2024 Draft Prospect Discussions

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Taylor was the fourth back. Wilson was kept on the 53 and Taylor was game day elevations from the PS. When he ran out of options, he was cut and went to the NE practice squad. Packers resigned him for the season after Jones and Wilson were injured around Thanksgiving.

Last year was that long ago?
Damn was it last year? How soon I forget.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
I would be very surprised if GB drafted 2 RBs. Then again, I am very surprised every year, and not just with the Packers picks.
It would not surprise me at all. They did it with Jones and Williams. They have 11 draft picks and there is a need for RB. Jacobs is the clear #1 with Dillion as the clear #2. Dillion was statically one of the worst running backs in the league last year. If memory serves me correctly, he was dead last in yards after contact. I read the talk about Wilson but I'm not counting on him for anything. If they have a shot at Jon Brooks they should jump on it. It's possible he could last to the 2nd round no problem. Then take a flyer on an Aaron Jones guy like they did in the 5th round a few years ago. I wasn't high on Braelon Allen, but I saw a scouting video where he took one to the house and hit 21 mph. That's fast for that big of a dude.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm probably in a very small minority that would like it if the Packers drafted a WR in the 1st 4 rounds. Preferably a Watson speed type body that could potentially serve as kickoff returner #2 aside Nixon with the new KO rules. As fans, we have historically had a bad habit of significantly overvaluing every back end WR we have on the roster. If they can get a WR to improve upon the Pitts, Heath, Dubose, Toure's of the world, I hope they do it. Especially with 11 picks and especially since not 100% sold on if Watson's hamstring woes are behind him. If not, then this is year 3 of potentially half the games missed by your #1 deep threat and that isn't ideal.

While I think they could use a WR from the roster standpoint, there is a part of me that wants them to draft a WR just for the sheer social media drama since a large segment of people think that they should just ignore the WR position all together.
I think it would be a good idea, and some cheap insurance, to take a WR. Watson's hamstring problem has been following him for the last few years. I'm not convinced he'll be in the NFL much longer, well like 50/50. That would be a shame, but it's a very tough injury for a guy who relies on speed and acceleration.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would not surprise me at all. They did it with Jones and Williams. They have 11 draft picks and there is a need for RB. Jacobs is the clear #1 with Dillion as the clear #2. Dillion was statically one of the worst running backs in the league last year. If memory serves me correctly, he was dead last in yards after contact. I read the talk about Wilson but I'm not counting on him for anything. If they have a shot at Jon Brooks they should jump on it. It's possible he could last to the 2nd round no problem. Then take a flyer on an Aaron Jones guy like they did in the 5th round a few years ago. I wasn't high on Braelon Allen, but I saw a scouting video where he took one to the house and hit 21 mph. That's fast for that big of a dude.
I'd be happy if they got J.Brooks in round 2 and Allen in round 4 or 5. I'm not enthused about Dillon and Wilson. Dillon might not even make the 53, and depending on the draft and TC, Wilson will probably be put on the PS.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again, I hope Wilson is a smash! I just wouldn't bank on it if I were Gute. Given Dillon is only on a 1 year deal, with few guarantees and Wilson is your next guy up as of now, I expect Gute to go after at least 1 RB in Rounds 3-4 and possibly another later on. Having 4 solid RB's is a good problem to have. Right now the Packers have 1 1/2.
Yeah, Gluten isn't gonna leave MLF with Jacobs, Dillon and Wilson, especially when Dillon is likely to be cut and Wilson is likely to be on the PS.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Yeah, Gluten isn't gonna leave MLF with Jacobs, Dillon and Wilson, especially when Dillon is likely to be cut and Wilson is likely to be on the PS.
One thing I would never do is say "never". Wilson is young and who really knows just yet what he could turn into. Now what I did say is "Gute shouldn't count/rely on that happening." I hope Wilson is a smash hit and becomes the #2 RB and makes the Packers wonder if they need Jacobs around, who is leading the league in every possible category. :coffee: I just think Gute needs to have good contingent plans for guys like Wilson, who may be at the end of the line sooner, rather than later.

Now is the time to plug some holes and backfill the roster with fresh talent. Guys like Wilson are still on the roster because of potential. Unfortunately for him, that also means potential of being without a job in the NFL.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My question to those who think they are going to draft 2 RBs, a WR and such in these early rounds, when are they going to draft the positions that need actual starters? It is easy to say draft this guy in one thread, then they should draft this guy in another thread, then this guy is a Packer type in another thread and so on. I swear after reading multiple posts from people on here, one might surmise the Pack have 23 draft picks with a dozen of them in the 1st 2 days. I guess it just reminds me of the guy from Fast Times at Ridgemont High. His philosophy on dating was ask out as many girls as you can eventually one of them is going to say yes.

Kahless

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've done various mock drafts on various sites. I believe the Packers have a chance to draft two outstanding OL prospects with their first two picks, which I hope they do. They definitely have to draft a RB or two in this draft. An edge, LB, and DT as well. I do hope they do not WASTE picks on wildcard DBs in the first two rounds.

JPPT1974

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well need in having depth over on any team. Not just the Packers. As really need in like another WR in for backup and depth. And a #2 KOR there.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My question to those who think they are going to draft 2 RBs, a WR and such in these early rounds, when are they going to draft the positions that need actual starters? It is easy to say draft this guy in one thread, then they should draft this guy in another thread, then this guy is a Packer type in another thread and so on.
Yeah; with our clear needs at S, LB, OL, and probably CB, I don't see RB or WR (or even TE) in the 1st 2 rounds. Maybe one or the other in the 2nd half of Day 3, and one more of the two in Round 4, is more likely. And/or a flyer on a prospect in 5 or 6.

But.... who knows? Is there seriously any single one of us who thought there was even 1 chance in 50 that Gute was going to draft a quarterback in the 1st Round 5 years ago? Much less trade up to do it???

Gutekunst may very well be the most unpredictable GM in the NFL, and while to us fans that may sometimes be a little frustrating in the short term, I don't think I'd have it any other way. Because if ignorant, everyday peons like me can figure it out, so can other GMs, and that would be a disaster.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know it was in jest but would you take this tomorrow for J_Love? #11 & 23 this year plus 177. Their 2nds next 3 years, 3rd next two, plus their first next year?
That's a really interesting scenario. I'm gonna assume that Love continues at his elite level of play and say no. I'm also taking into account the skill players they already have on offense. It's pretty damn tempting. But what good is all that draft capital without a franchise QB? Also draft picks are always unknown quantities to some extent. It's still an interesting question. But if the goal is to win a SB as soon as possible, then no.

And you Poppa?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've done various mock drafts on various sites. I believe the Packers have a chance to draft two outstanding OL prospects with their first two picks, which I hope they do. They definitely have to draft a RB or two in this draft. An edge, LB, and DT as well. I do hope they do not WASTE picks on wildcard DBs in the first two rounds.
Good summary and very doable with the picks they have, with some left over. The only other scenario I like is if they trade some picks to move up and draft a top CB. They'll still be able to get their OL guys, a RB, and round out the defense at Edge and LB. I don't see an immediate need for a DL, but they could still add depth.

They have 11 picks, so there's plenty of draft capital to do this. Now how they perform? We can cover that once they start training and playing.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I know it was in jest but would you take this tomorrow for J_Love? #11 & 23 this year plus 177. Their 2nds next 3 years, 3rd next two, plus their first next year?
Depends on Gute and MLF's unbiased and unpublic opinion of Love. If they are lock solid that Love is IT, I think I would pass. If they still have big question marks, I would snap it up in a heartbeat.

Also, I would want to look at the QB stock in the 24 and 25 drafts and shop some of those proposed picks with the Bears and Commanders.

A bird in the had is worth more than 2 in the bush.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
My question to those who think they are going to draft 2 RBs, a WR and such in these early rounds, when are they going to draft the positions that need actual starters? It is easy to say draft this guy in one thread, then they should draft this guy in another thread, then this guy is a Packer type in another thread and so on. I swear after reading multiple posts from people on here, one might surmise the Pack have 23 draft picks with a dozen of them in the 1st 2 days. I guess it just reminds me of the guy from Fast Times at Ridgemont High. His philosophy on dating was ask out as many girls as you can eventually one of them is going to say yes.
While I haven't peddled what you are inferring, maybe some are thinking Gute will trade out of round 1 and pick up a 2nd and a 3rd by doing so? That would give him 6 picks in Rounds 2 and 3. Heck, he could trade Kenny Clark and pick up a couple of more earlier picks as well. Will that happen? I doubt it.

Personally, I'd be shocked if he drafted a WR before day 3. RB can wait as well, unless there is a guy out of the top 5 that he really loves, then one of the 3rd rounds. TE is about the same.

The logical approach is "fill your immediate needs" first. However, that isn't always the way Gute or any GM does it.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Musgrave, Sims and Kraft need to become much better blockers imo. Until that happens our running game won't hit peak efficiency. Also need better blocking out of the WR's.
I realize you covered your *** with the peak efficiency comment but we need a good blocking O line much more. They are the ones that make the running game go.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've seen several comments about "if" Love is the guy. When we pay him; (as we most likely will), we'll have committed to him being the man. Can't really account for injuries which is a reason to wait a bit. Although price tag may go up.

Krabs

Reaction score
Obvious speculation, but they could take OL in round 1 and then with the first of the round 2 picks they could take a safety/corner. Their 2nd round 2 pick they could take a running back. They could go vice versa as well and go CB in the first and OL and RB in the 2nd. Again, with 11 picks in the draft. They have a lot of options. If an elite RB is there in the 2nd round they can fill LB, OL and S in the 3rd.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I've seen several comments about "if" Love is the guy. When we pay him; (as we most likely will), we'll have committed to him being the man. Can't really account for injuries which is a reason to wait a bit. Although price tag may go up.
I think history backs anyone's question marks on a 1 year starter, especially a QB. Think of all the young QB's that show a lot of promise early, but never get over the hump and end up fizzling out.

Honestly, my biggest concern with J. Love is his film. Now that 31 teams have a decent body of his work to look at, I expect opposing defenses to play much better against him. The question is, will Love continue to progress and adapt?
When it comes to Love's contract, Gute and the Packers are kind of in a tough spot. They may want to wait at least until halfway into the season, before pulling the trigger on a big contract. Why? If Love struggles in his 2nd year, then they aren't locked into a huge contract with him. If Love continues to look like the real deal, then lock him up. Might cost a bit more for that information, via a bigger asking number from Love, but IMO, worth it.

Krabs

Reaction score
I think history backs anyone's question marks on a 1 year starter, especially a QB. Think of all the young QB's that show a lot of promise early, but never get over the hump and end up fizzling out.

Honestly, my biggest concern with J. Love is his film. Now that 31 teams have a decent body of his work to look at, I expect opposing defenses to play much better against him. The question is, will Love continue to progress and adapt?
When it comes to Love's contract, Gute and the Packers are kind of in a tough spot. They may want to wait at least until halfway into the season, before pulling the trigger on a big contract. Why? If Love struggles in his 2nd year, then they aren't locked into a huge contract with him. If Love continues to look like the real deal, then lock him up. Might cost a bit more for that information, via a bigger asking number from Love, but IMO, worth it.
In terms of the draft, they will go into it picking players as though Love is their guy. It won't change their strategy in terms of who they pick this year. I think they go OL early and often. They might go CB, which they love to do, first, but they will nab some offensive lineman in this draft. It wouldn't surprise me if they left with 3-4 new guys and then bring in more from the undrafted pool. I think they want to protect Love and then utilize the running game a lot more with Jacobs. This all requires depth on the oline. GPG!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
In terms of the draft, they will go into it picking players as though Love is their guy. It won't change their strategy in terms of who they pick this year.
I most definitely agree, unless there is some information on Love that we don't have (pending criminal offenses, career threatening injury, planned darkness retreat, running for VP...) :coffee:

When it comes to Gute and most GM's, actions speak louder than words. I think by this coming Sunday, we will know a lot more about how the Packers feel about their current roster and what weaknesses needed to be addressed.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
On May 3rd, Green Bay and Love are officially on the clock for an extension/ new contract. I'm all in on the Love train, and want him extended asap. There are Pros and Cons to waiting, but I feel the Pros out weigh the Cons the sooner they work out a new deal.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
On May 3rd, Green Bay and Love are officially on the clock for an extension/ new contract. I'm all in on the Love train, and want him extended asap. There are Pros and Cons to waiting, but I feel the Pros out weigh the Cons the sooner they work out a new deal.

While I get what you are saying, the difference between knowing he is a FHOF QB and knowing he isn't, is quite large contract and dollar wise. Right now I think the Packers, as well as Love feel he is trending towards the FHOF QB, more than he is headed to being JAG.

So one has to ask themselves, what does that do to a contract if he is signed today? Probably puts him in the $45M/year range. So let's say the Packers wait until Nov. to resign him and we have 3 possible scenarios at that time, what is his contract value at each scenario?

- Very Good season, looks legit and continues to impress.

- Struggling, doesn't look as good as he did in 2023.

- Season ending injury, availability in 2024 uncertain.

If we learned nothing else from Bahk and a few other players, what is the rush to enter into a new contract, when the player is already under contract? Sure, there is the chance Love says "FU guys, I'm going to just play out my 5th year deal and hit Free Agency and land the biggest contract ever in the NFL." If that happens, the Packers always have the Franchise tag, which buys them more time.

I get it, you want to keep your QB happy, but didn't we see how that worked out with Rodgers? Before the Packers handcuff their future to just 1 player again, I want to be really sure about his abilities.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obvious speculation, but they could take OL in round 1 and then with the first of the round 2 picks they could take a safety/corner. Their 2nd round 2 pick they could take a running back. They could go vice versa as well and go CB in the first and OL and RB in the 2nd. Again, with 11 picks in the draft. They have a lot of options. If an elite RB is there in the 2nd round they can fill LB, OL and S in the 3rd.
Based on your thoughts on rounds 1 & 2 I am guessing you probably meant LB, OL or S in the 3rd. At present they could not fill all 3. I agree for the most part. My unimportant thinking is go BPA at 25. If BPA is not a LB-S-OL-CB try and fill those with your day 2 picks. If it is one of those positions go BPA at 41. Again, hopefully you have picked someone from the 3 positions left. If not you still have 3 picks to cover the 3 remaining positions. If 41 is one of the 3 remaining "need" positions go BPA at 58. I think you get my drift. Hopefully the board falls where the 5 picks between 25 & 91 lead to a quality LB-S-OL-CB and the highest guy on his board not from one of those positions. Day3 double up at OL-S & LB at some point as well as addressing expiring contracts and guys getting a little long in the tooth if a DT or DE was not the BPA from the 1st 2 days. RB to me falls into that 3rd round BPA or a day 3 fourth or 5th rounder. 6th and 7th rounds might be better spent on some doubling up and find an UDFA as your 2nd back in camp. Just somebody thinking out loud. As always this is just my opinion.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
While I get what you are saying, the difference between knowing he is a FHOF QB and knowing he isn't, is quite large contract and dollar wise. Right now I think the Packers, as well as Love feel he is trending towards the FHOF QB, more than he is headed to being JAG.

So one has to ask themselves, what does that do to a contract if he is signed today? Probably puts him in the $45M/year range. So let's say the Packers wait until Nov. to resign him and we have 3 possible scenarios at that time, what is his contract value at each scenario?

- Very Good season, looks legit and continues to impress.

- Struggling, doesn't look as good as he did in 2023.

- Season ending injury, availability in 2024 uncertain.

If we learned nothing else from Bahk and a few other players, what is the rush to enter into a new contract, when the player is already under contract? Sure, there is the chance Love says "FU guys, I'm going to just play out my 5th year deal and hit Free Agency and land the biggest contract ever in the NFL." If that happens, the Packers always have the Franchise tag, which buys them more time.

I get it, you want to keep your QB happy, but didn't we see how that worked out with Rodgers? Before the Packers handcuff their future to just 1 player again, I want to be really sure about his abilities.
3 scenarios?? What about a 4th scenario that he is better than "Having a very good season"?? Regardless, I said I'm all in. They traded up and drafted Love when they had ARod. They proceeded to trade the 4 time MVP, and gave the keys to Love after 3 years of sitting behind Rodgers. Love had some bumps along the way, but he guided the Packers to the Playoffs, and a Playoff road win, not to mention almost 2. Sure, they could wait until November like you suggest, which isn't a bad strategy, but that decision could also blow up in their face, and could cost them more than $45M per season, and/or worse.

Members online

Latest posts