2022 Draft #34 Christian Watson

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I honestly don't think there is much more a rookie WR could be learning from Aaron Rodgers at this point than he can from the other guys. If he is going to be dropping passes thrown by Love and Benkert he's probably going to be dropping passes thrown by Rodgers as well. Its even possible that balls not thrown as perfectly will help his concentration.

While I don't think an eye roll should have much affect at this point as Mondio says what might a few dropped passes thrown by Rodgers do to his confidence in a WR. Apparently WR Rodgers was so bad that QB Rodgers only threw him the ball 8 times last year. I'd hate to se QB Rodgers come in and see CW drop a bunch of balls and decide he won't throw to him either.
Those are all good reasons for QB Rodgers to stay away from these early activities.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I honestly don't think there is much more a rookie WR could be learning from Aaron Rodgers at this point than he can from the other guys. If he is going to be dropping passes thrown by Love and Benkert he's probably going to be dropping passes thrown by Rodgers as well. Its even possible that balls not thrown as perfectly will help his concentration.

While I don't think an eye roll should have much affect at this point as Mondio says what might a few dropped passes thrown by Rodgers do to his confidence in a WR. Apparently WR Rodgers was so bad that QB Rodgers only threw him the ball 8 times last year. I'd hate to se QB Rodgers come in and see CW drop a bunch of balls and decide he won't throw to him either.
IMO that is not a good analogy. QB Rodgers and WR Rodgers were not on the field together very much if memory serves.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it didn't stop him from throwing to adams when he was a drops machine early in his career.
Yeah I'm not worried about Rodgers cutting off a rookie over drops. Adams is a good example. If a pattern of drops develops then that's a problem but that's also what the coaches are for.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed, a receiver will end up in Rodgers' doghouse by not running the correct route pretty fast though.
Rodgers will give the rookies leeway in camp (well, when he's actually practicing). If they start dropping passes or running the wrong routes during the season, Rodgers' patience will be very thin.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers will give the rookies leeway in camp (well, when he's actually practicing). If they start dropping passes or running the wrong routes during the season, Rodgers' patience will be very thin.
Which kind of sucks imho. Although I believe he has gotten more patient and less reactive the past two years. Unless it is really flagrant and important; I wish he would keep it to himself.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I Which kind of sucks imho. Although I believe he has gotten more patient and less reactive the past two years. Unless it is really flagrant and important; I wish he would keep it to himself.
I'd rather he take a guy aside on the sideline and explain what went wrong, and how to fix it. Stop the on-field looks of disgust or disappointment.

For all I know he is having those sideline conversations.

Reaction score
I will say that whatever Rodgers does at correction, it seems to work. He’s definitely corrects Receivers, but sometimes those awkward moments becoming learning moments for a young Receiver. Rodgers expects much.

I’ll never forget when Corey Linsley started at Center his Rookie season because of an early season injury to our starter. He had to play at Seattle in that noisy stadium and he did something that irritated Rodgers and Aaron gave him a mouthful. It was his first game against a SB caliber team! I believe that pushed Linsley to perfect swim vs sink. We know the rest of history and whatever he said to Corey left a huge impression.

Feelings are going to get hurt when you mold your understudies. It’s part of making people stronger. Provided you are respectful and also praise those same guys when it clicks.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will say that whatever Rodgers does at correction, it seems to work. He’s definitely corrects Receivers, but sometimes those awkward moments becoming learning moments for a young Receiver. Rodgers expects much.

I’ll never forget when Corey Linsley started at Center his Rookie season because of an early season injury to our starter. He had to play at Seattle in that noisy stadium and he did something that irritated Rodgers and Aaron gave him a mouthful. It was his first game against a SB caliber team!

I believe that pushed Linsley to perfect swim vs sink. We know the rest of history and whatever he said to Corey left a huge impression. Boy was Aaron hot. I don’t think Corey ever wanted to disappoint him like that again. Aaron Rodgers gets the mist out of his teammates and if it takes a little animation doing it? Just get them up to speed it’s their career on the line.
Yeah there's another way to look at it by a rookie - he's being taught by one of the best QBs in NFL history. If the rookies are smart, they make the most of this rare opportunity.

Reaction score
Yeah there's another way to look at it by a rookie - he's being taught by one of the best QBs in NFL history. If the rookies are smart, they make the most of this rare opportunity.
One day it would be neat to have a “All-Decade” or “All-SB Era” type re-do draft from players past.
Aaron Rodgers would likely get the #1 overall spot in the last 20 years. Tom Brady’s right there. The length of his career and accolades is argument he’s #1 overall.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The main time I see drops in him is often times do to his late hand movement. That can be a good thing not tipping off DBs but it also can be tough to also yield soft hands with the ball. It can really be seen in the back shoulder toss video from practice the other day. Romeo is much more fluid and his hand come into position a touch sooner in the turn where Watson shoots his arms out in a snap at the last second - I think he will be fine long term and everyone has to remember he is not a dude coming from a massive program and is a rookie - refinement a plenty exists.
Something I noticed. While Watson did have a pretty high drop rate, his overall catch rate actually was a solid #32/117WR He only had several notable players with a better catch %

Catch% rank/117 qualified WR
Drop% rank/117 qualified WR

Christian Watson 32/117
(drop rate 95/117)

Drake London 15/117
(Drop rate 74/117)

Treylon Burks 14/117
(Drop 38/117)

WanDale Robinson 13/117
(Drop 43/117)

Sky Moore 10/117
(Drop 17/117)
Many good receivers had worse catch %. Such as

Chris Olave catch #59/117
Garrett Wilson catch #34/117
Jameson Williams #41/117
Jahan Dotson #54/117
Jalen Tolbert #65/117

So my question for Watson is this: If he fixes those drops where he erases half of them? Where would his very respectable #32/117 catch ranking go to?

top #20/117?
Top #10/117? (Best in Class)

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope that was tongue n cheek?

Fantastic player…Terrible Coach
I meant as a QB. I was comparing him to Rodgers. Who is not a coach. And who knows, Maybe Starr would have been a great position coach at QB or receiver. Not a head coach though.

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One day it would be neat to have a “All-Decade” or “All-SB Era” type re-do draft from players past.
Aaron Rodgers would likely get the #1 overall spot in the last 20 years. Tom Brady’s right there. The length of his career and accolades is argument he’s #1 overall.
I would certainly think Brady would get #1 from everyone not a Packer fan or NE hater. He has just won too many big games.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would certainly think Brady would get #1 from everyone not a Packer fan or NE hater. He has just won too many big games.
I don't believe in GOATs in team sports, but Brady is as close as anyone has ever gotten. Hell ya he'd be #1. And I'm no NE fan.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I prefer the Bart Starr method of instructing players.
Chewing them out at in the huddle in front of 9 teammates? That's what he did to Steve Wright one day when Starr was getting pummeled all afternoon by the guy Wright was blocking. :)

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chewing them out at in the huddle in front of 9 teammates? That's what he did to Steve Wright one day when Starr was getting pummeled all afternoon by the guy Wright was blocking. :)
That was not his MO though.

D

Deleted member 6794

As mentioned in other threads, Rodgers doesn't excuse running the wrong routes. He gives more leeway to players who drop the ball.

Something I noticed. While Watson did have a pretty high drop rate, his overall catch rate actually was a solid #32/117WR He only had several notable players with a better catch %

Catch% rank/117 qualified WR
Drop% rank/117 qualified WR

Christian Watson 32/117
(drop rate 95/117)

Drake London 15/117
(Drop rate 74/117)

Treylon Burks 14/117
(Drop 38/117)

WanDale Robinson 13/117
(Drop 43/117)

Sky Moore 10/117
(Drop 17/117)
Many good receivers had worse catch %. Such as

Chris Olave catch #59/117
Garrett Wilson catch #34/117
Jameson Williams #41/117
Jahan Dotson #54/117
Jalen Tolbert #65/117

So my question for Watson is this: If he fixes those drops where he erases half of them? Where would his very respectable #32/117 catch ranking go to?

top #20/117?
Top #10/117? (Best in Class)

I would be interested in the source of those numbers.

Reaction score
I would be interested in the source of those numbers.
Oh. I just make things up. Who needs a source when you’ve got Oldschool type credibility. :tup:

PS. Just joking here it is. I’m glad you asked. I hadn’t noticed before now, but look how stellar Romeo Doubs grades were. Other than blocking though boy he sucks there!
(WR #24 on the list)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Oh. I just make things up. Who needs a source when you’ve got Oldschool type credibility. :tup:

PS. Just joking here it is. I’m glad you asked. I hadn’t noticed before now, but look how stellar Romeo Doubs grades were. Other than blocking though boy he sucks there!
(WR #24 on the list)

Thanks for the link, interesting stats.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"As mentioned in other threads, Rodgers doesn't excuse running the wrong routes. He gives more leeway to players who drop the ball."

This quote is from Cap. And it's an important distinction. The QB has to throw the ball to a spot and must begin the throw before the receiver makes a cut or even looks for the ball. In the best case, the receiver turns his head and the ball is right there. That means the pass was well thrown and the route was well run.

Now I've still seen balls dropped in those situations. Usually when the receiver takes his eyes off the ball for a fraction of a second and looks upfield. Those mistakes are easily corrected.

But if the receiver is even a yard from where he should be, it's likely an incompletion or interception. Those mental lapses are infuriating. They can be corrected as well, but require more work.

Every receiver runs a bad route now and then - rounding off a cut, cutting late, not cutting at all. But if it happens too many times, the QB will not throw to that receiver.

Members online

Latest posts