2022 Draft #34 Christian Watson

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man, I really hope this kid hits his ceiling or I have a feeling we’re going to regret not taking Pickens. I know it’s early, but he’s looking like the stud I watched in college.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man, I really hope this kid hits his ceiling or I have a feeling we’re going to regret not taking Pickens. I know it’s early, but he’s looking like the stud I watched in college.
Who is Pickens and who took him? It's been a long time since the draft. As it stands, Watson is going to have to work hard to earn a 4th or 5th spot on the roster, especially given Doubs early progress. Watson has to get on the field.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who is Pickens and who took him? It's been a long time since the draft. As it stands, Watson is going to have to work hard to earn a 4th or 5th spot on the roster, especially given Doubs early progress. Watson has to get on the field.
George Pickens, Steelers 2nd round pick. He's their Doubs, making "wow" plays every day in camp. Just caught a toe-tapping TD in the 1st preseason game.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
George Pickens was my circled first round WR….can we not discuss the fact of him being bypassed by us so often.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pickens has loads of talent but there were lots of reports of red flags about his character. Will be interesting to watch him going forward

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watson missed some time at ND, so his immediate injury with Green Bay isn't a good sign. He needs to get back very soon or his rookie season is going to be an uphill struggle to get in synch with the offense. As far as Pickens is concerned, I know I really did some dumb stuff between 18 and 21 years old, so its hard to know if a player has character issues as they mature with the exception of violence which is a no go red flag.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watson missed some time at ND, so his immediate injury with Green Bay isn't a good sign. He needs to get back very soon or his rookie season is going to be an uphill struggle to get in synch with the offense. As far as Pickens is concerned, I know I really did some dumb stuff between 18 and 21 years old, so its hard to know if a player has character issues as they mature with the exception of violence which is a no go red flag.
Agreed. Watson is already two weeks behind. He really needs to play in the next two PS games. If Doubs keeps playing well, Watson is gonna get stuck behind him.

Now that's not necessarily a bad thing. You want your best guys on the field. There are only so many opportunities that come along. He needs to heal up and get on the field.

Reaction score
Its never good a guy having surgery after the draft. 4th round Vince Biegel is a perfect example (although Vinces’ dual foot surgery was not good!)

That said. Christian Watson is so darn athletic, when he’s back up to speed (in the next month or so) he’s going to Win on pure athleticism. Look what he did in a Run heavy Offense. One place Christian is underestimated is as a blocker. On college film he was found running his DB off of the film! He’s so fast off the snap and shows ++ physical effort that many DB’s can’t get away from him is what it appeared. He may be our grunt like Lazard was but with a plus upside over 2020 Lazard Receiving.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its never good a guy having surgery after the draft. 4th round Vince Biegel is a perfect example (although Vinces’ dual foot surgery was not good!)

That said. Christian Watson is so darn athletic, when he’s back up to speed (in the next month or so) he’s going to Win on pure athleticism. Look what he did in a Run heavy Offense. One place Christian is underestimated is as a blocker. On college film he was found running his DB off of the film! He’s so fast off the snap and shows ++ physical effort that many DB’s can’t get away from him is what it appeared. He may be our grunt like Lazard was but with a plus upside over 2020 Lazard Receiving.
Well I hope you're right. He will have very little time to acclimate to the pros. Speed is a plus, but as we saw with MVS, it's not enough. So if he can block, that's great. MVS didn't even try blocking. He would have been broken in half.

Reaction score
Speed is a plus, but as we saw with MVS, it's not enough.
I’m not sure if you knew this, but until his Pro Day Christian Watson RAS was not just great in comparison to MVS, it showed he’s not just long speed like in his scouting comparison to MVS. I saw that singular scout comparison early in. Then we have the critics that say he can’t play against superior competition. He went to the Senior Bowl and was arguably the best Receiver in the country against the best college DBs. I watched him with my own eyes and he was better than Romeo, keep in mind Doubs looked solid out there. Yes, including top FBS drafted players. He’s not MVS! that’s a severe mistake comparison that was made well before he tested out and he made that scout eat crow.

Think about this for a second. Out of 2,688 Wideouts testing at combine since 1987, Christian Watson ranked #2 overall.
To put that in perspective he beat Julio Jones and Javon Walker. Calvin Johnson is his true comparison. When he went to his Pro Day they adjusted his score downward score for his poor 6.95 time on the 3-Cone. They were trying to find a way to erase his Mary Lou Retton perfect performance and it dropped him hard to a 9.96 athletic score. Christian’s NFL agent reported later that a litany of teams pre draft that had scouted him closely (including a top running drafting candidate, Tampa Bay) The resounding thing he had heard was early 2nd round, universally. With all due respect to an overachiever, MVS was a consensus 6-7 Round 1-trick pony.
Now, I’m not denying MVS is very fast, nor do I want anything but success for Marquez. At his top speed “flying 20” etc.. he might even equal Watson? Maybe maybe.

However, Watson beat him on the 40 yard and EVERY last drill they tested. MVS Is NOT Christian Watson.
Christian long jumped MVS by a 12”
Christian Verticals MVS by 8”
Christian runs a 1.45 10 yard;
“ 2.45 20 yard split.
That’s not fast.. that’s super human! We have Steve Austin on our side post surgery! :roflmao:

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m not sure if you knew this, but until his Pro Day Christian Watson RAS was not just great in comparison to MVS, it showed he’s not just long speed like in his scouting comparison to MVS. I saw that singular scout comparison early in. Then we have the critics that say he can’t play against superior competition. He went to the Senior Bowl and was arguably the best Receiver in the country against the best college DBs. I watched him with my own eyes and he was better than Romeo, keep in mind Doubs looked solid out there. Yes, including top FBS drafted players. He’s not MVS! that’s a severe mistake comparison that was made well before he tested out and he made that scout eat crow.

Think about this for a second. Out of 2,688 Wideouts testing at combine since 1987, Christian Watson ranked #2 overall.
To put that in perspective he beat Julio Jones and Javon Walker. Calvin Johnson is his true comparison. When he went to his Pro Day they adjusted his score downward score for his poor 6.95 time on the 3-Cone. They were trying to find a way to erase his Mary Lou Retton perfect performance and it dropped him hard to a 9.96 athletic score. Christian’s NFL agent reported later that a litany of teams pre draft that had scouted him closely (including a top running drafting candidate, Tampa Bay) The resounding thing he had heard was early 2nd round, universally. With all due respect to an overachiever, MVS was a consensus 6-7 Round 1-trick pony.
Now, I’m not denying MVS is very fast, nor do I want anything but success for Marquez. At his top speed “flying 20” etc.. he might even equal Watson? Maybe maybe.

However, Watson beat him on the 40 yard and EVERY last drill they tested. MVS Is NOT Christian Watson.
Christian long jumped MVS by a 12”
Christian Verticals MVS by 8”
Christian runs a 1.45 10 yard;
“ 2.45 20 yard split.
That’s not fast.. that’s super human! We have Steve Austin on our side post surgery! :roflmao:
All of the stats are great and promising. At tis point I just want to see him get some snaps. College ball and the NFL are very different.

Reaction score
All of the stats are great and promising. At tis point I just want to see him get some snaps. College ball and the NFL are very different.
Sure. I guess you could say that about any rookie on any team at any position group :eek:

One of MVS weaknesses was ball tracking in college. That’s a really important feature for a Wideout. While ball tracking can improve, it’s also very instinctual. Long Ball tracking was listed as Christian’s strength.

Christian’s main slight was he had a high drop rate, particularly in one season. Yet when you look further into that story you’ll find it averages .308 drops per game (16 in his college career). So if we add all 16 drops and factored 0% drops in his entire college career it would be 2.02+.308
or 2.328 catches per game!

Per season averaged for college

Christian Watson

26.3 catches (avg)
535 yards (avg)
13 contests (average)
20.3 per (avg)
2.02 catches per contest
2.328 factoring 0 drops (see above)

As we can see, The amount that Christian was thrown to in college was bordering on minuscule when looking around at other WR in college. Kinda hard to get any rhythm when you only see the ball 4 times per game. Imagine knowing you’ll average 20+yards per touch but you never see the ball? No wonder why he was excited to get a ball thrown his way!
Drake London
53.3 catches
717 yards
7.3 contests “
13.5 per
7.3 catches per contest

Jameson Williams (Injured)
31.3 catches (average)
612.7 yards
8.3 contests (avg)
19.6 (avg)
3.77 catches per contest
Treylon Burks
49 catches
806 yards
10.7 contests
16.4 (avg)
4.58 catches per contest
Chris Olave
44 catches per season
677.8 yards per season
9.5 contests
15.4 (avg)
4.63 catches per game
Garrett Wilson
47.7 catches per season
10.7 contests
15.5 (avg)
4.46 catches per game

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure. I guess you could say that about any rookie on any team at any position group :eek:

One of MVS weaknesses was ball tracking in college. That’s a really important feature for a Wideout. While ball tracking can improve, it’s also very instinctual. Long Ball tracking was listed as Christian’s strength.

Christian’s main slight was he had a high drop rate, particularly in one season. Yet when you look further into that story you’ll find it averages .308 drops per game (16 in his college career). So if we add all 16 drops and factored 0% drops in his entire college career it would be 2.02+.308
or 2.328 catches per game!

Per season averaged for college

Christian Watson

26.3 catches (avg)
535 yards (avg)
13 contests (average)
20.3 per (avg)
2.02 catches per contest
2.328 factoring 0 drops (see above)

As we can see, The amount that Christian was thrown to in college was bordering on minuscule when looking around at other WR in college. Kinda hard to get any rhythm when you only see the ball 4 times per game. Imagine knowing you’ll average 20+yards per touch but you never see the ball? No wonder why he was excited to get a ball thrown his way!
Drake London
53.3 catches
717 yards
7.3 contests “
13.5 per
7.3 catches per contest

Jameson Williams (Injured)
31.3 catches (average)
612.7 yards
8.3 contests (avg)
19.6 (avg)
3.77 catches per contest
Treylon Burks
49 catches
806 yards
10.7 contests
16.4 (avg)
4.58 catches per contest
Chris Olave
44 catches per season
677.8 yards per season
9.5 contests
15.4 (avg)
4.63 catches per game
Garrett Wilson
47.7 catches per season
10.7 contests
15.5 (avg)
4.46 catches per game
As I said the NFL isn't college, so the college stats don't mean a lot to me. I do look at the Combine stats, and even those aren't worth that much. He's fast and I guess he drops a lot of balls. The success of any college player is dependent on how well they make the adjustment to the NFL and playing against the best. He's gotta fix the drops. I like to stick to basics.

Reaction score
As I said the NFL isn't college, so the college stats don't mean a lot to me. I do look at the Combine stats, and even those aren't worth that much. He's fast and I guess he drops a lot of balls. The success of any college player is dependent on how well they make the adjustment to the NFL and playing against the best. He's gotta fix the drops. I like to stick to basics.
Oh I’m not arguing with you, I’m actually agreeing with you in a sense. Opportunities are a key to growth and growth and experience improves efficiency (drops)

I was just offering a simple display about his weaknesses, which are drops. The that when you get 2.3 possible catches per game and you compare that to his peers who I didn’t even adjust for their drops? In college he got about 1/3 the opportunity as them. He’s was in a system where he barely saw the ball and they used him out of the backfield in reverses etc., on ST and much blocking for the running game.

I like target shooting. If I give you shooter A about 12 rounds of ammunition per week and ask you on Sunday to hit a target from 100 yards with those rounds… each time analyzing your performance between several rounds..
Then give shooter B about 4 rounds and ask him to hit the exact same target/distance. I would argue that more often than not, shooter B will have a more volatile result/average distance from ideal.

That’s the only point I was making, is that there’s good argument his weakness won’t show up as nearly dramatic if he’s given 12 rounds a week (or 20!)

I remember a specific day Michael Jordan played a game and was 0-6 in shots from the field. By the end of the game he was like 20 of 30 for 45 points.

Practice makes perfect, but as you said live games and increased opportunities are detrimental.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh I’m not arguing with you, I’m actually agreeing with you in a sense. Opportunities are a key to growth and growth and experience improves efficiency (drops)

I was just offering a simple display about his weaknesses, which are drops. The that when you get 2.3 possible catches per game and you compare that to his peers who I didn’t even adjust for their drops? In college he got about 1/3 the opportunity as them. He’s was in a system where he barely saw the ball and they used him out of the backfield in reverses etc., on ST and much blocking for the running game.

I like target shooting. If I give you shooter A about 12 rounds of ammunition per week and ask you on Sunday to hit a target from 100 yards with those rounds… each time analyzing your performance between several rounds..
Then give shooter B about 4 rounds and ask him to hit the exact same target/distance. I would argue that more often than not, shooter B will have a more volatile result/average distance from ideal.

That’s the only point I was making, is that there’s good argument his weakness won’t show up as nearly dramatic if he’s given 12 rounds a week (or 20!)

I remember a specific day Michael Jordan played a game and was 0-6 in shots from the field. By the end of the game he was like 20 of 30 for 45 points.

Practice makes perfect, but as you said live games are detrimental.
I didn't say live games are detrimental. Like many others, I wait to see how a player performs in the regular season before saying anything about him.

Reaction score
I didn't say live games are detrimental. Like many others, I wait to see how a player performs in the regular season before saying anything about him.
Oh I see. So you do not discuss Rookie players until after the regular season.
I get that, but It’s still Preseason..

why are you in this thread on a Rookie and seemingly adverse to others who want to discuss the player? You’ve responded to multiple posts :coffee:

do I need to pull out some Oldschool Jokes to cheer you up?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Patrick Ma Holmes and Christian Watson are on a camping trip.

In the middle of the night MaHolmes wakes up and gives C. Watson a nudge. “Watson” he says, “look up in the sky and tell me what you see.” “I see millions of stars, MaHolmes,” says Watson. “And what do you conclude from that, Watson?” Watson thinks for a moment. “Well,” he says, “astronomically, it tells me that there are millions of galaxies and potentially billions of planets. Astrologically, I observe that Saturn is in Leo. Horologically, I deduce that the time is approximately a quarter past three. Meterologically, I suspect that we will have a beautiful day tomorrow to play Football. Theologically, I see that God is all-powerful, and we are small and insignificant. Uh, what does it tell you, MaHolmes?” “Watson, you idiot! Someone has stolen our tent!”

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Practice makes perfect, but as you said live games and increased opportunities are detrimental.
I should have been more clear. All the stats you provided on "Christian" don't mean much to me because they were against vastly inferior competition. The only way we can really measure a rookie is during the regular season. It's fine to track their progress in camp, especially when they're lighting it up day after day like Doubs. But even he has to prove it in real games. That's all.

And speaking of camp, I was surprised that Daffy was cut. Another commenter suggested he stick around GB and will likely have a job in September, on the roster or the PS. I'd rather see him play the blocking TE and let DeGuarra catch balls.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And speaking of camp, I was surprised that Daffy was cut. Another commenter suggested he stick around GB and will likely have a job in September, on the roster or the PS. I'd rather see him play the blocking TE and let DeGuarra catch balls.
I may be wrong (4th time this year?) but Dafney's "role" was more FB than TE, which is a waste IF the Online blocks & the motion keeps D's off-balance. I like that GB cut him early to possibly give him a chance to latch on elsewhere.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I may be wrong (4th time this year?) but Dafney's "role" was more FB than TE, which is a waste IF the Online blocks & the motion keeps D's off-balance. I like that GB cut him early to possibly give him a chance to latch on elsewhere.
That makes sense too. If he doesn't have a future in GB, he can find a home elsewhere. He is a good FB.

Members online

Latest posts