2022 Draft #34 Christian Watson

realitybytez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sorry but strongly disagree that MVS never got better.

Not saying I think he was worth the contract he got, but absolutely not true that he didn't get better.
well, in year two he dropped more balls and gained fewer yards. year three looked like he was improving (his best year). then last year he had injury issues, but all of his numbers regressed. based solely on 2020, you could make a case that he improved, but i'm not buying it.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my opinion the improvement was rather obvious. More physical at the point of attack. was more aggressive in his catches and not letting them come to him, but going to get it. Back shoulder routes and his body language changed as well.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well, in year two he dropped more balls and gained fewer yards. year three looked like he was improving (his best year). then last year he had injury issues, but all of his numbers regressed. based solely on 2020, you could make a case that he improved, but i'm not buying it.

Your purely looking at what espn statlines tell you. It's pointless for me to discuss positioning, blocking, his releases, route tree growth and how we started seeing his ball attacking in air improving.......but his yards dropped...he played less games and had less snaps in 2021 than any year in his career so no kidding things would drop off some.

realitybytez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
but his yards dropped...he played less games and had less snaps in 2021 than any year in his career so no kidding things would drop off some.
dude. is mvs paying you to shill for him. lol.

i already mentioned that he had less games in 2021, but that doesn't really change the fact that yards per reception, yards per game and catch% all regressed.

you know, i'm generally very thankful and supportive of your posts. on this matter, i just disagree. i kept waiting for a breakout year, and it never really happened.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dude. is mvs paying you to shill for him. lol.

i already mentioned that he had less games in 2021, but that doesn't really change the fact that yards per reception, yards per game and catch% all regressed.

you know, i'm generally very thankful and supportive of your posts. on this matter, i just disagree. i kept waiting for a breakout year, and it never really happened.

Never said he had a "breakout" year or that he was some incredible receiver. I merely was pushing back on the he regressed or got worse claim, simply not true is all.

I'm cool with disagreeing with you - still good :tup:

D

Deleted member 6794

i remember how excited i was about mvs after his first season and expecting him to get much better. sadly he never really did. i seriously can't understand why the chiefs would pay so much for a guy who catches less than 50% of the balls thrown to him.

You need to consider MVS' average depth of target when taking a look at his catch percentage. Most receivers being mostly targeted on deep balls don't end up having a significantly better one than him.

With that being said I don't understand the contract the Chiefs signed him to either.

realitybytez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You need to consider MVS' average depth of target when taking a look at his catch percentage. Most receivers being mostly targeted on deep balls don't end up having a significantly better one than him.
i understand that, really i do. i just remember a lot of dropped balls leading to stalled drives. but i'm old and my memory isn't perfect.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't help but think they have been kind of stashing him and the vikes are gonna be caught with their shoelaces untied as he streaks by them. Wishful thinking I suppose.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't help but think they have been kind of stashing him and the vikes are gonna be caught with their shoelaces untied as he streaks by them. Wishful thinking I suppose.
Reminiscent of Moss in 1998? 5 catches, 190 yds & 2 TD's.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

We all would love this, I do suspect especially if Lazard is out Watson will for sure dress and while I suspected less than ten snaps, he could see more and with his raw skillset who knows what could happen

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reminiscent of Moss in 1998? 5 catches, 190 yds & 2 TD's.
I just looked it up and Moss had really elite speed. And timing. And hands. But it seems that Watson should still be able to get deep with his speed.

Reaction score
I just looked it up and Moss had really elite speed. And timing. And hands. But it seems that Watson should still be able to get deep with his speed.
Yes! Just something to note. Only Patrick Peterson has a comparable 40 time to Watson (4.34) Every other starting DB the Vikings have is a 4.55-4.60 speed guy. Harrison Smith is a really good DB and he plays faster than his 4.57 40 time, but he's no match for Christians 4.36 Speed if he doesn't keep the play in front of him.

That was the reason Tampa picked on Sully in the NFC game, it was very evident he couldn't flow with those Tampa WR and they very methodically exploited it

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

Yes! Just something to note. Only Patrick Peterson has a comparable 40 time to Watson (4.34) Every other starting DB the Vikings have is a 4.55-4.60 speed guy. Harrison Smith is a really good DB and he plays faster than his 4.57 40 time, but he's no match for Christians 4.36 Speed if he doesn't keep the play in front of him.

That was the reason Tampa picked on Sully in the NFC game, it was very evident he couldn't flow with those Tampa WR and they very methodically exploited it
Peterson still runs a 4.34???? He's pretty old to be running that fast.

Reaction score

Peterson still runs a 4.34???? He's pretty old to be running that fast.
lol. Yeah he probably doesn't anymore, but he's still plenty fast and no other MN starter has sub 4.5 speed, so he's still their fastest DB

While Christian ran an official 4.36, I also saw where he ran an unofficial 4.28. My guess is he's closer to 4.3 than 4.4 40 time. He's certainly fast enough to earn Safety respect if he runs a few Go routes, unless they want to give us an easy 7 pts.

I remember reading that several years ago he was recorded on a Bison GPS radar breaking 23MPH, that's fast enough to put him in contention as one of the most dangerous players in the NFL if left unattended. There was a play I watched with my own eyes where he was blocking on the opposite side of field and actually came clear across the field and almost caught up to his own teammate as he scored. He's very reminiscent of that play that Metcalf closed on the dude who got an INT a couple years ago, just man among boys fast. Its my opinion, but even at this level he will present problems once acclimated.

Christian ran a 1.45 10yd Split and 2.45 20yd split recently.
To give everyone an idea there, Deshawn Jackson's was a 1.55 coming out of college and MVS ran a 2.58 20yd

He's considerably faster than MVS or Jackson, which sound just crazy to say that

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Took a bit for him to "emerge" but Christian Watson has been named NFL's Rookie of the Month for November. 14 catches for 289 yards & 6 TD's!! Hope this continues for the next 5 weeks & he claims the honor for the season, also.
He and Love are going to light it up in December! ;)

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Christian ran a 1.45 10yd Split and 2.45 20yd split recently.
To give everyone an idea there, Deshawn Jackson's was a 1.55 coming out of college and MVS ran a 2.58 20yd

He's considerably faster than MVS or Jackson, which sound just crazy to say that
Just to add a little more perspective to his physical toolset:

MVS is 6'4" and 200lbs with a 30.5" vertical
Desean is 5'10" and 175lbs with a recorded 34.5" vertical
Watson is 6'5" and roughly 205-210lbs with a 38.5" vertical

So in addition to being faster he is also bigger/taller and with greater reach/range than either of those guys too

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No question Watson is an elite athlete. Athletically, he's in the same league as Megatron and Moss. He just needs to stay healthy, otherwise he's more of a Joey Galloway receiver. Changes the game when healthy but often watching from the sidelines.

Members online

Latest posts