a series of pass options available, if he sees certain tendencies on the defense. He can make that change just before the snap, and receivers need to process it very quickly, so they make the right moves, to do what they are supposed to, and when. We saw a good example of it on the scrape route ran by Doubs and Lazard, where they crossed close together, and it pulled the defender off Doubs for a catch. It's a tight route that can create offensive pass interference if not done right. They executed it perfectly. Credit to the coaching staff, for getting them on the same page as Rodgers was.

How good is Doubs? I'm not going to say that we're going to forget about Adams. We never will. But, at this point, I'm going to say that Jordy Nelson is probably not a bit upset that they put his number on a pretty good player.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No offense McKnowledge because I like the things you say. But I am so sick and tired of hearing the word "trust." Lets play football and throw to the guy that's open.

Reaction score
To me he moves (and catches) like a slightly bigger version of Donald Driver. But with slightly more speed.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No offense McKnowledge because I like the things you say. But I am so sick and tired of hearing the word "trust." Lets play football and throw to the guy that's open.
It's rare, in the Packers system, where you throw to the guy that's open. In LeFleur's offense, the QB needs to throw the ball often before the WR even makes his cut. He has to trust that he'll be there when the ball arrives.

Another prime example of that is the back shoulder pass. Knowing that the receiver can disguise it well enough to convince the defender it's not going to happen is essential, or the defender has an easy pick.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Rodgers loves guys that get open or are where he expects you to be. Doubs does both, shoot that is why he always will throw to Winfree - dude makes space or is where Rodgers wants him. "Trust" isn't like a relational thing with Rodgers, it is a 'do your job well' type thing.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Not downplaying Doubs or any other young WR that makes a name for himself this season with the Packers. However, lets face it, the Packers WR room is one of the worst in the league and that is when it is healthy. So on any given Sunday, we may see a new WR pop into the decent statistic box and then disappear for a few games. As long as they stay healthy, the 2 AJ's are going to be the Packers bread and butter. As long as they keep winning, I don't care how they do it, but I don't think any of our WR's will sniff top 40 in stats, by the end of the year.

Side note: My new nickname for the 2 AJ's: "Bread and Butter".

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not downplaying Doubs or any other young WR that makes a name for himself this season with the Packers. However, lets face it, the Packers WR room is one of the worst in the league and that is when it is healthy. So on any given Sunday, we may see a new WR pop into the decent statistic box and then disappear for a few games. As long as they stay healthy, the 2 AJ's are going to be the Packers bread and butter. As long as they keep winning, I don't care how they do it, but I don't think any of our WR's will sniff top 40 in stats, by the end of the year.

I don't see a top 40 or 50 either. But that's not necessary, if the results are spread out more than on one player.

Arod2gjdd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with cutting him. All he does are returns. not worth a roster spot.
He's a massive mistake waiting to happen.

Rodgers loves guys that get open or are where he expects you to be. Doubs does both, shoot that is why he always will throw to Winfree - dude makes space or is where Rodgers wants him. "Trust" isn't like a relational thing with Rodgers, it is a 'do your job well' type thing.

Winfree was terrible yesterday

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I've broken down before in detail how that doesn't matter. About half of the Super Bowl champions I think it was like 15 or so didn't even have a WR with 1,000. No one is really saying anything that would contradict what you're claiming here either, unless I missed something.

Fact is though, Doubs really didn't do much more than he already has done all year. He has led targets up until now and left TB with an even further lead on that. Did nothing more or less than what you would have hoped in his role with Watkins out. Is he a Top 40 or 50 WR in the league hell no. Could he end up in there statistically in some stats...who knows, keeps this up he may squeek into the bottom part of them.

For reference he is a ways out still however. His 16 targets is 49th amongst WRs in the league so far. Eight of those came Sunday.
His 137 yards is good enough for 45th in the league. Shoot Adams only has 189 yards and 17 receptions (Doubs has 14 receptions)

Of WRs with 10 targets or more only one receiver has a higher completion percentage than Doubs, Russell Gage at 90.5 (19 receptions vs 21 targets).
Doubs is only one of 8 WRs with 80% or higher completion percentage.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Further stats on him...of WRs with 10 targets or more:

He is 15th in YAC with 84

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is amongst the leaders in the NFL WRs in many categories, yet those he is up there with have 2 or 3 starts listed. I couldn't find a good table to combine snap counts in there, but I suspect many of the leaders ahead of him all have more snaps than him.

I'm actually very curious to his production per snaps taken compared to the leaders....maybe if I'm bored I'll compile this manually as Pro-Football Reference didn't have a table in basic or advanced which included.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts