2022 Draft #34 Christian Watson

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I've said several times its possible and I don't care if that's how it works out I just don't think its likely.
I was pointing out a successful team that does it the way you were discussing. Several teams have 10 or 11 receivers with 100+ yards on the season. Just not the SB contenders.

D

Deleted member 6794

My preference is that in addition to moving closer to a more balanced run pass offense we get Dillon and Jones even more involved in the passing game but I just don't see it happening.

Actually, I fully expect Jones and Dillon to be more involved in the passing game this season. Rodgers targeted a running back on 55.5% of his throws over the seven games Adams missed from 2018-20.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, I fully expect Jones and Dillon to be more involved in the passing game this season. Rodgers targeted a running back on 55.5% of his throws over the seven games Adams missed from 2018-20.
Buddy of mine posed a question which is down the same route as this - Kylin Hill healthy all season which is more likely he gets 200 yards rushing or 200 yards receiving?

D

Deleted member 6794

Buddy of mine posed a question which is down the same route as this - Kylin Hill healthy all season which is more likely he gets 200 yards rushing or 200 yards receiving?

I guess as long as both Jones and Dillon stay healthy Hill will more likely exceed 200 receiving yards in 2022.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's an interesting stat. And they were 7-0 in those games, right?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was going to put them just underneath TE3/4 production..
but We had to put them both on PUP and
season ending IR.

Oops! Goofed!!
Can one of you guys, or both, offer your opinion on the best available FA WRs? I don't count OBJ as he's likely to miss the entire year. What about Julio Jones. Great receiver, but injured a lot.

Or, a much tougher question - can they work out a trade for a veteran WR? Ideally someone on a team with no chance at a SB. The Packers have extra cap with the Alexander extension, and they can cut Lowry. Just curious. And anyone can answer, even to say it's close to impossible.....

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
That's an interesting stat. And they were 7-0 in those games, right?
The Packers have won 7 straight games when Adams didn't play. However, that is since MLF took over. I doubt they were undefeated prior to the start of that streak.

Also, it is worth noting the Packers are only 5-4 when Adams has 140-plus receiving yards.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have won 7 straight games when Adams didn't play. However, that is since MLF took over. I doubt they were undefeated prior to the start of that streak.

Also, it is worth noting the Packers are only 5-4 when Adams has 140-plus receiving yards.
Further proof that when they are losing or in tight games Rodgers tended to look to Adams? I'm not saying its bad to go to your go to guy because he is your go to guy for a reason. These two stats should make some people happy.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Further proof that when they are losing or in tight games Rodgers tended to look to Adams? I'm not saying its bad to go to your go to guy because he is your go to guy for a reason. These two stats should make some people happy.
I think what it says is that the Packers can win consistently without Adams. We're about to find out.

Reaction score
Can one of you guys, or both, offer your opinion on the best available FA WRs? I don't count OBJ as he's likely to miss the entire year. What about Julio Jones. Great receiver, but injured a lot.

Or, a much tougher question - can they work out a trade for a veteran WR?
Julio, TY Hilton, Fuller, A Brown, OBJ are the most notable.
I really don’t see a Free Agent WR that is both a schematic fit (not a Slot WR etc..) or that doesn’t have a major ? ?
Julio is probably the best option, yet he has a $22m per contract just past season. He’s not coming at vet minimum. Not even close.

There’s 2 primary options the Packers have concerning FA.
1. Wait until mid-season and get the fractional contract discount (if there is need)
2. Get a veteran WR that takes away from developing our current group and ultimately doesn’t give us that much more production (imo) It’s really a conundrum.

If we get Julio. We rarely use more than 2 perimeter guys. So it’s Julio and which 2 sit it out??
Select 2 to bench (forgive the language, but for all practical purposes) and it becomes crystal clear it’s not as easy as it sounds.

Watson ?
Watkins?
Lazard?

Unless the sky falls? Me Thinks it’s extremely unwise to keep signing more WR, especially from that above group. Julio would have to come on a “prove it” price. All that said, I think we might be surprised at what the current WR group brings to the production meeting table.

This group might be “Medium Ceiling”
but it’s also “Medium Floor”

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Julio, TY Hilton, Fuller, A Brown, OBJ are the most notable.
I really don’t see a Free Agent WR that is both a schematic fit (not a Slot WR etc..) or that doesn’t have a major ? ?
Julio is probably the best option, yet he has a $22m per contract just past season. He’s not coming at vet minimum. Not even close.

There’s 2 primary options the Packers have concerning FA.
1. Wait until mid-season and get the fractional contract discount (if there is need)
2. Get a veteran WR that takes away from developing our current group and ultimately doesn’t give us that much more production (imo) It’s really a conundrum.

If we get Julio. We rarely use more than 2 perimeter guys. So it’s Julio and which 2 sit it out??
Select 2 to bench (forgive the language, but for all practical purposes) and it becomes crystal clear it’s not as easy as it sounds.

Watson ?
Watkins?
Lazard?

Unless the sky falls? Me Thinks it’s extremely unwise to keep signing more WR, especially from that above group. Julio would have to come on a “prove it” price. All that said, I think we might be surprised at what the current WR group brings to the production meeting table.

This group might be “Medium Ceiling”
but it’s also “Medium Floor”
Agree that adding more average WRs is not gonna help. And if Julio Jones thinks anyone will give him more that $10 mil he's nuts. Probably best to play with the guys on board. Weed them out and then addd more next year through the draft or (less likely) FA.

D

Deleted member 6794

OBJ might be able to contribute late in the regular season. He might actually present a decent option if the receiving corps struggles during the early stages.

Actually they were 0-3, scoring a total of only 11 points while being shut out twice, in the three previous games Adams missed. Of course it was Huntley and Kizer playing the majority of snaps at quarterback in those games.

I guess the defense having given up 34.8 points per game in the four losses has something to do with it as well.

I would feel way more comfortable about the receiving corps if the Packers added another veteran to the roster. Especially considering they lack talent at tight end as well.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The main time I see drops in him is often times do to his late hand movement. That can be a good thing not tipping off DBs but it also can be tough to also yield soft hands with the ball. It can really be seen in the back shoulder toss video from practice the other day. Romeo is much more fluid and his hand come into position a touch sooner in the turn where Watson shoots his arms out in a snap at the last second - I think he will be fine long term and everyone has to remember he is not a dude coming from a massive program and is a rookie - refinement a plenty exists.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The main time I see drops in him is often times do to his late hand movement. That can be a good thing not tipping off DBs but it also can be tough to also yield soft hands with the ball. It can really be seen in the back shoulder toss video from practice the other day. Romeo is much more fluid and his hand come into position a touch sooner in the turn where Watson shoots his arms out in a snap at the last second - I think he will be fine long term and everyone has to remember he is not a dude coming from a massive program and is a rookie - refinement a plenty exists.
As long as he doesn't end up being a J'Mon Moore. I'm not ultra concerned with it, but it is definitely something he will need to work a lot on. Maybe it is a good thing Rodgers skipped OTA's, all his eye rolls wouldn't be the best thing for a rookie with drop problems.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good points. And bringing his hands out at the last moment was a strength of Davante Adams. Now he could have confidence that Rodgers was gonna put it on a dime, but Adams never gave away that the ball was coming his way until the last second.

I imagine that's a skill that has to be learned. The first reaction for a receiver would be to isolate the ball in the air, figure out how close it would be to his body, and then reach accordingly. Of course a good DB will see that and either turn his head around for an INT, or just put his hands up to interfere with the catch.

So Watson might take some time, but he should do well catching balls from Rodgers. That back shoulder sideline pass has been a staple of GB's offense for a while. Adams was good at it, Jordy was good at it, Jared Cook was good at it - who am I missing?

I have a hunch Romeo is gonna surprise people in a good way when the action starts, for the reasons you note.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As long as he doesn't end up being a J'Mon Moore. I'm not ultra concerned with it, but it is definitely something he will need to work a lot on. Maybe it is a good thing Rodgers skipped OTA's, all his eye rolls wouldn't be the best thing for a rookie with drop problems.
J'Mon Moore was a talker and not much more. Just my opinion. And yeah, that Rodgers' eye roll or glare is enough to shoot down any rookie (or veteran). Stay in Malibu for a while!

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good points. And bringing his hands out at the last moment was a strength of Davante Adams. Now he could have confidence that Rodgers was gonna put it on a dime, but Adams never gave away that the ball was coming his way until the last second.

I imagine that's a skill that has to be learned. The first reaction for a receiver would be to isolate the ball in the air, figure out how close it would be to his body, and then reach accordingly. Of course a good DB will see that and either turn his head around for an INT, or just put his hands up to interfere with the catch.

So Watson might take some time, but he should do well catching balls from Rodgers. That back shoulder sideline pass has been a staple of GB's offense for a while. Adams was good at it, Jordy was good at it, Jared Cook was good at it - who am I missing?

I have a hunch Romeo is gonna surprise people in a good way when the action starts, for the reasons you note.

Lazard back shoulders have been awesome as well. He and Rodgers have a nack like he and Nelson did for the deep floating back shoulders which is a special thing.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pfffttt, if you're going to crumble from an eye roll at this stage of the game, best to find out now and get him gone cause he's never going to get good if that's the extent of their mental fortitude.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pfffttt, if you're going to crumble from an eye roll at this stage of the game, best to find out now and get him gone cause he's never going to get good if that's the extent of their mental fortitude.

I don't disagree with either sentiment...I also think that if AR was there he understands it is OTAs and the rooks are getting a TON of installs shoved at them and the sheer factor they're taking balls from a GOAT is intimidating even if you claim it isn't. He reserves his eyerolls and Cutler poutfits for moments when guys that do know better or he trusts to know things and they fail.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lazard back shoulders have been awesome as well. He and Rodgers have a nack like he and Nelson did for the deep floating back shoulders which is a special thing.
Right - I forgot Lazard but he's made some very athletic catches.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
J'Mon Moore was a talker and not much more. Just my opinion. And yeah, that Rodgers' eye roll or glare is enough to shoot down any rookie (or veteran). Stay in Malibu for a while!

I honestly don't think there is much more a rookie WR could be learning from Aaron Rodgers at this point than he can from the other guys. If he is going to be dropping passes thrown by Love and Benkert he's probably going to be dropping passes thrown by Rodgers as well. Its even possible that balls not thrown as perfectly will help his concentration.

While I don't think an eye roll should have much affect at this point as Mondio says what might a few dropped passes thrown by Rodgers do to his confidence in a WR. Apparently WR Rodgers was so bad that QB Rodgers only threw him the ball 8 times last year. I'd hate to se QB Rodgers come in and see CW drop a bunch of balls and decide he won't throw to him either.

Latest posts