2021 Intriguing Draft Prospects

OP
OP
PackFan2

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chubba Hubbard is a physically intriguing player to watch. That OSU offense was weird, haven't seen that weird T formation since high school. Though Hubbard is a good blocker, decent runner.. he fumbles too much. So I took him off my list.

OP
OP
PackFan2

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just watched the Chris Simms interview with Caleb Farley... Great interview... Of course, prospects will say they have no "weakness" in their game in public. I think it's crazy Farley's only been a CB for two years and looks pretty good. "Like really? This dude's been a CB for only 2 years?" Recognizes routes and screens, often at times tackling or disrupting the WR at the line of scrimmage. What he lacks in technique, his athleticism just makes up for it ran 4.28 laser time. I can definitely see him dropping into the late 1 and early 2nd round due to injury concerns (back issues + old ACL injury). Big hit or miss.

OP
OP
PackFan2

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Packers draft K.J. Britt... It will just show us theyre still stuck in the 1990s-2000s ILB 240-265lb big slow thumper..
I'm hoping the packers take Cam McGrone...

Last edited:

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Packers draft K.J. Britt... It will just show us theyre still stuck in the 1990s-2000s ILB 240-265lb big slow thumper..
I'm hoping the packers take Cam McGrone...

What LB have they drafted recently that’s like that?

Burks wasn’t, Kamal Martin wasn’t. Even the UDFA’s they’ve signed haven’t been in that mold.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Burks wasn’t, Kamal Martin wasn’t. Even the UDFA’s they’ve signed haven’t been in that mold.

Honestly, Kendall Donnerson in 2018 draft...but he was a 7th round flyer.

Biegel was in 2017 (4th rounder) and would qualify probably.

Burks, Summers, Kamal, Barnes (UDFA) are the last 4 and none fit that description however.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually looked up Biegel, that dude for as big as he was (wasn't anything massive) was very athletic! Nearly a 9.00 RAS score, running a sub 4.7 40yd and 6.92 cone drill

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, Kendall Donnerson in 2018 draft...but he was a 7th round flyer.

Biegel was in 2017 (4th rounder) and would qualify probably.

Burks, Summers, Kamal, Barnes (UDFA) are the last 4 and none fit that description however.

Donnerson and Biegel are/were edges. So no, they don’t qualify. Donnerson in particular was a very athletic edge.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Donnerson and Biegel are/were edges. So no, they don’t qualify. Donnerson in particular was a very athletic edge.

My bad, I quickly looked on wiki for past picks, saw LB and weights.

In that case Bishop be the last one? Although h even he was quite athletic

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My bad, I quickly looked on wiki for past picks, saw LB and weights.

In that case Bishop be the last one? Although h even he was quite athletic

Could maybe argue Martinez...he wasn’t really a heavy thumper, but he wasn’t super athletic either.

Bishop is the last I can remember of that play style they drafted, and then they traded for BJ Goodson.

GB just hasn’t valued ILB enough to draft a ton of them.

OP
OP
PackFan2

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Blake Martinez, Jake Ryan, Sam Barrington
though not drafted by GB- Antonio Morrison, BJ Goodson falls into that category.

Whatever the case is don't get KJ Britt.

OP
OP
PackFan2

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GB just hasn’t valued ILB enough to draft a ton of them.
I guess I'm just bitter about that fact :(
Been pounding the table for an ILB like a Shazier since that 2014 draft. I'm still bitter about the 2016 draft picking Spriggs over Deion Jones.
Like you said though, glad to see the Packers finally changing up their mindset on ILB.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Blake Martinez, Jake Ryan, Sam Barrington
though not drafted by GB- Antonio Morrison, BJ Goodson falls into that category.

Whatever the case is don't get KJ Britt.

Jake Ryan was an above average athlete for an ILB. He wasn’t a slow thumper.

Blake Martinez wasn’t a good athlete, but he wasn’t what I would call a thumper either. Just an instinctive player lacking physical traits.

Barrington was a 7th rounder, I wouldn’t put too much stock into the trend lines on late day 3. They’re just filling the roster there.

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess I'm just bitter about that fact :(
Been pounding the table for an ILB like a Shazier since that 2014 draft. I'm still bitter about the 2016 draft picking Spriggs over Deion Jones.
Like you said though, glad to see the Packers finally changing up their mindset on ILB.

Good luck convincing this group. I’m with you. I’m over all of these late round dart throws at the position because it has gotten us nowhere. Other NFL Teams draft ILB in the first two rounds annually but what do they know... lol I would absolutely love to draft a difference maker early.

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2015 - 4
2016 - 1
2017 - 0
2018 - 3 including Buffalo's 2nd swing.
PFR stopped breaking down ILB and OLB after that season

2019- Devin White, Devin Bush, Jahlani Tavai

2020- Isaiah Simmons, Kenneth Murray, Patrick Queen.

Most likely another three or four this year.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2019- Devin White, Devin Bush, Jahlani Tavai

2020- Isaiah Simmons, Kenneth Murray, Patrick Queen.

Most likely another three or four this year.

And how well has that worked out?

Good ILB’s are important, but man, I still think they’re the least important on the field position wise.

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And how well has that worked out?

Good ILB’s are important, but man, I still think they’re the least important on the field position wise.

Baltimore and Pittsburg had the #2 and #3 ranked defenses. Tampa was #8 and the Cardinals were #12 so I’d say it worked out pretty well. The game has changed. Some RB’s are targeted a ridiculous 10-15 times some games. TE’s are getting smaller and faster and not having “that guy” who can turn and run with these guys puts a defense at a huge advantage. I understand the mentality behind what your saying but it obviously hasn’t been working for Us. We’ve wasted a lot of draft picks for less than stellar play. It’s no different than drafting other positions. You get what you pay for. Grab a Devante Adams in round #2 or throw darts at guys like J’mon, MVS, & EQ in later rounds and pray they pan out.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Baltimore and Pittsburg had the #2 and #3 ranked defenses. Tampa was #8 and the Cardinals were #12 so I’d say it worked out pretty well. The game has changed. Some RB’s are targeted a ridiculous 10-15 times some games. TE’s are getting smaller and faster and not having “that guy” who can turn and run with these guys puts a defense at a huge advantage. I understand the mentality behind what your saying but it obviously hasn’t been working for Us. We’ve wasted a lot of draft picks for less than stellar play. It’s no different than drafting other positions. You get what you pay for. Grab a Devante Adams in round #2 or throw darts at guys like J’mon, MVS, & EQ in later rounds and pray they pan out.
14 in the past 6 drafts. Not even half the teams let alone
Other NFL Teams draft ILB in the first two rounds annually
(I am interpreting that to mean nearly every team has drafted one high recently.)

D

Deleted member 6794

Baltimore and Pittsburg had the #2 and #3 ranked defenses. Tampa was #8 and the Cardinals were #12 so I’d say it worked out pretty well.

Neither Devin Bush (who played less than 300 snaps) nor Patrick Queen (who was terrible as a rookie) had anything to do with the Steelers and Ravens finish in top three on points allowed though. Kenneth Murray played less than 400 snaps for the Cardinals as well.

It's true the Buccaneers' duo of Lavonte David and Devin White gave the Packers some fits but they weren't the main reason Tampa finished eighth in points allowed either.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts